Start by marking “La Recta y el Punto: Un Romance Matematico” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
La Recta y el Punto: U...

Norton Juster

La Recta y el Punto: Un Romance Matematico

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,146 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
The endearing fable about a straight line who falls in love with a dot and sets out to win her heart away from a squiggle. A borderline classic; 70,000 sold to date!
Published April 1st 2011 by Fondo de Cultura Economica USA (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about La Recta y el Punto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Recta y el Punto

Seth
Dec 13, 2007 Seth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, people feeling lost in life
Not as well-known as Norman Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth, but much more to-the-point.

This book concerns a line. Our line is trying to get the attention of the dot he loves.
The dot falls in love with a squiggle.

It is, in short, a classic love triangle. Ha! Get it? A triangle! I kill me!

Ahem... back to the review.

The book's point is about the line's self-concept and self-esteem. He sees the squiggle as everything he can't be (and he truly can't). By the end, he learns what he can be instead, an
Brandy
Jun 19, 2008 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aw, come on, Line. You can do better than Dot. Especially after your burst of personal growth! Why didn't you outgrow Dot?

I don't think this is the message I'm supposed to take from this story. I finished it with similar feelings to how I feel about Shel Silverstein's sweet story of codependency The Missing Piece Meets the Big O--a nagging suspicion that I was supposed to find it charming and romantic but instead feeling pity and a mild revulsion to the dynamic.

Why everyone should read this any
Kathryn
Jun 22, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wedding present from one of Tyler's friends and, I must admit, absolutely perfect for him! ;-> It's a bit off-beat, quirky, slightly silly yet at the same time being very witty and thoughtful--while managing to be a good romance. The pictures are great and fit well with the text, adding more humor. It's a very quick read and, while I'm not sure I would recommend it to absolutely everyone--if you're in the mood for a fun and surprisingly well-written little tale about all the ways in which a ...more
Amy Neftzger
Mar 15, 2014 Amy Neftzger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genius.

That would be my one word review, but for those of you who want more I would call this one of the best picture books I've ever read. The story is both simple and complex, much like mathematics. It's the story of a line who's in love with a dot and the plot is filled with all the agony of unrequited love for the entire 80 pages, which will take less than 15 minutes to read. But these will be the most amusing 15 minutes of your day as you explore the theme of love through lower mathematics.
Kristy
I love it. It's for adults and children. My mother, me, an 8-year-old boy, and a 5-year-old boy all enjoyed this at the same time. My husband even chimed in from across the room as I was reading it aloud that it sounded like that Phantom Tollbooth book. Sure did!

Readers should know it is a picture-book length. Plenty of words and illustrations to enjoy, but not a chapter book. Our edition is a small size for a picture book.

Entirely enjoyable.
Loren
May 09, 2012 Loren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as charming as I remembered it. Reread it to remind myself that it is not necessarily a bad thing I am giving up a squiggly life for a straight line life for at least a while. Inspiring! And beautifully, simply done. Treat yourself to a few minutes of a perfect picture book.
(For adults. I wouldn't want a girl to have the dot as a role model or a boy to emulate the line's affections and wooing, but I don't think that is really the intention or the point. He has an idea to convey and a fun w
Marck Rimorin
Jan 16, 2015 Marck Rimorin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first encountered "The Dot and the Line" as a kid, watching the MGM cartoon adaptation. The short film is a very faithful - if not direct - adaptation of this work.

Without spoiling much, this is basically a love triangle expressed in geometry. The artwork is brilliant; the turns of phrase are funny and witty. The message rings true and clear for children and adults. Cute, adorable, and meaningful. Perhaps the most charming book I ever read.
Allie
Oct 01, 2015 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny punny little book from Norton Juster, author of my very favorite book The Phantom Tollbooth. I love the 60's graphic visual style too. I wish we had a copy in good condition, but alas my library only has a super beat up first edition.
Lisa Vegan
Sep 26, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who appreciates an imaginative book
Just read this in 2007 (thanks to seeing it on Goodreads users' shelves); wish I had been able to read the original 1963 edition. I wasn’t sure what bookshelves to put this book on; I was tempted to create a new shelf.

This is a very inventive story about a love triangle between a dot, a line and a squiggle.

A cute story told in pictures & words, with some geometry/math, a love story, a story about developing and improving oneself.

I might have given it 5 stars, but I thought it was unfairly c
Zachary Littrell
A book about geometric romance. Math puns ahoy! He was 'stretching a point.' 'To the vector goes the spoils.' And lots of other cute plays-on-words in a mathy love triangle (aha, see? I can do math puns too!).

For the pictures and cuteness, this would get four stars. But it gets three stars because of what a crappy moral it presents for being a book oriented towards kid readers. We have the line, the dot, and the squiggle, the dot being the love interest for the bad boy squiggle and dull line. An
Vivek Tejuja
Apr 04, 2015 Vivek Tejuja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are books that warm the soul. There are books that you know will have that effect on you. “The Dot and the Line” by Norton Juster is one such book. A friend recommended it to me and I borrowed her copy and could not stop gushing about it. It is a book that will make you chuckle, will make you want to cheer for the line and will make you want to go to your loved one and say, “I Love You” over and over again. When such books come along, you just read them and reread them and reread some more ...more
Amy
Sep 13, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the fanciful/mathematical drawings with lines - also liked the word selection -
I did not like the way the line changed himself for the dot -
although it could be argued that the line went on a journey of self discovery.
The problem is, the dot was not worthy of the line to begin with - and in the end, the line has a great depth of character, and the dot is - a dot.
Still, a very cute picture book -
Alina
Aug 13, 2015 Alina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and clever story with a good message. Instead of trying to be like someone else, be the best You can be! Whether you like Math or not, I think everyone could relate to this book somehow.
Duygu
Jul 29, 2014 Duygu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witty and true to heart! Because good people can and will fall for selfish balls.
Jessica
Adam
Dec 19, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's no denying the charm of this book, even for people not enamored with Mathematics. More than that it actually makes a good Philosophic and Scientific point. More than that, the illustrations are often absolutely lovely and copying them would probably make for a really satisfying doodle while you're bored in Math class.

However, part of me can't get over how judgmental the characters are toward each other! I felt certain the author must have been British given how snarky, calloused, and il
Kami
Oct 06, 2011 Kami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My good friend and neighbor just read this to me and our kids--it was very clever. Her husband (currently a Ph.D student in mathematics) had given it to her for Valentine's Day. I don't think our kids got it, but we were sure laughing hard.

Okay, I had to come back and edit this review after I read some of the other reviews saying how this sends a terrible message. That terrible message being that we should never have to change for someone else to like us. Umm....that's ridiculous. I have a lot o
Jeni
Aug 05, 2015 Jeni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently I had occasion to re-read one of my most favorite children’s book, Norton Juster’s The Phantom Tollbooth. Out of curiosity, I checked the Internet to see if he ever wrote anything else & I was pleasantly surprised that he had done a picture book entitled The Dot & the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics. It’s a delightful, although very short read (took me about 10 minutes or so), with quirky humor, visual puns and word play which extends to the author blurb. I re-read it sever ...more
Robin Conley
Nov 06, 2014 Robin Conley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There isn't a fabulous story here (not that I expected one), but the story is pretty adorable. It's a fun fast read. I think the biggest issues is that I dislike the dot, which makes the ending not as sweet because I wish the line had found someone better. (I know, this all sounds really ridiculous even as I'm typing it.) Anyway, it's an adorable story and very creative.
Nicola Mansfield
Amusing. Quite brilliant use of imagery and puns. The story of the line appealed to me the most as he persevered in making himself more than what was expected of him. The romance, on the other hand, which focused on the fickleness of the "she" was rather outdated and tedious. I'm not sure how a child would respond to this though as it seems it would be more fun for the adult
Karen
Sep 18, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this very nearly perfect book. It was, of course, a story so it was about words and wordplay. And it was about Art. And it was most definitely about Mathematics, and perhaps as advertised about "lower Mathematics", but I would argue that Norton Juster elevated the Mathematics to a much higher level.

Kate
I've been really into the power of positive thinking and everything happens for a reason and so forth and so on lately. Even when I'm furious and screaming "I hate my life!" I'm laughing on the inside. So Joe gave me this book, which is the sweet story of a straight line trying to win the heart of a dot. The dot is in love with a squiggle, and the line must prove himself worthy of her love by being the best line he can be, while the squiggle remains a squiggle.

Originally published in 1963, this
Cherry
Jul 09, 2015 Cherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Once upon a time there was a sensible straight line who was hopelessly in love with a dot. "You're the beginning and the end, the hub, the core, and the quintessence."'

Short and sweet. Just like this book. :)
ana valdés
Oct 11, 2015 ana valdés rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun book to read. Inspiring because the line worked with herself, and the dot found her amusing. But the dot was pretty convenient.
If I was the line, I wouldn't have accepted the dot as my lover. :P
Charon
Feb 09, 2014 Charon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a romance novel.

I usually hate romance novels.

I like this one.

Conclusion: This romance novel is actually really good, because it is so good that somebody who usually hates romance novels likes it.
Jessica
May 16, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a picture book than anything else. It's by the author of The Phantom Tollbooth, which I LOVE, but this one is written as though for an even younger audience (I qualify with the "as though" because I think it's really meant for adults but is laid out like a toddler's picture book) and is mostly just silly, although sweet. It's about a line that falls in love with a dot, but the dot is in love with a squiggle. The line teaches himself to bend into various other shapes to impress her, and ...more
Renee
Oct 10, 2015 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Love it!! Although I was a little disappointed that (view spoiler).
Maybel
May 05, 2015 Maybel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a few months, the Line and the Dot got married.
Then a couple of years later, they had a baby and they named her "Segment".
And then they lived happily ever after.
Margie
Mar 25, 2014 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming "romance" about a straight line who falls for a lively red dot. Those who love math or science will appreciate this but enjoyable for anyone.
Penny Ramirez
I'm sure I must have read this as a child, and I do recall having seen the short film. My kind of romance. All about learning to step outside your comfort zone, to become everything that you can.
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Suzuki Beane
  • Henri's Walk to Paris
  • I Like Old Clothes
  • The Art of Miss Chew
  • Little Bird
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • Frankenstein
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)
  • Magical Mathematics: The Mathematical Ideas That Animate Great Magic Tricks
  • The Dirty Cowboy
  • Ojo in Oz (Book 27)
  • Ted
  • Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope
Norton Juster is an architect and planner, professor emeritus of design at Hampshire College, and the author of a number of highly acclaimed children's books, including The Dot and the Line, which was made into an Academy Award-winning animated film. He has collaborated with Sheldon Harnick on the libretto for an opera based on The Phantom Tollbooth. The musical adaptation, with a score by Arnold ...more
More about Norton Juster...