Start by marking “Excuse Me, I'm Trying to Read!” as Want to Read:

Excuse Me, I'm Trying to Read!

When a young girl tries to read surrounded by elephants, lions, monkeys and zebras, she is surprised, scared, and amused. When the animals want to read, the tables are turned. A fun-filled picture book that will earn giggles and laughs from children of all ages.
Published July 1st 2012 by Mackinac Island Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Excuse Me, I'm Trying to Read!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excuse Me, I'm Trying to Read!

Lori
Sep 22, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Might be useful for developing a sense of urgency during Daily 5
Manor Hill
Sep 06, 2016 Manor Hill rated it it was amazing
I read this book to our third graders. We loved learning about different animals from Africa and trying to guess what they would do to stop the girl from reading. We are going to take this book a step farther and research animals and create our own class book of Excuse Me, I'm Trying to Read! (3rd grade style of course!)
Jenny
Sep 09, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
Super cute. A girl is trying to read (this book, Excuse Me, I'm Trying to Read...with each illustration showing her holding the book open to a different page of the book... super fun addition!) but African animals keep disturbing her...from the dung beetle rolling its dung across her book to the African Ibis that perches on her head, its sharp claws in her hair, to the crocodile who is about to swallow her. There is a fun resolution at the end. The illustrations are a big part of what makes this ...more
Angie
Nov 26, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I girl is trying to read her book (Excuse Me, I'm Trying to Read in fact) and keeps getting disturbed by all kinds of animals. It is hard to read in a crocodile's mouth or with a snake wrapped around you. I like the fun descriptions of the animals and the cheekiness in having the book act as the book. There was only one animal I didn't get...why the zebra was laughing; it doesn't seem like a zebra characteristic like all the others.
Alexandria
A really cute book on the concept of not interrupting while someone is reading, as well as a good introduction to the idea of meta-commentary, Excuse Me, I'm Trying to Read! was a hit with the boys I babysit. The loved the animals and the various ways they went about interrupting the narrator. All in all, an enjoyable if not spectacularly noteworthy book.
Susanne
Oct 29, 2012 Susanne rated it it was amazing
My nephew Sammy (5) LOVES this book. We checked it out from the library, and he asked to read it every night. It's short and funny with great illustrations. He wants to buy a copy so he can have it to keep.
Theresa
Feb 10, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
Amani, Mary Jo
a silly story of African animals disturbing her reading... this little girl uses polite language
Paula
When a young girl tries to read surrounded by elephants, lions, monkeys, and zebras, she is surprised, scared, and amused. When the animals want to read, the tables are turned.
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 24, 2016 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Could be used in the classroom/library to practice making inferences - have students think of their own scenarios with reading and animals and then illustrate.
Uma
Uma rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Kellie
Kellie rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2014
Kimberly Herrin
Kimberly Herrin rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Clayton
Clayton rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Elisa
Elisa rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2013
L.K. Sukany
L.K. Sukany rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Aisha
Aisha rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
W.
W. rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2013
 Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Lupine
Lupine rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Abdulla Pop Uth
Abdulla Pop Uth rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
AZ Beavers
AZ Beavers rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2015
Xochitl
Xochitl rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2013
Lucia Izzy Fontán
Lucia Izzy Fontán rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Amy Holley
Amy Holley rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013