Start by marking “The Flip Side” as Want to Read:
The Flip Side

The Flip Side

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  52 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Do you know who you are? Easy question? Well, think again. Robert Hunt is one teenager who knows that there are a whole lot of people inside you, like a collection of masks. You change your mask according to the situation you find yourself in. A year ago Robert found himself in one pretty weird situation. He lost it for a while, and almost thought he was a psycho. So he wr ...more
Published August 12th 2003 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Flip Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flip Side

Simon
Mar 24, 2012 Simon rated it liked it
Some spoilers.

Yay. I read a whole book in one day. True, it was only 147 pages with large print, but hey, I feel like I'm a GR contender.

This is a British YA number about a 15 year old boy, Robert, who, by being cast to play Rosalind in a scene from As You Like It in an English class, discovers he likes to dress as a girl. His inner Rosalind is nurtured by Milena, also searching for her identity, who helps with his clothes and make-up. They get something going but run into problems when Milena f
Stephen
Mar 23, 2008 Stephen rated it really liked it
When English school lad, Robert is cast in the role of Rosalind opposite the crush-worthy Milena, the appeal of dressing as a girl and using make-up, and the attention that it gets from Milena quickly has him confused and questioning his assumptions about gender and stereotypes.

This is an amazing read. While it first seemed to be over too quickly, it accomplished everything it ought to. Personally I've never really understood the allure of tranvestitism among straights but this little book made
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
This British novel about gender and sexuality is cleverly staged around Shakespeare's gender-bending play As You Like It. When Robert is assigned the role of Rosalind in a class reading of the play, he is surprised to discover he not only enjoys dressing as girl, but that his crush Milena seems to like it too. As Robert struggles to wrap his mind around the idea that his preconceived notions of boys and girls no longer fit into little boxes, he raises more questions than answers, Milena agrees t ...more
Krystl Louwagie
Aug 22, 2010 Krystl Louwagie rated it really liked it
Review from 2006:

Alrighty, another YA GSA book. But! This one I really liked. :) It still wasn't *amazing*, but I did really enjoy it and it kept me reading it very swiftly (and, it is a really short book to begin with.)

It's about Rob, a boy that plays the role of a girl in one of Shakespeare's play's to get the full effect or whatever. When he does, he realizes he likes dressing like a girl, etc.

For it's genre, I'd give it 4 stars I think. And the "about the author" section is great-if you get
Ed
Sep 12, 2008 Ed marked it as to-read
Some YA Brit-fic about a genderbending Shakespeare performance in a contemporary British high school (whatever they call them there). In Shakespeare's day, the female roles were played by boys and men. It looks like in this book they have girls playing the male roles. We'll see. It's short--let's hope it's sweet.
Rekha
Jul 19, 2007 Rekha rated it liked it
Shelves: teenfiction, glbtq
Robert, who is straight, is asked to play a female role in a Shakespeare class at school and discovers that he enjoys cross-dressing. He confides in Milena, who plays the male part opposite him in the play, and she is understanding. They discover much about themselves in this sweet story that treats the subject matter in a positive, non-angsty way.
Alex
Oct 07, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Took me forever to find this book after I read it MONTHS AGO! Last school year! I really like how it was based through his life one way, and then it switched to how he kind of wanted his life to sort of be. Keeping everything inside basically made him not be able to be open and free with EVERYTHING, and the same goes for his friend. But I definitely enjoyed this book!!! :)
Courtney Weeks
Nov 10, 2015 Courtney Weeks rated it it was ok
Shelves: edu-365
This book addressed a very controversial topic that may be a struggle for some students. It could be a good book for those who do struggle with this. However, it might be too controversial and confusing for those who do not struggle with these issues.
Myanh
Sep 15, 2011 Myanh rated it really liked it
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2008
Hanna
Hanna rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Svedha
Svedha rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2011
Jee Jee
Jee Jee rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Bradley Lynn
Bradley Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Kellie
Kellie rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2011
Mariko Villacampo
Mariko Villacampo rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Angel
Angel rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2010
Beatrice
Beatrice rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2007
Nicol Ciaglia
Nicol Ciaglia rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2013
Miriam
Miriam rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2015
Asiyah Peterson
Asiyah Peterson rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2017
Rhi
Rhi rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Andrew Matthews was born in South Glamorgan in 1948. Andrew taught English in Hampshire after which he became a full-time writer. He lives in Reading with his wife and their cats. Andrew's work has been widely translated and he has made numerous appearances at schools and libraries throughout the UK.

Source: United Agents.
More about Andrew Matthews...