Start by marking “The Flip Side” as Want to Read:
The Flip Side

The Flip Side

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Do you know who you are? Easy question? Well, think again. Robert Hunt is one teenager who knows that there are a whole lot of people inside you, like a collection of masks. You change your mask according to the situation you find yourself in. A year ago Robert found himself in one pretty weird situation. He lost it for a while, and almost thought he was a psycho. So he wr...more
Published August 12th 2003 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Flip Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flip Side

Simon
Some spoilers.

Yay. I read a whole book in one day. True, it was only 147 pages with large print, but hey, I feel like I'm a GR contender.

This is a British YA number about a 15 year old boy, Robert, who, by being cast to play Rosalind in a scene from As You Like It in an English class, discovers he likes to dress as a girl. His inner Rosalind is nurtured by Milena, also searching for her identity, who helps with his clothes and make-up. They get something going but run into problems when Milena f...more
Stephen
When English school lad, Robert is cast in the role of Rosalind opposite the crush-worthy Milena, the appeal of dressing as a girl and using make-up, and the attention that it gets from Milena quickly has him confused and questioning his assumptions about gender and stereotypes.

This is an amazing read. While it first seemed to be over too quickly, it accomplished everything it ought to. Personally I've never really understood the allure of tranvestitism among straights but this little book made...more
Beth
This British novel about gender and sexuality is cleverly staged around Shakespeare's gender-bending play As You Like It. When Robert is assigned the role of Rosalind in a class reading of the play, he is surprised to discover he not only enjoys dressing as girl, but that his crush Milena seems to like it too. As Robert struggles to wrap his mind around the idea that his preconceived notions of boys and girls no longer fit into little boxes, he raises more questions than answers, Milena agrees t...more
Krystl Louwagie
Review from 2006:

Alrighty, another YA GSA book. But! This one I really liked. :) It still wasn't *amazing*, but I did really enjoy it and it kept me reading it very swiftly (and, it is a really short book to begin with.)

It's about Rob, a boy that plays the role of a girl in one of Shakespeare's play's to get the full effect or whatever. When he does, he realizes he likes dressing like a girl, etc.

For it's genre, I'd give it 4 stars I think. And the "about the author" section is great-if you get...more
Alex
Took me forever to find this book after I read it MONTHS AGO! Last school year! I really like how it was based through his life one way, and then it switched to how he kind of wanted his life to sort of be. Keeping everything inside basically made him not be able to be open and free with EVERYTHING, and the same goes for his friend. But I definitely enjoyed this book!!! :)
Rekha
Robert, who is straight, is asked to play a female role in a Shakespeare class at school and discovers that he enjoys cross-dressing. He confides in Milena, who plays the male part opposite him in the play, and she is understanding. They discover much about themselves in this sweet story that treats the subject matter in a positive, non-angsty way.
Ed
Sep 12, 2008 Ed marked it as to-read
Some YA Brit-fic about a genderbending Shakespeare performance in a contemporary British high school (whatever they call them there). In Shakespeare's day, the female roles were played by boys and men. It looks like in this book they have girls playing the male roles. We'll see. It's short--let's hope it's sweet.
Elliot
Elliot marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Sage
Sage marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Julie *Friday's Child*
Julie *Friday's Child* marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Piratedtofu
Piratedtofu marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Friday Sunday Grimm
Friday Sunday Grimm marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Katie
Katie added it
Nov 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Being Happy! Follow Your Heart Making Friends Happiness Now! Happiness in a Nutshell