Start by marking “Extinct Birds” as Want to Read:
Extinct Birds

Extinct Birds

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  4 reviews
We learn from an early age that nothing is quite so dead as a dodo. We've heard stories of flocks of passenger pigeons once darkening the skies over North America, only to be reduced to a single bird, Martha, who perished in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1914. Errol Fuller's illustrated Extinct Birds provides details of the natural history and fates of more than 80 species of birds...more
Hardcover
Published April 12th 2001 by Comstock Publishing (first published March 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Extinct Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extinct Birds

Pattrice
Elegiac. Moving. Maddening. Fuller's litany of lost birds is almost unbearable to read all the way through. The images alone (well chosen paintings, drawings, and photos) leave you reeling. The low-key yet often poetic verbal depictions of the birds and the reasons for their extinction--human depredation of one sort or another, usually--simultaneously convey the glory of biodiversity and the similarly boundless scope of human rapacity.
Tanyadee Reyes
Apr 08, 2008 Tanyadee Reyes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: other people who like moas
I don't know why I developed an interest in moas, but I did. Maybe it was that strange Nickelodeon cartoon in the 80's where all the little koalas get sucked up in a space ship in the last episode. Who knows?
I found this book to be highly informative. The writing was fine, and the illustrations were wonderful.
Nate
Meh. A Gap in Nature was better. It was crazy to read about the Takahe, once thought to be extinct, because I fucking saw one when I was in New Zealand!
Joel
An informative, though depressing book with gorgeous illustrations by artists who in many cases observed living specimens.
Madison Allen
Madison Allen marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Joel
Joel is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Last Ranger
Last Ranger marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Liberty
Liberty marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Tom Wiltison
Tom Wiltison marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Logan
Logan added it
Sep 10, 2013
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
David Woon
David Woon marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Eman Villanueva
Eman Villanueva marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Matthew Kibbey
Matthew Kibbey is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Dodo: A Brief History Lost Animals: Extinction and the Photographic Record The Great Auk The Dodo: Extinction in Paradise Lost Birds Of Paradise