Start by marking “Kartun Riwayat Peradaban Jilid II (Bab 8-13 : Dari Berseminya Cina Hingga Rontoknya Romawi) ” as Want to Read:

Kartun Riwayat Peradaban Jilid II (Bab 8-13 : Dari Berseminya Cina Hingga Rontoknya Romawi) (Cartoon History of the Universe book II; vol. 8-13)

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  1,504 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Buku ini merupakan jilid ke-2 trilogi Kartun Riwayat Peradaban.

Dalam buku ini Gonick melukiskan bagaimana peradaban di India dan Tiongkok muncul dan berkembang. Juga dipaparkan bagaimana agama Hindu, Buddha, dan Kristen muncul.

Dalam buku ini pula Gonick memperlihatkan bagaimana bangkit dan runtuhnya Kekaisaran Roma.

*************************************

Komentar tentang Ka
Published 2006 by Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia (first published September 18th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Kartun Riwayat Peradaban Jilid II (Bab 8-13 , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kartun Riwayat Peradaban Jilid II (Bab 8-13

I've read this book before, a long, long time ago, but my brother-in-law, Josh, didn't know that when he bought it for me for my birthday. What he did know is that I own (and love) The Cartoon History of the Universe I (especially for its cartoon depiction of the process of evolution), so this was a good bet, and even though I'd read it before, I devoured it fairly quickly after receiving it.

The subtitle of this book is From the Springtime of China to the Fall of Rome, and it is primarily about
Kogiopsis
Hmm. Cool idea, actually - a history of everything in graphic novel form - though this volume at least doesn't deserve to be called a history of the universe since it's focused on human civilization on one puny planet. Still, it was interesting. Lots of detail for a fairly quick read, not much of which I retained.
At first I expected it to be the sort of thing that one could give to a kid to introduce them to history, but later on it became clear that no, one could not. The kid would have some...
Adih Respati
Aug 02, 2007 Adih Respati rated it really liked it
The comic almost-version of Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. MIT's Mathematican Gonick tells all: From Big Bang, evolution, religion, modern civilization. For newbies, this is introduction. Those familiar with the subjects will find Gonick's sense of humor is deeply symbollic and accurate.

If you notice, no english edition of this book available at any local bookstore. That said something about Gramedia's distribution policy.
Mycala
May 09, 2017 Mycala rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed this, but it was so busy. Everything moved so fast and they were trying to be so comprehensive I feel like I was still missing a lot and trying to cram too much in.
Harold Ogle
I've always enjoyed this series, but I'd only ever read volume 1, which I bought probably twenty years ago. So I was delighted to see this in the library and checked it out on impulse.

My reaction with this volume - as we get into more of the history of nations than the first volume - is that it would have greatly benefited from a different format. It is limited by the fact that it was published first as separate issues in a series; possibly more than any other conversion of a comic series to a "
Joanna
Oh, the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire done entirely in cartoons! There is a lot of action packed into this volume, featuring major developments in both Eastern and Western history.

Gonick really has a gift for drawing the history of religions in a factual and dispassionate way, which is no small feat during these years of religiously based turmoil. His touch for including fascinating details (like the word decimate actually coming from the Roman slaughter of every tenth person in Greece)
Bharat Ghinaiya
Feb 04, 2017 Bharat Ghinaiya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this cartoon series, while randomly browsing in library. I read the few pages of this book and brought it home for further reading in leisure time. After reading in a little further at home, I realized that this book is super informative and there are total 3 volumes in this series. I immediately reserved other two parts in library for future reading.

Larry Gonick came up with this book series in 1994, that both children and adults can enjoy and gain knowledge with such ease. I can imagin
Andy
Sep 27, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini adalah jilid kedua dari serial 'Cartoon History of the Universe' atau dalam bahasa Indonesianya 'Kartun Riwayat Peradaban' yang ditulis dan digambar oleh Larry Gonick. Author yang terkenal karena serial-serial 'The Cartoon Guide'-nya.
Buku ini berisi kejadian-kejadian sejarah yang direpresentasikan dengan gambar. Dimana dalam jilid kedua ini memfokuskan pada era sebelum masehi sampai mulainya zaman kegelapan di Eropa.
Seri 'Kartun Riwayat Peradaban' ini sangat bagus untuk mengenalkan kita
Lisa Feld
Sep 18, 2014 Lisa Feld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boston
I really enjoyed this whirlwind tour of world history, particularly the "World" part: serious, in-depth attention paid to India's and China's political history and religious traditions. The opening chapter on India was particularly good: a clear grounding in the ancient civilizations, the rise of the caste system, and the development of Hindu and Buddhist traditions. The sections on Rome and the rise of Christianity were solid as well. But I was frustrated by the chapters on China--I felt lost i ...more
Isaac
Jan 31, 2008 Isaac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You could definitely find less engaging ways to learn about ancient India (whose story and culture is related mainly though mythic and religious texts), ancient China (whose story benefits from having lots and lots of official historians) and Rome up to the time of Christ (whose story is related through an even mixture of both). Gonick does a good job of portraying Christ as an even balance between angry political dissident, radical lifestyle advocate and cryptic spiritual guide. I'm sure that's ...more
Meinarno
Aug 24, 2007 Meinarno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sejarah, antropologi
Wow, masih tetap menghebohkan seperti jilid I-nya. Ide dari Gonnick yang luar biasa merangkum kegiatan manusia sesuai garis sejarah perkebangannya. Untuk tema Cina, sungguh satu ketelitian da ketajaman ilmiah sehingga menjadikan serangkaian sejarah yang terbangun selama ribuan tahunh menjadi tak lebih dari bundel cerita dalam bentuk komik. Mudah dimenegrti dan membuat orang awam mampu dengan cepat mengetahui bagaimana Cina mampu bertahan dan bersiap untuk memprediksiskan bagaimana Cina dalam mas ...more
Jaco
Dec 26, 2007 Jaco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very, very good book. However, if one is an ardent Christian, the section on Jesus may possibly offend. But then again, if one is willing to poke fun at oneself's own beliefs, it's quite funny. Again, as I said of the previous volume, I got this back in Middle School. It's a very good read and much of it is very well researched. One thing I like about Larry Gonick is that he tends to cite from primary sources, rather than someone else's research. This means that reading this, the reader will get ...more
Gphatty
Sep 05, 2007 Gphatty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite entry in this series, in part because most of the material covered -- ancient Chinese history; early Indian "history" -- was completely new to me. The stories he includes are fascinating, particularly the rise of China. I also loved the perennial theme of Indian history as one where so many people were seeking explanations to the universe, our place in it, the cosmic questions. And how history believes these many explorations into the spiritual realm may have come about. This book is ...more
Aneesh
Dec 13, 2014 Aneesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
(This is in addition to what I said in my review of the first volume; everything I said there also applies to this one.)

I found reading the section on India somewhat more difficult than the others, because Gonick hasn't spared ancient Indian history his trademark humour or wit. I'm not used to seeing figures and ideas considered sacred in the Indian subcontinent treated without a certain amount of care or sacredness, and that was utterly novel.

I can understand why the devoutly religious would be
Indah Threez Lestari
#Program BUBU

Pertama kali dibeli dan dibaca pada tanggal 1 Oktober 2006.

Untunglah akhirnya KPG menerbitkan ulang buku ini. Sempat sedih banget waktu koleksi lengkap kartun Larry Gonnick ini termasuk yang raib dilego orang.

===========================================================================

I love this book, too!

Sejarah Peradaban Cina yang berpuluh-puluh abad bisa dirangkum dengan apik dan jenaka di sini, yang seperti halnya peradaban lainnya, penuh dengan perang dan darah.

Sayangnya, cerita
Jenn
Aug 16, 2011 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gonick's illustrated overviews of history are just exceptional. I have never laughed so much while learning so much. I go back and read these every so often both as a refresher on history and because they are so entertaining. Vol II deals with the rise and fall of several empires in China, as well as the rise and fall of the Roman empire. It ends just as the Roman empire collapses. The comparison of the two empires at opposite ends of the known world is very interesting. After reading about all ...more
Fizzgig76
The second volume of the Cartoon History of the Universe is much harder to follow than the first Cartoon History of the Universe. Gonick is having to cover too much ground, and it doesn't flow as easily as the earlier history. I looked forward to the China section since I knew nothing of Chinese history, but for those reasons, I had trouble following it. When the Cartoon History returned to the Romans it was better and easier to follow, but Gonick's attempt to compress all of the history into on ...more
Timothy
Another great book like it's predecessor in my opinion. The first 7 volumes were mild in my opinion in terms of potentially objectionable material. I have to admit that the next set does tend to be more graphic and (especially for the more religious reader) definitely more edgy. I am not bothered by the author's portrayal of the life and ministry of Jesus, but some might. Be warned. There is also an increase in sexual references and violence overall. Still, I find these books to be thoroughly en ...more
Jess
Jan 06, 2009 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
It appears I can't learn history even in charming cartoon form... I had a good time reading this (and Book 1, which I technically finished before 1/1 so I'm not adding it), but I had frankly no idea what was going on most of the time. Book 1's depictions of the beginning of life, the dinosaurs, and the rise of mammals were much easier to follow... once human affairs come in in a big way, it becomes difficult to distill things into simple comic form. Not to mention the difficulty of reconciling h ...more
Judith
Nov 06, 2011 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Cartoon History of the Universe, II: Vol.8-13, From the Springtime of China to the Fall of Rome by Larry Gonick actually begins in India, where we left Alexander the Great in retreat at the end of volume I. From the archaeology of the Dravidian cities and records of the Aryan invaders to the Hindu classics and the life of the Buddha, we move to the Far East. The rise of the Chinese empire is followed by western history from Babylon to Rome. Gonick gives the battle after battle routines lots ...more
Nings
Jan 15, 2008 Nings rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students
Recommended to Nings by: -
Buku Larry yang jilid ke-2 ini lebih banyak bercerita tentang perang!! Gila perang dimana-mana sampai gw bosen bacanya. Menurut gw, jilid ke-2 ini tidak sebagus jilid pertama, entah karena emang topiknya sudah tidak menarik lagi ato karena mata gw yang udah picek ngeliatin gambar dan ngikutin alurnya. Gw mpe mikir-mikir lagi buat beli jilid ke-3nya. Fuuh..tapi ini menurut gw loh. Buat yang pengen tau sejarah, buku ini cocok dijadikan bacaan.
Alex
Aug 30, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This really is a spectacular series. In all honesty, I got a bit bogged down in the China sections of this volume. It's a very comprehensive book, but it certainly helps to have some basic knowledge of events to start with - I got a lot more out of the parts on Ancient Greece, Rome and the rise of Christianity. Nevertheless, highly recommended to anyone who wants to know about everything that ever happened on our little planet. On to volume 3!
Anita Williamson
I really could care less to go into such depth into chinese history but the chinese probably feel the same way about western history. The author had a tremendous disdain for religion, particularly Christianity. He should have treated the religious figures with more respect, considering it is a cartoon history some silliness is allowed but I felt like he crossed the line with his depiction of Christ.
nanina ninana
Dec 10, 2009 nanina ninana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baru baca sampai no.2.. Love it! Awalnya saya nggak suka sejarah. Too many places, names, and dates of years to remember. Tapi kan saya tetap ingin tahu segala hal yang pernah terjadi di dunia ini. Hal-hal hebat, kejadian-kejadian yang menentukan masa depan (*di masa kini), dan yang paling menarik, somehow history is like a fairy tale in a reality world. SO, i read it and i found that i love to read history in a comical scenes... :p

Recommended to give it to your nieces/nephews! :)
Preethi
This Volume 8-13 got me all riled up!! Its not the supposed-to-be-funny digs at Hinduism, ancient India, Buddhism, Ashoka and Buddha so far, because an trying to be all objective and rational about this. Its the factual inaccuracies that's getting to me!! What terrible editing!! Look at the last panel towards right - prime Minister in South India??? Really? For a book published in 1990, this is terrible!!!
Pandu K. Utomo
Nov 02, 2007 Pandu K. Utomo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: histories
Seperti halnya jilid I-nya, buku ini sangat menarik untuk dibaca. Kemunculan agama-agama dan kisah panjang dari bangsa-bangsa besar yang punya andil besar dalam sejarah dan memiliki implikasi besar dalam peradaban dunia...
Mengagumkan jika membayangkan betapa banyaknya literatur yang harus dipelajari dengan serius untuk menyusun buku ini. Larry Gonik pastilah orang yang gila membaca dan gila menggambar!
Chase Parsley
Apr 27, 2014 Chase Parsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent installment by Gonick. I thoroughly enjoyed Gonick's humor, visuals, and even-handed approach to history. My only small critique is that all of the Chinese is transliterated in Wade-Giles and not the modern Pinyin. A wonderful book for someone who wants an easy to understand, chronological, overview of history.
Melinda
Jul 10, 2009 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fascinating to read, and full of groaners and some sacrilegious humor. At least he pokes fun at everybody and doesn't leave anyone unscathed. You wouldn't want to use this as your only source for history, but it might make you aware of some things for further research. It's very complete for a cartoon synopsis of history. I'd say it's meaty; there's a lot in it.
cindy
Sayangnya, saya tidak menikmati komik ini sebanyak jilid pertamanya. Ada beberapa alasan, tetapi salah satu yang paling sering muncul adalah karena untuk beberapa bagian, komik ini terasa kurang mendalam.
Tapi bagaimanapun, ini komik yang asik untuk belajar dan mengingat-ngingat kembali sejarah dunia secara komprehensif.
Jeremy
Jun 19, 2012 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, humor
Unfortunately, not much stuck from this history. Gonick likes to find ironies and contradictions in religion, and that's obviously not hard to do. His mockery of Christianity, however, displays a pretty cursory knowledge, and so his negative points are sophomoric and misguided. I'm pretty sure I had read this before.
  • Action Philosophers! Giant-Sized Thing, Vol. 1 (Action Philosophers!)
  • Archeology of Violence
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • Duo Hippo Dinamis : Tersesat di Byzantium
  • The Snow Lion and the Dragon: China, Tibet, and the Dalai Lama
  • Age of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships
  • Antiquity
  • Streets of Hope: The Fall and Rise of an Urban Neighborhood
  • Our Religions: The Seven World Religions Introduced by Preeminent Scholars from Each Tradition
  • The World's Wisdom: Sacred Texts of the World's Religions
  • Church and State II (Cerebus, #4)
  • Buddha, Vol. 8: Jetavana
  • The Seventy Great Mysteries of the Ancient World: Unlocking the Secrets of Past Civilizations
  • The Age of Selfishness: Ayn Rand, Morality, and the Financial Crisis
  • Comic Art Propaganda: A Graphic History
  • Coming to Our Senses: Body and Spirit in the Hidden History of the West
  • To the Heart of the Storm
  • The Acharnians
Larry Gonick (born 1946) is a cartoonist best known for The Cartoon History of the Universe, a history of the world in comic book form, which he has been publishing in installments since 1977. He has also written The Cartoon History of the United States, and he has adapted the format for a series of co-written guidebooks on other subjects, beginning with The Cartoon Guide to Genetics in 1983. The ...more
More about Larry Gonick...

Cartoon History of the Universe (3 books)
  • Cartoon History of the Universe I, Vol. 1-7: From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great
  • The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance

“Look son, the Human Pig.

(shocked)Mother, y-you're inhuman!

(deadpan)Another animal could do this?”
2 likes