Start by marking “At the House of the Magician (At the House of the Magician, #1)” as Want to Read:
At the House of the Magician (At the House of the Magician, #1)

At the House of the Magician (At the House of the Magician #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  534 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A poor runaway during the Elizabethan period, Lucy does not have many options. Her luck turns around when she is taken on as a maid in the household of Dr. Dee, a real-life figure who was court magician to Queen Elizabeth I.

The household is strange and sinister, and Lucy has a nose for intrigue. So when she stumbled across a plot to assassinate the queen, Lucy must find me
Published August 6th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about At the House of the Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the House of the Magician

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakA Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayNumber the Stars by Lois LowryThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Teen Historical Fiction
139th out of 900 books — 2,283 voters
Maid of Secrets by Jennifer  McGowanThe Fool's Girl by Celia ReesTarnish by Katherine LongshoreGilt by Katherine LongshoreWarped by Maurissa Guibord
Young Adult Renaissance
26th out of 77 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne Osterlund
Lucy sets out for London with a plan. Sort of. OK, she actually sets out with a basket, an extra set of clothes, and a vague idea that London can’t be worse than living with her drunken, abusive father.

Then she winds up in the mud attempting to rescue a couple unruly children and their monkey.

An incident which results in the ruination of her clothing. The filching of her basket. And the obtainment of a child-care position.

For the magician to the Queen.

Not a bad result. At least that is what Luc
Book Geek
This novel is about Lucy, who runs away from home and her drunk, abusive father. In the process, she rescues two children from drowning, takes them home and manages to secure a position as a nanny in their house. Turns out, they are the children of Dr. John Dee, who is Queen Elizabeth I's magician. That's the short version anyway.

Lucy is a likeable cahracter, even though there are times when I wanted to shake her, or point out some of the sillier things she did. Most of it stems from a certain a
Charlotte Jones
Lucy escapes her poor village and drunk abusive father in search of work and money to provide her mother with a better way of life. This story follows her in seeking employment and then the adventures and events that surround her when her luck turns, and she finds herself employed by the somewhat mysterious Dr Dee.

At the House of the Magician is an historical fiction with some supernatural aspects revolving around Lucy, the protagonist of the novel. I think that most of the historical aspects se
 ♥ Antonella♥
The novels starts with our main protagonist Lucy running away from her native village and her abusive,alcoholic father. Her destination is London, where she hopes to get some work.
But she doesn't get very far. On her way, she saves two young girls Beth and Meryl from the river which earns her a job in the house of the girls parents.
And that's only the beginning of Lucy's adventure because the employer turns out to be Dr John Dee, the Queen's personal magician.

At the House of the Magician is set
Whispering Words...
This first book in ‘The House of the Magician’ trilogy was a quick but very enjoyable read. A mix of historical and supernatural elements, the story is told through the eyes of servant girl Lucy who gives the reader a taste of Elizabethan life, from the courtly fashions and customs to simple mundane chores of the serving class.

The book begins when Lucy is forced to flee her home, needing to escape the clutches of her violent, alcoholic father. Now homeless and without a job, she decides to make
Marga Vr
Feb 04, 2008 Marga Vr rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every young girl !
It's a FOUR STAR book, I'm so happy about having discovered Mary Hooper!
This book is a delight to read and I can hardly wait to get hold of the follow up
BY ROYAL COMMAND. Further adventures of plucky Lucy, the servant girl of Dr Lee, Queen Elizabeth's magician.
Right kind of books for 10 + year old girls

To come is THE REMARKABLE LIFE AND TIMES OF ELIZA ROSE, Court of Charles II

Mary Hooper bases her stories on historical facts.
Visit www.maryhooper.co.uk
Sabine
England im 16. Jahrhundert: Die junge Lucy wächst unter ärmlichen Bedingungen zu Hause auf mit einem Vater, der auch vor Gewalt nicht Halt macht. Sie flieht daher und findet Anstellung als Kindermädchen bei Dr. Dee, einem Zauberer und zugleich magischen Berater der Königin Elisabeth. Neugierig geworden schaut sie sich im Haus um und entdeckt faszinierende Gegenstände und belauscht magische Gespräche. Doch schon bald gerät sie selber in große Gefahr …
In gewohnt einfachem und gut verständlichem S
Glimmerfee
Lucy flüchtet vor ihrem gewalttätigen Vater. Sie nimmt im Haus des Magiers der Königin John Dee eine Stellung als Kindermagd an. Lucy ist voller Liebe und Verehrung für ihre Königin und ahnt nicht, dass sie Elizabeth bald einen Dienst erweisen darf.
Das historische Jugendbuch ist der Auftakt zu einer Trilogie um Lucy, die zur Zeit Elizabeth I. eine Anstellung im Haushalt eines Magiers findet. Ihr Vater ist Alkoholiker und wird gewalttätig, wann immer er betrunken ist. Ein Vorfall auf dem Markt zw
Salima Korri
Again this story has been passionately written with the vivid historical detail. The plot is very strong however the beginning is very slow and its not until the end that things actually begin to happen. But the writing is very simple and easy to understand and I liked how a glossary was included at the back for terms that was used then and not now.

Lucy the main protagonist, which the novel revolves around, is seeking employment which she soon finds at the mysterious magicians house were secrets
Charlotte
The book opens with Lucy running away from home to escape her drunk and abusive father. Her mother urges her to find work in London, but on the way there she comes across two girls- one stuck in the mud and in danger of drowning. Lucy immediately rushes to help the young girl-getting her own clothes muddy in the process. The young girl and her sister are the daughters of Dr. John Dee, the Queen's magician. Lucy ends up living and working at Dr Dee's house- caring for the children and helping Mis ...more
Melanie Au
When her mother sends her away so in hopes that she will be safe from her violent, alcoholic father, Lucy finds herself on the run without a home or a job. Fortunately, she is hired as a maid to serve in the household of Dr. Dee, the court magician to Queen Elizabeth I. Lucy is both intrigued and afraid of Dr. Dee's mysterious work, which is rumoured to involve raising and speaking to the dead. When Lucy overhears plans to speak with the dead daughter of one of the royal ministers and dreams tha ...more
Clarabel
Magie et mascarade sont au coeur de ce passionnant roman, dont la configuration historique, plus que soignée, est admirablement reproduite. L'auteur apporte des notes de précision en fin de roman, pour expliquer le contexte et l'importance des personnages rencontrés dans cette fiction (le docteur Dee, par exemple, a bel et bien existé). L'histoire est racontée de façon limpide, vue à travers la sensibilité de la narratrice et héroïne. Lucy est une jeune fille attachante, portée par une curiosité ...more
La république des livres
Je me suis très vite prise dans cette histoire et j'ai découvert une époque que je ne connaissais pas. L'auteur parle de la magie qui était à la mode à l'époque mais avec parcimonie et expose les limites de celle-ci. C'est le premier tome d'une saga qui me donne envie de lire les autres livres.
Laureen
I have nothing much to say about this book... I mean, it is a nice book; pretty interesting too. I liked the fact that Lucy, the narrator, always gets in trouble because of her curiosity. Like, even though she's had tons of problems because of that, she is still as curious as she used to be. I like how she admires the Queen, also.
The characters are quite nice—even too nice, after all. Dr Dee, Lucy's boss, is so odd. When I started reading this book, I hoped that there was gonna be a """relation
Anka Räubertochter
Eigentlich habe ich an der Geschichte nichts auszusetzen, hatte aber mit einem Einzelband gerechnet und war deshalb sehr überrascht, weil es sich im Endeffekt doch um eine Reihe handelt. Weil deswegen viele Fragen offen bleiben und rückblickend alles eher wie eine Einleitung wirkt, ziehe ich doch noch einen Stern ab, um den Folgebänden die Möglichkeit für eine Steigerung zu lassen.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Lucy gets a job as a maid at the house of Dr. Dee and begins to hear strange noises. What could it be? This was a quick but good read. The writing style was good and it ends hinting at a sequel. Definitely reading the next book. Recommend this.
Rachel
Wirklich ein schöner historischer Roman mit Fantasy.
Um was gehts?

Lucy kann nicht lesen und schreiben. Ihr Vater säuft und schlägt sie. Da macht sie sich auf nach England und gerät durch einen Zufall ins Haus des Zauberers Dr. Dee. Doch nichts scheint so wie zuerst gedacht. Lucy lernt lesen und schreiben, entdeckt Geheimnisse und plötzlich scheinen Geister mit ihr zu sprechen? Und was hat das ganze mit der Königin zu tun?

Lucy ist so ein liebevoller Charakter, sie ist ehrlich und treu. Ich mag si
Margaret Pemberton

An atmospheric read by a great writer. Mary Hooper is one of the best writers of historical fiction in the UK and her books are all well worth a read.
da-wildchildz
This started promisingly, with Lucy, an immediately likable protagonist in the Oliver Twist sense but the story failed to sustain my interest and it was a crawl to the finish.
Vivienne

This is a very accessible YA novel in which a young girl comes to work in the household of Dr. John Dee and becomes involved in various intrigues around the court of Elizabeth I.

I felt Hooper did a good job of capturing the period and even though it was very much written for YA, it was a quick fun read. I think it would be a good introduction to the period for teens with an engaging central character.

Hooper includes a short list of sources, a glossary and author's note on the historical period.
Jess Schira
It took me a little while to get into this story, mostly because it's been a long while since I've read any middle grade books. Once I did get into it, I fell in love with this book. It's well written, provides lots of little tidbits about the era, and a character who makes some questionable choices that add some intensity to the book.

Best of all, it had jester's in it. I'm a fan of any novel with jesters. As far as I'm concerned they're the unsung historical heroes.
Erin
This book was.....okay. I think it settles in the 14 and up category. It is a fast and easy read that is considered Historical Fiction. And maybe that's what turned me off toward the end was Queen Elizabeth's loving and forgiving attitude. I don't think, based on all I've seen and read about her, that she would have responded the way she did. But, that's a personal opinion and I did enjoy the other characters. I do want to read the second book just to see how it turns out.
Catherine
Oct 07, 2011 Catherine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elizabethian lovers
Shelves: 2011
Lucy, fleeing a destitue situation at home, secures a place as servant in the house of Dr. John Dee, magician to Queen Elizabeth. Determined to one day serve the Queen at court and elevate her position in life, Lucy is delighted to find that the Her Grace visits Dee on occasion. But little does she realise, where ever the Queen travels, mystery, rumours and danger follow in hot pursuit.
Francine
This sounds a little like "The Diamond of Drury Lane" by Julia Golding. It's definitely going at the top of my "to read"-list.
Jenny
Interesting plot, with plenty of potential for the sequels (By Royal Command and The Betrayal). Lucy is precocious and curious, but with a head on her shoulders that makes her lovable instead of annoying.
Sharon
Loved this book well written & once again became absorbed in the character. Looking forward to reading the follow on from this book & all her others.
Anne
Nicely done, part one of a series of three - endearing heroine, good supporting characters and a nice flavour of Elizabethan England..
Ellie
Oct 28, 2014 Ellie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children 9-13
Well researched and written.

Definitely aimed for younger children, but nonetheless a cosy and unassuming read.
Jekloneo
Hmm I like it for the semi-old English, though it would probably have been better if I'd read this 10 years ago.
Sangita
Ooh, ilove Thomas Fool! I loved this book. It's engaging and i would love to serve the queen as well, ask me anytime!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 15, 2015 09:54AM
  • Sigrun's Secret
  • No Shame, No Fear (No Shame, No Fear #1)
  • Contagion
  • A Sweet Disorder
  • Whisper My Name
  • Exile (Lady Grace Mysteries, #5)
  • The Fool's Girl
  • Montacute House
  • I am Rembrandt's Daughter
  • The Education of Bet
  • Hazel
  • Cupid Cakes
  • The Letter Writer
  • The Wild Queen: The Days and Nights of Mary Queen of Scots (Young Royals, #7)
  • The Stolen One
  • Cate of the Lost Colony
British children's and young adult author Mary Hooper was born in 1944, in Barnes, South West London. She left school at fifteen, and went to work as a window dresser, and then as a secretary. She eventually returned to school, as an adult student, earning a degree in English from Reading University. Hooper began her writing career with short stories, publishing in women's and teen magazines. Her ...more
More about Mary Hooper...

At the House of the Magician (3 books)
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician, #2)
  • The Betrayal (At the House of the Magician, #3)
At the Sign of the Sugared Plum (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #1) Newes from the Dead Fallen Grace The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)