Start by marking “Addiction Is a Choice” as Want to Read:
Addiction Is a Choice

Addiction Is a Choice

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Written for both lay and professional readers, this book offers new approaches to understanding addiction and the public policies necessary to successfully battle its detrimental effects on society. The author explains why current policies are ineffective and how they fail to cure the "problem." He argues that they actually encourage addiction by allowing people to feel bl ...more
Published December 21st 1999 by Open Court

To ask other readers questions about Addiction Is a Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Addiction Is a Choice

Deborah Carroll
Very good for the most part; discusses well points of science and deeper psychological reasons for substance misuse/abuse/use. Extensive bibliography...not "moralizing", not preachy...actually very empowering vs the "helpless" disease model. Most of the book is great outlay of information, great discussion, and a chapter or two has a tone of "ax to grind", but the whole text flows well and is easy to understand, I would guess, for just about anyone.
Beth
One of the reasons I enjoyed this book is it, "breaks the religious/disease model, (1930's Buchmanism/Oxford Groups)."

Excerpt from the book.

Chapter 8, "Busting the Disease Model Cult," begins, "Members of a cult behave like a colony of insects when disturbed. A challenge to the cult's beliefs stirs up a frenzy of activity, directed toward protecting the beliefs and attacking the outsider who has challenged them."

Dr. Schaler calls Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) a religious cult. He writes: "Alexande
Lauren Klinger
Dec 28, 2007 Lauren Klinger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: open-minded people who give a damn about mental health and addiction
I took this guy's class when I was at American University. It, and he, changed my life. Haha, that makes it sound like I'm an addict or something! No no, he just changed the way I thought about addiction, public policy, health care, mental health....
The book isn't a pageturner but I would say it is a must-read for anyone who is interested in addiction or mental health.
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Daruina De la cruz
Daruina De la cruz marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Daly Powers
Daly Powers marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
JP
JP marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Jamie Parsons
Jamie Parsons marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Rita
Rita is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Francesca Frullii
Francesca Frullii marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Crystal Wright
Crystal Wright marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Angi
Angi marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
T.
T. marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
adrenalexpire
adrenalexpire marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Candace Cabral
Candace Cabral marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
L.
L. added it
Jun 01, 2013
Zach
Zach added it
May 07, 2013
Szasz Under Fire: A Psychiatric Abolitionist Faces His Critics Drugs: Should We Legalize, Decriminalize or Deregulate? Howard Gardner Under Fire Peter Singer Under Fire: The Moral Iconoclast Faces His Critics Smoking: Who Has the Right?