Synthesis and Other Virtual Realities

Synthesis and Other Virtual Realities

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A major new talent. . .one of the strongest debuts in recent science-fiction history, " wrote Lucuis Shepard not long ago about emergent superstar Mary Rosenblum. And just as Shepard himself was the most powerful new short-story writer of the previous decade, so has Ms. Rosenblum come forth as a compelling voice in the 1990s in a sequence of nouvelles, set primarily within...more
Hardcover, 1, 280 pages
Published July 1st 1996 by Arkham House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Synthesis and Other Virtual Realities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Synthesis and Other Virtual Realities

Randolph Carter
Another fine mid-90s scifi author's first short story collection from Arkham House. Unbelievably I think I am the first person to rate this book (so I'm giving it the five stars it deserves from someone). The stories in this book mostly take place in a near future dystopian California. Water is the main problem but oil and other natural resources. There are basically two places: the Dry inland and the heavily urban coastal area (where the icebergs are melted, and the seawater desalinated).

The s...more
Lord Humungus
I've looked for Mary Rosenblum books since I'd read her stories in Year's Best anthologies. Some time ago I read her novel Horizons, which was surprisingly disappointing given how much I liked her short stories. This compilation had been on my list for a while but it's old and was a limited release so I figured the chances of finding it were slim, Amazon notwithstanding.

I'm glad I finally found it because the stories were excellent. Her characters are interesting and multi-layered, and they give...more
Emmett J.
This is very unlike Arkham House's usual fare. Near future dystopian sci-fi isn't usually my cup of tea, but this book stands out because of Rosenblum's mastery of plot and characterization. You know what motivates everyone in every story.

I hope to see more of her stuff in Fantasy & Science Fiction some day soon.
Janet
Oct 25, 2012 Janet added it
Shelves: fiction, sff
Short stories, with black and white illustrations
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Andrea Berrios
Andrea Berrios marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Loyd Stevens
Loyd Stevens marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
J. Allen Nelson
J. Allen Nelson marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Hestia
Hestia marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Tarja
Tarja marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2012
Anders
Anders added it
Sep 14, 2012
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
George
George marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2011
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2010