Start by marking “The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild, #4)

The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild #4)

Satisfying her hunger for epicurean adventure in the French provinces, small town caterer and minister's wife Faith Fairchild decides to throw the perfect dinner party. But during cleanup after the last guest has departed her gastronomical triumph, she encounters something neither expected nor welcome: a dead body lying in her vestibule. Unfortunately it doesn't help la be ...more
Published October 30th 2001 by Avon (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Vestibule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body in the Vestibule

Jonathan
Excellent. Faith can be quite the snob, however, especially when it comes to food. I will read the next one, recommend!
Lisa Thomas
Nov 08, 2007 Lisa Thomas rated it did not like it
I love a good mystery, but this wasn't one. I picked it up because I love France where it is set. The premise is good - a clergyman's wife embroiled in a mystery while on a working sabbatical in France. The story moves very slowly, however, and I found myself skipping pages to get through. I hardly ever totally quit reading a book.
Cynthia
Nov 20, 2016 Cynthia rated it it was ok
While this series is cute and entertaining and usually gets at least 3 stars from me I was beyond disgusted with little Miss Faith this go round because she is pregnant and yet she blithely risks her life and hence the life of her unborn baby chasing murderers. You know what, Faith? Your primary responsibility is to the baby in your womb. Let les gendarmes handle the murders this time around. Okay? Got it? Good.
Kathy Davie
Feb 22, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, homey
Fourth in the Faith Fairchild amateur sleuth mystery series where the Fairchilds are off to Lyon, France.

My Take
Absolutely lovely as the tale creates an enlarged French family for Faith, Tom, and Ben of dinner parties, teas, and le pique-nique. When not socializing, Faith and Ben are exploring les marches, creating mouth-watering meals. In between, we live France in its apartments, city streets, and people. I do envy Ben and his opportunity to learn French.

Being Faith, we encounter murder leadin
Theresa
Jan 01, 2016 Theresa rated it did not like it
Didn't like all the French words and food nonsense, and the culprit(s) were pretty darn obvious. At least Faith was better with Ben this time, acting like a mother should rather than like she couldn't stand being with him. Just an ok read though.

Note: I've read this entire series up to The Body in the Attic, and the best rating I've given any of them is 2 stars, which is sad and says a lot about the series. I kept reading because it really has potential but it never lives up to it, so save yours
Marti
Jan 19, 2015 Marti rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Nice little cozy mystery. To keep things fresh, our heroine, Faith Fairchild, her husband Tom and child Ben are in Lyon, France. Tom has an opportunity to do a fellowship which will help him complete his doctorate of divinity. Faith, gregarious one that she is, has been meeting people and making friends while learning more and more conversational French. She has invited several friends over for dinner, which was of course delicious. However, she awakens in the middle of the night bothered by the ...more
Nikki
Sep 15, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it
I certainly picked the right book to read as my first Katherine Hall Page novel. This book takes Faith Fairchild, her minister husband, and their small son to live in Lyon, France for a short sabbatical. I've loved books in which families go to live abroad ever since a non-fiction book called Cornflakes and Beaujolais captured my interest in junior high. I'd previously avoided Page's books because the uniformity of titles (they're all called "The Body in the ...) and inclusion of recipes (after ...more
annapi
Jan 31, 2016 annapi rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
My introduction to the Faith Fairchild series, this volume is set in France as Faith, her husband an child spend a month in Lyon where her minister husband is to give a few lectures in return for the opportunity to do research at the university there. The mystery starts when she finds the dead body of a street person in the vestibule of their apartment, then it disappears. I found the book a little slow-paced but the mystery is solid, and what kept me riveted were the mouth-watering, drool-induc ...more
Marian
Jun 25, 2008 Marian rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, wellesley
I honestly don't know why I read Katherine Hall Page's mysteries, other than the fact that she went to Wellesley and I am hard up for new mystery series. I don't think her books are very good, and Faith Fairchild is a rotten sleuth. I gave this book four stars only because Faith finally gets a clue in this book and figures out the crime (after three books of bumbling around like an idiot), though of course only after she has been kidnapped and the villain has already halfway confessed. She's no ...more
Fanficfan44
Nov 14, 2013 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
The Body in the Vestibule, I picked this one up out of order. I was somewhat hesitant due to the fact that the sleuth (and main character) was a minister’s wife. I was afraid that it would have heavy religious overtones, but it didn’t. The mystery takes place in France, I loved the setting and it was very well done! The mystery was full of twists and turns and lots of characters. Well written and the pace of the plot was steady. The only criticism was that it was slightly dated (some political r ...more
Chris Leuchtenburg
Feb 05, 2016 Chris Leuchtenburg rated it liked it
Karen Hufman
May 01, 2014 Karen Hufman rated it liked it
Faith and her husband get to spend a week in France while he works on some research. Faith finds the body of a homeless man that disappears before anyone else can see it. I normally really enjoy this series but this one wasn't my favorite. The mystery itself was fine but it annoyed me when the author kept throwing in French words and sometimes I didn't remember what they translated too.
Ellen Moore
Nov 26, 2016 Ellen Moore rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as others I have read in this series--partly because it is set in France and contained many French words with no translation or explanation. Also, the only familiar characters are Faith, Tom, and their son Ben--the many others are new. The mystery was interesting but late getting started.
Judy Goodnight
Nov 10, 2013 Judy Goodnight rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy, travel
This time around the Fairchild family travels to Lyons, France so that Tom can do some research and, of course, so Faith has a chance to find a dead body.

This isn't the best cozy mystery series ever, but I like the Fairchilds. I especially like the descriptions of living in France, the culture, cuisine, and customs.
Margarette
This is the fourth in a series featuring Faith Fairchild, caterer and minister's wife in rural Massachusetts. She's now in France, where her husband is spending a month doing research for his doctorate, but her penchant for finding bodies has followed her.

The setting is interesting but the overly detailed descriptions are detrimental to the story, making a good mystery unnecessarily slow.
Kiran
Jul 25, 2009 Kiran rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Another culinary cozy mystery following Faith Fairchild, small town caterer and wife to the local minister. In this installment Faith and her family travel to Lyon, France on vacation and discover murder once again at their doorstep. Easy, enjoyable read with lots of great culinary details on traditional French cuisine.
Erin
Aug 05, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another enjoyable mystery in the Faith Fairchild series. Equal to my interest in the who-done-it aspects is my liking for the wonderful descriptions of her latest vacation destination - this time: Lyons France. Part travelogue, part cheerleader for local foodstuffs, recipes and ingredients.
Lorretta
Apr 04, 2012 Lorretta rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite of the Faith Fairchild books that I have read. I totally enjoyed the descriptions of France and especially the food. I like a lot of detail in my books and think that 3 or 4 paragraphs describing a cheese is totally reasonable!
Kathie
Mar 17, 2014 Kathie rated it it was amazing
Very exciting story. It was good that her child was not with her when she was kidnapped. Pretty believable but once again there were a lot of characters to keep track of. And as I do not know French some of the meaning of the words escaped me.
Patty
Sep 16, 2010 Patty rated it liked it
A nice, cozy mystery set in Lyon, France. Lots of great food references, too.
Pat
Apr 25, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
Lyons, France
Les Reynolds
Mar 14, 2016 Les Reynolds rated it it was ok
Enjoyed the setting, as we are planning a trip that will include Lyon. But not much to recommend the book outside of that.
Janice
Jan 26, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it
reread
Anita
Nov 11, 2008 Anita rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I like these books. I like to read about cooking even though I don't cook! and I find her inner dialogue funny
Barb
Dec 09, 2013 Barb rated it liked it
Fun romp in France. Probably beys to read them in order. Now I have to go back and get caught up!
rivka
Sep 22, 2008 rivka rated it liked it
Clare
Nov 22, 2010 Clare rated it liked it
The best part of this book was the wonderful descriptions of France. The author did a good job of evoking the overall feeling of the area and various everyday cultural and social customs.
Ginger Heskett
Dec 28, 2016 Ginger Heskett marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Cheri
Nov 08, 2009 Cheri rated it it was amazing
This intrigued me with places I had been and an interesting historical nod towards the 1968 upheavals in France .
katen moore
Dec 22, 2009 katen moore rated it liked it
lightweight. could have done without the pregnancy nonsense
Play Book Tag: The Body in the Vestibule, Katherine Hall Page 3 Stars 8 17 Mar 28, 2016 08:29AM
  • Assault and Pepper (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #13)
  • The Dante Game (Homer Kelly, #8)
  • The Nantucket Diet Murders (Eugenia Potter, #3)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast, #2)
  • The Secret Ingredient Murders (Eugenia Potter, #6)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
Katherine Hall Page is the author of fifteen previous Faith Fairchild mysteries, the first of which received the Agatha Award for best first mystery and the most recent of which, The Body in the Snowdrift, was honored with the Agatha Award for best novel. Page also won an Agatha for her short story "The Would-Be Widower." She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and son. (from the publisher's w ...more
More about Katherine Hall Page...

Faith Fairchild (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • The Body in the Kelp (Faith Fairchild, #2)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • The Body in the Basement (Faith Fairchild, #6)
  • The Body in the Bog (Faith Fairchild, #7)
  • The Body in the Fjord (Faith Fairchild, #8)
  • The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)
  • The Body in the Moonlight (Faith Fairchild, #11)