Start by marking “Facts about the Moon: Poems” as Want to Read:
Facts about the Moon: Poems

Facts about the Moon: Poems

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  513 ratings  ·  60 reviews
"Laux writes gritty, tough, lyrical poems that depict the actual nature of life in the West today."--Philip Levine
In her powerful fourth collection, Dorianne Laux once again strikes fire from neighborhood moments: a quiet street at dusk, a pool hall, a bare tree. Focusing on the grace of working people, she captures the pain and beauty of women in all their variety, caugh
Published December 1st 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Facts about the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facts about the Moon

Danielle
Yes! Finally! A nerd like the rest of us can make beautiful some facts about the moon, learned from the Discovery Channel. And then, of course, as only Dorianne might do: make a metaphor of it that will break our hearts.
Ed
Dorianne Laux is a treasure. She writes the lightness and darkness of living in a way that takes you there. You can almost smell the smell of new mown grass and the sounds of crickets in the evening.
Zinta
No time lost, the opening poem immediately, stunningly, reminds me why Dorianne Laux still ranks among my top three favorite poets and keeps giving the other two a really hard time. “The Life of Trees” swirls me back into memory, all senses remembering. Once again, I am lying in my bed in the dark of a backcountry night, shack on a dirt road, tree branch scratching along the glass pane of my window.

… I want to sleep
and dream the life of trees, beings
from the muted world who care
nothing for Mone
Antonia
This is a great collection. I can't get over how well she uses image, how image opens and opens and you become swept up in it, and suddenly see that you've been privy to an entire story that now, in a way, has become part of your own life. There's much sensuality, some humor, tremendous tenderness and joy.

The title poem is stunning, but there are so many other good ones, too.

Cello

When a dead tree falls in a forest
it often falls into the arms
of a living tree. The dead,
thus embraced, rasp in wind,
Sally
This book is smart, fierce, lyrical, and gorgeous. Layered figurative imagery, music, a narrative impulse that engages human and animal worlds, family, faith (or lack of it) and is powerful in its restrained and strategic balance between image and utterance. Some of these poems just cut me. I have pages of notes about it, but really, I just want to say, you should read it. In "Hummingbird," Laux writes, "We buried the hummingbird/ in his mantle of light, buried/ him deep in the loam, one eye/sta ...more
Jane
Dorianne Laux brought me into Goodreads... This is her most recent book and each one grows only stronger and more expansive. Building from her beginning work which carried primarily the narratives of the personal, Laux now carries the narrative of moon, trees, the culture... without losing the erotic charge of language and life that have been hers from the start.
Donna
Awesome! I love Dorianne's poetry and this book is simply delightful. I had the privilege of hearing her read pieces of this when she was in Rochester, so I have the added pleasure of "hearing" her voice each time I reread bits and pieces of this.
Juliet
2 1/2 stars for me based on what I read.

Didn't finish. Just not my style.
Susan
I made it to page 20 wherein the poem "Democracy" Laux writes: "You can feel it now: why people become Republicans: "Get that dog /off the street. Remove that spit and graffiti. Arrest those people huddled /on the steps of the church." If it weren’t for them you could believe in god." All I felt was alienated and I couldn't believe how removed from the truth I found that bit of writing. I also find the common practice of party bashing (most notably Republican bashing in poetry) to be terribly ti ...more
David
Dorianne Laux's poems are gorgeous moving pictures of an attentive, everyday life. With expert judgment and a true ear for music, Laux brushes through the thorny, face-scratching landscape of death, sex, and the common life, alternating between poems that branch into the past for clarification and insight and those that vine into the vivid, shifting world of the present for clues of how to live and for whom. Laux's poems could be set anywhere, it seems to me, but quite a few take us to the haunt ...more
Superstition Review
This is one of those books that can be read over and over again to reach the same or different understandings of how it feels to be alive. This fantastic collection of poems is one that has the potential to never cease to resonate with its readers. Readers can feel its charged energy. Without a doubt, this collection will continue again and again to be cherished. The body of shared experience can become part of the reader. Throughout Laux’s work, the question of purpose juxtaposes with desire. H ...more
Cheryl
Lyrical, clear, honest, emotional, gently powerful, surprising -- Laux's poetic voice delivers sometimes shocking truth in perfect clarity with compassion and complete acceptance of herself and the rest of us. "If trees could speak they wouldn't." One of the saddest lines I've ever read is from her poem What's Broken: "Possible, unthinkable, / the cricket's tiny back as I lie / on the lawn in the dark, my heart." I love her poems about ordinary things.
Matt
As much as I enjoyed _Awake_, I don't think I was prepared for how satisfying this book would be.... Laux takes her strong line and skill with a striking image and applies it to a much wider from of experience and emotion than in her first book and the results are really really thrilling.

There's still some of the righteous anger and hurt, of course, but there's more as well-- lovely poems about Alaska that conjure up visions of S Palin back at her day job, poems about chemo and death, and a love
Robert Lashley
The problem with poetry books about nature is that too often the author tends to superimpose a fixed set of ideas to the setting; along with fixed answers that they want the setting to give them. In Facts about the Moon, Dorianne Laux doesn’t escape this tendency as much as make you believe her ideas as much as you believe your own. In the background of the oregon woods, Laux find new ways to fuse her complex themes of class, sex, gender, love, and humanity into great poetry. In her best work s ...more
If I typed all the poems and passages that resonated with me in this collection, I could find myself transcribing the entire book.

Here is one excerpt:

. . . I can hear
each bird's separate song, the chirt and scree,
the sip, sip, sip, the dwindle and the uplift yearning,
the soup's on, soup's on, let up, let it go
of each individual voice, and I know I am here,
in this widening light, as we all are, with them,
even the most damaged among us or lonely
or nearly dead, and that for each of us there is
som
Tyler
The cover makes me really happy.

Laux has the right mix of lyric and narrative to make me go "oh wow I feel this I'm human thanks cool."

Let's look at "The Crossing." Laux is at her best in these type of poems. I'm reading this poem, but I'm also seeing this poem. Cool metaphors that work, they really work "slow as a Greek frieze" (thank you Mrs. Garner, my high school Latin teacher). As a newly married person, I know this feeling, but this poem makes me see this feeling.

Some of the non-stanza poe
Larry Kaplun
Mar 29, 2008 Larry Kaplun rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in contemporary narrative poetry.
Dorianne Laux's fourth book of poems is her most mature and strongest book. Though she's moved on from powerful themes like childhood sexual abuse, working minimum wage jobs, early marriage, and single-parenthood, she's beautifully transitioned into broader themes such as the environment in poems such as "The Life of Trees", the unknown status of the moon in the title poem, a joyful marriage in poems such as "Face Poem", "Vacation Sex", "Music in the Morning", and everyday life in many other lov ...more
Amy
The title poem of this collection reminds me so much of Philip Levine's title poem from his collection, What Work Is. There is a similar tender yet hard-edged tone and language. This pervades Laux's entire volume, but the title poem is undeniably Levine-esque.
Rivka
Adventures in intertextuality! Find a book of poems you like (or any book really), grab a pencil and go to the preface or the acknowledgments or both. This is the best place to go to for Further Reading: here are the author's influences separated by commas. This is how I found Dorianne Laux and boy am I glad I did. I read this book primarily on the subway and found myself having audible reactions to the book's eponymous poem and "Music in the Morning." Gorgeous imagery and completely relateable ...more
Chelsea
I haven't read all that many poetry collections in my life, so I don't really have a wide range of comparison, but I really enjoyed this collection. I'd been reading a few Dorianne Laux poems from some books I had on creative writing, so I thought I'd give one of her books a try. There's really some BEAUTIFUL phrasing in here. Her concepts and language are truly stunning, and even if not every poem is your cup of tea, there's such a wide variety that I'm sure most people will find something to l ...more
Kirsten
Glad to read someone who influenced my friends so deeply.
Punk
Poetry. I like Laux's sensuality, the way she can capture a single image or tell a whole story in the same amount of space. She's got her moments of sly humor and clever line breaks, and she can bring the quiet angst, too. Her writing flows smoothly, no hundred dollar words or convoluted narratives, just a clear, easy voice.

Some of my favorites: Cello, Vacation Sex, Laundry and Cigarettes, Puzzle Dust, What's Terrible.
R.G. Evans
This book was exactly what I needed just now. "Accessible" poems which render the quotidian details of life limitless, poems where safety is a temporary harbor, but a place where beauty resides because it IS temporary. Poems such as "A Walk in the Park," "Cello," "What's Terrible," and "Superglue" reminded me of why I read poems and why I should try harder to write better ones myself.
Patti K
This volume of poetry is a 2006 selection by Laux. The poems overall are uneven,
but when she hits the mark she shines. Some of them are raw reminiscences and some
are lighter, like Laundry and Cigarettes, and Kissing Again. She co-edited a poetry
guidebook with Kim Addonizio several years back which is a wonderful book. I would
read her again.
Ariadne
This is a lovely collection. A lot of the poems center on the mundane and nature, which resonated with me. And while these poems are astute and lyrical, they are also accessible. I'd recommend this to both those just dipping their toes into reading poetry, and to long time readers who like grounded and earthy works.

Book #4 for 2013
Caroline
This is the only Laux book I've read, so I don't know if it's the best, but I really enjoyed it. The book itself is beautiful; the poems are eloquent and subtle. By that I mean you probably won't be jazzed by knockout individual lines, but the poems as a whole shift and travel in a wonderful way, especially the title poem.
Katie
gorgeous. read it in an airport, one of the best places on the planet to read poetry. laux writes about: trees, sex, kissing, the moon, alaska, plants, skeletons, public transportation, daughters, sisters, dirt, cigarettes. she is the poet that woke me back up to poetry, and for that i am boundlessly grateful.
Michelle
I find myself constantly returning to Dorianne's books, and this book is no exception. No one writes lyrical narrative like her. The lines are generous but taut, fired with electric language and emotion. This poet knows how to keep it moving, keep it human, and keep it real.
Nan
How Laux can compress a mother's love for a brutal son into a fact about the moon amazes me. She makes connections everywhere. Her world is common and extraordinary. Every sad fact of our existence is examined and transformed. Laux is wonderful. I must read more.
SmarterLilac
Wow! To be perfectly honest, I was expecting mediocrity. But I found this to be right up there in quality with her last book, "Smoke," and one of the more engaging books of poetry I've read this year. The title poem is particularly good. Kudos to Ms. Laux!
  • What Is This Thing Called Love: Poems
  • Donkey Gospel
  • After
  • The Great Enigma: New Collected Poems
  • And Her Soul Out Of Nothing
DORIANNE LAUX’s most recent collection is The Book of Men (W.W. Norton) which won the Paterson Prize for Poetry. Her fourth book of poems, Facts about the Moon (W.W. Norton), is the recipient of the Oregon Book Award, chosen by Ai. It was also short-listed for the 2006 Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize for the most outstanding book of poems published in the United States and chosen by the Kansas City S ...more
More about Dorianne Laux...
What We Carry Smoke The Book of Men Awake وحيدة في غرفة أمسح الغبار

“If trees could speak they wouldn't” 13 likes
“The slate black sky. The middle step
of the back porch. And long ago

my mother's necklace, the beads
rolling north and south. Broken

the rose stem, water into drops, glass
knob on the bedroom door. Last summer's

pot of parsley and mint, white roots
shooting like streamers through the cracks.

Years ago the cat's tail, the bird bath,
the car hood's rusted latch. Broken

little finger on my right hand at birth--
I was pulled out too fast. What hasn''t

been rent, divided, split? Broken the days into nights, the night sky

into stars, the stars into patterns
I make up as I trace them

with a broken-off blade
of grass. Possible, unthinkable,

the cricket's tiny back as I lie
on the lawn in the dark, my hart

a blue cup fallen from someone's hands. ”
8 likes