Start by marking “Traversa” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Inspired by the legendary explorers who first crossed the African heartland, Fran Sandham left the daily grind of London to undertake an extraordinary adventure. He traveled on foot across Africa from the Skeleton Coast on the southwest tip of the African continent through Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, and Tanzania, until he reached the Indian Ocean. Traversa is the fascinating ...more
274 pages
Published 2007 by Duckworth

To ask other readers questions about Traversa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traversa

Blood River by Tim ButcherThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniA Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Reading Places
23rd out of 180 books — 75 voters
A Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerIn a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
Favourite Travel Books
356th out of 1,249 books — 2,690 voters

More lists with this book...

Incredible story of trekking from Namibia's Atlantic Coast to the Indian Ocean (ending up at Zanzibar). Although the author's attacked by neither man nor beast (just insects aplenty), he has his share of troubles, starting with recalitrant wild donkeys, and finishing up with a week of malaria treatment (apologies if that proves a spoiler). Terrific writing skills and a great sense of humor make this book one of my top books for the year. Highly recommended.
I loved this book. It was captivating. I feel like I've travelled across Africa with him, obviously without the challenge of walking 5000km.

You'd think after reading a book about a man walking across four African countries, from Skeleton Coast to Bagamoyo on the coast of the Indian Ocean, I'd have some awesome and poetic quotes for you, but my favourite passages were:

"On the outskirts of Karonga I sit outside a little shop, eating a slurp as I watch the world go by. A cow stands patiently on the
An entertaining account of the author's 'traversa' across Africa on foot from Namibia to Tanzania. Sandham tells the story with self-deprecating humor and anecdotes from the great African explorers like Stanley and Livingston of how he backpacked across the continent entirely on his own.
Fran Sandham is a British writer who worked for years as an editor for the Rough Guide Travel Series. Tiring of the hustle and bustle of London, he decided to walk across Africa. Even as a child he had been fascinated by the stories of the African explorers, such as Stanley and Livingstone. The walk became a real test of endurance. He wouldn’t accept rides, and often spread his sleeping bag in an inconspicuous place at night rather than stay at a hostel or guest house. His pack was much too hea ...more
Former bookseller Fran Sandham has always been fascinated by Africa and the Victorian explorers who opened the continent to trade (with apologies to the Portuguese who came before). One New Years Eve he decides to do it himself: walk across Africa, from the west coast to the east. Scrimping and saving for the next year, Sandham fills his rucksack, gives up his flat in London, his job and sets out.

Why I Picked It Up:
I love reading stories about people doing crazy things, especially things that I'
If there is one burning desire in my life right now, it is adventure! This book choice seems serendipitous, having just watched the series premiere of 'Expedition Africe' on the History Channel last night. In Expedition Africa, the journey begins in Zanzibar, and in Traversa, the journey ends in Zanzibar. Both sets of travelers seem to be loosely re-creating the journeys of Livingstone and Stanley. I shall read this book with great pleasure (hopefully) while I dream of foreign lands and travel!

GUD Magazine
Apr 21, 2008 GUD Magazine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
It's hard to read many travel books without a sense of 'Why? Why are you putting yourself through all this?' and Traversa is no exception. Those who sit at home may not understand what drives some people to these lengths, but that doesn't stop us lapping it up and asking for more.

In this enthralling book, Sandham brings his solo walk from the aptly-named Skeleton Coast to the Indian Ocean to life. He comes across, variously, as courageous, determined, bloody-minded, and completely insane. By the
Pat Stearman
Reading group book. Took me a little while to get into it but thoroughly enjoyed once I did (and once I worked out it was a bloke!!) Some parts are hilariously laugh out loud funny, some are horrific but he drives the narrative along and you really want to know more. Half tempted to follow up by reading more about Livingstone and Stanley - hadn't realised a) how many other expeditions Stanley had done and b) what a nasty piece of work he was!
He doesn't really answer the question we all wanted
Marie Knock
An excellent book charting one man's coast to coast walk across Africa.

I love Africa, and therefore loved hearing about so many different cultures, people, animals and environments that the author experienced along the walk. His determination to complete the trip is as admirable as it is crazy at times, he encounters all kinds of dangers and dilemmas. Ultimately this book left me eager for more and inspired... if only I had the guts to try something like this.
Linda Wallis
Reading Group book.
Thoroughly enjoyed this.
Finally finished as was distracted by 2 other books.
Did wonder sometimes why he was doing it, as was so unpleasant for him on occasions.
Learnt things I didn't know and he made me laugh out loud too at times.
Highly recommended.
Sara Lay
Excellent book, enjoyable tales as well as an insight into a different way of life. Opened my eyes and inspired me.
loved it! shows the good, the bad, the lovely, and the ugly.
The author takes approximately eight months to walk across Africa from the Skeleton Coast of Namibia to Bagamoyo in Tanzania on the Indian Ocean. This book is the recounting of that trip with the adventures (and misadventures) that he encounters along the way. Included in the account at appropriate points are the experiences of the early Explorers.
Overall, I enjoyed it. At times, like the detour with the mule/donkey delay, it seemed just that: a delay. But there is a certain amount of admirati
Rafał Sobol
I found myself absolutely glued to the book from the very beginning up until the end. Mr. Sandham proved himself a skilled writer, splendidly going between describing his own journey and retelling stories of the Victorian ages' explorers. His writing style is very nice - not terribly stiff, with a few well-placed explicit words here and there, but then again absolutely not annoyingly loose.
I recommend this book to anyone, even those who don't generally fancy travel books. It's a great read, I as
I really liked the adventuresome chutzpah it took to undertake the trip... and the historical expedition details interwoven into the chronology of the trip gave the book depth and made for a more interesting read, but I found the writing style rather bland for this type of travel journal
Rachel Galbraith
This book was enjoyable but hard to read at times cause this guy jumped into his travels with less thought than I'd put into finding a matatu to ride in Kenya... it is entertaining at the very least however.
Yet another "Walk Across Africa" story by a Westerner. The part where he gets bogged down in Namibia trying to train a donkey to carry his pack is kind of funny.
Iulia Bercescu
Iulia Bercescu marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Ann added it
Oct 04, 2015
Tanya marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Erik marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Conny marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Lachlan marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Laura Green
Laura Green marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
John Geary
John Geary marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
  • Russia: A Journey to the Heart of a Land and its People
  • The Lost World of the Kalahari
  • Facing the Congo: A Modern-Day Journey into the Heart of Darkness
  • Kobieta na Krańcu Świata
  • Tropical Gangsters: One Man's Experience with Development and Decadence in Deepest Africa
  • Looking for Lovedu: A Woman's Journey Through Africa
  • Four Corners: A Journey into the Heart of Papua New Guinea
  • Just a Little Run Around the World: 5 Years, 3 Packs of Wolves and 53 Pairs of Shoes
  • Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure
  • Throwim Way Leg: Tree-Kangaroos, Possums, and Penis Gourds
  • Travels Into the Interior of Africa
  • African Laughter: Four Visits to Zimbabwe
  • Midnight Picnic
  • Roads to Quoz: An American Mosey
  • True North: Travels in Arctic Europe
Fran Sandham was an editor at Rough Guides for several years, and worked in bookselling and in the voluntary sector before that. He has traveled in over fifty countries. He now lives in London and Wirral, and divides his time between freelance writing and public speaking. He has written for many newspapers, magazines and travel publications, including the Sunday Times, the Daily Telegraph, the Obs ...more
More about Fran Sandham...