Start by marking “Baby Love: Everything You Need To Know About Your New Baby” as Want to Read:
Baby Love: Everything You Need To Know About Your New Baby

Baby Love: Everything You Need To Know About Your New Baby

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Expert advice from a registered nurse-midwife helps new parents care for their babies from birth through the first year of life. Filled with wisdom, humor, and expert advice, this comprehensive guide tells new parents exactly what they need to know.
Published (first published October 7th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Love

Yazzie
A major flaw with this book is that it is not up to date with safety information. For example, it recommends a quilt on an infant's bed, which goes against Sids and Kids advice (http://www.sidsandkids.org/safe-sleep...). This means that I would not use the book as my sole resource.

The other thing that that I disliked was the inherent sexism. The author states at the beginning that she will not refer to the parent, but only to the mother, because in her experience dads don't do as much as mums, a
Robin Barker
I am the author of this book. I am only giving it one star because this is the US edition published in 2002 and is seriously out of date.
Baby Love was first published in Australia in 1994 and since then I have done 6 editions and many revisions. The last edition was in 2013.
I was persuaded to do a US edition in 2001 a decision I now regret as Baby Love has not sold well in the US. Consequently, this edition keeps being dumped on the Australian market for a cheaper price. I know that many Aust
Julie
This book saved our sanity in the first 4 months
we have the fully revised updated version and it is fantastic
Laura Chamberlain
Brilliant. No nonesense straight forward advice. Reminding me of everything I've forgotton.
Leonie
I found its book helpful and reassuring to read alongside my baby's development. It gave me strength and courage through the difficult and confusing times, like growth spurts and the afternoon/evening witching hour that some - mine - young babies go through and it reinforced some of my choices and decisions.

The tone was not militant or dogmatic like some (cough Gina Ford) books I'd skimmed and the advice always deferred to what feels right to you and your baby. It was comforting more than instru
Bella
More helpful and reassuring than my child health nurse.
Retna
Sep 12, 2007 Retna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everone who just had a baby
Shelves: reference
This book is my must-have manual. Pretty comprehensive, although you won't find many pictures in it. Robin Barker is pretty detail oriented and knowing that she is a mid-wive reassures me. You will find everything you need to do step by step, from newborn to 3 months, 3 to 6 months, 6 to 9 up to 12 months. Everything from growth development, breastfeeding, milestones, safety, baby appliances to babyfood recipes.
Sonia
There is a reason this book has been around so long and revised so many times. The advice is practical and helpful. Its an easy to read reference book that I think covers just about everything you need to know about your baby.
Jodie Vass
Aug 07, 2007 Jodie Vass rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all new Mums
If you've got to read parenting books, then this one is awesome. It is written so that you come away armed with all the info you need to make your own decisions - you're not being told to follow anyone else's ideas of parenting. It is really comprehensive and up-to-date. I have referred to it so many times and continue to do so.
Danielle
I've found another great parenting manual, if there is such a thing. I found this book very informative and it has a large, comprehensive chapter on breastfeeding. I'm just hopeful that I can use the information next time.
Sally Tsang
Highly highly recommended - most useful first-time parenting book I have found. Sensible and down-to-earth advice, not pushy or extreme in its philosophies like many other resources. Comprehensive and Australian as well.
Brilliant reference guide to have for babys first year. Everything from teething, temperature to starting solids. Answers all those questions that you shouldn't really just google.
Irene
Jun 21, 2007 Irene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new mummies
everything you need to know, without being condescending or trying to be too funny. No nonsense advice that will leave you feeling relieved you had it on hand just for reassurance.
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
A wonderful, reassuring, kind and sensible book. It became my refuge in times of panic, or following encounters with extremists of one kind or another. Must read.
Jody
Pragmatic and honest bout the challenges.
Helps you mme decisions, work out whr going on and avoid he Internet opinion overload.
Bec Puddy
Love love love this book. It has everything you need to know about a newborn and is flexible with parenting styles.
✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿
Jul 26, 2011 ✿ ♥ Heather ♥ ✿ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ✿ ♥ Heather ♥ ✿ by: Fiona Poot
Very good book that I read ever so slowly as things came up
Love this book. Not preachy, just practical.
Seija Nyholm
Sep 10, 2007 Seija Nyholm rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new parents
Down-to-earth advice and so well-organised!
Erika
Aug 18, 2008 Erika is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
not sure yet... just getting started
Huggett
Wonderful resource for new parents.
Bianca
Great reference tool.
Kellie
Sep 04, 2010 Kellie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
excellent for first time mums
Can Hatipoglu
Can Hatipoglu marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Kristygardiner
Kristygardiner is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2015
  • Up the Duff: The Real Guide to Pregnancy
  • Raising Girls
  • Birth Skills: Proven pain-management techniques for your labour and birth
  • Crimes Against Humanity: The Struggle For Global Justice
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • If You're Talking to Me, Your Career Must Be in Trouble: Movies, Mayhem, and Malice
  • Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care: What You Need To Know For The First Year From The Uk's Most Trusted Nanny
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • Deliver Us from Evil: Peacekeepers, Warlords and a World of Endless Conflict
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth (Revised)
  • Hope For the Separated: Wounded Marriages Can Be Healed
  • Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential
  • "A" Is for Atticus: Baby Names from Great Books
  • John Rosemond's New Parent Power!
  • New York
  • The Stars Down to Earth and Other Essays on the Irrational in Culture (Routledge Classics)
  • Pythagoras's Trousers: God, Physics, and the Gender War
  • The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home: 100 New Recipes for Baking Brilliance
Robin Barker, retired registered nurse, midwife and child and family health nurse, is the author of Australia’s baby care classics, Baby Love and The Mighty Toddler. Close to Home is her first book of fiction.

Robin lives surrounded by her family in Sydney, near a famous beach where she swims out beyond the break several times a week.
More about Robin Barker...
The Mighty Toddler: The Essential Guide to the Toddler Years Close To Home Baby & Toddler Meals CLOSE TO HOME Food of Australian Birds 1. Non-Passerines