Start by marking “Ultimate Prizes” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Prizes

Ultimate Prizes (Starbridge #3)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  843 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Book three of Susan Howatch's extraordinary sequence of novels, Ultimate Prizes is a brilliantly readable story--a riveting exploration of the interplay of past and present in the human psyche and of theor sin and salvation in the human soul.
Published (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Prizes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Prizes

KOMET
"Ultimate Prizes" offers the reader a rich and fascinating view into the life of a Church of England archdeacon (Neville Aysgarth), who, at the story's outset, appears to have it all. A position of high authority with the prospect of future advancement, a loving, supportive wife and 5 children. But, during the course of a dinner party given by his Bishop, Dr. Ottershaw, in the late spring of 1942, Aysgarth makes the acquaintance of a vivacious young woman (Diana Dorothea Tallent, otherwise known ...more
Jeanette
The third book in the Starbridge, Ultimate Prizes is for me, the most moving and profound book in the entire series. It's the one that I think sort of lays out what Susan Howatch was trying to accomplish.

Narrated by Neville Aysgarth, an ambitious archdeacon it is the story of his lifetime quest for the "ultimate prizes." He is by far the most fascinating character of the series for me. Just when I think I have him all nicely figured out he throws me a huge curve ball. I love the way Howatch desc
Elena
Pretty good but not up to the first two Starbridge books. I wanted to punch Dido in the head. Also now I have to read about religious Liberalism and the problem of evil...reading Howatch always gives me a lot of homework to do!
Lissa Notreallywolf
One review of Howatch's books is probably enough, or at least a comment on the Starbridge series that I have read. They won't everyone's cup of tea because they are set in England and everybody is white and pretty much upper class, the plots revolve around Anglican clergy.
If Howatch doesn't have a doctorate in divinity someone should give her an honorary one.
I read these years ago, and I recognized one in ten names of the theologians her character discuss I read them while I was taking a distan
Beccalarge
I did not expect to like, let alone love this book. It sat on my shelf for more than a year, and although I picked it up several times, I could never get past the back cover. It did not feel like a book I wanted to read (an archdeacon struggling with adultery...no thanks), but I was wrong.

The book takes place in England during the 1940's, and from the very start I was drawn in by the history of the Church of England. I have aways been fascinated by the evolution of the Evangelical church over C
^
Sep 04, 2014 ^ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anglican christians
This time it’s 1945, and it’s the turn of Archdeacon Aysgarth to enter the limelight and be plunged into the irrationality of valuing a perfect life (family and career) whilst utterly endangering what he professes to so cherish, by his pursuit of and tormented satisfaction in an adulterous relationship.

I had picked up the first two books of this series out of curiosity. This, third, volume I deliberately hunted out on the shelves of my local bookshop; basing the timing of my search on the public
Margareth8537
Didn't get on as well with this one as the previous two, mainly because I wished Dido would take a running jump. Still finished it though - and read it again
Suzanne
This is the third book in the Starbridge series. Neville Aysgarth has a seemingly successful life as a young priest and father of five children. Yet with all of Howatch's books, there is much that lurks under the surface of this glittering veneer of perfection. Neville is a particularly fascinating character because he is so universally disliked by the other characters in the series. Even as he narrates his descent into the abyss, the reader wonders how much he can be trusted. It's a truly compe ...more
Elizabeth
It took me a while to finish this one (we went on vacation and I had the large print from the library and didn't want to haul it to GA) and I think they are much better read quickly.
Same interesting elements as the other books-sex, lies, past issues, church and world history, and spirituality. I think this one had a lot more in depth theology plotting Modernism against I guess what we would call today-Fundamentalism, but she called Crisis theology.
I really liked how this book brought out info
CLM
Neville Aysgarth is a young and ambitious Archdeacon of Starbridge during the Second World War. After being widowed and remarried, he too (like everyone else in this series) undergoes something of a breakdown but ultimately is rescued by Jonathan Darrow, a recurring character.

It is hard to explain why this series is so compelling but I don't think I am alone in finding it addictive. For those who are English and Anglican, I would guess there is probably the added pleasure of guessing who some of
Misha Crews
As with the other Starbridge novels that I've read, Ultimate Prizes is a fascinating look at a powerful man driven to the brink of self-destruction by guilty secrets. I found this one to be most interesting because it immediately precedes Scandalous Risks, a book which I fell in love with several years ago. Now that I've read the first three novels in the Starbridge series, I look forward to re-reading Scandalous Risks with a fuller understanding of the dark, twisted history behind it. This was ...more
Adam Shields
Book Review: Ultimate Prizes by Susan Howatch (Church of England #3) - This whole series is well worth reading. But is not traditional Christian Fiction. It is more about the way sin seperates us from God and how often we stray from what God wants for us. But how God can work through us anyway. Ultimate Prizes is about an Arch Deacon that gets the Ultimate Prize he is looking for, but finds it wasn't want he really wanted.

The full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/ultimate-prizes/
Sue
Third in the Starbridge series about Church of England ministers in the middle of the 20th century.

This book is written from the perspective of Neville, an Archdeacon, whose habit of 'ringing down the curtain' on all unpleasantness has led to enormous amounts of repression, and a near nervous breakdown.

Believable, if dramatic, with interesting digressions into the theological debates of the times, and attitudes to the wars. Definitely recommended.
Nancy
Re-read the book in January 2013. I was bored in the first section because I find the character of Dido Tallent incredibly boring. But the rest of the book, as Norman Neville Stephen Aysgarth goes through his history and the relationships with mom/dad/ and Uncle Willoughby is quite a good rehash of the Fordites and Darrow helping him through the crisis.

Was going to go down to 3 stars due to beginning, but now going to stick with 4.
Robbie Forkish
Book 3 in the "Church of England" series, set during WW II. Beautifully written, interesting historical, spiritual, psychological drama... not for everybody.
Virginia
Each book follows the same general group of clergymen from the Church of England. This one is filled with psychology as well as spiritual aspects. Getting to know these characters one at a time, and then seeing how they interact from book to book is great. I had read this series when it was being written, so am enjoying the re-reading so many years later.
Diane
The third book is Susan Howatch's series of psychological novels about priests in the Church of England, this book focuses on a modernist priest going through a marital crisis at the end of World War II. Although this book is as well-written as the others in the series, I found the main character to be less likable, so the book was slightly less successful overall.
Xiauyu
Very compelling, very interesting, and very real. It wasn't buttered up, and since it was done in first person, it felt easier to sympathise with the main character. There was a lot of religion talk, but it also used historical facts. It also sounds how easy it is for a single person to be able to make such a large impact on people's lives
Ray Estabrook
Although the character of Neville Aysgarth is not attractive - he really is quite a bastard, his quest to find himself in his tangled family past is gripping and makes him sympathetic. "Once you have mastered your past , then you are set free to respond to the will of God."
Christy
Dec 10, 2008 Christy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic yet again. I highly recommend this series-although the first book might take a little while to get hooked the others move pretty quickly and are definitely worth it. Howatch does a great job combining church life and counselling into a fantastic story.
Linda
This series is built around an English cathedral community. Each book focuses on one of the major players. All of the players are present in all of the books, so the reader sees the same events from differing perspectives. Engrossing. IMO, Howatch's best work.
Rachel
Having read these out of order, I'd been mystified as to why Aysgarth was in one novel as Neville with a perfect wife, and in another as Stephen with a peculiar one - was it even the same. person? This filled in those blanks vet satisfactorily.
Diane
My favorite series...I reread every year. Neville Aysgarth, however, is my least favorite of the characters from Starbridge. However, he adds a depth to the series and a deeper understanding of the Church of England in the 20th Century.
Rebecca
These books are quite different from anything I've read before. They are saturated with Englishness- class, romance, aspiration, war, cathedral and country, but with a truly unique vein of theology and church practice throughout.
Becky
Book 3 in the Starbridge series. I was not expecting to like this book at all but actually found it way more intriguing than book 2 (which revolved around my favorite character in the series).
Sharron
Reading this book was, as with the two earlier books in this series, like reading a Taylor Caldwell novel though with a strong overlay of religion. Entertaining but not memorable.
Tamara
I am really enjoying this series. Each can be read as a stand alone book and enjoyed in their own right. But they are even better when read in order.
booklady
Ha! Finally they have the cover of the edition that I have!

I'm going to come back and write my review of this later but I just had to post this now.
Marilyn Knox
This was hard slogging for awhile. It got more interesting toward the end. I am not going to read any more of her books. Too preachy for me.
Barbara
totally boring...an Episcopal Archbishop in England dreams of women's thighs....got to page 8 and quit.
  • The Sacrament of the Present Moment
  • Life Is Worth Living
  • On Wealth and Poverty
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • A History of Christianity
Susan Howatch (b. 1940) is a British novelist who has penned bestselling mysteries, family sagas, and other novels. Howatch was born in Surrey, England. She began writing as a teen and published her first book when she moved to the United States in 1964. Howatch found global success first with her five sagas and then with her novels about the Church of England in the twentieth century. She has now ...more
More about Susan Howatch...
Cashelmara Penmarric Sins of the Fathers Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1) The Wheel of Fortune

“Life's not about the day when you win the prizes - it's about all the days in between. p 255” 1 likes
“The gifts of the Spirit can be recognized by their fruits.” 0 likes