Start by marking “Six of Swords” as Want to Read:
Six of Swords

Six of Swords (Irissa and Kendric #1)

Irissa was the last of the sorcerous Torlocs, untutored in magic and abandoned upon this decaying world by her people. Kendric was one of the Six of Swords, gifted with a legendary weapon to guard the Realms from harm. But now he was an outcast, and his death was sought with reason by the other Five. Sorceress and swordsman, they were thrown together; each filled with ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 276 pages
Published April 12th 1986 by Del Rey (first published June 12th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Six of Swords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six of Swords

Jason
Oct 05, 2011 Jason rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, time-wasted
I bought this book in the summer of '83 when I first moved to Cleveland. I didn't know anyone & high school was still 3 months away from starting. My mom felt bad that I was alone so she & my dad tried to find ways to keep me from moping. Along with the chores of moving into a new house, they took me to the local bookstores & let me buy what I wanted. Since I was heavily into sci-fi & fantasy at this time (Elric was still swinging his black blade in my world), I decided to find ...more
Dawn
Apr 20, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book 30 years ago! Having lost it over the years, I'm planning on buying a new copy of it, and its companions, to introduce my children to this particular world. Lots of excitement and adventure, but also, if I remember correctly, a great deal of growing up, learning to get along with others different from oneself, and learning to play to your strengths and bolster your companions along the way. A very good book, worth buying all over again!
Donna Wilson
Jun 28, 2014 Donna Wilson rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in middle school. I loved it then, and after rereading it, I still love it. I love the story and I love the fact that the characters go through struggles with themselves, just as you or I would if we were in their situations. This is a good read and if you like the fantasy genre, I highly recommend this book.
Ban
Feb 25, 2010 Ban rated it really liked it
I know time clouds memory and a bunch of the books I'm adding here were read long ago but I DO remember liking this book and thinking, in my young mind, that it was quite 'different'. It's on my to be read again list.
Kivrin
May 31, 2016 Kivrin rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite fantasy books. First read it as a teenager, and many times since then. Maybe I'll do an in-depth review the next time I read it.
Karyn Silverman
Forgot this book until Goodreads recommended it! I have a memory of having loved it. The cover certainly elicited a powerful surge of book nostalgia.
Deanne
Oct 31, 2011 Deanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasyandscifi
Read this years ago, and my copy has been round the world with me. One of those books I reread every so often.
Andrea
Oct 09, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it
I read this series in High School and loved it. It is one I am planning on going back to again.
David Sarkies
Nov 14, 2015 David Sarkies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to David by: I saw it in a bookshop
Shelves: fantasy
Just another fantasy book
18 January 2013

Once again this is one of those books that I read a very long time ago that I pretty much remember nothing about (with the exception of the cover) and upon finishing it pretty much got tossed back onto the bookshelf to be forgotten forever. A quick glance over the synopsis on Goodreads, and a commentary by somebody who basically uses the phrase 'this is what is wrong with 70% to 80% of fantasy today' and 'this is why critics of the genre hate it so much'
Ramón
Sep 17, 2011 Ramón rated it it was ok
This read was pure candy for me. I read it years ago and couldn't remember if I liked it, so I read it again. Now I know why I couldn't remember. There's really not much of substance here. It seems like she tries to put together several fantasy cliches into a single narrative which doesn't hold together.

While I enjoy having to work to understand the internal logic of various magical worlds, I felt like there was no payoff for the questions I put to the characters and the plot. The characters se
Dorian
Aug 18, 2016 Dorian rated it liked it
The two stars is slightly ungenerous, I have to admit, but with limited options to choose from I opted to round the score downward rather than up. This must have been one of the first fantasy novels I read, about 30 years ago. I enjoyed it then and enjoyed re-reading it now. It's no more than a pleasant generic fantasy of no great substance or originality. The characters are superficial but engaging, I enjoyed their sparring, and the cat is very well written, the best thing about the book. The ...more
Audrey
Jul 07, 2012 Audrey rated it it was ok

Would be three stars for a decently interesting world had she not insisted on giving in to the temptation to needlessly connect the story to the King Arthur mythology. It really added nothing.
SBC
Aug 20, 2016 SBC rated it did not like it
Shelves: g-adult-fantasy
Tried the first chapter. Had trouble with the archaic writing style and the way the plot plunged into trouble without any world-setting or back story.
Dralore
Feb 05, 2011 Dralore rated it really liked it
Pretty decent, lots of good imagery use. Towards the end, the sheer volume of description got a bit in the way of narrative (ex. who is doing that again?)
InvenTeck
InvenTeck rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Jake
Jake rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Buffalo
Buffalo rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Franz
Franz rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Robert Bash
Robert Bash rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Timothy Clapin
Timothy Clapin rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Jim Lillie
Jim Lillie rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Roger Decker
Roger Decker rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
alfred marsch
alfred marsch rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Robin P.
Robin P. rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
A.G. Lindsay
A.G. Lindsay rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Adam Dodge
Adam Dodge rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Nina Braden
Nina Braden rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
  • Wizard War
  • The Tower of Fear
  • Windmaster's Bane (David Sullivan, #1)
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • The Sorcerer's Lady (Sorcerer, #1)
  • The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4)
  • Sorcerer's Son (The Book of Elementals, #1)
  • The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #1)
  • When the Changewinds Blow (Changewinds, #1)
  • The Queen's Necklace
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight, #2)
  • Caught in Crystal (Lyra #4)
  • The Tree of Swords and Jewels (Arafel #2)
  • Master of the Five Magics
  • Ars Magica
  • King Javan's Year (The Heirs of Saint Camber, #2 )
  • Echo of Eternity
  • The Destiny of the Sword (The Seventh Sword, #3)
Carole Nelson Douglas is the author of sixty-three award-winning novels in contemporary and historical mystery/suspense and romance, high and urban fantasy and science fiction genres. She is best known for two popular mystery series, the Irene Adler historical suspense novels and the 28-book Midnight Louie contemporary mystery series. Delilah Street, PI (Paranormal Investigator), headlines ...more
More about Carole Nelson Douglas...

Irissa and Kendric (5 books)
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • Keepers of Edanvant (Sword and Circlet #1)
  • Heir of Rengarth (Sword and Circlet, #2)
  • Seven of Swords (Sword and Circlet, #3)