Start by marking “When Smiles Fade” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

When Smiles Fade

Emma was unloved from the moment she was born. Her earliest memory is being severely beaten by her father, Pepper Murphy, when she was eight-years-old. Seething with resentment over the sacrifice of his dreams for a woman he cares little about and children he never wanted, Pepper chooses to blame his oldest daughter. Her mother, Valerie, makes matters worse with her verbal ...more
Published January 23rd 2013 by Createspace

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jan 23, 2013
    Young Emma Murphy kills people, but only if they deserve to die.

Emma was unloved from the moment she was born. Her earliest memory is being beaten by

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 2 copies available, 1072 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 19 - Mar 26, 2017

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

read on goodreads
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about When Smiles Fade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Smiles Fade

Sheri
    Jan 08, 2013 Sheri rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: reviewed
    Paige Dearth has a way of writing about tough subjects that most people either gloss over or simply skip altogether. She does not pretty it up; she just writes what needs to be said. And although the books she writes are fiction, I have no doubt that there are girls and women out in the world who can relate to what she is not afraid to write about.

When Smiles Fade is the story of Emma, a young girl growing up in an unloving, abusive family. Her father blamed her for his own mistakes; her mother
    Shari
    Jan 19, 2014 Shari rated it it was ok
    I get that there are horrible people out there who do horrible things to other people. Do we really need to push the issue so hard? The childhood tragedy was enough for Emma to have to suffer through. At what point do we say, that's enough rape for one book?
    Also, at what point do I get to question Emma's decision making? She's a victim who is so strong and tough that she takes out not one, but two of her abusers then disfigures her mother to show that she is not a victim anymore. Then, she just
    Sahina Bibi
    Jun 21, 2013 Sahina Bibi rated it really liked it
    Having previously already read and reviewed one of Paige’s heart wrenching books, I knew when she announced her new book, that I was in for another rollercoaster of a ride.

What leaves you breathless about Paige’s books, and this is no different than the first, is the amount of emotions you find yourself going through as a reader. From the total unexpected anguish that you didn’t see coming from the first page, to the bubble of hope as you travel on a journey with these characters and find yourse
    Sheri
    May 12, 2013 Sheri rated it it was amazing
    When Smiles Fade (Paige Dearth)

Emma Murphy was unloved from the day she was born. Brutally abused by her father Pepper, and verbally abused by her mother Valerie. She wants to protect her younger sister Gracie, she can not even think of her sister going through what she did.

As Emma matures the memories of her abuse haunt her, they hound her to no end. Soon she has a vengeance, she no longer wants to be the victim. She takes off and hopes to begin a new life. Along the way she makes new friends,
    Annie
    Jan 01, 2013 Annie rated it did not like it
    It was... a trying read. So tiring and so repetitive. Rape, rape, and some more rape. It was the same thing in every chapter. Like, holy shit - calm down.

FTC - I received this book for free through Goodreads giveaway.
    Sue1958
    Paige Dearth is a masterful writer in this section of child abuse because of her involvement/experiences. However, we understand that repetitive rape happens over and over again, its hard for the child, hard for all involved and hard to stomach at times by the reader.

I didn't have to choose to read this, I could have turned my back on the book, however, Paige Dearth has a knack of keeping me drawn in, good or bad.

In some instances I did find a few things not needed to be repeated as I felt lik
    Sharon L
    Jan 09, 2015 Sharon L rated it liked it
    2.5 stars.

This was better than the first one. Emma was stronger. The story was more gritty and terrifying but I liked seeing how Emma rose above things, though she was creepy as hell...the things she did. Still, in some ways she remained a victim and her sister (who she tried to protect) was all victim. I found it awful.

Writing wise this one is better, there was a little more showing than telling in contrast to the previous book that was all telling. Still this one was mostly telling.

I did see
    Mari
    Jan 31, 2014 Mari rated it it was ok
    To me it seemed like it was capitalizing on shock value. The reader is supposed to go "Oh no!" while eagerly reading all the overblown horror. Of course kids are born in to cycles of terrible abuse. I have known several people who were severely abused in their childhood. But the reasons seemed trite and unrealistic. Parents usually simply do it because it was done to them...and because kids are a burden. No big reasons like blame for their own failures are needed.
    And in the end it doesn't justi
    Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
    OMG if I went through everything that happened to Emma I would have shot myself. Since she was a little girl she withstood both physical and verbal abuse....this continued through her adult life. But Emma and her sister Grace take off in their teenage years and life did not get better. Emma took care of her sister even when life was unbearable. Great book, a page turner and a big, big, big surprise for the ending....
    Jennifer Levac
    I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The original review can be found on Genuine Jenn

When I received the email for this book tour I was super excited as I have had Paige's first book on my to-be-read list on Goodreads for awhile and was just waiting for a time to slip it in between reviews. I knew this would be a very emotional read but I thought I was ready for it. Paige has a way of roping you into the story from the get go. This book was written in a third person
    Curse of the Bibliophile
    Feb 13, 2013 Curse of the Bibliophile rated it it was amazing
    A poignant story that will have you thinking about it long after the last page has been turned.
    This author has a way of writing that really gets you into the book and makes you feel as if you are right there with the characters. The story is a touching and powerful tale about abuse and its effects. How one girl deals with her life and her journey to a better one.
    The imagery was fantastic and gave life and richness to the story. Adding to the effect and bringing out the emotions of the story. At
    Oct 19, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
    I read BELIEVE LIKE A CHILD. In fact, Paige sent me a paperback to review and it made the "shelf of honor" on my bookshelf. WHEN SMILES FADE had me cringing even more that BELIEVE LIKE A CHILD. Oh my goodness...oh my goodness. As in usual Paige writing style, the story will play out, in every detail, like a movie in your mind. Reality is these things REALLY are happening. I kept finding myself shaking my head, my heart breaking, thankful for the mom and dad I grew up with and the loving, kind an ...more
    Pianogirl1126
    Jan 16, 2016 Pianogirl1126 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    if you have not yet read this author, you need to! I have now read all of her books and this one has been my favorite. they are all great - the heroine in this book has the biggest cajones I have ever seen and I was rooting for her from beginning to end! So enjoyed this book - when Ms. Dearth comes out with her next one I will be in line to read it for sure!
    Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
    I will also do a video review here at my channel: http://www.youtube.com/magicofbooks

"When Smiles Fade" by Paige Dearth tells the story of Emma Murphy who has been physically, verbally, and mentally abused by her father, while her mother stands by and does nothing. Wanting to get away and create a better life, Emma runs away with her little sister, Gracie. Emma and Gracie face constant obstacles and dangerous people, and a better life seems so far away.

Page Death kindly contacted me and asked me
    Nancy Brady
    Full disclosure: I received this novel through a Shelf Awareness Book Buzz giveaway, directly from the author (thank you again), but that in no way affected this review.

How does a reader review a book that is about abuse--verbal, physical, and sexual abuse? Especially of an young girl at the hands of a father with the tacit approval of the mother? For that is the dilemma that this particular reader has with reviewing this novel. To say it was enjoyable, it wasn't always pleasant reading (althoug
    Todd
    Dec 05, 2013 Todd rated it really liked it
    Back in November I had the opportunity to review Paige Dearth's first novel, Believe Like a Child.  Later, she gracefully agreed to an interview with me, which you can read here.  Now, after some great anticipation, I've gotten to read her latest book, When Smiles Fade.  Taking place during roughly the same time as her first book, When Smiles Fade follows a young girl named Emma as she attempts to make her way through a tough childhood in Pennsylvania.

Emma and her sister, Gracie, have grown up
    LAWonder10
    Jan 28, 2014 LAWonder10 rated it it was amazing
    'When Smiles Fade' is a riveting tale of, primarily, to sister who suffered atrocities at the cruel hands of parents who were meant to love and nurture them. Though constantly belittled and told the abuse was their fault, the eldest sister, Emma grew to know the abuse had nothing to do with the girls own actions. For a very short time an elderly neighbor offered love and praise..much too short of a time.

Emma was the care taker of her younger sister. Gracie. Emma suffered more abuse than she norm
    Rebekah Crain
    Apr 07, 2015 Rebekah Crain rated it really liked it
    Dearth has once again pulled at the heart strings, turned the stomach, and genuinely brought about feelings so epically horrifying and amazing. Her raw talent for writing about a world she once knew or could have easily known is nothing short of heartbreaking. To be able to know even an inkling of the pain, horror, loneliness, fear, and destitution that her characters in this series of books experience is simply gut wrenching.

I really enjoyed how even though this story was in and of itself a co
    Amanda
    Oct 09, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    When smiles fade by Paige Dearth

Wow you all got to read this book
    This is the second book by Paige I read and wow I loved it I was hooked from the first page to the last it just so gripping to read this story will stay with you long after you read it i found it so thought provoking too it packed with twist and turns it a very dark deep read again it so well written just like ' Believe like a child' was it will keep you on the edge of your seat as you read

It was very hard to read at time the chi
    Tana
    Jun 27, 2016 Tana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    When Smiles Fade by Paige Dearth

I will say one thing about Paige Dearth is her writing feels very realistic, and you get swept into the story, the writing is exceptional, the story is hard to believe at times, but so very true at the same time. My god it takes a person a day or two just to get over reading her books. But I highly suggest you do.

This story is about Emma and her sister the abuse they suffer from their parents and how they handle it. Their life is not easy and sometime you have to
    Kasee Johnson
    Aug 22, 2013 Kasee Johnson rated it it was amazing
    Heart-wrenching. Anger-inducing. Extremely well written. Paige Dearth weaves magic into a life that nobody should ever have to live. I was mortified by what Emma faced, I was hurt that she was in so much pain, and I was angry at some of her decisions. I rallied for her, I railed against her, and I loved her with all my heart. AMAZING book.
    Courtney Romines
    Mar 29, 2015 Courtney Romines rated it it was amazing
    The way that Dearth writes is very brutal and honest, but it works very well for the subject matter of this book. This book had me grasping for more, and the ending wasn't predictable like most. If I could give this book more stars, I would.
    Cheres Melendez
    Jan 09, 2016 Cheres Melendez rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: contemp
    wow just...... wow what an incredible book. this book brought soo many emotions out of me I couldn't put it down! I literally felt every emotion Emma went through. well written and so addictive to read.
    Lyn
    Oct 25, 2016 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: writing-interest
    I discovered this author by sheer accident at Peddler's Village during a conversation with Christina Paul. I am delighted I found this gem. I was sad to hear I missed meeting Ms. Dearth in person.

The topic is a difficult one about child abuse and molestation, unfortunately, a topic I am all too familiar. This topic is frequently glazed over because authors are unsure how to address the different audiences.
    Ms. Dearth did an excellent job telling young Emma's poignant story. I began the book at 1
    Vicki - I Love Reading
    Feb 03, 2015 Vicki - I Love Reading rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: read-2015

wow. I really didn't know what to expect with this book. But by God i enjoyed it. I have had this on my kindle for quite a while, and have finally gotten around to reading it, when my mother in law told me she has just read it and really enjoyed it.

I have to say since reading it, I have been and bought two more books by this author.
    It was a very quick and easy to follow story line. Despite the story line being about abuse, once you get past this, is fantastic to see how life can change, when you
    salma zaman
    Jan 06, 2017 salma zaman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Unputdownable

What a book emotional tear jerking. But it makes you laugh and cry and silently celebrate in equal measures.loved it
    Dianne

Emotionally jarring, brutally horrific, and all too often, stomach turning, When Smiles Fade by Paige Dearth is sinister, dark and revolting. It is also an eye-opening look at abuse and its demons and while a work of fiction, lays bare the ugly truths of child abuse in our society. Ms. Dearth has turned her main character, Emma into the poster child for the tortures that real-life children helplessly face every single day.

Remember thinking how “mean” your parents could be, not letting you do wh
    GoodGlory
    **I received this book as a winner in the Goodreads first reads program**

(view spoiler)
    Patricia
    Jul 09, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing

This is the third book I have read by this fabulous author. Meet Emma a young girl who is unloved and unwanted by her father and mother. She is beaten on a daily basis by her father. She protects her sister until the day that they can't take it any more and takes off. They are onto to a better life but with lots of twists and turns , she faces all her challenges head on and creates a life for her and her sister. She is trapped again by a cruel boyfriend that does the unthinkable and when she th
    ♡B♡
    Mar 16, 2015 ♡B♡ rated it really liked it
    I had to take a small break after reading her One Among Us book. It was a great book but it did take a tole on me because I have children that are the same age and it just hit close to home for me. I couldn't wait to start another one of her books though. I love her writing. It is so raw, dark, gritty and a side that I never thought much about. I look at people who are on the street different now. I never put much thought into what their story might be. That being said after I had a few light re ...more
    review 2 13 Oct 12, 2016 11:53AM
    Making Connections: When Smiles Fade by Paige Dearth August 15-August 21st 19 111 Aug 21, 2013 06:37AM
    • The Bride Price (An African Romance, #1)
    • Saving Rain (Rain Trilogy, #1)
    • Empty Arms
    • Chicago's Headmistress
    • GRINGA - In the Clutches of a Ruthless Drug-Lord (#3)
    • A Haunting in Oregon (The River #2)
    • Lord of the Abbey (Lords of Avalon #1)
    • The Spellbound Spirit (The Curious Collectibles #2)
    • Safer Outside (Outside Series #1)
    • A Sea of Shields/A Reign of Steel/A Land of Fire (The Sorcerer's Ring, #10-12)
    • Butterfly Lane (Firefly Hollow, #2)
    • Little Victim: Britain's Vulnerable Children and the Cops Who Rescue Them
    • The Day is a White Tablet
    • Apparition Lake
    • Give Me Hope (Reason, #2)
    • Gideon's Secondhand Bride (Six Brides for Six Gideons, #1)
    • The Captive
    • Alma's Mail Order Husband (Texas Brides #1)
    SIGN UP FOR HER NEWSLETTER AT: http://paigedearth.com/the-quarterly-...

SOME DIRT ON PAIGE:

Paige Dearth was a victim of child abuse. She writes real-life horror and refers to her work as: Fiction with Mean-ing. Stories teach lessons and Paige hopes that awareness through fiction creates prevention.

Paige will continue to write stories about young children who need to overcome adversity and then tak
    More about Paige Dearth...

“JUST LISTEN

“When your mind is quiet and you listen closely, you will hear the children weeping silently. If you can’t quite hear their cries, then listen with your eyes. These are the children of the streets, who have learned pain and suffering before they ever had a chance to experience life. Do not ignore their cries for help, for all they wish is that you will rescue them. They do not have a family that wants them, they don’t know how it feels to be loved and they’ve never lived anywhere that felt like home…the streets are where they find their voice and relief from all of the suffering.

Just listen and you’ll see them.”
    21 likes