Start by marking “Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)

Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,206 ratings  ·  187 reviews
I stopped believing in monsters long ago. But I knew I wasn't imagining things when I found one in my kitchen baking muffins. I'd seen him before: lurking in my closet, scaring the crap out of my five-year-old self. Turns out that was a misunderstanding, and now Maurice needs a place to stay. How could I say no?

After all, I've always been a magnet for the emotionally needy
Published July 30th 2012 by Carina Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Monster in My Closet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster in My Closet

I loved this book so much, I wanted to hug it, and squeeze it, and then read it again. I am so happy this is going to be a series, I love the characters that much.

It starts off with Zoey, a free spirit with a questionable taste in clothes. Zoey is an empath, but never being trained, doesn’t know how to shield, so she suffers from migraines. Zoeys powers are pretty rare, so when she becomes the target of an incubus it takes some old friends, and new to keep her safe.

Enter Maurice, oh Maurice how
Aisling Zena

"Sometimes we all need a hug and a heart full of lies, even if the relief won’t last."

I really enjoyed this book! I found my self smiling through most of it and got a tiny bit teary eyed in some parts. I cry easy, don't judge.

Zoey wakes up one morning thinking an intruder broke in her house only to find the monster that scared her as a child lounging in the kitchen having coffee and behaving like her BFF. Coincidentally dressed in a Hello kitty t-shirt and armed with a toilet brush(Zoey
Jacob Proffitt
As easy entertainment, the book was cruising right along and taking me with it. Until a bit after the midpoint. Zoey had an interesting personality and an interesting ability. Further, it informed her character as someone who likes to help other people. I'm not much of a fan of the doormat female, but it didn't get too annoying in this book so I was mostly able to roll with it.

As long as I wasn't taking it too seriously, it worked. I mean, there's no way an empath could get to her late 20s and n
At the age of 28 Zoey discovers that she is not like other women. She learns that she's an empath in the worst possible way. An incubus has developed a taste for her and is using her as an all you can eat buffet. Before long the people around her start dying, sucked dry.

Determined to protect her friends she enlists the help of a motley group of psychics, monsters and fairies but as a demon the incubus can't be destroyed and the best she can hope to do is banish him...but to do that she'll need
I admit I fell in love with the book from the first words. In, I’m lying! I think that since the moment I saw the book’s title I became desperate to find out the story. I have a bad habit of creating different expectations around a novel, depending of it’s title and cover and of course, in this case also, once I saw those elements I suspected/hoped that the story would be as original as it seemed to be. And fortunately, I wasn’t wrong. I loved the novel written by R.L. Naquin from the f ...more
Egalley thanks to Carina Press
This is very much a paranormal chick-lit novel, despite the bodies dropping right, left and centre. It's lighthearted, funny and entertaining, and it was a pleasure to read it.

Zoey is what I like about chick-lit. She is flamboyant, geeky and very eccentric redhead wedding planner. She is also an empath who ends up absorbing feelings of everyone else around her.

So when one morning she gets out of bed and finds a closet monster in her kitchen making her a fresh cup
Monster in My Closet is the first book in the Monster Haven series, which centers around our eccentric main character Zoey.

Zoey gets the fright of her life when the monster in the closet from her youth is sitting at her table. It quickly becomes more shocking when she finds out his name is Maurice, and that his wife has left him. Zoey tumbles head-first into a world she never knew existed. She always helps people - but who is going to help her?

The best thing about this book is that it's such lig
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading Monster in My Closet, this is the first book in what is set to be an incredibly fun series and I can't wait to read more from R.L. Naquin. The main character Zoey is just your average girl, she lives a fairly normal life and enjoys working alongside her best friend Sara as a wedding planner. Zoey hasn't believed in monsters since she was a child and thought she saw one hiding in her closet but of course she grew out of that fear, until she comes downst ...more
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
A fun escape into a paranormal world of monsters and mayhem!

Most kids think see monsters in the closet or under their bed throughout their childhood but Zoey was almost scared to death by one when she was five. She's put that awful memory behind her and tried to move on, owning her own wedding planning business...until she wakes up one morning to the smell of coffee and muffins in her kitchen by none other than the very same monster who she encountered in her childhood. The monster in question n
One-word review: fun.

To expand upon this: What a ridiculous amount of fun!

To explain: This is the tale of Zoey, an unusual lady who with her friend Sarah plans weddings for those lucky enough to find them. It doesn't really signify that Sarah is single and Zoey is divorced from the extremely clingy Brad (who just will not go away) – they're good at what they do.

As the description says, one night Zoey is wakened by the sound of someone in her house, and discovers her intruder is not entirely a
Mandy Sickle
Opening Sentence -
Of all the possible weapons I might have grabbed, I chose a toilet brush....

Review -

I received this book from Netgalley to read and review.

The story starts off with Zoey waking up to sounds in the kitchen, she grabs a toilet brush and rushes in to find the monster from the closet when she was five years old. He pushes her into a seat at the table and servers her fresh orangestrawberry muffins (totally made me want to make some and still might) He explains how sorry he is to hav
My review:
Helping and understanding people have been her life until some days ago. Zoey, a twenty-eight wedding planning woman has been receiving emotions from everyone except from her. Working everyday along with Sara, her bestfriend and once college roommate and now business partner she most understand her new life. When she was five years old, she was being scared my a little monster that was lurking in the shadows in her closet, just to come back to her life; older, cooks good and needs a ho
When Zoey was five a closet monster scared her half to death. She never sees him again until the morning she wakes up to find that same closet monster, whose name is Maurice, sitting at her kitchen table with homemade muffins and no place else to go. She's pretty sure her life just skidded off track. Add to that her heretofore unidentified empathic abilities, a murderus incubus and a super hot paramedic and you get a funny and thrilling fantasy.

Really fun, I'm hoping for a sequel!

Aug 03, 2012 Marsha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults
Most of us have a memory or two where we called for our mommies and daddies in the middle of the night because we saw a shadow or we thought there was a monster in the closet or under our beds. Well, what if instead of a bad monster it was really a creature that was temporarily living in your house until a more suitable home could be found for it? Zoey is a wedding planner in Sausalito, California. She recalls screaming for her mother in the middle of the night when she saw a monster come out of ...more
3.5 stars - Just some quick thoughts... Zoey is a quirky empath/wedding planner with questionable taste in clothing who discovers a hidden word of supernatural creatures when her childhood monster-under-the-bed comes home (after his wife kicks him out). Monster in My Closet, the Monster Haven series starter, was cute and sad both - the muffin making monster and the new residents of Zoey's home which has suddenly become a half-way house for displaced supernaturals was cute but there is bit of dar ...more
Monster in My Closet is a breath of fresh air that isn't afraid to step outside the box. It has all the aspects of a book that I could ever hope for. Urban Fantasy, a dash of romance, paranormal creatures, and silly scenes. There was no doubt in my mind that this book is a must read just by reading the first line.

"Of all the possible weapons I might have grabbed, I choose a toilet brush."

The main character, Zoey, is an empath that always seems to draw in people that are in need. Upon confronting
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here:

Zoey is half owner of a bridal consulting firm, Happily Ever After, with her best friend Sara. She’s also an empath, although until recently, has always thought she was just particularly sensitive to others’ feelings. When she gets up one morning and there is a monster at her kitchen table, humming to himself, reading the paper and sipping coffee, her world is turned upside down, very suddenly. The monster’s name is Mauric
So Much Fun!
Even at five, Zoey knew monsters weren't real. Sure, she was terrified when she thought she saw a monster in her closet as she lay in bed at night, but when her mom came in and opened that closet door, turned on the light, and shooed that imaginary monster right on out of there, Zoey knew that her mom was being the wonderful mother she was, humoring her and taking her fear away by being silly. Monsters aren't real. Everyone knows that.

And for twenty-three years that was merely a fact
∞ Λmy
Apr 18, 2013 ∞ Λmy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to ∞ Λmy by: roxtao

Oh, well...This one was sweet! I wasn't sure how would turn this "Monster in My Closet" premise, but the writer took my doubts away and pleasantly surprised me.

Starting with empath, kind-hearted Zoey, a slightly weird woman with outrageous fashion style, to the magic creatures like good-smelling Skunk-apes, Brownies, Dragons and more, to a Demon who kills women in a very strange way...all combined in this story, made this a light book with some dark corners with a lot of adventures!

I liked t
Olivia ツ
Very cute story! 28 year old Zoe wakes up one morning to find her childhood closet monster seating in her kitchen reading the paper and drinking coffee. While most people would've been scared, Zoe takes it all in stride. So ends her "normal" life. Unknown to Zoe, she is an empath. Her skills come in handy in her wedding planning business and all would've been well except that an incubus demon is after her.

Throw in a mixture of "hidden" or mythical creatures along with a quirky Zoe and you've got
Zoey has a couple TSTL moments, but the whole story is so light-hearted and campy that it's totally forgivable when she doesn't actually die.
Jenny Schwartz
What a wonderful world Monster Haven is. It's full of fascinating ideas that I'm hoping will be explored in future books. The characters are warm and people you'd like to meet -- well, except for the villains.

It's such a different sort of book that I'm not too sure how to write this review -- then again, reviews and I often struggle.

And then there's the whole issue of spoilers...hmm, anything I say will probably be one. Ok. Read the book and tell me what you think of it. I think it's fantasy wi
I picked this book up from NetGalley a while ago as it sounds like a fun read, but I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. Zoey is a quirky girl, running her own business as a wedding planner with her best friend Sara. Business is pretty busy and keeps her on her toes.

When a strange creature appears in her kitchen one morning, everything Zoey ever knew changes. This creature is the monster from her closet from when she was a child. The monster

This book rocked! I could not put it down! Such a different take on paranormal! Light, fun, easy read! I want more! This one is going in my new favorite series pile!!!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
*Review to come*
I admit I picked this book to review because of the title. I was curious... I mean who hasn't been stalked by the closet monster at least once in their life. Plus, this book just sounded like fun.

Oh I was so right. This book is just fun. Not an on the edge of your chair book, nor a huge smexy time book, but there are hints at both. The heroine isn't snarky like I usually enjoy, but quirky enough that you just enjoyed her presence. Plus you can't forget the monster in the closet! I mean I would t
I really enjoyed the first half. Zoey seems like a funny, kind person who finds herself on the road to self-discovery, prompted by the return of a monster who hid in her closet when she was a child. The world building was delightful and sweet, except for the incubis. (He was described a few times as being sexy and pirate-like. Personally, I think pirates are far more creepy than sexy, but pop culture tells me I'm in the minority on that one).

Anyway, somewhere in the second half, things started t
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

After the first few sentences involving a plunger being used as a weapon, I knew I was going to love MONSTER IN MY CLOSET complete with all of its cheekiness and quirky characters. I liked how fast Zoey accepted the fact that all of these creatures she is discovering are real and she has empathic powers. Since she discovers all of this in pretty rapid succession her acceptance was pretty much out of exasperation at the constant barrage of more strangene
Aspen Junge
Disclaimer: the author is a friend of mine. However, let that not distract from her general awesomeness.

Monsters in My Closet is charming. Unlike most urban fantasy, there are no dark-eyed, smoldering vampires, no werewolves with animalistic passions, and the heroine, quite frankly, has much better things to do than faint at the first sign of danger. There are weddings to be planned, after all.

Zoe would do anything for her friends and family. The definition of "friends and family" grows unexpect
Yolanda Sfetsos
OMG. This book was SO MUCH FUN! I loved it. I just couldn't put it down. And isn't the cover totally cute? :)

Zoey and her best friend Sara are busy wedding planners. Zoey has always been prone to helping others and can even read their feelings, which gives her migraines. She always assumed everyone could do it as well, until the closet monster from her childhood enters her life and changes everything.

Now, she has to come to terms with monsters being real and offers shelter to Maurice (closet mon
Book Giveaways: Win a copy of Monster in My Closet 1 41 Jul 24, 2012 10:02PM
Advanced Copies f...: Win a copy of Monster in My Closet 1 17 Jul 23, 2012 05:24PM
Free Books, .99 &...: Win a copy of Monster in My Closet 1 13 Jul 23, 2012 05:22PM
Anticipating! 1 12 Jun 28, 2012 12:51AM
  • The Guardian of Bastet
  • How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3)
  • The Stubborn Dead (Lost Souls #1)
  • Running in the Dark
  • Twisted Miracles (The Shadowminds, #1)
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • Banshee Charmer (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, #1)
  • Buckingham Palace Blues
  • The Asylum Interviews: Bronx (The Asylum Tales, #0.5)
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Cold Courage (Studio, #1)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Precinct 13
  • Never Deal with Dragons (Never Deal with Dragons, #1)
  • Who Needs Enemies (Harri Phillecki, PI, #1)
  • Red (Transplanted Tales, #1)
  • Soul Sucker (Soul Justice, #1)
Rachel is the author of the urban fantasy Monster Haven series from Carina Press. She believes in magic, the power of love, good cheese, lucky socks, and putting things off until stress gets them done faster at the last minute. Her home is Disneyland, despite her current location in Kansas.
Be among the special peeps who get all the R.L. Naquin updates first by sign
More about R.L. Naquin...

Monster Haven (6 books)
  • Pooka in My Pantry (Monster Haven, #2)
  • Fairies in My Fireplace (Monster Haven, #3)
  • Golem in My Glovebox (Monster Haven, #4)
  • Demons in My Driveway (Monster Haven, #5)
  • Phoenix in My Fortune (Monster Haven, #6)
Pooka in My Pantry (Monster Haven, #2) Fairies in My Fireplace (Monster Haven, #3) Golem in My Glovebox (Monster Haven, #4) Demons in My Driveway (Monster Haven, #5) Phoenix in My Fortune (Monster Haven, #6)

“Nice one, Zoey. You did everything short of farting in there. Maybe if you see him again, you can tell him you have a yeast infection.” 7 likes
“I often heard people advise breathing through the mouth to avoid a stench, but I was of the well-considered opinion if I didn’t want it in my nostrils, I sure as hell didn’t want it in my mouth.” 5 likes