MetaWars: Fight for the Future
read book

MetaWars: Fight for the Future (MetaWars #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Published August 2nd 2012 by Orchard Books

Misty
Fight for the future is a constant thrill ride that kept me riveted from the first page all the way until the last. It's full of excitement and action right the way through as Jonah is thrust into the middle of a war and has to choose his side, but everything's not as black and white as you originally think, and as you follow Jonah on his journey you find out and become just as confused as he does about which is the right side.
The best boy heroes are always the ones that aren't perfect, and who...more
Darren Hartwell
This review first appeared on The Book Zone(For Boys) blog

You would have to be some kind of hermit living in a shack on a remote Pacific island not to have noticed the glut of YA dystopian novels that have flooded the market of the past couple of years. If I'm brutally honest, I'm getting more than a little bored of them, but there is still one sub-genre of this that still excites me - tech. Over the past year or so I have had the pleasure of reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (written for...more
SJH (A Dream of Books)
Jeff Norton is a writer-director turned author who aimed to write a book for the current generation of teenagers obsessed with video games and living in a technology fuelled society. 'Metawars' is Norton's debut YA novel and is a roller coaster ride through a virtual world where people go to escape the humdrum existence of their real lives.

Elements of the story reminded me of the film The Matrix, with people plugging themselves into a virtual reality which is more real to them that their own day...more
Andrea
What an adventure! I wasn't sure what to expect from MetaWars, but what I got was a fantastic, imaginative journey. And I'll be the first to say, I'm not always the most enthusiastic fan of young adult science fiction, but I found MetaWars to be creative and so much fun.

So MetaWars takes place in the near(ish) future and the world is so bleak that most spend their time in the MetaSphere. The MetaSphere is a space that functions much like reality, people have jobs, they interact with one another...more
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
Even better the second time round! Powering onto the next one now :D

Also posted on my blog here

This is actually a reread for me. I read this book back in the beginning of the year and absolutely adored it. However, my library didn’t hold the rest of the series and this made me sad. However, thanks to the lovely Jeff Norton and people at Orchard Books, I now have the first three in the series!

Metawars takes place in a futuristic world where people plug into a virtual world; the Metasphere. Alth...more
Melanie
For those of you who don't read YA fiction because you think it's only for novice readers, this book will have you thinking again. From the very first page I was hooked, and not just because this novel is ACTION ACTION ACTION. The characters, the intensely high-conflict scenerios, the world-building, the plot - all were well-crafted and exciting. Megawars offers a great read for people of all ages. If you love politics and future dystopias (with a whole lot of people fighting for a better future...more
Tim Gardner
Amazing concept and packed with action.
A real page-turner combining elements of Avatar with the ever-present survival instincts of The Hunger Games and Mission Impossible (film) with the lines between good and evil shifting and blurring.
Thought-provoking and rich world that we're not so far away from...
A must-read for YA & Adult fans alike and HUGE potential for forthcoming instalments.
Kevin McDonnell
Really Cool story. Based in the future and the future it predicts in the book seems one of the most likely futures to come. Global warming takes affect, wars have ruined the landscape and governments failing, rich indivinduals are the only ones doing well. Really intresting and original "virtual world" concept. One of those books you can't stop readong until the end.
Myrthe
Very nice concept and thrilling story! I'm curious about the second book, because the ending of this book predicts some pretty nice twists in that one.
Sabine Edwards
Not usually my cup of tea but really enjoyed this. It's fast paced and action packed - ideal for encouraging young readers.
Fight for the Future is a fast paced and action packed adventure story set in a future where the real world is so bleak that people have chosen to take refuge in the virtual one. When people live in squalor it is no wonder that they spend the majority of their time plugged into the Metasphere, a vibrant virtual world where anything is possible. The Metasphere has become such an important part of people's daily lives that it shouldn't be surprising that different factions are fighting for control...more
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
I want to say this first, I am in love with this cover. I love how it portrays both worlds, the real world and the virtual world, the Metasphere. Seeing the stark reality of how these worlds differ from each other made it so much easier to picture the struggle humans have that live and then chose to work in the real world, and how vastly different it is from our own world we live in now, but also what our world could become.

Now that's out of the way I can get on with my review. I have no idea ho...more
Katja Weinert
The focus of MetaWars is the battle between the Millenials and
Guardians for control of the Metasphere - in both the virtual and the real world.
The Metasphere is a strange online world in which people are represented by their avatars. These are normally shapes or animal forms. Even news presenters are shown through their virtual representations on TV screens in the real world. So that current affairs are narrated by say, a flamingo or elephant.
Sounds crazy, but with the amount of time we all...more
Melanie
DNF. The bit about how they connect to the metasphere squiced me out badly. Way too much detail. Eww.
Catherine
I really wanted to like this book. It had an interesting premise - set in the future, when the norm is to literally plug oneself into the Meta World (like the internet only better), which is a lot better for many than the real world.
However for some reason, and I can't say why as it should have ticked all the boxes for me, I just couldn't get into it. It was a bit difficult to understand at first, and I also found it difficult to like any of the characters much.
Overall it was okay, but maybe I j...more
Mrsshuttleworth
In an unforgiving future, two warring factions - the MILLENIALS and the GUARDIANS - are locked in a brutal battle over control of an online virtual world called the Metasphere. Jonah Delacroix has always known which side he's on - the same side as his dead father. But when he assumed his father's avatar, he learns that things aren't as black and white as he once believed. He's catapulted into a full-throttle race through both worlds - but can he find the truth?
Jean
I think the idea was really creative; two worlds side by side, but for some reason it didn't really catch my attention; it wasn't a page turner.
Tara
I didn't particularly like it but I can see how people would. it is well written but not my kind of book im afraid.
Tushar Prasad
A decent and enjoyable read.
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Lauren Stoolfire
Lauren Stoolfire marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
NormaCenva
NormaCenva marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Cyril
Cyril marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Meli
Meli marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
  • Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1)
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • The Timekeeper's Son (The Timekeepers, #1)
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • Stray (Stray, #1)
  • The Wrong Door
  • The Repossession (Repossession, #1)
  • Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1)
  • There Comes a Prophet
  • Glaze
  • Geekhood: Close Encounters of the Girl Kind
  • Removed (The Nogiku Series, #1)
  • Mystical Seduction
  • Earthfall
  • All Fall Down
  • Itch Rocks (Itch, #2)
  • Slipstream (A Crisis of Two Worlds, #1)
  • Hearts of Fire (Deadglass, #0.5)
A reluctant reader as a boy, Jeff is passionate about creating stories that will turn reluctant readers into lifelong ones.

Before writing full-time, Jeff managed the Enid Blyton literary estate. Jeff moved to London from Los Angeles where he'd developed and produced the critically acclaimed interactive movie Choose Your Own Adventure, based on the best-selling books.

Originally from Canada, Jeff li...more
More about Jeff Norton...
MetaWars: The Dead Are Rising (MetaWars 2.0) MetaWars: Battle Of The Immortal (MetaWars 3.0) Metawars: The Freedom Frontier (Metawars, #4) Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie