Start by marking “Ten” as Want to Read:

Ten

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,783 Ratings  ·  1,740 Reviews
SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of
Published September 18th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Ten, please sign up.

Ally that's why i WANTED to read it haha :) more a "modern interpretation" i'd say as everything is essentially a "rip off" of something else.

Wendy Darling
A group of teenagers arrive on an isolated island for a party weekend. But one by one, they all start to die...

If I'd never read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, or as it used to be called, Ten Little Indians (view spoiler), this retelling of that classic mystery might've been a more agreeable surprise with its many twists and turns. Even though my recollection of the specific details of who did what in the original story are fairly fu
karen

this isn't going to be one of my two-star reviews where i trash the book and scream and moan about how terrible it was. because it wasn't that it was terrible, it was just...trite. if you have read a million books, like i have, there is nothing here that is going to surprise you (except for the fact that the people in this book put TOMATOES in the FRIDGE!! - why would you ruin a perfectly good tomato???).

it is sortof kindof a retelling of and then there were none, but not really, not at the end
Evie
I think I need a cold shower, cup of hot choco and a teddy bear to snuggle up with.
This book destroyed my mental stability.
Suck on a thumb much?

Blythe
Vengeance is mine; I will repay.
For the time when their foot shall slide.
For the day of their disaster is near.
And their doom comes swiftly.

Ten is the story of ten (ha! Get it? Because the book is called Ten? Ah. I'll just stop now...) teenagers who are all invited to a secret house party on a secluded island over the course of a three-day weekend. Expecting to have a fun, drunken and hormonally stereotypical time at the party, best friends Meg and Minnie decide to go, despite Meg's reservati
Stacia (the 2010 club)

The words were centered on the title page, written in red ink. It should have been ominous. It should have kept Meg from turning the next page.

Not so much.

The word (review) was my own addition.

Who ever listens when told to stop doing something? The words "keep out" aren't much different from waving a red cape in front of an angry bull. It only dares us to charge right in.

You know, I can't even fault her for doing it. If people were dropping like flies all around me (this is not a spoiler...I
Mitch
Sep 19, 2012 Mitch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The last time I remember seeing this setup - a seemingly random group of people is lured to a remote mansion where they’re killed one by one in ever more gruesome fashion in a half-crazed bid for revenge, it was an episode of Family Guy. Seth MacFarlane cribbed the plot from Agatha Christie, sure, but it was still a damn funny parody. In Ten, Gretchen McNeil takes that exact same well-worn story of horror and revenge, but adds nothing new to it really.

The only thing this book doesn’t lack for is
Beatrice Masaluñga
I didn't expect a mystery / horror novel will put me out of the reading slump. The summary is intriguing but I wasn't that sure if I'm going to love it or not because mystery/thriller/horror books aren't really my type of genre. I started this one last night and it totally gave me goose bumps. It is fast-paced, intriguing, creepy and it made me nervous. I just couldn't put this book down.

Ten teens. Three Days. One Killer.

A house party on a secluded island wherein teens should have been having a
Nikki Katz
Oct 28, 2011 Nikki Katz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just had the amazing opportunity to read Ten ... and that's a feat in itself, because (as I've told Gretchen one hundred times) "I don't do horror!" But this book was perfect. It had just the right amount of romantic tension, character quirks, and mystery thrown in with the horror elements to keep me from cowering under my blankets with all of the lights on. Okay. Maybe I did cower under the blankets with a couple lights on. Shh, don't tell anyone.

The twists and turns kept me guessing until th
Brad Sells
I can't even begin to explain how much I love TEN! TEN is a fast-paced thriller, with jump-out-of-your-seat moments, secrets that will shock you, and an ending that will terrify you until the very last page.

I should start off by saying that i read TEN in one night: start to finish. I couldn't put it down! McNeil composed a mystery novel in which all of the events in this book actually made sense. She did a terrific job with this novel, and I would recommend it to anybody -- mystery lover or not
Carrie
Jan 23, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this. And it was so effing good that I'm jealous of MYSELF for having read it.
Jill Heather
Sep 18, 2012 Jill Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Have you read And Then There Were None? Congratulations, you've already read this book, except it was better the first time. The plots are identical, except all the vengeance is about high school stuff and this book is even more offensive about mental illness.

On the other hand, did you desperately want Christie's book to end with an entirely unearned happy ending and without the "here's how it all went down in clever detail" chapter? Even then, you don't want to read this book.

Also, and most o
Colette
Jun 07, 2015 Colette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going into this book, be warned...once you get past page 60, you won't be able to put it down! Both shivering with fear and my heart pumping loudly, my eyes never left the pages of Ten. YA horror fans must read this book!
Reynje

I’m not familiar with And Then There Were None, though I understand that it served as the basis for this contemporary story of teen murder during a weekend house party. Now I kind of wish I’d read the Agatha Christie first, and not completely spoiled myself with Ten, as I have it on good authority that the original is brilliant.

Which is my roundabout way of saying that this was not brilliant.

But not terrible either. Being unaware of the plot twists made me curious enough to read Ten q
Steven
Pretty much a ripoff of Agatha Christie, but the plot adaptation and storyline behind the murders was decent and it was entertaining to read.
Me, My Shelf and I
Mar 05, 2012 Me, My Shelf and I rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Once you open this book, you will be unable to set it done until you turn the last page! It was completely and totally, unputdownable!

Ten is a terrifying, bloody and suspense filled roller coaster ride, you'll get back in line for again and again!

YA definitely needs more Horror/Suspense novels, and Gretchen McNeil just set the standard by which all future books in the genre will be compared!

(Full review to come closer to release date! Watch www.MeMyShelfAndI.com for blog tour, interviews and gi
Lindsay Cummings
sooo good and creepy. I was completely taken off guard by who the killer was! Loved it!! Read it while I was home alone for an entire weekend. Big mistake, because I spent the entire night huddled by my shotgun while it stormed outside! I swore I was going to die, lol. Great book!! Quick, fast-paced read!
Amy Plum
Loved this awesome teen horror/thriller. Won't spoil, but the second to last death scene is so amazingly goretastic I had to read it thrice. One could even say...operatic! ;)
Gabrielle Carolina Nash
Sep 15, 2012 Gabrielle Carolina Nash rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harper
I could write a long, ranting review, but here's the skinny:

If you loved Gretchen McNiel's debut and love angsty teen stories, no matter how they take shape, or even if they take shape, then keep this one on your TBR and enjoy every melodramatic minute.

If you're a Gretchen newbie intrigued by Ten's premise and haven't read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None yet, push this one back on your must-have list and grab the original then decide.

If like me you're new to McNeil and wanted to try T
Jorge
Apr 04, 2014 Jorge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
AL FINAL DE LA RESEÑA HAY UN SPOILER Y DESVELO PARTE DEL FINAL. AVISADOS QUEDÁIS. LUEGO NO QUIERO QUEJAS.

Opinión rápida: no me ha gustado nada. Increíble, mal explicada, aburrida...

OPINIÓN ALGO MÁS LARGA

Se acabó. Por fin. Sin sorpresas ya que sigue fielmente la estructura de "Diez negritos" (más la película que la novela). Y sin credibilidad. Resolución poco creíble, personajes planos, nulo ritmo... Al menos se cargan a varios de estos cargantes personajes y algo se anima, pero tampoco como para
Kate
Jun 13, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My full review won't be up until a little closer to publication date, but this has got to be one of my favorite reads of the year! It reminded me a lot of old school YA, the horror/thriller stories of my own youth. The style is more Christoper Pike (and ya'll know I love Pike) than R.L. Stine, with teens actually behaving in a teen manner.

I was a bit afraid that this book would end up watered down and that only one or two people would die off screen, but nope, McNeil brings the horror! I was th
Kseniia
Мнимая единица. Мнимая единица – это моя оценка этой книге. Мнимая единица – это такое число, квадрат которого равен -1, если кто не знал.

Так вот. Я никогда, никому не буду рекомендовать эту книгу. Ни за что в жизни. Я не понимаю, как людям она могла понравиться. Хотя, нет, наверное, понимаю. Она понравится тем, кто МАЛО либо ВООБЩЕ не читал никаких книг в жанре детектив/триллер.

Единственное (!), что мне понравилось в этом произведении (если, конечно, «это» можно назвать произведением) – юмор. Е
Mith
I made the mistake of reading this late into the night and ended up sleeping with my door locked tight.

Ten is a retelling of Agatha Christie's famous 'And then there were none' with a YA spin on it (That should make you want to read this book, right there!).

If you haven't read Christie's version (and you really, REALLY should), ten random strangers end up on an island, each of them having been called there by a friend/acquaintance they haven't heard from, in a long time and find themselves myste
Veronica Morfi
Oct 13, 2012 Veronica Morfi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten teens travel to a secluded island to attend a private party. No one knows where they are and no one can imagine that soon after they arrive one by one they will start dying.

I can't figure out how to write a review for TEN without giving anything away, cause trust me you don't want any spoilers, the twists and turns are what make this book awesome. So, I will try to keep my review small and to the point.

As I already mentioned this book is awesome. We get to travel to a creepy island inside t
Rayne
Mini Review: Ten by Gretchen McNeil This book is exactly what my Halloween night tradition with my boyfriend, siblings and friends is all about. Horrible and painfully predictable slasher/mystery/horror movies full of cliches and stereotyped characters, with no structure or brains to the plot. It's stupid and silly; you know it, I know it, we all know it, but there's a part of us that still enjoy them regardless of how predictable and silly they are. That alone is why I gave it 2 stars, because ...more
Cyna
Oct 22, 2014 Cyna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I know which book is going to end up being the most forgettable thing I’ve read this season. It hasn’t even been three days and I’m already having to remind myself that this thing existed and that I read it.

Ten is a modern YA retelling of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None, which is a concept I dig. I love whodunnits, especially the kind that involve mysterious invitations to private murder parties. Sordid histories, cutthroat paranoia, deadly revenge, how could this possibly go wr
Jon
Find this review and so much more at Scott Reads It

Thank you to Balzer + Bray for providing me with an ARC!

What a book! I'm so glad that I read this horror/thriller because it was awesome. Ten is a fast paced thriller that I read in a couple of hours. There is never a dull moment in Ten and you're eyes will be glued to the page. I know that when I was reading I ignored everything else around me because I was so immersed in Ten.

Ten is the story of ten teens who are invited to an island for a p
Celine
Ten is a YA adaptation of Agatha Christie's classic And Then There Were None. In Gretchen McNeil's version, ten teens get invited to a party on Henry Island, where they get cut off from the outside world by a horrible storm. Then people start dying, and it seems like the killer won't stop until he gets to them all.

I'm afraid me and Ten got off on the wrong foot. It's written in third person perspective, following Meg. I absolutely hated Meg. She's been best friends with bipolar Minnie forever, a
Kelly
The first half of the book had many missteps, the biggest being a lot of unnecessary hand holding of the readers (and by extension the characters). We didn't need to know things were weird; just show us they're weird. That's what happens in a thriller -- and this is solidly a thriller and not a horror. There were also a few odd spots in the beginning that read more like first person than third person, which is the POV through which the story is told (and this is a narrative choice I commend McNe ...more
Sandra
Ten is about 10 teens that are invited to a party. It's not an original party, because it's a party on an island.
' SHHHHH! Don't spread the word! Three-day weekend. House party. White Rock House on Henry Island. You do NOT want to miss it'.
It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives, but soon, it turns into a game of Hide and Seek and a very good place for a killer to hunt his prey.

' And their doom comes swiftly'

Ten had me hooked from the very first page. I brought this book for Halloween
Sub_zero
Jul 03, 2014 Sub_zero rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5/5

Revisión del clásico 'Diez negritos' cuya autora bien podría habernos ahorrado el insufrible lastre de su existencia absolutamente insustancial. Una isla prácticamente desierta, una invitación a la fiesta más salvaje de la temporada y un grupo adolescente de hormonas vergonzosamente hiperdesarrolladas que van siendo despachados poco a poco ante la indiferente mirada del lector. No lo vamos a negar, la propuesta de Gretchen McNeil tiene cierto encanto noventero heredado de los slashers holly
Books that are similar 2 32 Jun 13, 2015 08:26PM
Who did you think the killer was? (Spoilers) 23 143 Dec 09, 2014 04:49PM
2013 Hub Reading ...: Ten 5 21 Jun 13, 2013 04:41AM
Crazy for Young A...: Ten by Gretchen McNeil → Start Date: May 9th, 2013 163 39 May 10, 2013 09:51PM
  • The Turning
  • 34 Pieces of You
  • Cold Fury (Cold Fury, #1)
  • Blind Spot
  • The Unquiet
  • Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)
  • The Little Woods
  • Survive
  • The Believing Game
  • Glimmer
  •  Beautiful Lies
  • Don't Turn Around (PERSEF0NE, #1)
Gretchen McNeil is the author of the standalone YA horror novels POSSESS, TEN (2013 YALSA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, a Romantic Times Top Pick, a Booklist Top Ten Horror Fiction for Youth, a finalist for Washington state’s 2015 Evergreen Young Adult Book Award and Vermont’s 2014-2015 Green Mountain Book Award, and was nominated for “Best Young Adult Contemporary Novel of ...more
More about Gretchen McNeil...