Start by marking “Your Nine-Year-Old: Thoughtful And Mysterious” as Want to Read:
Your Nine-Year-Old: Thoughtful And Mysterious

Your Nine-Year-Old: Thoughtful And Mysterious

What happened to that sunny outgoing child of eight?As parents of nine-year-olds often discover, nine is a tricky age.Children are more distant from Mother and Father; they're more independant and rely on friends for companionship, or they have a tendency to spend time alone.Some nines are boisterous and wild, others thoughtful and withdrawn.Helping parents learn how to co ...more
Paperback, alternate cover for book with ISBN 044050676X / ISBN13 9780440506768, 176 pages
Published April 1991 by Dell Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Your Nine-Year-Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Nine-Year-Old

Jun 06, 2010 Isabel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Kind of like reading an astrology book. You can find as much truth in it as you like. Definitely dated. Lots of gender based assumptions. Funny to read the description of a recipe for a successful birthday party. My, how we've grown... It's like a parenting magazine on steroids.

Still, there are some parts that relate to learning that are somewhat interesting. (Larry Summers would benefit from this book's conclusions about girls and math...) The concept that children must reach a certain stage o
Jul 11, 2011 jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A great cross-section of a nine year old. For being such a brief book it has a broad ranges of domains with surprisingly keen insights and observations of the normal, average 9 year old. It was a lot of fun to read while referencing to my own soon to be 9 year old; it normalized some idiosyncratic behaviors and had me smiling in recognition frequently. I will definitely be using the series further!
May 14, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all the books in this series and this was no exception. The books are a bit outdated and I don't always agree with what the author(s) say, but the fundamental nature of children remains the same and these books are very helpful in identifying what is normal/expected for a particular age. They are less about parenting advice and philosophy and more about teaching parents what to expect.
Mar 10, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I remember liking this series of books years ago as an education student but looking at them again as a parent I see they are so generalized and stereotypical that I have a hard time believing they can be of use to anyone in specific. I can find nothing in them that remotely describes my child and even if I could I don't think I'd follow this one-size fits all advice.
Lee Anne
I have read maybe three or four books in this series, and this was the least helpful. Maybe it's because nine is supposedly such a "thoughtful and mysterious" age, or because I read it immediately after my daughter turned nine and she really hasn't exhibited any of the behaviors listed here, but I found the explanation of a "typical" nine year-old to be vague and unsatisfactory. Telling me nines "either love math or hate it" isn't exactly enlightening. I was also disturbed by the final chapter, ...more
Jan 07, 2013 Hilary rated it really liked it
I read this as part of an observation project for a course in human development. Not being a parent myself, I was surprised at the amount of general truths that did apply to the little girl who was the subject of my report. It must be difficult to generalize about so many individual children, but some insights that were offered were really very helpful.

I found the generalizations made about children by body type a bit odd, but other than that this series of books is so spot on. My own mother wa
May 28, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of nine-year-old children
This is a short book that outlines the typical personality characteristics and quirks that defines the nine-year-old child. So far, in my limited experience, it's fairly spot on and it highlighted to me the cyclical nature of child development, where children drift in and out of inwardized behavior and outwardized behavior as well as shifts in disequilibrium and equilibrium.

While not all situations or behaviors will fit every child, it is still a good guide for what to expect. As it was first w
Jun 21, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, these books give me both perspective, relief, worry and laughter. Perspective in that it is helpful to sit back and think of your child in the broader picture of who they are becoming and what might be happening to them/in them along the way. Relief--in that I'm not alone in wondering, "What?" and "huh?" when my 9 year old does something perplexing. Worry in that so much is still unwritten about my 9 year old and he grows more and more independent. And Laughter, well, because, let's f ...more
Diane Zwang
Dec 30, 2015 Diane Zwang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Helpful in learning different stages of the age but some of the information is a bit dated.
Apr 15, 2014 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is out of date in many ways, in ways that are sad, not being able to give our nine-year olds as much freedom and independence as in the past due to safety concerns. Their awesome good summaries of expected behaviors as well as some good parenting tips. Wish I had read it sooner!
This book answered a couple questions I had about my 9 y.o.'s development, but copyright is 1987 and 1990 which made much of the book seem so dated as to not apply. Looking through the bibliography of the book most of the references were from the mid eighties. I like the idea of the whole series though which has a book assigned to each year of development and wish someone would update it for today's parent.
Nina R.
I'm not sure if I will read this book in it's entirety since it is a little out dated (1990), but a nine year old girl is a challenging age, especially for a younger parent such as myself! I hope to get promising and rewarding advice!
The advice was good, but a little outdated. I wonder if there is a more recent edition?
Apr 07, 2013 Grace rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the series at the suggestion of a friend. If I hadn't had so much respect for the friend, I would have quit after the first book.

So far, the books have not described my child or given me any insight or help. I might as well have read Tarot cards. Perhaps Tarot cards would have been more useful...
Feb 13, 2013 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Read this because it was recommended in Blessings of a Skinned Knee which I loved. It's definitely dated as other reviews have said but still is a great overview of what is normal age appropriate behavior. I wish I had known about this series earlier.
Mar 07, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series, very dated. Overall good sense stuff but the real life scenarios were ridiculous. Miss Manners managed to stay applicable and funny in the modern day, but this series didn't. Still good developmental stuff though.
Apr 20, 2011 Lavinia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I was astonished at how much this didn't sound like my nine-year-old. It also seemed dated - published 21 years ago, and I wouldn't think children have changed THAT much. Maybe mine's just odd.
Oct 17, 2014 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great series. I love the descriptions of behavior at each age. Unfortunately, this one is marred by some seriously questionable advice in the q and a at the end of the book.
Jan 05, 2013 Sabra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book that helps you understand that things your nine year old is going through is normal and not from your bad parenting. :) They have these for every age!
Jan 04, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though slightly outdated, I always go to these when I feel like a crazy person and struggle with parenting.
Shawna Hansen
Dec 28, 2012 Shawna Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book - lots of interesting insights into the mind of a 9 year old. Very helpful.
Aug 28, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really insightful and easy to read.
Susan Hargett
Susan Hargett marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Tali marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Diane Adams
Diane Adams marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Melissa Van
Melissa Van marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Shi Ning
Shi Ning marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Mbt rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
JOEL JOHNSONj rated it did not like it
Aug 01, 2016
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016