Start by marking “Your Nine-Year-Old: Thoughtful And Mysterious” as Want to Read:
Your Nine-Year-Old: Thoughtful And Mysterious

Your Nine-Year-Old: Thoughtful And Mysterious

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  18 reviews
What happened to that sunny outgoing child of eight?As parents of nine-year-olds often discover, nine is a tricky age.Children are more distant from Mother and Father; they're more independant and rely on friends for companionship, or they have a tendency to spend time alone.Some nines are boisterous and wild, others thoughtful and withdrawn.Helping parents learn how to co ...more
Paperback, alternate cover for book with ISBN 044050676X / ISBN13 9780440506768, 176 pages
Published April 1991 by Dell Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Your Nine-Year-Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Nine-Year-Old

Isabel
Kind of like reading an astrology book. You can find as much truth in it as you like. Definitely dated. Lots of gender based assumptions. Funny to read the description of a recipe for a successful birthday party. My, how we've grown... It's like a parenting magazine on steroids.

Still, there are some parts that relate to learning that are somewhat interesting. (Larry Summers would benefit from this book's conclusions about girls and math...) The concept that children must reach a certain stage o
jenna
A great cross-section of a nine year old. For being such a brief book it has a broad ranges of domains with surprisingly keen insights and observations of the normal, average 9 year old. It was a lot of fun to read while referencing to my own soon to be 9 year old; it normalized some idiosyncratic behaviors and had me smiling in recognition frequently. I will definitely be using the series further!
Angela
I love all the books in this series and this was no exception. The books are a bit outdated and I don't always agree with what the author(s) say, but the fundamental nature of children remains the same and these books are very helpful in identifying what is normal/expected for a particular age. They are less about parenting advice and philosophy and more about teaching parents what to expect.
Amy
I remember liking this series of books years ago as an education student but looking at them again as a parent I see they are so generalized and stereotypical that I have a hard time believing they can be of use to anyone in specific. I can find nothing in them that remotely describes my child and even if I could I don't think I'd follow this one-size fits all advice.
Lee Anne
I have read maybe three or four books in this series, and this was the least helpful. Maybe it's because nine is supposedly such a "thoughtful and mysterious" age, or because I read it immediately after my daughter turned nine and she really hasn't exhibited any of the behaviors listed here, but I found the explanation of a "typical" nine year-old to be vague and unsatisfactory. Telling me nines "either love math or hate it" isn't exactly enlightening. I was also disturbed by the final chapter, ...more
Hilary
I read this as part of an observation project for a course in human development. Not being a parent myself, I was surprised at the amount of general truths that did apply to the little girl who was the subject of my report. It must be difficult to generalize about so many individual children, but some insights that were offered were really very helpful.

I found the generalizations made about children by body type a bit odd, but other than that this series of books is so spot on. My own mother wa
Dolly
May 28, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of nine-year-old children
This is a short book that outlines the typical personality characteristics and quirks that defines the nine-year-old child. So far, in my limited experience, it's fairly spot on and it highlighted to me the cyclical nature of child development, where children drift in and out of inwardized behavior and outwardized behavior as well as shifts in disequilibrium and equilibrium.

While not all situations or behaviors will fit every child, it is still a good guide for what to expect. As it was first w
Trish
This book is out of date in many ways, in ways that are sad, not being able to give our nine-year olds as much freedom and independence as in the past due to safety concerns. Their awesome good summaries of expected behaviors as well as some good parenting tips. Wish I had read it sooner!
Juliana
This book answered a couple questions I had about my 9 y.o.'s development, but copyright is 1987 and 1990 which made much of the book seem so dated as to not apply. Looking through the bibliography of the book most of the references were from the mid eighties. I like the idea of the whole series though which has a book assigned to each year of development and wish someone would update it for today's parent.
Nina R.
I'm not sure if I will read this book in it's entirety since it is a little out dated (1990), but a nine year old girl is a challenging age, especially for a younger parent such as myself! I hope to get promising and rewarding advice!
The advice was good, but a little outdated. I wonder if there is a more recent edition?
Grace
I read the series at the suggestion of a friend. If I hadn't had so much respect for the friend, I would have quit after the first book.

So far, the books have not described my child or given me any insight or help. I might as well have read Tarot cards. Perhaps Tarot cards would have been more useful...
Betsy
Read this because it was recommended in Blessings of a Skinned Knee which I loved. It's definitely dated as other reviews have said but still is a great overview of what is normal age appropriate behavior. I wish I had known about this series earlier.
Jen
Great series, very dated. Overall good sense stuff but the real life scenarios were ridiculous. Miss Manners managed to stay applicable and funny in the modern day, but this series didn't. Still good developmental stuff though.
Lavinia
I was astonished at how much this didn't sound like my nine-year-old. It also seemed dated - published 21 years ago, and I wouldn't think children have changed THAT much. Maybe mine's just odd.
Pam
This is a great series. I love the descriptions of behavior at each age. Unfortunately, this one is marred by some seriously questionable advice in the q and a at the end of the book.
Sabra
This is a great book that helps you understand that things your nine year old is going through is normal and not from your bad parenting. :) They have these for every age!
Shawna Hansen
Great book - lots of interesting insights into the mind of a 9 year old. Very helpful.
Amy
Really insightful and easy to read.
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Amy Yazdani
Amy Yazdani marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Lisa Gonzalez
Lisa Gonzalez is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Terri
Terri is currently reading it
May 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Your Three-Year-Old: Friend or Enemy Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender Your Four-Year-Old: Wild and Wonderful Your Seven-Year-Old: Life in a Minor Key Your Ten to Fourteen Year Old