Start by marking “Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Blackout” as Want to Read:
Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Blackout

Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Blackout (Ex Machina #6)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,408 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Fantascienza, avventura, dramma, ironia, politica e thriller nella più recente fatica di Brian K. Vaughan (Y L’ULTIMO UOMO, L’ORGOGLIO DI BAGHDAD e sceneggiatore di LOST) e Tony Harris (STARMAN).
Il sindaco di New York Mitchell Hundred dovrà affrontare la sua sfida più dura: un black out generale che lascerà la Grande Mela completamente al buio! Qual è il preoccupante legam
Published 2008 by Magic Press (first published November 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ex Machina, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ex Machina, Vol. 6

Licha
Vol. 6 of 10

This volume includes an interesting introduction at the end of the book by Vaughan explaining the process of what goes into making a graphic novel. I was a little surprised to find out that most people find graphic novels disjointed because of all the hands that go into the pot in order to expedite issues for monthly production. If anything, all the series/graphic novels I have read seem to NEED that collaboration between writer and artist to translate their vision onto paper and I f
Jimmy Williams
Grown man topics is something you gotta deal with, No matter how many super powers you love it ain’t gonna equal up to this real shit....

Let me just start by saying this is the best “Graphic Novel” I have ever read. I wouldn’t even call this a comic. I know that there is a difference between a comic and a graphic novel but I’ve also seen the terms use interchangeably but this piece of work is too great to be called anything else. I read “Y The Last Man” so I was a fan of Brian K Vaughn (Although
Adam Smith
Pretty intriguing, but this new volume still doesn't stand up to some of the earlier ones. With the introduction of a new character from a alternate timeline, things are starting to get MUCH more interesting. However, there are still more questions than answers and I'm hoping these get answered shortly.
Martin
"Power Down"

I liked this one for many reasons: (1) Mitchell (albeit briefly) loses his special abilities, (2) the visit of the alternate-Earth Zeller deepens the mystery as to Mitchell's destiny and leaves more questions than it answers (if any), and (3) we get some flashbacks of the Great Machine in action, be it in a fight simulation or grounding the second airplane on September 11, 2001.

This is where you start wondering just what Vaughan has in mind for Mitchell and the series as a whole, whe
Hank
Brian K Vaughn is a new fav. I love this series because it is so balanced. There's not too much of Hundred using his powers, not too many outlandishly grotesque or awkward moments (although they are there to season the stew), and not too much history or backstory fighting for attention. There's just enough of everything, and by everything I mean the things that don't make it into most graphic novel stories, things that make it worth being a graphic novel as opposed to just prose. Very expressive ...more
Stephen Theaker
I came to this book having just read volume 3 and volume 2, in that order. In this one the mayor has to get to the bottom of a blackout, and we see more of what he did on September 11 (and people think they stretch out the backstory in Lost!). I enjoyed this just as much as the previous books, but damn that sketchbook at the back for tricking me into thinking I still had lots of comics to go.

Credit to Tony Harris, though, he deserves the space. His work on Starman was often spectacular, and thou
Dann
Brian K. Vaughan, need I explain more? Ex Machina is written by a talented writer and sketched by an equally talented artist. The story is wonderful, albeit at times a slog; the characters are also rich, and complicated beings. The arcs feel a little contrived, and felt forced to move the plot along, but overall Ex Machina was still a lovely, lovely read.
Punk
Graphic Novel. When I asked for more about the consequences and origins of Hundred's powers, this isn't what I meant. A blackout? A universe-hopping New Zealander wearing a diving helmet? The weaknesses in this series are really starting to show. Vaughan routinely serves us fully formed conflict with no build-up or teeth, which makes the climax boring because we have nothing invested in the outcome, followed by an unsatisfying resolution, and then everything goes back to the way it was. It's lik ...more
Cat
Volume 6 of Ex Machina is notable mostly because it features more about how Mitchell Hundred feels about his powers. It also sets up a deeper mystery to be unraveled in the last four volumes. Now that the political intrigue and shallower histories of Hundred's gift have been established, "Power Down" can focus on the greater plot. It's something that makes this volume one of the less immediately dynamic and interesting reads of the series, but it's still necessary. The set-up, with a visitor pos ...more
Hillary
I guess I'm not going to go over what makes each book of _Ex Machina_ different, partially because it's hard to remember unless you do so as you read each one. But it is smart and beautifully drawn, and vol. 6 contains a little insight at the end on the latter aspect, with not only the usual pages of script to pencils to inks to colors and occasional photos used for reference, but a bit more from Tony Harris. I guess I could see people thinking his panels (and, even more so, his covers) are a li ...more
Timo
What happened?
There are very cool action bits from the past of Great Machine and hints for things to come, but still, this collection was not as exciting as the previous ones.
The art is still brilliant and everything seem to be in order, but..... what happened?
Robert Beveridge
Brian K. Vaughan, Ex Machina: Power Down (Wildstorm, 2008)

Pretty much everyone who lives within three hundred miles of New York City is unlikely to forget the Great Blackout of 2003. Given that Sept. 11 is integral to everything that happens in Ex Machina, did you think the blackout was going to get away unscathed? Not a chance. Vaughan uses it to introduce a whole new storyline into Ex Machina, finally giving us the possibility of finally understanding what originally happened to Hundred. Or ar
Paul Young
Still a 3-star rating, but this is a disappointing collection compared to any of the previous 5. Part of the short-fall is material about the creative process in place of another issue reprint. On to volume 7...
Federiken Masters
Dec 27, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Los mismos.
Recommended to Federiken by: Lo mismo
Mñah... Creo que, por descarte, es el tomo de la serie que menos me gustó hasta ahora. Está buena la idea de llevar el mundo de Ex Machina a uno donde uno pueda creer que existen las tierras paralelas, la tecnología futurista bolacera (más bolacera aun que los poderes de Hundred) y todos los chiches. Pero la historia en sí no me recontra enganchó, y al "misterioso visitante" lo quería ver muerto a mitad del tomo. Espero reencontrarme con la serie pronto, porque esta saga no me dejó muy buen sabo ...more
Frank
Big developments here as we finally get (somewhat) a lead on where Hundred's powers come from. Looks like the scale of the story is going to expand significantly.
Nadine Jones
Another great volume in the Ex Machina series. Finally, Mitchell's mom shows up again! We learn a little bit more about Mitchell's bodyguard, Bradbury. And a mysterious guy appears (from the future? from the past? from an alternate dimension??), which mysteriously causes a complete north east power outage. What is the connection between Mystery Guy and Mitchell's powers? It is hinted at, but we don't learn much, and it's never 100% clear if Mystery Guy can be trusted.
Reenie
In the sixth tpb installment of Ex Machina, we're finally getting to some hints about the nature/origin of Mayor Hundred's abilities, as the power goes out across New York City (and, for some reason, parts of Canada). And while it would be rather unbalanced to not find out about the superhero half of the 'superhero mayor' set-up, I still found myself underwhelmed this time, and missing the mundane details of weird situations the Mayor of NYC finds himself in... I guess because superhero backstor ...more
Marlon Philgence
Huh. Need to read more of these. Mostly for that art. Need to get on Starman too.
J.
Finally getting some hints at what's really going on. Another strong volume.
Michael Bacon
Better than Vaughan's better known later works (Y The Last Man and Saga.)
Jake
WHY WON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT'S HAPPENIIIIIIIIIIIING, EX MACHINA? You just hinted at it so hard and then bailed.
Michael Wilson
When I picked this up, I didn't realize that this was Volume 6 in the series, so maybe this impacts this review and there may be essential story lines brewing from previous issues that I might be missing. But this book seemed not to really gel at all. The mystery visitor in the armor who demands a meeting with Hundred during a city-wide blackout while Hundred seems to have lost his powers. It also was very, very short. I'll have to read the other Volumes 2 through 5 in the series and I may revis ...more
Bevans
1. The world of Ex Machina is very similar to the real world, with a few unique exceptions.

2. This book ends with the hero landing a plane safely on a New York street.

3. That plane is the second that hit the World Trade Center towers on 9/11/01.

4. As a result, he manages to save one of the towers, but always feels guilty that he couldn't save the first.

5. Today is the 10-year anniversary of the attack.

6. It'd be nice if we had our own Great Machine to save the day every now and then.
Donald
Vaughan teases us with a capital T here. We learn just a tiny bit more about the source of Hundred’s powers as a visitor from a parallel world appears. He hints at a lot of things, but disappears before we learn much of substance.

I will be interested to see how this develops since going down this path would be verging more into “standard” superhero territory, instead of the present day being focused more on “real world” stuff and the fantastic stuff being left to the flashbacks.
Dani
This was pretty good and a fast read. Been trying to find this volume for a while and lucked out at a local used book store. (Thanks Chop Suey!)

Anyway, I like how the sudden introduction of a character that has the answers we all have been wanting to know only hints at the truth. I would say it's Vaughan trolling but if he is he does it well. And with 4 books left, I have a feeling it's going to be a great resolution at the end.

Looking forward to the next volume.
M
The apperance of an oddly-dressed man coincides with a massive power outage that affects the East coast and Canada, setting the stage for volume six. The arrival of the mysterious Zeller only serves to bog down the great run of Brian K. Vaughn's Great Machine. Though the premise of Hundred losing his extranormal abilities is a good one, the fact that it requires the appearance of the dimensionally-displaced Zeller hurts what had been a very realistically-grounded series.
Zach Danielson
The plot thickens. (Can I get away with saying that?)

This is a short volume, and it feels like a teaser for what's coming next, but it's volume 6 of 10--time to start building some momentum toward the finish. Vaughan's Y: The Last Man series suffered from a weak third quarter, so I hope he can avoid that problem this time around.
Steve
A mysterious man from an alternate universe comes to deliver a warning to Mayor Hundred, causing a citywide blackout that takes the Great Machine powers with it. Combine that with more information on the events of this stories alternate 9/11 made this volume more interesting than the last one. Still a superhero comic for grown ups where the main villains are those that a mayor would face every day with a little of the fantastic thrown in.
Isaac
Holy F&%#, excellent book by Vaughan and crew, firing on all their engines they bring a fine story arc into an already solid concept. A strange bearded guy crawls out of...(the ocean, the air,..?)in a techno-retro diving suit. By having us as the readers guess as the other characters are guessing about the origin and motivation of this confusing and fractured man, they draw us in. Amazing.
  • Invincible, Vol. 9: Out of This World
  • Powers, Vol. 9: Psychotic
  • Astro City, Vol. 3: Family Album
  • Planetary, Vol. 3: Leaving the 20th Century
  • Top 10: The Forty-Niners
  • DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 5: The Counterfifth Detective
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

Ex Machina (10 books)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days (Ex Machina, #1)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 2: Tag (Ex Machina, #2)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 3: Fact v. Fiction  (Ex Machina, #3)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 4: March to War (Ex Machina, #4)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 5: Smoke, Smoke (Ex Machina, #5)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 7: Ex Cathedra (Ex Machina, #7)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 8: Dirty Tricks (Ex Machina, #8)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 9: Ring Out the Old (Ex Machina, #9)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 10: Term Limits (Ex Machina, #10)
Unmanned (Y: The Last Man #1) Saga, Volume 1 Saga, Volume 2 Saga #1 Saga, Volume 3