Princeless Book One: Save Yourself

Princeless Book One: Save Yourself (Princeless #1)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Princeless is the story of Princess Adrienne, one princess who's tired of waiting to be rescued. Join Adrienne, her guardian dragon, Sparky, and their plucky friend Bedelia as they begin their own quest in this one of a kind, action packed, all-ages adventure!

Graphic Novel. Collects issues 1-4 of Princeless.
Published May 23rd 2012 by Action Lab

Wendy Browne
I read this with my girls (7 & 4) and they called it "the best comic book ever." They absolutely adored it and are reading it again themselves. I loved the way it presented all the themes and problems with princess stories and comics books - and in a way that we could easily discuss. Book 2 on order!
Tiara
Princeless follows the quest of Princess Adrienne to free herself and her sisters from their fate of waiting for a prince to save them from their towers. From the beginning Adrienne has rebelled against the idea of princesses being passively saved by princes, asking her mother, "Who has the kind of grudge against this beautiful princess that they would lock her in a tower?"

Adrienne decides, after finding a sword after another failed rescue attempt by a prince (one who didn't even know the defini...more
Jessica
Oh man! What a fun adventure! Princeless was a refreshing read as she could be a cousin of Cimorene from Patricia Wrede's Dealing with Dragons. The girls are similar in their banter when the princes approach to rescue them. This book's main theme discusses all the familiar tropes that are presented in fairy-tale retelling: the laughable highlight being fighting in women's armor. Don't get me wrong---I love a good sexed up version of "HOW CAN THEY WEAR THAT AND KILL ALL THE THINGS?!" It's nice to...more
Sarah Wright
This is one princess book that I want to give out to everyone I know. Adrienne is locked in a tower guarded by a dragon when she turns 16. She has been protesting this her whole life and makes fun of the princes who attempt her rescue. Making friends with her dragon, she decides to be her own hero and sets off on a quest to take on the world and gender stereotypes (no, she doesn't say that specifically, this is editorial commentary). She is sassy, commenting on the skimpy costumes of other women...more
Shazza Maddog
I heard about this graphic novel from a friend, and it sounded like something I'd want to read. I had to request it from interlibrary loan, but I'm going to recommend my library purchase it (and the sequel!) for their readers.

Adrienne is a princess in an unnamed kingdom, and a little different from your average fairy tale princess - she's dark-skinned and has nappy hair. She's the eldest of many siblings, all but one girls. And she doesn't want to be trapped in a tower, waiting for a prince who...more
Emelda
So. Good. A princess who saves herself, goes to save her sisters, has a great relationship with her brother, has both parents living (seriously, losing one or both of your parents when you are young is not the only way to become strong, unlike what every other freaking scifi/fantasy/comic would have you believe), has a sidekick who is a female blacksmith, openly mocks "sexy" lady-hero costumes, AND IS OF COLOR?!?! Fuck. Yes.

I can not wait for the next editions to come out!
Nathan Herald
book 152 of 1000

Princess Adrienne doesn't want to be like other princesses. She specifically told her mother that she didn't want to be locked up in some tower, guarded by a dragon, waiting for a prince to come along and save her. All she wanted was to be able to do her own thing, with her siblings, but her father refused to listen. Now, having spent some time in her aforementioned tower, her dragon getting full from eating princes, Adrienne has decided that she's going to rescue herself. With...more
Wandering Librarians
Like her older sisters, when she turns 16 Adrienne is placed in a tower guarded by a dragon and forced to wait to be rescued by a prince. But when Adrienne discovers a sword hidden under her bed, she decides to change her own story. Teaming up with her guardian dragon, Sparky, Adrienne escapes from her tower and sets off to free her sisters.

This was awesome. In all different ways. First of all, people of color! Yay! A whole family of Black princesses! Bedelia, who befriends Adrienne and joins he...more
Michael
This series was highly touted in the corners of the Internet that I inhabit. It was said to be this fantastic series that is great for adults and children of both genders alike. I enjoy easily accessible graphic novels, mostly because I can lend them out to friends who don't normally read them or my kids.

This is definitely a story I could lend out, but I wish it were a bit more polished in it's presentation. There are a few awkward moments where the story moves too quickly. Some of the character...more
Raina
It's super awesome that a comic exists which is specifically trying to combat stereotypes about race and gender. I feel like I should own a copy just because it's so historical in the way that it goes about these issues (which is actually ultimately pretty sad).

It's even more awesome that it's printed in full color, illustrated engagingly and with skill, and is seriously fun to read!

Adrienne is sick of being stuck in her tower, and she doesn't understand why she's there in the first place. So sh...more
Kellee
I am so glad that my friend Maria shared this title with me. Adrienne of Princeless is so kick butt (and definitely is right up there with all of the girls on the Girl Power Middle Grade list from the Nerdy Book Club). She is an atypical princess who not only doesn't want to be prime and proper and she definitely doesn't want to be swept off of her feet by Prince Charming. She wants to be in control of her own life, but that is hard when your parents have locked you in a tower guarded by a drago...more
Sidsel Pedersen
This is one of the funniest comics I have read in a long time. It is definitely all ages. I would love to read it to some of the children my friends have. It is also feminism done right! It is never preachy but is just so funny and makes fun of the silly assumptions classic fairytales make. I know that is nothing new but this is one of the best examples I have seen of it! Now Who should I buy this for, where do I get the trade?!
Rachel
A modern day fairytale for the modern day girl. Princess Adrienne is not your typical princess; she points out all the inconsistencies in the princess fairy tales, ends up in the same situation and yet, decides to go her own way. She is a take charge, decisive, and strong character, and makes an excellent role model for girls. Stereotypes continue to be broken by her companions, Sparky, the dragon who guarded her tower, is helpful, kind and even shares her gold, and Bedelia, a spunky female blac...more
Lindsay
Mar 11, 2014 Lindsay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lindsay by: Karen
This needs to be a movie. It reminded me some of Zita the Spacegirl with characters that managed to be even more loveable. I've got the second one on request and am ordering these for my library's collection straight away.
Mew
Bought this comic about 8 months ago from amazon, only to be notified that it is *still* out of stock. Frustrated, I cursed the heaven and stars before reading the digital copy -- all in one sitting! The art had really sucked me in, the characters were whimsical and likeable in their disconcern for stereotypes, gender norms and throwing about sarcasm without a care in the world. Just how I like them! Amusing read, would read again to study his illustrations. :D
Naomi Schmidt
Another princess who kicks some major ass. Always fun. Lots of humor, a bit of swordplay, and one sad, sad Prince Would-Be-Charming. I do have to say, the protagonist takes to swordfighting and wearing armor a bit more easily than is believable (the armor, especially, would be super-duper heavy), but I'll forgive it because I guess she's just awesome like that. I look forward to getting my hands on number 2.
Josie
Loved it! Princess gets locked in a tower and decides to save herself (instead of waiting for the prince) by befriending her dragon and heading out into the wide world. Oh, and getting armor on the way (ha!).

Minus one star 'cause the gutter annoyed the heck out of me. I wish the book had physically been put together better.

Anxiously awaiting the next one!
CLA_MA
Brian
The actual content of the comic is great, but the physical book the first trade is printed on is pretty terrible. Low quality images, pages glued together, and they didn't put big enough gutters so a lot of the content just disappears into the binding. Track down the original issues or buy them on Comixology if you want to read it.
Leah Webber
This is the perfect book for women who love comics but are sick of the shining armored princes and the useless women. If you ever wanted that "Self-Rescuing Princess" t-shirt, consider reading this. I'm only sad that I can't have more right away! Fun visuals, zingy writing, much poking fun at gender stereotypes.
Stefan Fergus
Lots of fun, and well-told. Perfect for today, and a story that should have been told for years. Must-read. (If slightly short. And *maybe* the gags were a wee bit too plentiful.)
Jay
Thought that this was a really great kid's book. It is quite funny and has fun action scenes as well. Felt like it was a bit slow for me in beginning but when Adrienne gets "dropped off," it gets really good. The good thing about that is it is only the beginning of a great adventure!
Yasi
One of the best feminist comics I have read! It is refreshing to see a colored female protagonist who is brave enough to face the demons of stereotypes in a patriarchal society. I also love the dead-pan humor underlying the entire work of art. Can't wait to read book two!
Oh my god, this is amazing. I'd heard nothing but good things about Princeless, but its even better than I expected. A self-assured black teen girl armoring up to fight against her evil facist father and free her imprisoned sisters? It is amazing. A must read!!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I love the strong female heroine in this story and that she is also a character of color. We have so few if any stories out there like this that for that reason alone I love this. Add to it a great storyline, snappy humor, and just a plain fun read and I'm hooked.

Derek Royal
A good, solid all-age book that is intelligently written. The positive gender messages here are what make this title so successful. And one of the best parts of this collection, and the most insightful, is the discussion over female warrior costumes.
Tim Canny
A simple idea handled very well. While maintaining its message about strong female characters in stories this book keeps a sense of humor about itself and the fairy tale/fantasy genre. This is a surprisingly refreshing book.
Bri
What a delightful take on a fairy tale! It's heavy handed in pointing out the sexism in traditional fairy tales, but that's all part of the fun. Cheeky and sassy and a real delight to read. Can't wait for the sequel!
Ashley Newton
This is a precious, priceless book for women of any age but I was especially delighted to have a book like this to buy for my young, female cousins. This should be the new standard for what we teach young girls.
Amanda
I was told to read this by a friend. I was skeptical at first but I ended up really enjoying it! It was great to read a book about a Princess saving herself!
  • Cow Boy A Boy and His Horse
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Will & Whit
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010
  • Giants Beware!
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • Teen Boat!
  • Monster on the Hill
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • Unterzakhn
  • Brain Camp
  • Explorer: The Lost Islands
  • Leave It To Chance Vol. 1: Shaman's Rain
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Little Fish: A Memoir from a Different Kind of Year
  • Over The Wall
Jeremy Whitley is the son of two teachers and the husband of a third.

Born in La Mesa, CA, Jeremy went to high school in Lenoir, NC and college at The University of North Carolina. He graduated with a Bachelors in English, a minor in Creative Writing, and a girlfriend who would soon become a wife.

He and his wife Alicia live in Raleigh with their elemental daughter, Zuri. Jeremy writes part-time an...more
More about Jeremy Whitley...
Princeless Princeless Book Two: Get Over Yourself My Little Pony Friends Forever #2 Princeless: Tales of the Family Ashe Princeless: Short Stories for Warrior Women, part 2