Start by marking “Captain Saturday” as Want to Read:
Captain Saturday

Captain Saturday

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Will Baggett, TV weatherman, is probably the biggest celebrity in Raleigh, North Carolina, and he sure does like that "Yo, Will, what's the weather?" people call out, echoing his station's promotion campaign. With a nice house, a son in medical school, and a wife who's become one of the top brokers stoking the heedless real estate rush in north Raleigh, Will has the perfec ...more
Published January 3rd 2003 by Back Bay Books (first published January 8th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Saturday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Saturday

Frederick Bingham
The story of Will Baggett. In the beginning of the book he starts out as Raleigh's most popular TV weatherman. He makes good money, has fame and fortune and a lovely wife. Then, in the space of a few days, his TV station is sold, his wife files for divorce and he is charged with possession for a bag of marijuana that his son left around the house.The story retreats to flashbacks. From his childhood, where his parents are killed in a plane crash, leaving him in the care of his cousin. From his yo ...more
Dennis
Poignant. Here is a guy who seemed to have everything and nearly in the blink of an eye he loses his job, wife and son and returns to his roots along the Cape Fear to wrestle with his life. It goes downhill from there. Slowly he begins to put the pieces back together, but .... Read the book. Captivating.
Amy
This book is best defined as an epic-comic midlife crisis book. It's amazing the run of bad luck that befalls the "hero", Will. it's amazingly funny. But it's not a funny book, it's tragic! but funny. ;) In the end, Will is transformed (so this is kind of like a "coming of age" book, just that the protagonist is of a midlife crisis age).
It has depth and substance, and yet it doesn't wallow in angst or sorrow. This is a book that I shared with many friends, telling them they have to read it!! it
Jerry Landry
Kellie
This was a well written, funny, witty book about Will the Weatherman. Will is the TV weatherman for a popular TV station in Raleigh. When he loses his job and gets arrested for running a red light, his whole life changes. He takes stock of his life and decides to go about making changes. He doesn’t realize the real mess he is in regarding his personal life, until it’s almost too late. I loved the transformation the author takes this character through. This is a heart warming story with many less ...more
Almira
May 21, 2008 Almira rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who needs a laugh or two
He was Raleigh's favorite TV weatherman, he had a beautiful wife, a son in medical school - life was good, UNTIL a heartless conglomerate purchases the TV station and releases him from his job.
Will goes on a rampage, is arrested, is locked out of his house, and then he finds out that his medical school son isn't too "crazy" about him.
Enter Wingfoot Baggett, Will's long-lost cousin, who is out to rescue Will from all his problems, although Will is not too certain that he wants to be rescued by hi
Judi
"Everybody has two lives, whether they know it or not. The one you have and the one you might have. It's what you would be if you weren't who you are." - Cousin Wingfoot Baggett

Captain Saturday is the perfect novel to read for the start of a new year. The journey that Will Baggett takes to discover his other self is not only humorous, it is absolutely uplifting with a set of characters that won't soon be forgotten....

read my full review here:
Michael Sadoff
Inman does a great job humanizing what is arguably one of the most two-dimensional TV personality types - the local weather forecaster. The story feels very authentic, particularly when it comes to the inner world of its protagonist, and it convincingly portrays the cadence, mindset and colloquialisms of small-town, eastern North Carolina.
This is definitely a beach read but it's set in North Carolina so I enjoyed the mindlessness of it. A bit contrived but definitely made me stop and think about slowing down in life and appreciating the smaller things.
Mary Baker
I just like whatever Robert Inman writes. Captain Sunday was a story of loss and redemption. I didn't like it as much as Home Fires Burning or Old Dogs and Children, but it was a good read.
Rochelle
So, I'd really give this book two and a half stars. It kept me interested while I was reading, but not great literature and pretty obvious. But, I got it for free at the Wordstock event.
Suzanne
I picked this book up just to try a new (to me) and different author. I was so pleasantly surprised to enjoy this so much. Must be my southern author preference.
Stephen
I'm about halfway through and it's an interesting story with lots of North Carolina flavor.
Geni
Another tale from Robert Inman that was pleasant to read. Southern lit.
Debbie Maskus
Read for Evening Edition Book Club 11/2007
Elizabeth W
I thought would be silly, but really is good.
F H
Good analogy on mid-life crisis
Cara
Nov 13, 2007 Cara marked it as to-read
J. Pulcino recommendation
Nicole Sazama walsh
Nicole Sazama walsh marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Lisa C
Lisa C marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
  • The Agenda: Inside the Clinton White House
  • Family Linen
  • Fate and Ms. Fortune
  • The Silence in the Garden
  • Thomas Jefferson (The American Presidents, #3)
  • The Year the Lights Came on
Robert Inman’s new novel, The Governor’s Lady, is available now from John F. Blair Publishers. Drawing on his a career as a journalist and creative writer, Inman has crafted the story of Cooper Lanier, a determined woman fighting to establish her independence in the tumultuous world of male-dominated politics.

The Governor’s Lady is Inman’s fifth novel, following Home Fires Burning (1987), Old Dogs
More about Robert Inman...
Dairy Queen Days Old Dogs and Children The Governor's Lady Home Fires Burning: A Novel Coming Home: Life, Love, and All Things Southern