Start by marking “Craving” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 87 pages
Published 2005 by Visual Print Enterprises

Armando Dela Cruz
David Hontiveros is the author of "Penumbra," a trilogy of dark fantasy/horror novellas which includes "Craving," "Takod" and "Parman."

In "Craving," an expectant couple travels to live to a remote provincial town, trusting their doctor who advised for the trip.

A wordsmith wielding the most ecstatic of words, Hontiveros crafts a disarmingly eerie tale with fidgeting, edge-of-your seat suspense and a pace that shoots like thunder. I first met him in the annual Philippine comic convention last Oct
Jen
Dec 22, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
"Craving" was never on my "must-buy" book list simply because I had never heard of David Hontiveros or any of his work before. I know: I should seriously make a greater effort to learn more about the younger crop of Filipino writers out there. Thankfully, I was able to come across the book in ebay, while I was browsing for other stuff I could bundle with a book that was on my list. For Php50, I went ahead and bought "Craving".

I've always been a fan of paranormal/supernatural books (I Stephen Ki
D
Oct 15, 2014 D rated it it was ok
Shelves: filipiniana, horror
It wasn't bad. I just didn't really want to spend so much money on a novella. If the Penumbra novels had all been published in an omnibus, I'd probably think it's better worth for my money?

The author certainly knows how to set the atmosphere, though. Descriptions were beautiful--horrific sometimes, like the details about the oil on the Doctora's hands or the crying Anne heard from the very start. Those small details were what made the thing for me. Sometimes, something is more horrific when you
suzi
Mar 24, 2015 suzi rated it it was amazing
This is the first novella I've read from this author and I love it. I've always been partial to stories with mythological creatures especially those from my country. The story was a mix of Malaysian and Philippine folklore. I loved how the prologue and the epilogue , somewhat, mirrored each other. And I love the subtle hair raising effect of the prose. This is the kind of story I wish the writers of Shake Rattle and Roll1 were able to produce. Simple, complete, and with a Pinoy twist.

Side Note:
Khay
Nov 19, 2014 Khay added it
OK
Ivy Catherine
Jun 22, 2013 Ivy Catherine rated it it was amazing
VERY LOVECRAFTIAN!!! I love it! I thought somebody is going to be eaten... but no... this one is different. This is something similar to H.P. Lovecraft's work.
Amabelle (bico_belle)
Jan 16, 2016 Amabelle (bico_belle) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
i like it! it was indeed errie and well-paced, the story was something new, different from Filipino horror stories i knew while growing up.
Jayson Troy
Oct 03, 2013 Jayson Troy rated it it was ok
Spooky.
Regine
Regine added it
Jan 18, 2016
Erica Lois
Erica Lois rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Eunice
Eunice marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Exodus Mariano
Exodus Mariano rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Jhoy
Jhoy marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Erin Josh
Erin Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Alan James
Alan James rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Tricia Estoquia
Tricia Estoquia marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Tj Ten
Tj Ten marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Maria Clarisse
Maria Clarisse rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Denzel Sarmiento
Denzel Sarmiento rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Denzel
Denzel rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Julia Audrey
Julia Audrey marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Wengsalazar
Wengsalazar marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Regina.gozon05
Regina.gozon05 marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Jerson
Jerson rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Kaye
Kaye rated it it was ok
May 08, 2014

Penumbra Novellas (3 books)
  • Parman