Start by marking “Uncorked: My Journey Through the Crazy World of Wine” as Want to Read:
Uncorked: My Journey Through the Crazy World of Wine

Uncorked: My Journey Through the Crazy World of Wine

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Marco Pasanella's behind-the-scenes memoir through the world of wine will captivate wine lovers with its story of one man who decided, at age 43, to change his life by opening a wine shop.

As Kitchen Confidential and Waiter Rant explored the front and back of the house at restaurants, Uncorked offers a peek behind the curtain of the wine world.

Pasanella takes the reader in
Published May 22nd 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Uncorked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncorked

Egh
Jun 05, 2016 Egh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, food
Oh man, this book is HORRIBLE. It pains me to have to give bad reviews when I feel the author is trying but failing. Which is why it's so pleasurable to feel no guilt about saying this is a badly written, whiny pile of garbage.

Reasons to read this book:

You love boring name-dropping. There's about 500 names per page, of random and semi famous people. Don't worry, you learn nearly nothing about any of these people, except that the author has met them. The only people you'll learn anything about ar
Richard Sutton
May 24, 2012 Richard Sutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It should be a Must Read for foodies/wine drinkers that also run small family businesses. It's a lot of fun and there are some really great recipes included!
Brian
Mar 22, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely fun read, Uncorked is the story of a man who decides to open a wine shop, discovering the passion, frustration, trials, and tribulations of owning a wine shop. At the same time, realizing something that is deeply satisfying and rewarding.

As a wine drinker, it is interesting to read a story like this. While not particularly deep or complicated, envisioning someone opening a wine shop and going through all the various processes of establishing a business, at the same time being passio
Adrienne
Jun 15, 2012 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Marco Pasanella’s book, Uncorked, is a fast paced education into the world of wine. From the first chapter, the reader is able to step into his world of frantic stress, anticipation and excitement he describes as he began transforming a former fish-market into his vision of a local wine store and ultimately experience. He describes in detail the risks he and his family took financially as well as in their lifelong dreams while vividly telling of the various “characters” that came to work with th ...more
Andrew Malkin
While I wouldn't necessarily say this revealed the wine world as "crazy", it did make me want to visit the store to meet the knowledgeable staff, buy some wine, see the Fiat on the floor and check out the enoteca. I give him credit for boldly taking on this building to renovate, live in and produce a wine shop in lower Manhattan with a creative, design sensibility. The book was a quick, short read more about taking on the risk of opening a small business in a new industry and the challenges ther ...more
Darren
May 31, 2012 Darren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world of wine is often clouded by an air of mystique, a feeling of exclusivity and the presence of many virtual question marks due to the plain uncertainty of it all. The average wine consumer might know that they like a certain white or red wine, maybe vaguely know the theory of it all but still it can be a closed little world.

Here Marco Pasanella will give you a helping hand and a better introduction to the world of wine through his "mid life" story. After all, he has probably had to learn
Alisa
Aug 06, 2016 Alisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, nonfiction
I enjoyed this one. Yes, it has a factual error or two (fermentation does not stop at 15% alcohol - that would be news to some California producers) and some distractingly stream of consciousness organization, especially in the first few chapters. But it gave me insight into the wine business, especially wine retailing. And I enjoyed the author's breezy tone.
Doreen
Jan 09, 2014 Doreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crown-winnings
Quite enjoyed this unpretentious account of Marco Pasanella's foray into selling wine, beginning as a retailer before expanding into having his own label. The tone is occasionally harried, but that's understandable given how the entire enterprise often seemed to have much in common with the business of juggling plates. Fortunately, Mr Pasanella manages with aplomb, making for a book that's as much an anecdotal primer on owning a small, neighborhood-oriented business as it is a guide to wine. Sto ...more
Kerry
Jun 23, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink
Totally fine book about what happens when you have enough cash to sink into a wine shop in an up-and-coming New York location and your clientele includes Martha Stewart. Even then, you have to have a lot of luck, energy, and patience, as well as the right people to help at the right time.
Morgan Curtis
A gossipy tone and also full of self-importance, whining, and name dropping. I finished hoping that I would learn something about wine and the industry, but the author seemed more interested making fun/light of what most people think about wine. This just came across as condescending.
Karen
Jul 25, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The author in mid-life, made a life change - he got married, bought a house, left a successful career in industry design and jumped head first into the world of wine. The chapters, with such titles as Prune, Harvest, Crush, take us along on his journey to transform a vision into an extremely successful wine business. He shares many stories of hits and misses along the way. Anyone contemplating a life in this industry or if only a wine enthusiast should read this book. So much information includi ...more
Mike McAdam
Apr 24, 2013 Mike McAdam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* I received this book free through a goodreads giveaway*

I really enjoyed this book. I thought I would be lost because I am wine-ignorant (I know when it is white and when it is red and that is about it) but I wasn't. It is a very interesting story about a man who decides to open a wine shop in Manhattan and very educational about wine in the meantime. I LOVED the writing style right off the bat which can make or break a book. This definitely made the book in this case. There was a time or two w
Jen
May 07, 2015 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped that his "journey through the crazy world of wine" would be educational and interesting. Instead, it was about a rich guy opening a wine shop. The best thing about this book was the appendix, the rest of it was a huge slog to get through, despite the fact that I like wine, I like Italy and I like learning about new things.

My most cohesive criticism other than "I don't like it" is that the flow is terribly off. He randomly puts recipes and other nonsense in the middle of a chapter so
Chip Averwater
Jun 03, 2012 Chip Averwater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done! Who can't relate to giving up the safe and known in mid-life to set out on one's own course with lots of uncertainties, risks, and challenges? A great writing style, nice choice of words, informality, and sense of humor make this a very enjoyable story. Educational for those with an interest in wines or opening a wine store, but inspirational for everyone. I'm not a cook but I'm sure the intermittent recipes will appeal to some. A fun read with useful lessons. If Mr. Pasanella write ...more
Sheryl Catellier
Liked it a lot, interesting when someone changes their whole life!
John
Nov 03, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admired that the author keeps the book down-to-earth for readers like me, although the references to his family in Italy came off as slight bragging (Manhattan didn't have that issue for me). Wasn't sure if I'd really be able to get into the book, but found the style enjoyable, with details rarely seeming bogged down (and even then it wasn't too bad). Recommended for those who are interested in learning more about wine, as well the frustrating, though sometimes funny, truth about running a bus ...more
Kristi
Sep 06, 2012 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
This was an enjoyable book following Marco Pasanella's journey of opening his own wine shop. I liked the way the chapters were set up: Plow, Prune, Harvest, Crush, Ferment, Bottle, Age, Drink. Each chapter started with a brief description of that piece of the wine making process, and then the rest of the chapter was devoted to his wine shop tale. By the end of the book I found myself wishing this wine shop was near me, he has built a wonderful business. Great read.
Donna
Jun 14, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much from reading this book. I do love my wine, however I now have a list of those new ones I wish to try soon. This book was a Goodreads giveaway that is definitely a keeper! I most of the recipes that were included as I'm also a lover or anything Italian as far as food is concerned. I will be referring to this book often and would love to visit the windshop on a trip to New York. Salute!
Karyn
Jun 20, 2012 Karyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program. As an amateur wine enthusiast I enjoyed reading about the world of wine. The stories of the various people Pasanella has encountered through his were intriguing-- who knew there were so many diverse characters in the world of wine. If you are interested in the behind-the-scenes look into the industry, this is a book you'll enjoy, too.
Studebhawk
May 30, 2013 Studebhawk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful journey through the world of wine.
And what a journey.I am a modest wine fan and I really appreciated Marco's journey.
Full of colorful characters and funny insights to be appreciated by the most casual wine drinker with the bare minimum of knowledge of the industry.
There were times that I felt compelled to take notes, his observations are that good.
And the Ferrari in the store.

Priceless!

Maneesh
Although the author/protagonist comes across as a somewhat privileged name-dropper, I still enjoyed this. It was informative, amusing, and well-paced. Not recommended for those with limited interest in wine or the machinations of wine sales. But, if you are someone who has spent even a little time wandering in a wine shop, this is worth your time.
Marjorie
Jul 11, 2012 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Easy, enjoyable read about a man and his wife who changed paths in life to open up a wine shop in NYC. There wasn't a lot to the story but i learned a lot about wine and I enjoyed it enough that on more than one occasion I wondered what it would be like to open a wine shop :)
Amy
Nov 16, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WON THIS ON GOODREADS FOR MY HUSBAND... Here's his review.

Interesting little memoir, not revolutionary or anything. I didn't learn how to deal with a mid-life crisis, but I did learn about some wines I would like to try and found some yummy sounding recipes.

Good, worth the read.
Gretchen
Aug 12, 2012 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read! Pasanella is a decent writer and carefully chronicles his major life change from architect to wine merchant. A bit of hubris sprinkled throughout the book, but a nice compliment to a growing understanding of how the business works--from grower to your table.
Joshua
Feb 21, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It had a few laugh out loud moments, a number of cringe worthy/face palm incidents, and good insight into both the retail world of wine and the absurdity of liquor laws in New York. Highly recommended for those interested in wine.
Kari
Mar 09, 2013 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I am expanding my exploration of wine and reading both about the grapes and people who love them. This book falls in the latter category. Is Pasanella crazy for giving up his career and opening a wine shop? Perhaps. But he writes about it with clarity and style.
Lauren
Jul 20, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Very interesting book. A good behind-the-scenes into the world of wine making and includes good recipies (grr cant spell today!) as well. I wasnt sure how this one was going to be because you would think wine making would be dull but I enjoyed it :)
Chris
Nov 03, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Good, worth the read.
David Buse
May 19, 2013 David Buse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marco Pasanella shares his story about the trials and tribulations of opening up a wine store in Manhattan's Seaport District. A great look at the personalities and sacrifices necessary to own your own wine shop.
Katje Richstatter
Fascinating look at what it takes to build a business (wine or otherwise) from scratch. Pasanella's voice is personal and engaging, and the book is a nice ride.
  • The Big, Fun, Sexy Sex Book
  • Ghost Dances: Proving Up on the Great Plains
  • Kill the Company: End the Status Quo, Start an Innovation Revolution
  • Words to Eat By: Five Foods and the Culinary History of the English Language
  • Manhattan Affair
  • The Memory of All That: George Gershwin, Kay Swift, and My Family's Legacy of Infidelities
  • The Juice: Vinous Veritas
  • SICK
  • A Free People's Suicide: Sustainable Freedom and the American Future
  • Travel Unscripted
  • Godspeed
  • Pure Love, Pure Life: Exploring God's Heart on Purity
  • Coldness of Marek (Serengard, #1)
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard