Start by marking “Earth From Above” as Want to Read:
Earth From Above

Earth From Above

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  577 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Remarkable aerial photographs offer the most spectacular portrait of our world ever created. Produced under the sponsorship of UNESCO, the book is also a unique documentary of the world's fragile environment.
Published (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Earth From Above, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth From Above

Paul Bryant
This book is the antidote to the news. Well okay, a lot of it is. You do get pictures of Chernobyl and rusting tanks in deserts, but even the grim images are drenched in glory. And it's as huge as it's wonderful - you almost need a removal van to get it home. Marshall McLuhan used to say that when people moan about the news always being full of depressing stuff, they're overlooking the adverts - they're the good news, he said - housewives, smile! this will rid your floors of waxy yellow buildup ...more
Algernon
[6 stars out of 5]
My first trip to Paris in 1997, the most memorable moment was not the Notre Dame or Sacre Coeur or the Louvre, but an unexpected open air photography exposition on the iron fence around Jardin de Luxembourg. Huge prints (2 by 1.5 m) of the most incredible sights from hundreds of places around the world. With all this amazing city to explore, I ended up returning to the place 5 times in 2 weeks, spending long minutes analizing each frame. I knew nothing about Yann Arthus Bertran
Manny
The best coffee table book I know, and the author has the best job I know. He travels around the world, taking photographs from helicopters, and has trained his eye so that he can find beauty anywhere. Literally anywhere. Lush Pacific atolls, desert dunes and so on are easy, of course - he doesn't neglect the low-hanging fruit. On the other hand, his results are no worse when he photographs junked aircraft and concrete overpasses. I guess he tells them to smile or something.

I was fortunate enoug
Nic
Very cool book of aerial photography from around the world. I especially like the shots of villages built in ways I haven't seen much, like on bamboo stilts or out of banco (which the book describes as a mixture of earth, straw, and rice chaff - I learned something!). I like the descriptions of the photos, too. There are some great facts about places and peoples with which/whom I was unfamiliar.

Interspersed are short essays about things like population growth, sustainability, and climate change.
Anton Klink
Although seemingly just a book of beautiful photos, this is actually a book with a mission. Whether or not you like the mission, is quite another matter.

The premise of the book is fantastic. A huge book (it is literally the largest book in my library, measuring 37 x 30 cm and weighing over 4,5 kg) with pictures shot from helicopters from around the world accompanied by informative captions. The photos have been taken during the course of more than a decade, in dozens of countries and from a pers
Once Upon
Earth from Above is the best photography book I've pick up in a long time. The images that were captured are just pure talent. You see beautiful, unique shots of landscapes or people. Some of the images you ask yourself, how is that possible what I see in the picture. SO much color and detail in each picture, you are left turning the pages faster and faster to devour all the images. Then you go through the book again. Look at the cover, see what I mean. How is it possible to have a shape of a he ...more
Diana
You don't really *read* this book in the traditional sense, but if you care about PATTERNS, like we geographers so, then this is an amazing visual journey. Check out all that this photographer does.
Mary Beth
Unbelievable images. My favorite oversized book of all time.
Linda Fugate
Nice photographs. The descriptions for the photo layouts were occasionally challenging to match.
Brian
Aerial photos from all over the world. This isn't just junk you can see on Google Earth, but amazing, beautiful masterpieces. Many of them are so rich, I feel like each could inspire its own novel or movie or something. I saw some of Arthus-Bertrand's photos on exhibit in Montreal, and I could not stop thinking about his work for months--it literally transformed the way I see the world.
Jenclone
I have a thing for aerial photography, and this was stunning. I can't stop looking at it. Lots of facts and figures, too, with essays on human development and the environment interspersed, so I learned a lot. One warning, though - it's really, really heavy (the 2010 edition). I mean, I can carry it and all, it's just a bit of a shock picking up a book that weighs more than your cat.
Jeptha Davenport
This is just a beautiful book, and for only $2 per pound, it is by far the most economical way to get the perspective from places you've never seen than helicopter, plane or space travel -- there's no better way to see your own planet from your living room, topping video media, even.
Sue
Aug 28, 2011 Sue is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning photography with very serious commentary about threats to the world's beauty, and how things that look beautiful are also a threat. This isn't a book you can just read. For one thing, it's huge and heavy. For another, it's a lot of information to take in.
Ron
This book gives you a different perspective, not only from above, but in the variety of beauty, chaos & environmental issues world wide.

It is a "MUST" for every coffee table or environmental library collection.
M
I like to look at these images full of color and life ...
Yann Arthus-Bertrand photograph Earth.
This superb book presents a new state of great ecological and social challenges facing the World today. ...

Kenda
lots of purty pictures! i saw this exhibit in 2002 in Berlin. I really enjoyed the writing under the pictures as well as the unique perspective from which these pictures were taken.
Lydia
Earth From Above is just so much fun to look at! Arthus-Bertrand is an amazing photographer and he couldn't have chose better pictures for a book about the world.
Jww
This is a BEAUTIFUL book. The images are stunning and tell wonderful stories. A great gift/coffee table book. My dog liked the book so much that he ate part of it.
Elena
las fotos mas impresionantes de la tierra, imaginen el encanto de este hombre que la foto que toma en mexico es de un basurero y esta impresionante!!
Michael Heath-Caldwell
Very large coffee table type book on aerial photography of interesting places around the world.
brian tanabe
From a purely decorative standpoint, one cannot go wrong with this title as a coffee table book.
Lexi
You must see this. Beautiful aerial imagery.
Gregor Erbach
beautiful aereal photographs, very moving
Artborghi
good shapes and colours to build won inspiration
Crystal
Excellent photos! Beautiful.
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
  • Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
  • 100 Photographs That Changed the World
  • Ansel Adams: 400 Photographs
  • Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach [With Dvdrom]
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • The World's Religions
  • Vanity Fair: The Portraits: A Century of Iconic Images
  • Photographs Annie Leibovitz 1970-1990
  • Material World: A Global Family Portrait
  • Time
  • Where Children Sleep
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
Yann Arthus-Bertrand was born in a renowned jewellers' family founded by Claude Arthus-Bertrand and Michel-Ange Marion. His sister Catherine is one of his closest collaborators. He's been interested in nature and wildlife from an early age.
From the age of 17 he became involved in the movie industry. He gave up the movie industry in 1967 to run the Château de Saint Augustin wildlife park in Château
More about Yann Arthus-Bertrand...
Earth from Above: 365 Days 6 Billion Others: Portraits of Humanity from Around the World Horses The Earth From The Air   365 Days Good Breeding

“The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness ” 246 likes