Start by marking “Nobody Cries at Bingo” as Want to Read:
Nobody Cries at Bingo

Nobody Cries at Bingo

In Nobody Cries At Bingo the narrator, Dawn, invites the reader to witness firsthand Dumont family life on the Okanese First Nation. Beyond the stereotypes and cliche's of Rez dogs, drinking, and bingos, the story of a girl who loved to read and her family begins to unfold.
Published March 2011 by Thistledown Press

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Cries at Bingo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Cries at Bingo

Book Riot Community
This is quite possibly the funniest book I’ve ever read; it had me laughing out loud and dog-earing pages to go back to practically every five minutes. Have you ever peed your pants in public? Been called ‘bannock belly’ by your cousins cause you’re a little chubby? Had your mom tell you every boy you’re remotely interested in is actually your cousin until you start to get a little suspicious? All these things and more happen to the main character Dawn, a Cree/Metis girl growing up in Saskatchew ...more
Anne
May 26, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While being marketed as a novel, "Nobody Cries At Bingo" is really a roughly chronological series of vignettes about life on a modern day reserve in Saskatchewan. In her other life, the author Dawn Dumont is a successful stand-up comic, playwright and broadcaster. Although she does not shy away from any of the social issues confronting the aboriginal population today, she paints a picture of rez life with great affection and understanding and humor. In fact several of the stories are absolutely ...more
Siobhan
Jun 11, 2015 Siobhan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this. Dumont is wisecracking and super corny; and she precisely captures the anxious self-consciousness of nerdy kids growing up. Details of reserve life (alcoholism, violence, poverty) are treated here with belly-laughing survival humor. There is a virtuosic chapter on her childhood love of Conan the Barbarian that you just have to read to believe. Basically this is a book that depicts indigenous families and reserve life with tremendous affection. I can't wait to read ...more
Cynthia Alice
Apr 21, 2014 Cynthia Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying this book, author, genre!

Loved it!
And, it deepened my awareness of, appreciation for, the phenomenal richness of life on reserves, both those I've been to and those in this book that I haven't.
Feel a need to reread it. There was so much there!
Erin L
I picked this book up at the library because it sounded interesting. The book itself was funny, and the main character is basically a sister I've never met. It surprised me how many experiences we shared, but that's likely because of our shared Saskatchewan background.

I did go into this expecting more of the negative of life on a reserve, but I didn't get that. It was there on the edges, affecting the main character's life, but not affecting who she was and how she looked at life. It was just a
Jeannette Montgomery
Gives us a new horizon against which to measure our experiences - inviting us into life on the res. A range of emotions, including enough humour to make me laugh out loud.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Have you ever peed your pants in public? Ever awkwardly wormed your way out of a schoolyard fight while trying not to earn yourself a reputation as a coward? How about unsuccessfully trying to impress a crush and coming off as a huge dork? Been called ‘bannock belly’ by your cousins cause you’re a little chubby? Had your mom tell you every boy you’re remotely interested in is your cousin until you start to get a little suspicious? If these specific humiliating yet hilarious scenarios haven’t hap ...more
Jessica
Jan 13, 2017 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This book seriously needs an editor. It is compiled as a collection of short stories, but it lacks continuity. Chronological order would be nice as would a reason for the significant gap between middle school and college. If grammar is your thing, you will be distracted continuously.

I picked it up because it got a really strong review from Book Riot...so strong that I wasn't deterred when I couldn't get it through the Chicago Public Library system or Paperback Book Swap. I ordered it from the Ca
Magdelanye
No matter where we went or how we got there, I wanted to know that I could depend on a book to centre myself. Books were my cigarettes. p40

By the time I read these words, I already knew that Dawn, despite some differences in focus (I like to smoke while reading) is my kind of person. Her tough humour, self-deprecation, her resilience and astute observation allow what could have been discouraging into an enjoyable and informative read.
Fischwife
Jan 13, 2015 Fischwife rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author. This autobiographical (I think) novel examines life on the rez and the challenges and joys that entails with sharp wit and a good dollop of compassion. Dawn's resilience, imagination, and sense of humour see her through some pretty horrifying experiences, and usually leave the reader laughing at circumstances that would otherwise be shocking and sad. As such, Dawn could be a symbol for Aboriginal people on Turtle Islan ...more
Lester
Sep 10, 2015 Lester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bwahahahah!!! So just like it is Dawn Dumont!!!
Right at the beginning of this story is this wonderful paragraph:
Quote:
"...The Canadian government stepped in and created protected reserves for the buffalo where they now grow fat but remain wild. Then they created reserves for the Native people where they grew also fat and remain a little wild. ..."
"The travel agent for all our childhood excursions was a fun-loving youn woman with a wild laugh' some may have called her daring, others reckless;
Emmkay
A collection of episodic tales (autobiographical or semi-, I think) of growing up on reserve. Really funny. The painful stuff is there, in a matter-of-fact way: alcoholism, poverty, the impact of residential schools are not glossed over, but come with a healthy dollop of sharp-eyed humour. A total keeper!
Maree Cox-Baker
Sep 06, 2012 Maree Cox-Baker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-lit
I started this book with high hopes but was disappointed. I quickly got bored and found myself speed reading just to get to the end of it.
Kristal
I really enjoyed this novel. I like how each chapter is a different snapshot from Dawn's life on the reserve. I hope she writes another book like this!
Rainey
I loved this book. It was funny and sad at the same time.

It was a peak into a life that is foreign, but as a Canadian minorty too, similar.
Katherine
I loved this funny, Saskatchewan memoir! Dumont's stories about her childhood and growing up are pretty relatable to, and a neat insight into reservation life.
Nick

Nobody Cries at Bingo is a fun, humorous jaunt into the fictionalized life of Native author Dawn Dumont. The book consists of somewhat-chronologically-ordered chapters which read like inter-connected short stories heavily drawing from Dawn's life on the Okanese First Nation, in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The writing initially seems a bit wooden and awkward, though it works its way into a sort of constant understated humour from a naive viewpoint -- which works. Most of the book takes place when
Chris Harrison
Mar 11, 2017 Chris Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year, I am reading CBC’s “12 Books by Indigenous Women You Should Read”. This is one of them.

I really enjoyed this book! Nobody Cries at Bingo is a funny, semi-autobiographical novel about growing up on and near a reserve in Saskatchewan. Dumont humorously recounts many events in her childhood. She doesn’t avoid difficult issues like racism, alcoholism and the her unsettled family-life, but addresses them with resiliency and her easy humour. I was impressed, but a bit shocked with her take
Lisa  Shamchuk
This was hilarious, in a completely dry, sarcastic and self deprecating way. Dumont turns all those little stereotypical details into comical moments, but not in a "laughing at you way", always in a "laughing with you" way. It was a joy to read! My only complaint is that it ended abruptly, but I guess that's the way vignettes are. I definitely wanted her to keep going, as the book ends with her in law school, because I wanted to hear more about her crazy family antics! Who knew a story about cry ...more
Mary Anne Thompson
Feb 17, 2017 Mary Anne Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bingo-2017
A series of connected stories related by a young girl about growing up on a reserve. By having the events told in the voice of a young person, there was less sting on reading about the terrible conditions on the reserve and the racism at school and elsewhere. The young voice could also present hardship with humour.
Sarah Insomnia
(NOTE: This review is an excerpt from a graduate level research paper. The rating (stars) and the critical review are mutually exclusive; the former simply pertains to my subjective partiality to the story)

Dawn Dumont paints a vivid picture of average life as a First Nations child and teen in Nobody Cries at Bingo. In this coming of age tale, Dumont illustrates the reality of reservation life for First Nations children and adolescents in both Manitoba and Saskatchewan via snapshots of their dail
Louise
Sep 20, 2016 Louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian, indigenous
Wonderfully entertaining and hilarious stories about a young girl growing up on a First Nations reserve.
Golden Secondary School
Funny, poignant and hopeful, Nobody Cries at Bingo follows the life of Dawn as she grows up on the Okanese First Nation.

Each chapter is a short snippet of Dawn's childhood. Childhood antics and community events are relayed from Dawn's sometimes hilarious, often moving, point of view.

Recommended for fans of realistic, humorous fiction.
Chris
Mar 11, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Semi-autobiographical in nature, and hilarious throughout, this is another great book about life on the Rez. Dawn has gone on to a lot of local fame in her area, so it's wonderful to look back and see a normal chubby kid who broke down a lot of barriers to get where she is today. Looking forward to me next Dumont read.
Gillian Hollett
May 21, 2016 Gillian Hollett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive, 2016
While the writing in this fictional memoir is wonderful and enlightening, the editing falls short for me. Not only were there a bunch of missed errors, but there was no arc, no journey, to Dawn's stories. I can see the potential, but unfortunately the whole wasn't as strong as the individual parts.
Lisa Faye
Jun 30, 2016 Lisa Faye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My enjoyment of this book may be more of a reflection of my Saskatchewan homesickness, but Dumont is incredibly funny. The stories of her relationship with her siblings and her awkward teen years had me rooting for her - and at times reminded me of my own childhood.

My favourite character in the book? Her mom without a doubt.
Pat
Oct 20, 2016 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! Girls growing up in small towns (or on reserve, like Dawn) will, like, relate, eh, to the coming of age rites and humiliations, told with loving humour with a dark edge, in this terrific book set in a reserve town in Saskatchewan.
Petra Willemse
A good selection of vignettes into a young girl's life on a reserve. I enjoyed the humour and the truthfulness of the narration.
Clare
Clare rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
Raquel
Raquel rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sugar Falls: A Residential School Story
  • The Lesser Blessed
  • Motorcycles & Sweetgrass
  • Fatty Legs
  • The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet
  • Dream Wheels
  • Islands of Decolonial Love
  • Celia's Song
  • Yellow Line
  • The Lynching of Louie Sam
  • Shi-shi-etko
  • North End Love Songs
  • The Pemmican Eaters
  • They Called Me Number One: Secrets and Survival at an Indian Residential School
  • As Long as the Rivers Flow
  • The Way It Is
  • (You) Set Me on Fire
  • The Amazing Absorbing Boy
A comedy writer with an interest in the supernatural.
More about Dawn Dumont...