Start by marking “Licht aus!” as Want to Read:
Licht aus!

Licht aus!

In diesem Kino spielt der Tod die Hauptrolle ...

Als Brit in einem Kino den Film SCHRECK, DER VAMPIR sieht, wundert sie sich: Die junge Frau, der man die Kehle durchschneidet, ist das nicht ihre Freundin Tina? Aber die ist doch keine Schauspielerin!

Brit ahnt noch nicht, das auch sie bald die Hauptrolle in einem Film spielen wird - in SCHRECK, DER INQUISITOR ...
Published 2012 by Festa Verlag (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Licht aus!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Licht aus!

Jack Tripper
description

For some inexplicable reason I'm repeatedly drawn back to Laymon's work, every year or two, even though I'm batting way below the Mendoza line* as far as the hit/miss ratio. I think I like the idea of Laymon more than I enjoy reading him, much of the time. The idea of reading brainless, B slasher movies in novel form, filled with hopelessly stupid (and hopelessly horny) teens who get offed one by one seems fun as hell. But the actual reading of them can sometimes be a chore, as the characters ar
Ken
Oct 13, 2014 Ken rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Laymon's "Out are the Lights" for a little 1980's horror throwback fix. I can honestly say that the book was a fun read though a little disjointed at times due to the merging of storylines.

What turned me off was the abrupt ending, and calling it "abrupt" is an understatement. It almost seemed as if Laymon just got bored writing the book and just pinched it off several chapters too early. Maybe that was some early 1980's artsy-fartsy thing to do. I don't know. All I am certain of is t
Oscar
May 28, 2015 Oscar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prestados, terror
‘Apagadas están las luces’ (Out are the Lights, 1982), de Richard Laymon, se divide en dos tramas bien diferenciadas. Por una parte tenemos a Connie, escritora, que se verá involucrada en la venganza de su ex novio. Y por otra parte, tenemos las películas snuff y el Palacio Encantado, el cine en el que se estrenan estos cortos con muertes reales, pero que la gente que asiste cree que son ficticios. Esta parte es la más sangrienta. En la parte final es cuando ambas tramas convergen. Hasta llegar ...more
Siobhan
Dec 23, 2014 Siobhan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book came from my mother’s 80’s throwback pile – a collection of her old horror books that she has given me for pleasure reading. It seems to be a disjointed collection with some being really good reads whereas others seem to fall short.

Sadly, ‘Out Are The Lights’ falls into the latter section. I’d put it aside for a while, expecting a really good read on a rainy day, yet it was nowhere near what I had expected.

It was fun, yes. It had a great idea behind it, without a doubt. It was executed
John
A novella and a handful of stories--some good, some bad. Overall, entertaining enough for those who appreciate mayhem for mayhem's sake. Laymon's pervy writing style gets old after awhile, and the endings to some of these stories are incredibly stupid, but there's a certain maniacal energy to Laymon's work that commands your attention and keeps you coming back for more.
DJMikeG
An extremely brisk little volume of intense shocks from horror master Richard Laymon. The story was excellent, but as some other reviewers have noted, the ending was a little weak. It seemed like Laymon tried to put an E.C. Comics style twist at the end, but it just didn't really work. Beyond that, this is Laymon at his most intense and fast moving. The film is about people being abducted and unwittingly cast as victims in 'horror movies' that are real. Snuff movies that are presented to an unkn ...more
Robjr73
Apr 26, 2014 Robjr73 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: richard-laymon
I loved this book. I had previously read Beware by Laymon and didn't love it and this one bears that book by a mile. My copy of Out Are The Lights included bonus stories at the end. I'm not sure if every version does, but definitely read this version if u can because some of the bonus stories are great. The main story here reads at about 250 pages. That's the biggest flaw with this book. Out Are The Lights should've either been cut down to a short story or lengthened to be a more fuller novel. L ...more
Duane
Sep 11, 2013 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, laymon
This short Richard Laymon novel is a little disjointed, in which the narrative tries to weave two connected storylines together with mixed results. This is not to say that I did not enjoy the novel. Laymon writes pure, pulp horror, which is undeniably my literary weak spot. But his inability to develop empathetic characters has prevented me from granting any of his work that I have read higher than a three-star rating. Fortunately, Laymon has an extensive catalogue and I hold out hope for an eve ...more
Wayne
Jan 17, 2016 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book I have is the English version from Headline. It has the five extra short stories added to the end. First Out Are The Lights. This could have been a great book from Laymon, instead it's just O.K. for me. The story was a pretty good one, but there was little of Laymons trademark characters who go from calm and good to insane and vicious. There was off beat people involved. But not like some other of his books. It also end abruptly. A nice time waster.
The short stories was a different beas
Mark
Sep 05, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Promising much more than it could ever deliver, this has Laymon examining snuff movies. A good read, quick and gruesome, but it could have been more.
Michael
Out Are The Lights is an early Laymon novel and it shows Laymon trying to find his balance and stay original. With later books we know what to expect, and he already has found his comfort zone, but here we find a writer exploring his surroundings and getting a feel for the area. The strength of Lights is his pacing and storytelling. You have a twisted plot that seems to have no connection at all and sometimes it feels a bit disjointed, but Laymon knows exactly what he's doing and has no problem ...more
Thomas
Jan 27, 2016 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark, thriller, 2016
So, I'm three books into Laymon's oeuvre, and trying to figure out how he managed to get a book deal out of them. They're pretty bad. The early 1980s, though, was the boom of horror fiction, so maybe publishers were just going with anything that involved death and torture to keep riding that money train.

There are two stories taking place in Out Are the Lights: one is about a director who creates horror movies by torturing and killing people for real; the other is about a man who's trying to get
David
May 26, 2012 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: festa
Richard Laymon ist immer wieder aufs Neue ein Genuss, der nicht zu hoch angesiedelt ist und den man einfach nur genießen kann, ohne viel Denken zu müssen. Ein paar seiner Werke kenne ich inzwischen, viele stehen hier auch noch ungelesen. Besonders gut gefiel mir seine Kurzgeschichtensammlung FURIEN, denn die Romane, die ich bisher von ihm kenne, haben alle nicht so wirklich ganz meinem Geschmack getroffen. Und so war auch LICHT AUS! für mich leider kein Laymon-Highlight.

Zu Beginn muss ich das Co
Sarah Janina
May 27, 2016 Sarah Janina rated it liked it
Als Brit sich einen Horrorstreifen im Kino ansieht, wundert sie sich: Ist das nicht ihre Freundin Tina, die da die Hauptrolle spielt? Aber Tina ist doch keine Schauspielerin!

Brit ahnt noch nicht, dass auch sie bald in einem Film mitspielen wird... Und einige andere ja vielleicht auch.

Ich bin ein Laymon Fan, doch stelle ich leider immer wieder fest, dass die Erstlingswerke von ihm, die mittlerweile der Festa Verlag veröffentlicht, leider nicht ganz meinem Geschmack entsprechen und auch kaum meine
Jim Reindollar
Another fast paced story from Laymon, perhaps too fast paced. Written in 1982, I think if Laymon had written this a decade later it would be at least 100 pages longer.
Great concept, and the main character Connie is good, Dal and Elizabeth intriguing, but Pete was just too right wing. I mean he and a child are in danger of being attacked by a black woman, but he is afraid to draw his weapon because he is concerned about what liberal groups will say? Liberal groups are fine with children being mu
Ruben
Feb 02, 2017 Ruben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En este libro Richard Laymon nos entrega dos historias las cuales durante el desarrollo no parecen tener nada en común, en la primera nos muestran un viejo cine que es reabierto en el cual proyectan películas de terror, y que entre las funciones muestran cortos del mismo género, lo interesante aquí es que apestar de verse como films de bajo presupuesto sus efectos son muy realistas, en la segunda historia relatan la historia de una escritora y su relación amorosa y bueno durante la mayoría del l ...more
Zauberlehrling!
Absolut krank. Spannend, ekelig, krank. Ich habe eigentlich keine Angst und weiß genau, das die Geschichten nur Geschichten sind, auch wenn die zum zerreißen spannend sind. Aber schauen wir uns doch mal die momentane "Torture"-Horrorfilm Welle an. Filme wie "Saw", "Hostel" oder auch "Final Destination" zeigen uns doch genau das, was diese Schreck-Filme zeigen. Woher wissen wir, dass die nicht auch Opfer haben - echte Opfer, denn die meisten Darsteller daraus sind komplett unbekannt. Was ich dami ...more
Kellybrianna
I've read all the books of Richard Laymon I can get my hands on, this book is the last of three I've never been able to find. So I was pretty excited when I saw it in a used bookstore.

It's not as good as some of his other books (the traveling vampire show, resurrection dreams, come out tonight, and more). This one is a novella with short stories after. It's pretty much splatterpunk (which is Laymon's forte) but it lacks the plot or fleshed out characters I know he's capable of. I've enjoyed some
Wesley Thomas
Mar 11, 2013 Wesley Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still am unable to settle on this book. The beginning and middle were amazing in terms of characterisations, plot, storylines, twists, cliffhangers and general style of 'Laymon' writing.
But the ending I was very dissapointed with, i felt it was not fully resolved, and then there were a lot of short story type chapters towards the end of the book which were irrelevant to the story.
But as I said the majority of the book made for an excellent read and you did not want to put it down, i just felt
Douglas Castagna
May 08, 2014 Douglas Castagna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A huge fan of Laymon, there are some I still have not read, I guess I am holding off because once they are gone that is it. In any rate, this book included the lenghty title novella and several stories, some of which I have read before, including Madman Stan, the Tub, and Bad News to name a few. The title story includes some interesting characters, both good and purely vile, and deliciously drawn. There is a love triangle, well I guess rectangle that is at the center of the tale as well as some ...more
Nicole
Mar 04, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Laymon has fast become a favorite of mine. Add to that my love for short stories and I finished the book in one sitting. There's lot of debate about short stories, some don't think they deserve any respect or consideration. I happen to enjoy them. Which is not to say I won't happily tackle a book with 800 pages. It is my opinion that short stories are highly undervalued, thus the less than great reviews.
Dianastrokes
Entrenido, muy siniestro y macabro pero nada que no se pueda soportar. El que sea cortito en este caso juega a su favor, pues evita que nos acabemos aburriendo de la trama y que no se haga repetitivo. De momento no me rindo con el autor (cuando leí "El sótano" pensé que no leería nada más de él), es una buena opción para cuando apetece algo un poco gore y retorcido.
Nick
Jul 12, 2012 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't much care for the main story. I think it suffered from a lack of fleshing-out, as do a lot of Laymon's earlier works, but "Out Are The Lights" as a whole gets four stars from me for the shorter stories that appear after the novella.
♥ Marlene♥
The first story is a long one. I really liked that one except for the end. It could have been better. The shorter stories which I normally like were a bit of a disappointment, but all in all a good book again.
Dawn
Mar 03, 2010 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how Richard Laymon sets the scene and then gives sketchy descriptions of the events that occurs...it lets me use my imagination...now that's SCARY and DERANGED!
However, I didn't like the short stories that followed the main one.
PsypherPunk
Definitely an ending from the Resurrection Dreams school as Laymon runs out of narrative and bails. Everything prior to that is relatively standard fare: two peripherally connected narratives relating to snuff films and infidelity which sort of collide.
Alexandria
Mar 01, 2015 Alexandria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! I really enjoy how Richard Laymon describes his characters and the gory things that they do or have done to them. These frighten me, but it is really interesting how he thinks of this stuff! Awesome authors, awesome literature!
Stony Graves
By far, the worst Laymon book I've read. Still, though, Laymon managed to keep me reading with his intense, flawless prose.
buchtrunken
Jun 27, 2012 buchtrunken rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012, 4-5-stars
Evil, perverse, brutal ... Richard Laymon.
Jennie Prior
  • The Last Motel
  • In Laymon's Terms
  • Moon
  • The Vanishing
  • Deadly After Dark (Hot Blood, #4)
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...