Start by marking “People Skills” as Want to Read:
People Skills

People Skills

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A wall of silent resentment shuts you off from someone you love....You listen to an argument in which neither party seems to hear the other....Your mind drifts to other matters when people talk to you....

People Skills is a communication-skills handbook that can help you eliminate these and other communication problems. Author Robert Bolton describes the twelve most common

Published (first published October 1979)

To ask other readers questions about People Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Skills

Bob Selden
Although “People Skills” was first published in 1986, I feel obliged to review it as the principles and lessons espoused by Robert Bolton are timeless. In fact it is probably one of the most used books in my collection (I even have the paperback version covered in plastic and it’s never far from my desk).

“People Skills” is not a book that one sits down and reads from cover to cover. It’s a book where you might read a chapter that relates to one of your underused skills (such as assertion) for y...more
Kelsey
apparently the 80's is when all the good psych books were written. i've tried to apply the practical skills found in this book to my daily life, rephrasing what people say to assure understanding, keeping a watchful eye on my emotional space to protect it from intruders, etc. 2 weeks later and i still have friends, so the book can't be all bad.
Chelsea
If you want to learn how to better communicate with EVERYONE in your life, read this book!
Doug Rice
Great book on communication. The best advice on effectively listening (reflectively listening) I've ever read. The parts about being assertive and resolving conflict are a little redundant and also unrealistic. There are also some really good chapters at the end on basic attitudes involved in effective communication.
Marika Alexander
Helpful book in many areas, but a little dense to wade through. It provides a very nice overview on interpersonal skills and covers assertiveness, active listening and problem solving skills.
Belinda
i refer to this book all the time, as a teacher, counselor, administrator, and person.
Albert Cacace
I read this book in the late 80's shortly after it was published and it changed my life. I read it again in 2005 and I've recommended it to several folks over the years. I don't know of anyone who has taken my advice -- but I sure wish some of them did. This book is a must read for everyone.
Belcantomom
I've said before that every person intending to be in a longterm relationship should read this book. I believe it more now. I read this first before I had taken any CS classes and before I became an instructor. It was very useful then and continued to be. It is even better now. I think I'll read it over and over just to remind myself. NVC focuses on changing our attitudes and thoughts about how we think about others. This is excellent for specific techniques that become skills and then change th...more
Mike Miller
Apr 03, 2014 Mike Miller rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harley King
Found the book a good outline to insure I can communicate with others. Reminds me of the training I received from Harley King when I worked for health Care and Retirement Corp.
Hesham Barakat
One of the best books there is, that provides structured tactics to improve listening skills and generally communication skills
Beth
Update: Re-reading it every two years. Still good. (2013)

Original Review: This book is so full of good stuff, it's hard to get through. I started reading every page twice. I feel like I need to read it once a year or something.
I agree with everything this guy says and the book has prompted me to think that telling the truth all the time is okay. And to tell people when I don't like what they're doing, etc.
Kayla
Written in the 80s, but applies now more than ever as people become more connected via online channels and worse at communicating effectively. I used this book as a basis for leading group therapy with youth on how to communicate better, but found myself thinking that many adults in my life could benefit. It is well written, easy to read, and easy to digest the concepts to put in practice.
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
The first two thirds of the book are rather formulaic, making the thought of implementing the recommendations in real social situations daunting but it does then relax at the end and talk about more natural methods of communicating based on the earlier techniques. An interesting read - I'm sure you'll learn something valuable that will help you be more assertive.
Kate Worthy

I was recommended this book by my counsellor to help resolve non-communication conflicts with my non-confrontational partner as we never seemed to resolve differences rather just bury them. This is definitely a working tool to dip on and out of, helped me tremendously to be more subtle in my need to 'talk' things through and employ my listening skills.
Pasquale

A must read for therapists new or seasoned or just for anyone wanting to improve their communication skills. Many references to famous therapists and their philosophies. Will be a recommended book for my Counseling Procedures course.
Tommy
Helped significantly with my Social anxiety. I would recommend it to everybody, even if you think you are good at conversation, chances are you are not as good as you think, reading this book will make you see your faults and improve upon them
Tipper
The nice thing about this book is that it provides an incredible amount of useful information in one relatively small book. The bad thing about it is that it'll make you realize how awful you are at communicating and what a jerk you can be.
Slobodan Stefanovic
The most useful book about interpersonal communication I have read. It covers broad area from listening to conflict resolution. This book really changed how I communicate and relate to people and I am often coming back to it.
Kathy
Accessible and comprehensive, this is the best book on interpersonal relationships I've ever read. I read it for my Crises Center work, but have found the information to be useful throughout my life.
Nsiah Stephen
Robert has really made it very simple and comprehensive, i recommend to any individual who thinks it is possible to live 'alone as human' ... a second thought wouldn't not be a disaster.
Kathy
Apr 12, 2012 Kathy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot to digest. I have learned many things that I do wrong so far. One thing that is progressive about the book is that it gives examples of how to correct those wrong doings.
Walaa Alshehri
عنوان الكتاب ومواضيعه جذبتني لذلك اشتريته. بدأت قراءته وحاولت الاستمرار في القراءة لكني شعرت بالملل. الكلام في كل فصل مكرر ويمكن اختصاره في جملتين وشعرت كذلك أن هناك فلسفة لا داعي لها
S.
This book is recommended for people who want to improve their communication skills and get along better with others. It teaches people important people skills for our times.
Katherine Catone
read it first in 1987 because it was recommended by la leche league. have reread parts of it all the time since then and have recommended it constantly since.
Carmela
I love to read this book over and over again. I find new insights or am just learning how to incorporate in my everyday life.
Jay Liu
Appreciated the skill of listening a whole lot more since this book. Most of what I learned about listening comes from this book.
Donna Clark-stromatt
Want to learn to be a better communicator? Read this book. It can be applied anywhere... Work, home, school... Where ever.
John Knox
This book might make your head explode. I can't recommend it highly enough to humans who know other humans.
Mckinley
Difficult to read this cover to cover since it works more like an encyclopedia about communication.
Geraldine (starian72)
I'm currently reading this for employee relations and surprisingly I'm really enjoying it!
  • The Power of a Positive No: How to Say No and Still Get to Yes
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • The Lost Art of Listening: How Learning to Listen Can Improve Relationships
  • How to Work a Room, 25th Anniversary Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone
  • A New Guide to Rational Living
  • The Psychology of Self-Esteem
  • Understanding Human Nature
  • Organizing Genius
  • It's Not All about Me: The Top Ten Techniques for Building Quick Rapport with Anyone
  • Understanding Other People: The Five Secrets to Human Behavior
  • The Dance of Connection: How to Talk to Someone When You're Mad, Hurt, Scared, Frustrated, Insulted, Betrayed, or Desperate
  • Photoreading
  • Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You
  • Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
People Styles at Work: Making Bad Relationships Good & Good Relationships Better People styles at work-- and beyond : Making bad relationships good and good relationships better Social Style/Management Style People Styles at Work History of the Town of Mamaroneck

“The success of language in conveying information is highly overrated. ” 0 likes