Start by marking “The Big Bang” as Want to Read:
The Big Bang

The Big Bang

At Melody Mountain Ranch, the local residents are too busy with home shopping parties, Fundamentalism-Light, and each other’s business to notice their superficially well-constructed houses are literally rotting beneath them. Secret affairs, teen witchcraft, and a power-hungry homeowner’s board have their personal lives deconstructing even faster.

On Wonderland Valley Way, b
Published November 18th 2012 by Tyrus Books (first published October 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Bang

Kathryn
Sep 13, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this because I thought this sounded hilarious from the blurb. Somewhere along the way I found myself comparing this to one of my favorite television series that has wrapped up. This wasn't just snarky, fun humor this had some down right dark comedic moments as well. Fans of Desperate Housewives will find a lot to love in The Big Bang by Linda Hull. While still reflecting the same feel of everything I loved on Wisteria Lane, the author has come up with a totally unique plot and c ...more
Mark Stevens
Oct 27, 2012 Mark Stevens rated it it was amazing
Hope Jordan wants a baby. "Wants" is putting it mildly. Craves. Yearns. Needs. You get the picture. When we meet her, she’s getting ready for a fertility day “coffee break.”

Neighbor Will Pierce-Cohn has a litany of concerns aimed at the developer of Melody Mountain Ranch and goes door to door in hopes of fomenting anger—and gathering signatures on his multi-faceted petitions.

Maryellen Griffin is desperate to shed a few pounds to get below her current “dismal” 102. She savors the peppermint flav
Amy
Jan 03, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, preachy
The copy I received from Netgalley on my Kindle app was a bad copy with missing letters and formatting errors. Couldn't read it.

ETA- the author contacted me via GR and got me another copy. She never asked for anything in exchange for her generosity but I'll be giving The Big Bang an honest review nonetheless.

The blurb/summary was somewhat misleading. I selected this book on NetGalley because I thought it was about Hope Jordan and her adventures/misadventures in getting knocked up - in other wor
Madeline Dahlman
Oct 22, 2012 Madeline Dahlman rated it liked it
Shelves: light-but-good
Once I realized this was meant as a suburban satire, I found it a lot more enjoyable. One of the main characters is a pastor and because of that, there's a lot of "god-talk" (dear lord, help me..the lord blessed us blah blah blah) which I found to be overwhelming at times...but once I realized it wasn't meant to be serious, I wasn't as bothered. Basically there's 3 men (with their respective families) who live in this suburban subdivision and they're all attracted to the same 1 woman, Hope Jorda ...more
M.o.
Apr 15, 2013 M.o. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Desperate Houswives
Linda Joffe Hull

Suburbia in hyper mode! Without a doubt, one can not but think of a favorite TV show featuring suburbia antics when reading this book, yet it is not quite Desperate Housewives. Perhaps more Desperate HOA or HOA Gone Wild.

If you've ever lived in a neighborhood with an active HOA, on some level you can identify with at least some of the HOA antics in this book. Living in an HOA active neighborhood myself, I found myself quite amused at this aspect of the book and the characters th
David
Dec 02, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
This book is a great deal more complex than the summary on the back makes it sound. However, it doesn't read as overly complex. It is well-paced, wonderfully crafted, and is full of interesting characters. It does center on Hope and her situation, but I wouldn't list her down as more of a main character than a number of the other characters of this suburban neighborhood. Hull works with a number of characters and manages to keep them all moving and developing in a way that they all seem to be th ...more
Alice
Nov 08, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Easy read after I put all the families together, I likes Maryellen best a true detective.
Jencey/
Dec 30, 2014 Jencey/ rated it it was ok
I don't usually put this in a review but I found the galley hard to read.
Kathleen Eigenbrode
Feb 11, 2016 Kathleen Eigenbrode rated it it was ok
Too long.
Lorraine
Mar 20, 2016 Lorraine rated it it was ok
Meh. Silly.

Becky Shaw beedy
Feb 14, 2013 Becky Shaw beedy rated it it was amazing
I attended an author reading in St. Louis where Ms. Hull presented this book. I enjoyed her reading so much I bought the book even though it's not a genre I normally ever read. I'm so glad I did.

The tongue-in-cheek satirical humor is fabulously entertaining. It's a hilarious stab at suburbia. The book is a quick read that will leave you chuckling for days after you finished it and laughing loud out loud while you are reading.
Monica
Sep 15, 2012 Monica rated it liked it
Life at Melody Mountain Ranch appears calm and collected from the outside but within there is a beautiful lonely woman trying to get pregnant and several men willing to help her out. The lust of an affair and the inter-workings of the Homeowners Association mixes together with just enough intrigue and mystery to keep readers guessing till the end when it all falls apart.
Ali
I was unable to finish this novel.

Prosecution:
Slow, boring, dreary..

Defense:
I found nothing redeeming of this novel. Maybe, I'll pick this up another day, but I doubt it.

To see my verdict, please go to From Bows to Books..
Amber Ziegler
If you like suburban-distopia, Desperate-Housewives stories, this book would be a good choice. Personally, I'm not a fan, so this book was kind of a "meh" for me. The writing was better-than-average, although I prefer more characterization. So this certainly wasn't a bad book, just one not particularly aligned to my tastes.
Darcy
Dec 02, 2012 Darcy rated it did not like it
It didn't take long for the HOA politics to turn me off. I am not a big fan of them in general and I don't really care to read about them. Plus the people in this books seemed so self-involved that it drove me nuts. This one just wasn't for me.
Michele Coleman
Mar 14, 2013 Michele Coleman rated it really liked it
Fun and entertaining. Like reading Desperate Housewives with all the interesting characters and crazy happenings ! light and fun, still wondering who the father is and does Hope know ?!
Corinne
Oct 31, 2013 Corinne rated it really liked it
Hilarious! So much more than the blurb describes... Totally engrossed by the lives of these busy-body neighbors and their suburban HOA lives.
Tammy
Feb 13, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it
It was a unique story line and lots of crazy characters. I kind of wished it would have arrived at certain plots faster but it was an enjoyable read.
Rhonda Montera Barnhisel
Jul 01, 2013 Rhonda Montera Barnhisel rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Very dishy, fun, summer read. Can't wait to read Linda Joffe Hull's next book!
Kimberly Kirsch wildes
Kind of dark....and the male characters kind of bugged me-but in the end karma prevailed!
Maureen
Aug 25, 2013 Maureen rated it liked it
Fun satirical look at life in a housing development.
Wendy Byrge-Waschevski
It was over all a good book, but the ending was ehh.
Ivy Miller
What a book, slow to start, transferred back in
Paula
Mar 06, 2016 Paula rated it liked it
Trashy fun with an HOA twist.
Kathy Dempsey
Aug 25, 2013 Kathy Dempsey rated it liked it
meh
Jobber
Jobber added it
Sep 19, 2016
Danielle Gerhart
Danielle Gerhart rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Ashley Hite
Ashley Hite rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2016
Jessica Mooneyham
Jessica Mooneyham rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Universe beginnings 1 3 Jan 14, 2016 09:35AM
The Big Bang, whose the daddy ? 1 6 Mar 14, 2013 05:42PM
  • Secret Sister
  • The Man Plan
  • Matilda's Freedom
  • Forever a Stallion
  • The Theory of Attraction: The Theory of Attraction\A Shot in the Dark\Forbidden Fantasies
  • Stones
  • Love Slave
  • His Convict Wife
  • That Weekend...
  • Slave Girl (1,001 Erotic Nights, #1)
  • Pray the Gay Away: The Extraordinary Lives of Bible Belt Gays
  • The Strange Gift of Gwendolyn Golden
  • In the Land of the Living
  • Forever Werewolf
  • The Enchanted Truth
  • Refuge
  • IOU Sex
  • The Ruby Kiss (The Magic Knot, #4)
That Linda Joffe Hull’s father thought it well advised to read Kafka in general, and THE METAMOPHOSIS in particular, to his then eight-year-old daughter is a question better left for the therapist’s couch. As a result however, Linda was bitten by the literary bug.
Always an avid reader, she ignored the corresponding compulsion to write, receiving a B.A. in Economics from UCLA, embarking on a career
More about Linda Joffe Hull...