Start by marking “Knock 'em Dead 2013: The Ultimate Job Search Guide” as Want to Read:
Knock 'em Dead 2013: The Ultimate Job Search Guide

Knock 'em Dead 2013: The Ultimate Job Search Guide

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  294 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Take control of your career!For more than twenty-five years, "New York Times" bestselling author Martin Yate has shown the way for millions of job seekers. Now you can use his proven methods to put your job search and career back on track.

Updated for 2013, Yate delivers a blueprint for success in a time when hundreds of candidates are competing for the same position. He te
Published October 18th 2012 by Adams Media Corporation (first published August 15th 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Knock 'em Dead 2013, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knock 'em Dead 2013

Andrea Estelle
May 12, 2011 Andrea Estelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knock ‘em Dead: The Ultimate Job Search Guide 2011

The Knock ‘em Dead series by Martin Yate has always been very popular in my library. This book is the newly updated version that gives the latest information on searching for jobs. It is a treasure trove of great ideas for a person looking for a job. Part 1 covers resume creation and job searching, Part 2 covers interviewing, Part 3 covers interviewing also, including how to answer the tough questions, and Part 4 covers how to follow-up, what to
Andy Mitchell
When I was a college student, I read What Color Is Your Parachute, a classic in job hunting advice.

Knock ‘em Dead is a worthy successor!

I received a free eBook copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for my unbiased review.

Because of the many internet resources available, I recommend purchasing the eBook format of this book.

Mr. Yate is a consummate professional and writes with great authority. No matter your job search needs, this book is written with you in mind.

The only area in which
PurplyCookie
Martin Yate--America's leading advocate for working professionals--guides you through the whole process of job seeking, from assembling your resume to acing the interview to negotiating a salary. In addition, he gives you insider information on the answers you need to impress interviewers and convince them beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are the best candidate for the position.

Know an employer's real agenda behind questions such as:
~ Why do you want to work here?
~ What can you do for us t
Andrew
Jun 03, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Knock ‘Em Dead, Martin Yate teaches people how to get a job in today’s tough economy. You must have a professional brand in order to succeed and stand out from others. A good professional brand consists of your transferable skills, learned behaviors, and core values in the workplace. The book will show you how to write a resume that will look professional and will help you land the job. Yate gave wonderful tips on how to dress to impress your bosses for job interviews. He also included severa ...more
Vernie
Jun 11, 2011 Vernie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Globalization. Redundancy. Recession.

Change is constant and the workplace is dynamic. You are never so sure now a days if your job or your Company will still exist for years to come. In some point in our lives, we experience the job hunting process in order to find a new job, get a better salary/compensation or benefits.

But the job hunting process can be a nightmare or an opportunity to find a better pay scale. This guide book teaches you practical tips on job searching and how you can stand out
Julie H.
Sep 21, 2008 Julie H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This was the singlemost useful book I consulted on my "carpet bomb" search for gainful permanent employment in a field I adore. Obviously, there are newer editions--and I'd recommend going with the most recent. The advice covers everything from preparation and research before the interview, to how to deal with the range of competent and hideously incompetent interviewers out there (sadly, they *dont'* know who they are), to practical advice for meals (with the possible exception of the directive ...more
Rachel C
Apr 03, 2013 Rachel C rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a good reference for re-entering the job market or brushing up on your skills. I was expecting it to be a better all-encompassing job hunting book, but it is lacking in the chapter on resumes. It spent too much time on developing and analyzing your skills, and too little on actual example resumes (probably so you'll buy the author's specialized book on resumes). Also, the book is geared more toward the sales industry. However, the book does provide substantial guidance on networking and ...more
Melissa
May 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knock em Dead the Ultimate Job Search Guide 2011 the 25th Anniversary Edition by Martin Yate is a good book. I did learn a few things but for the most part I already knew a lot of what this book was about. I did like the way Martin Yate wrote about the Me Inc. It made me look at me in a different way. This book was a good reminder and refresher for me. There are several websites to go to for help he references, I thought that was good to include. I feel like this is an excellent book for a teach ...more
Jt
Jan 15, 2014 Jt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview for job searching. It includes resources, explanations about how to use them, and great tips on specific areas of concern within a job search. The website, however, didn't have much of what the book claims it has, such as the "What can I do with a degree database". Rather, the website was simply a marketing tool to get you to buy further help from the author.
Glen
Jan 12, 2016 Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A great guide on how to find a job. This book is backed with the author's website, giving a reader many resources for finding a job.
Lisa Sanfilippo
Jul 14, 2014 Lisa Sanfilippo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for anyone looking for a job.
Heather
Jan 29, 2014 Heather marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Ron Meadows
Miranda Hall
Jul 19, 2011 Miranda Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS THE BOOK THAT GOT ME MY JOB, AND ESSETIALLY CHANGED MY LIFE. I recommned it to any and everyone looking to start a new job search endeavour.

Read it, let it resonate, follow it, conquer!

I read the book, followed the tips, the following week I had 12 interviews and mulitple offers.
The book breaks down any industry into the simplest terms as to how you fit in.
You're golden if you follow it....
Angela Blood
Dec 04, 2012 Angela Blood rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book really stunk! I thought a lot of the advice given in the book was complete crap and I got the feeling that the jobs he was preparing you for were super high corporate jobs, which is not what I'm interested in at all. Also, it's never wise to lie about who you are or what you're calling about just to get to speak with somebody who can hire you... Not wise at all, Mr. Yate...
Gloria Brzny
Oct 07, 2015 Gloria Brzny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this prize book is a good source. my newly college graduate is finding this very helpful. he is glad to have his own copy. this enables him to highlight the necessary points. it helps him from writing resume, interviewing and networking. even where job growth may occur. the information is given in a step by step method and includes websites which can help.
Deanna Lenz
Nov 16, 2015 Deanna Lenz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very educational and helpful. I have donated this book to the media center at the High School that I work at. The information we had on our shelves was outdated and this was a great new resource for our students. Thanks again for the book, and a huge thank you from our high school students.
Garry
Jan 06, 2012 Garry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great book! I read it last year and used it to rewrite my resume, and I ended up getting a job a few weeks later after tapping into my network. I'd recommend this as a good resource for anyone looking to make a change or on the hunt for a job.
Wynn
Jan 25, 2016 Wynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prepares you for all types of interview questions from the basic "tell me about yourself" to harder more obscure questions. Questions are listed alphabetically in the back of the book for easy reference. This book pays off!
Danusia
This book has an useful chapter on negotiating a job offer; including salary, stocks, noncompete agreements and benefits. Everything else, was common sense. I suggest picking it up at the library to read that single chapter.
Kerri
Aug 14, 2015 Kerri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lame advice
Amy
Dec 02, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very in-depth discussion on a lot of job-search subjects. I appreciated the attempt to link the book to the ever-expanding world of technology we live in but the lists of websites became distracting.
Susan Csoke
Oct 18, 2015 Susan Csoke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous "coffee table book" that can be used for quick reference. This is a comprehensible guide to help further anyones carreer. THANK YOU GOODREADS FIRSTREADS FOR THIS FREE BOOK.!!!!!
Rosslyn
Aug 10, 2009 Rosslyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a job then get this book! It really gives a job seeker a heads up on what to expect in tough interview situations. In today's market we need all the help we can get!
Elizabeth Flowers
May 04, 2012 Elizabeth Flowers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book I purchased while in my own job search that I use in my daily work life. This book provides many examples of what NOT to do while you are seeking employment.
Faye B
Apr 29, 2008 Faye B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read to answer all your job search questions from interviewing, what to wear at an interview, body language, resume, how to answer tough questions and more.
Leslie
Dec 11, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A very useful resource for those that are breaking out into the I received this as part of a Goodreads giveaway promotion. workplace from spending years in school.
Ivo Stoykov
Jan 23, 2014 Ivo Stoykov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: job
"Knock 'em Dead 2014" is a useful guide for job hunters. There are interesting ideas and solutions. Worth reading.
Christian Thompson
So far, I've found a few minor errors -- which I might've overlooked if they hadn't been in such close proximity to a section on communication skills.
Lauren
Nov 15, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Received this book via Goodreads giveaway. Full of helpful information and tips. Sure to get a good amount of use within my household.
Kate
Jun 01, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good info, and I'm sure it's a very helpful guide, but it had a slightly condescending tone to it that didn't quite sit right with me!
  • Resumes For Dummies
  • Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks, and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job
  • 101 Great Answers to Toughest Interview Questions
  • The 250 Job Interview Questions: You'll Most Likely Be Asked...and the Answers That Will Get You Hired!
  • Sewing 101: A Beginner's Guide to Sewing
  • Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer
  • Copyediting & Proofreading for Dummies
  • الكتاب الكبير للأشياء الصغيرة
  • The Unofficial Guide: Walt Disney World 2011
  • "Headhunter" Hiring Secrets: The Rules of the Hiring Game Have Changed . . . Forever!
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula: The Film and the Legend
  • Love at Last Sight: Thirty Days to Grow and Deepen Your Closest Relationships
  • I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This: A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Gratifying Work
  • Donny Deutsch's Big Idea: How To Make Your Entrepreneurial Dreams Come True, From The AHA Moment To Your First Million
  • The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy
  • Zingerman's Guide to Giving Great Service
  • Down to Earth: Nature's Role in American History
Publishes under both Martin Yate and Martin John Yate.
More about Martin Yate...

“Regardless of profession or title, at some level we are all hired to do the same job. We are all problem solvers, paid to anticipate, identify, prevent, and solve problems within our areas of expertise. This applies to any job, at any level, in any organization, anywhere in the world, and being aware of this is absolutely vital to job search and career success in any field.” 0 likes