Knock 'em Dead 2013: The Ultimate Job Search Guide

Knock 'em Dead 2013: The Ultimate Job Search Guide

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Take control of your career!For more than twenty-five years, "New York Times" bestselling author Martin Yate has shown the way for millions of job seekers. Now you can use his proven methods to put your job search and career back on track.

Updated for 2013, Yate delivers a blueprint for success in a time when hundreds of candidates are competing for the same position. He te...more
Published October 18th 2012 by Adams Media Corporation (first published August 15th 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Knock 'em Dead 2013, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knock 'em Dead 2013

Andrea Estelle
Knock ‘em Dead: The Ultimate Job Search Guide 2011

The Knock ‘em Dead series by Martin Yate has always been very popular in my library. This book is the newly updated version that gives the latest information on searching for jobs. It is a treasure trove of great ideas for a person looking for a job. Part 1 covers resume creation and job searching, Part 2 covers interviewing, Part 3 covers interviewing also, including how to answer the tough questions, and Part 4 covers how to follow-up, what to...more
Andy Mitchell
When I was a college student, I read What Color Is Your Parachute, a classic in job hunting advice.

Knock ‘em Dead is a worthy successor!

I received a free eBook copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for my unbiased review.

Because of the many internet resources available, I recommend purchasing the eBook format of this book.

Mr. Yate is a consummate professional and writes with great authority. No matter your job search needs, this book is written with you in mind.

The only area in which...more
Andrew
In Knock ‘Em Dead, Martin Yate teaches people how to get a job in today’s tough economy. You must have a professional brand in order to succeed and stand out from others. A good professional brand consists of your transferable skills, learned behaviors, and core values in the workplace. The book will show you how to write a resume that will look professional and will help you land the job. Yate gave wonderful tips on how to dress to impress your bosses for job interviews. He also included severa...more
Vernie
Globalization. Redundancy. Recession.

Change is constant and the workplace is dynamic. You are never so sure now a days if your job or your Company will still exist for years to come. In some point in our lives, we experience the job hunting process in order to find a new job, get a better salary/compensation or benefits.

But the job hunting process can be a nightmare or an opportunity to find a better pay scale. This guide book teaches you practical tips on job searching and how you can stand out...more
Julie H.
This was the singlemost useful book I consulted on my "carpet bomb" search for gainful permanent employment in a field I adore. Obviously, there are newer editions--and I'd recommend going with the most recent. The advice covers everything from preparation and research before the interview, to how to deal with the range of competent and hideously incompetent interviewers out there (sadly, they *dont'* know who they are), to practical advice for meals (with the possible exception of the directive...more
Rachel C
This is a good reference for re-entering the job market or brushing up on your skills. I was expecting it to be a better all-encompassing job hunting book, but it is lacking in the chapter on resumes. It spent too much time on developing and analyzing your skills, and too little on actual example resumes (probably so you'll buy the author's specialized book on resumes). Also, the book is geared more toward the sales industry. However, the book does provide substantial guidance on networking and...more
Melissa
Knock em Dead the Ultimate Job Search Guide 2011 the 25th Anniversary Edition by Martin Yate is a good book. I did learn a few things but for the most part I already knew a lot of what this book was about. I did like the way Martin Yate wrote about the Me Inc. It made me look at me in a different way. This book was a good reminder and refresher for me. There are several websites to go to for help he references, I thought that was good to include. I feel like this is an excellent book for a teach...more
Jt
Excellent overview for job searching. It includes resources, explanations about how to use them, and great tips on specific areas of concern within a job search. The website, however, didn't have much of what the book claims it has, such as the "What can I do with a degree database". Rather, the website was simply a marketing tool to get you to buy further help from the author.
Lisa Sanfilippo
A must for anyone looking for a job.
Heather
Jan 29, 2014 Heather marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Ron Meadows
Miranda Hall
THIS IS THE BOOK THAT GOT ME MY JOB, AND ESSETIALLY CHANGED MY LIFE. I recommned it to any and everyone looking to start a new job search endeavour.

Read it, let it resonate, follow it, conquer!

I read the book, followed the tips, the following week I had 12 interviews and mulitple offers.
The book breaks down any industry into the simplest terms as to how you fit in.
You're golden if you follow it....
Angela Blood
This book really stunk! I thought a lot of the advice given in the book was complete crap and I got the feeling that the jobs he was preparing you for were super high corporate jobs, which is not what I'm interested in at all. Also, it's never wise to lie about who you are or what you're calling about just to get to speak with somebody who can hire you... Not wise at all, Mr. Yate...
Garry
I thought this was a great book! I read it last year and used it to rewrite my resume, and I ended up getting a job a few weeks later after tapping into my network. I'd recommend this as a good resource for anyone looking to make a change or on the hunt for a job.
Amy
Very in-depth discussion on a lot of job-search subjects. I appreciated the attempt to link the book to the ever-expanding world of technology we live in but the lists of websites became distracting.
Rosslyn
If you are looking for a job then get this book! It really gives a job seeker a heads up on what to expect in tough interview situations. In today's market we need all the help we can get!
Elizabeth Flowers
Another book I purchased while in my own job search that I use in my daily work life. This book provides many examples of what NOT to do while you are seeking employment.
Faye B
Great book to read to answer all your job search questions from interviewing, what to wear at an interview, body language, resume, how to answer tough questions and more.
Ivo Stoykov
"Knock 'em Dead 2014" is a useful guide for job hunters. There are interesting ideas and solutions. Worth reading.
Christian Thompson
So far, I've found a few minor errors -- which I might've overlooked if they hadn't been in such close proximity to a section on communication skills.
Kate
Good info, and I'm sure it's a very helpful guide, but it had a slightly condescending tone to it that didn't quite sit right with me!
Ebonee Younger SPHR
Martin Yate is absolutely the go to expert for landing a great gig. I've used his manuals in my two most recent searches.
Schu
I own an earlier edition, but regardless, it is a must for your library if you ever seek employment and go to interviews.
Doug
Dec 14, 2013 Doug marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I feel like i've been knocked and left for almost dead--so i guess reading this and other stuff is worth a shot, eh?
Catherine
looking for a job? this is the best book out there. a wealth of good information on how to find one and land it.
Belia
The Knock 'em Dead series offers the most helpful and useful career advice I have ever read.
Michael
Exhaustive and clear--a very good place to start a job search. I recommend it.
Melissa
Apr 20, 2009 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes!
Well, if I only could get an interview I know I would knock them out from the skills I learned from this book.
J. Benjimin
J. Benjimin marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Publishes under both Martin Yate and Martin John Yate.
More about Martin Yate...
Hiring the Best: A Manager's Guide to Effective Interviewing & Recruiting Knock 'em Dead Job Interview: How to Turn Job Interviews Into Job Offers Knock 'em Dead Resumes: How to Write a Killer Resume That Gets You Job Interviews Resumes That Knock 'em Dead Knock 'em Dead Cover Letters: Features the Latest Information on: Online Postings, Email Techniques, and Follow-up Strategies (Cover Letters That Knock 'em Dead)