Start by marking “Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit” as Want to Read:
Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit

Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  445 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Published May 18th 2012 by Betterway Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag

Jubilation Lee
So in honor of the world ending today, I picked up a copy of Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag, just in case it wasn’t an immediate end-of-the-world scenario but more of a slow, scavenging-in-the-wilds kind of doomsday.

Of course I’d already prepared to a certain degree. Last night I was scouring the shelves at my local grocery store, purchasing ONLY THE ESSENTIALS for survival. Like a family-size box of Cheese-Its. And several bottles of Diet Coke. And bleach, because Hollywood really drilled home t
Reed
Nov 17, 2014 Reed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: survival
I absolutely love this book. Creek Stewart has written many books about bugging out, but this one is the first one I have purchased. The sections are very well organized, and the descriptions clear and concise. His lists of equipment are also very well organized, and his recommendations are on-point. Five stars!
William Parham
Jan 13, 2016 William Parham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, preparedness, 2016
This is definitely one of the best books on the subject. I've read more comprehensive books, but there aren't many so well laid out.

Creek is a well informed educator who's actually done the legwork to be an authority on survival techniques. He also doesn't seem to be a gun-hugging wackjob with a political agenda to push. He also keeps the Jesus stuff to a bare minimum. His faith is obviously important to him, but he gets that his faith might not be your faith (or, lack thereof). A real boon in
Kelly Delph
Mar 11, 2016 Kelly Delph rated it liked it
Ah, lists. They so appeal to my OCD self. I read this along side another, broader book on how to prepare for the end of the world as we know it, aka TEOTWAWKI.
Good book, but I'm glad I live where and how this doesn't matter to me. I can walk home from work if I have to (though I'd rather not, since it would take all the daylight hours in March.) I live someplace that most folks would be trying to GET TO if TEOTWAWKI occurred.
Beau Johnston
Mar 10, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, survival
This book is a fantastic start for anyone who wants to be prepared in an emergency situation.

"But I don't live in an area that's likely to be hit by (insert excuse here)". That doesn't matter. You might live in area that experiences natural disasters such as flood, bushfire, earthquakes, tornadoes or cyclones. It doesn't matter what form the emergency takes, you need to do your preparation long before the disaster hits.

It's too late to pack a suitcase and grab some food once a disaster has occur
Kay
Mar 29, 2016 Kay rated it it was amazing
Although it's impossible to anticipate everything, this book provides thoughtful and thorough information with plenty of illustrations and references for further study. I always learn useful things reading or watching Creek Stewart (Fat Guys in the Woods plus plenty of videos on the internet). This book covers Bug Out Bags (to the uninitiated, what to pack in a disaster/emergency when one has to leave home and get to safety-- hopefully within 72 hours-- when conditions are terrible). Not everyth ...more
David Gilmore
Jun 14, 2016 David Gilmore rated it really liked it
Let me start off by saying that this is the first Bug Out/disaster preparedness book I've ever read - so I have nothing else to compare it to at this point. With that said, I took a tremendous amount of information from it. Creek does a great job of focusing on the items you need to make sure you have with you in the event you need to bug out. The thing I appreciated most was that he did it in a very matter of fact manner and kept some of the apocalyptic tone out of it that you may run into from ...more
Lynda Coker
Aug 25, 2012 Lynda Coker rated it it was amazing
Disaster can strike at any time. We've seen that in terrorist attacks worldwide. We also experience dangerous weather patterns that can destroy our neighborhoods and cause us displacement problems in just a matter of hours.

In view of these things, it would be reasonable on our part to be prepared to the fullest extent possible. But where does one start? What items are necessary?

Don't worry! Creek Stewart has covered all the important areas we need to know about in his book, BUILD THE PERFECT BUG
Robin Edman
Jun 29, 2016 Robin Edman rated it it was amazing
Incredibly helpful, as it helped me to stop obsessing about the bag itself. I'm gonna say no on a few things in there (the pack goat is a little extreme, and the KIodide solves a problem that I don't want to survive). But, really, on the whole, this book is filled with useful suggestions and sources and explanations. I'm still not totally at peace with my BOB, but I'm closer.
Katie
Jun 08, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
Obviously I'm not an expert - that's why I read this book - so I can't provide an outside verification of the thoroughness of Stewart's advice. Having said that, my perception is that it is very thorough. Stewart lays everything out in an organized manner that makes sense for us noobs. He details several different options, gives his preferred items or recommended gear, and explains why he chose this piece over that piece. Overall, it gives you an in-depth look, but without overwhelming you with ...more
Andrew Crouthamel
Apr 25, 2014 Andrew Crouthamel rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book on survival bags. I wish it had some checklists, but otherwise perfect. Explains each category of item you need, gives several example items and different ways to do the same thing. Offers product suggestions, websites to check out, etc. Very thorough and large book compared to others. If you get one book on survival bags, get this one!
LaDonna
Nov 16, 2014 LaDonna rated it really liked it
This book was very informative. Except for the grammatical errors, which were many, the book was well written and organized. It had many URLs that pointed me in the right directions for products and information. I enjoyed it courtesy of my local library, but plan to make it part of my personal library.
Tiger Williams
I have no previous experience in this type of material but I found the book very well organized and well researched. So not being much of an outdoors-men I can't say if it is something an experience backpacker would need to read. But with that said I would recommend this book.
Kennedy Williams
Excellent Overview

This is an excellent resource for getting started with building your Bug Out Bag. Lots of nice tips, told in an honest and straight-forward fashion, that will get you a very nice BOB and Bug Out Plan. Highly recommended.
Damon Moran
Jan 30, 2015 Damon Moran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really good book

I enjoyed the book. It had lots of good info and I really appreciated the lists and also the recommendations.
Tricia
Mar 03, 2015 Tricia rated it really liked it
Not that I'm looking forward to another hurricane season, but at least I feel a little more prepared if I decide to evacuate.
John
Dec 18, 2012 John rated it really liked it
This book is a great blue print on setting up a 72 hour Bug out Bag. It details the equipment needed and how to use them along with how to store them in the bag. It also steps further beyond the bag and suggest basic surveil planning in case of some natural or other disasters. I definitely recommend this for anyone looking to take some proactive safety measures. On a personal note with recent climate changes and uncertainty in the political arena I have chosen to live be the words I rather have ...more
Brian
Aug 21, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
Good book with some great practical information. I got some ideas to make my pack even better.
Logan
Jan 28, 2014 Logan rated it really liked it
Great book to get one thinking about survival and what would happen in time of a disaster. Lots of very practical information here.
Jeff
Jul 03, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Well organized book with valuable information. As the author states at the start of the book, there are very few times that it will be beneficial to evacuate your home. However, some disasters require that staying is simply not safe. Creek completes the book discussing how even the best BOB (bug out bag) is only a fraction of what you need for a successful evacaution. Creek describes skills you can develop and plans to make to have a stressful / dangerous time, become less so.
Luke
Oct 04, 2012 Luke rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the most important books I've ever read. Everyone should either own a copy or be familiar with the topic. You never know when disaster will strike and do the best thing you can do is to be prepared. This book will help you build a top-notch Bug Out bag.

It's chock-full of helpful links, topics, and exercises, in addition to the primary info about your Bag.

Great read.
Jens
Oct 21, 2013 Jens rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for what I got out of it. I went into this book trying to gain insight into the prepper culture, and I got out of the book some great camping / hiking ideas. It led to my next read which was a The Ultimate Hikers Gear Guide by Andrew Skurka, which was a more insightful book for my purposes.
Scott Joseph
May 11, 2013 Scott Joseph rated it it was amazing
Creek Stewart advises a common sense approach to putting together basic supplies in the case of disaster. As we live in Tornado prone North Texas we are putting together two backpacks with enough supplies to last a few days. Creek also teaches some valuable skills that will come in handy when I next go camping.
Lee Peacock
Jun 07, 2012 Lee Peacock rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It reminded me of several military-style survival manuals I've read except this one addressed a very specific topic, that is, how to properly assemble and use a "bug out bag." I recommend this book to people interested in being better prepared for hurricanes and other disasters.
Jon
Jun 21, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
I liked the book and the advice that he had for creating a 72-hour kit. There were quite a few typos, including an unfortunate (but funny) one involving a wench instead of a winch, but overlooking that, the info was very helpful. I'll be redoing my kit based on his suggestions.
Slmstanley
Sep 15, 2012 Slmstanley rated it really liked it
Very useful for those of us who live in areas where disaster bags are a good idea! What to include, what to exclude, and how to think about your needs before the most likely disaster strikes.
April
Apr 14, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Be ready for the zombie apocalypse, extinction level meteor shower or any other end of the world scenario. Or just be ready when the power goes out for a couple hours!!!!!
Scott Foley
May 01, 2014 Scott Foley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-reads
quick read and very useful. It took me about 2 hours to go through the whole book, or you can jump straight to the back for the bare essencials list of stuff you need.
Sheila Fern
Nov 18, 2014 Sheila Fern rated it really liked it
Really thorough! Lots of helpful ideas for backpacking. The author provides many low-cost alternatives and gives really good resources for finding equipment.
Eric
Jun 22, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
Great basic/introductory book on how to build a 72-hour bag. Loved the inclusion of online survival resources and shops to get the recommended items.
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • How to Survive Anything, Anywhere: A Handbook of Survival Skills for Every Scenario and Environment
  • Survival Mom: How to Prepare Your Family for Everyday Disasters and Worst-Case Scenarios
  • The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques 	  Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques
  • US Army Survival Manual
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • SAS Urban Survival Handbook (SAS Survival (HarperCollins))
  • The Survival Handbook: Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
  • Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual: Essential Strategies For: Shelter and Water, Food and Fire, Tools and Medicine, Navigation and Signaling, Survival Psychology and Getting Out Alive!
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills