Start by marking “Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit” as Want to Read:
Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit

Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Published May 18th 2012 by Betterway Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag

Monica!
So in honor of the world ending today, I picked up a copy of Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag, just in case it wasn’t an immediate end-of-the-world scenario but more of a slow, scavenging-in-the-wilds kind of doomsday.

Of course I’d already prepared to a certain degree. Last night I was scouring the shelves at my local grocery store, purchasing ONLY THE ESSENTIALS for survival. Like a family-size box of Cheese-Its. And several bottles of Diet Coke. And bleach, because Hollywood really drilled home t
JonSnow
Can't complain! This book gives a VERY detailed guide for what you need in a Bug Out Bag as well as a vast number of hints and tips. This is an excellent book! It has lists in the back the bring everything you read together coherently, and recommended places to purchase things, as well as various books and online sources of additional information. It doesn't teach you how to sew, or first aid, or how to fish, or hunt etc. This is simply a guide for what you need to do to prepare yourself. There ...more
Beau Johnston
This book is a fantastic start for anyone who wants to be prepared in an emergency situation.

"But I don't live in an area that's likely to be hit by (insert excuse here)". That doesn't matter. You might live in area that experiences natural disasters such as flood, bushfire, earthquakes, tornadoes or cyclones. It doesn't matter what form the emergency takes, you need to do your preparation long before the disaster hits.

It's too late to pack a suitcase and grab some food once a disaster has occur
Lynda Coker
Disaster can strike at any time. We've seen that in terrorist attacks worldwide. We also experience dangerous weather patterns that can destroy our neighborhoods and cause us displacement problems in just a matter of hours.

In view of these things, it would be reasonable on our part to be prepared to the fullest extent possible. But where does one start? What items are necessary?

Don't worry! Creek Stewart has covered all the important areas we need to know about in his book, BUILD THE PERFECT BUG
Andrew Crouthamel
Fantastic book on survival bags. I wish it had some checklists, but otherwise perfect. Explains each category of item you need, gives several example items and different ways to do the same thing. Offers product suggestions, websites to check out, etc. Very thorough and large book compared to others. If you get one book on survival bags, get this one!
Kennedy Williams
Excellent Overview

This is an excellent resource for getting started with building your Bug Out Bag. Lots of nice tips, told in an honest and straight-forward fashion, that will get you a very nice BOB and Bug Out Plan. Highly recommended.
John
This book is a great blue print on setting up a 72 hour Bug out Bag. It details the equipment needed and how to use them along with how to store them in the bag. It also steps further beyond the bag and suggest basic surveil planning in case of some natural or other disasters. I definitely recommend this for anyone looking to take some proactive safety measures. On a personal note with recent climate changes and uncertainty in the political arena I have chosen to live be the words I rather have ...more
Logan
Great book to get one thinking about survival and what would happen in time of a disaster. Lots of very practical information here.
Jeff
Well organized book with valuable information. As the author states at the start of the book, there are very few times that it will be beneficial to evacuate your home. However, some disasters require that staying is simply not safe. Creek completes the book discussing how even the best BOB (bug out bag) is only a fraction of what you need for a successful evacaution. Creek describes skills you can develop and plans to make to have a stressful / dangerous time, become less so.
Luke
Probably one of the most important books I've ever read. Everyone should either own a copy or be familiar with the topic. You never know when disaster will strike and do the best thing you can do is to be prepared. This book will help you build a top-notch Bug Out bag.

It's chock-full of helpful links, topics, and exercises, in addition to the primary info about your Bag.

Great read.
Jens
I enjoyed this book for what I got out of it. I went into this book trying to gain insight into the prepper culture, and I got out of the book some great camping / hiking ideas. It led to my next read which was a The Ultimate Hikers Gear Guide by Andrew Skurka, which was a more insightful book for my purposes.
Scott Joseph
Creek Stewart advises a common sense approach to putting together basic supplies in the case of disaster. As we live in Tornado prone North Texas we are putting together two backpacks with enough supplies to last a few days. Creek also teaches some valuable skills that will come in handy when I next go camping.
Lee Peacock
I enjoyed this book. It reminded me of several military-style survival manuals I've read except this one addressed a very specific topic, that is, how to properly assemble and use a "bug out bag." I recommend this book to people interested in being better prepared for hurricanes and other disasters.
Jon
I liked the book and the advice that he had for creating a 72-hour kit. There were quite a few typos, including an unfortunate (but funny) one involving a wench instead of a winch, but overlooking that, the info was very helpful. I'll be redoing my kit based on his suggestions.
Slmstanley
Very useful for those of us who live in areas where disaster bags are a good idea! What to include, what to exclude, and how to think about your needs before the most likely disaster strikes.
April
Be ready for the zombie apocalypse, extinction level meteor shower or any other end of the world scenario. Or just be ready when the power goes out for a couple hours!!!!!
Scott Foley
quick read and very useful. It took me about 2 hours to go through the whole book, or you can jump straight to the back for the bare essencials list of stuff you need.
Eric
Great basic/introductory book on how to build a 72-hour bag. Loved the inclusion of online survival resources and shops to get the recommended items.
Trung
Good book to read if you're even thinking about making a bug out bag, whether it be for a natural disaster or the zombie apocalypse.
Curtis Adkins
A go to guide to prep for disasters of all kinds. However, more specifics on types of bug-outs would be helpful.
Juan Castro
Covers the basics and some more... good book if you don't know anything about the subject.
Jill
Jan 03, 2013 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Good information, clearly presented. Avoids sensationalism and doomsday declarations.
Steve Spaulding
Some really great practical advice to prepare yourself in the event of an emergency.
reading about disaster planing is strangely comforting...
Chuck Trimble
Very well organized and informative!
Craig
Great book. Creek focused on one particular item of preparedness and nailed it in all aspects. Welcome addition to any preppers library. Lots of photos/checklists/tips to help a beginner to an expert. Pick up today and I think you will enjoy!
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Amanda Ash
Amanda Ash marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • US Army Survival Manual
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • The Backyard Homestead Guide To Raising Farm Animals
  • Survival Mom: How to Prepare Your Family for Everyday Disasters and Worst-Case Scenarios
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
  • How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
The Unofficial Hunger Games Wilderness Survival Guide STUCK: A Survival Short Story Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle Build the Perfect Bug Out Vehicle: The Disaster Survival Vehicle Guide Build the Perfect Bug Out Survival Skills: Your Guide to Emergency Wilderness Survival