Start by marking “Chasing A Blond Moon (Woods Cop, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chasing A Blond Moon (Woods Cop, #3)

Chasing A Blond Moon (Woods Cop Mysteries #3)

Once again, Grady Service, the hard-boiled Conservation Officer of this superb series set in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, has a weird case on his hands. Strange things are happening to the black bear population. Grady Service can't pin this phenomenon to anyone or anything until a Korea-born professor from Michigan Tech is murdered by cyanide-laced figs and two freeze-dried ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Lyons Press (first published August 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing A Blond Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing A Blond Moon

Ed
Sep 13, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Woods Cop series. This series just gets better. Conservation Officer Grady Service continues his torrid relationship with the beautiful, talented, well-to-do Maridly Nantz. He discovers that he has a son from a short-lived marriage with a woman who was later killed on 9/11. The son has an indifferent stepfather, so he and Maridly encounter no objections to serving as his guardians as he begins college and pursues hockey in his father's footsteps. The Blond Moon in the title is the name ...more
Steve Kunitzer
Sep 10, 2016 Steve Kunitzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very entertaining story about the trials and tribulations of Grady Service; Conservation Officer [Detective] in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The main plot-line regarding the "blond moon" or "yellow bear" is a little thin and didn't seem to grab my interest but the incidental encounters [man that guy is everywhere!] help package the scenarios along enough to maintain interest; the trips to Wisconsin, the added characters [the Wisconsin CO is hilarious], the "new" son as a hockey prodigy ...more
Jose' Brown
Apr 03, 2016 Jose' Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grady Service DNR officer assigned to the UP nature police and my fictional hero. He is true to nature and his woman. Afraid of dogs shows his flaws but not his lack of character. I'm so thankful Sandy Chavez, Laingburg's greatest librarian talked me into reading Joseph Heywood....."the UP's answer to Ernest Hemingway and a MSU grad"

This story line twists state politics and global greed of the "black" bear market into a thriller. The story also provided some little known facts, Marquette County
Thom Jones
Aug 23, 2010 Thom Jones rated it liked it
I had read Taxi Dancer and The Berkut around twenty years ago. The Woods Cop Mystery series is different reading, not better but and more to my personal taste and interests. A myriad of characters are developed; at times I had to go back to reacqaint myself with some, but most are memorable. The setting, Michigan's upper peninsula is familiar which helps to place and picture the action. I'll be reading more of the series.
Marlene
Dec 31, 2015 Marlene rated it really liked it
This is the first book I read of the Wood Cop series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was fun to imagine the U.P. places he wrote about since I travelled in those areas this past summer. The story was interesting enough and the characters well defined. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys stories about Michigan, wildlife and the outdoors, and the interesting life of a conservation officer.
Eric
Apr 20, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting new characters are introduced in this third novel in the Woods Cop series. At times it seems like Heywood is having Grady Service approach - but not quite reach - a Mel Gibson level of physical punishment in the line of duty. Still, I enjoy the action, the characters and most especially the locations. The biggest bombshell in this story occurs in the prologue, but, trust me, keep going.
Tina
Jan 18, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, outdoors
I'm a big fan of this series, great characters wonderful descriptions of an area I've never heard a lot about but fell like I could hop out of my 'truck' and know exactly where I am in the 'UP'. For people new to this series it has the feel of Michael Connelly's police procedurals Bosch series 'Gone Bush'.
Donna Fowler
Oct 23, 2015 Donna Fowler rated it really liked it
I had a hard time putting this book down long enough to do things like sleep or eat. One thing I wil say. If you have a hard time with names you might want to keep a running account of the characters because there are a lot of them in this book and I found myself trying to remember where Service had interacted with the person before in the book.
Dee
Oct 21, 2010 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the woods cop series. I love the Michigan upper peninsula woods descriptions. Good mystery stories, descriptions of many kinds of people. Many of the incidents are based on real life happenings according to the author.
Dave
Apr 28, 2013 Dave rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the four I've read so far. Complex, but tightly crafted storyline. Lots of interesting minor characters that seem worth developing as well. This series continues to hit several sweet spots for me - the U.P., fly fishing, hunting, and a general disregard for social propriety.
Andrew Middlestead
Aug 29, 2011 Andrew Middlestead rated it liked it
The 3rd book in the Woods Cop series was just okay. It wasn't nearly as quick moving or interesting as the first two. There were a few new characters introduced which we good, and some interesting insites into the Allerdyce clan. Otherwise is was just so so.
Barbara
Aug 25, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, michigan
This book is a great read, lots of great characters and descriptions of the famous UP. It would get five stars, but it ended on quite a political note, real people thinly disguised as fictional characters. In addition, I felt dissatisfied with the main plot, which seemed too contrived.
Bryan
Jan 01, 2016 Bryan rated it really liked it
Took me a long time to get through this one, no reflection on the book, I was just busy with other stuff. Very entertaining read! Wonderful writing style. Good characterizations and a great setting. Joseph Haywood is on my list of favorite authors. I look forward to reading the rest of this series.
Chandra
May 06, 2009 Chandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
i really enjoyed this book. i don't know that i'll ever give a mystery five stars, but i will definitely be looking for more by this author.
Christina
Jul 28, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one, perhaps even more than the first in the series. Also, totally great that I was in the UP while reading the book!
Susan
Dec 07, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Two long, way too many characters and plotlines. The ending was rushed and everything tied up way too quickly as though the author had reached the end of his allotted pages and had to wrap things up.
Janice
Oct 02, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
Another good addition to this series, this one to do with illegal bear poaching in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Terrance
Jul 28, 2016 Terrance rated it really liked it
interesting twist to the Grady Service series. The story line between him and Nantz, gets a little old. It also didn't flow like the last ones
Hrn1947
Apr 30, 2012 Hrn1947 rated it liked it
Does this guy ever win a fight? and at what cost? the son was a change of pace. not sure you could hang with a guy like Grady. the cooking is reminesent of spencer in the early days.
Jim Franklin
Jim Franklin rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2011
Betty J. Bramblett
Betty J. Bramblett rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Nicolas Moreno
Nicolas Moreno rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
Sue Boardman
Sue Boardman rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Paul Winston
Paul Winston rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
RichardM
RichardM rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Terri Gorden
Terri Gorden rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
  • The Skeleton Box (Starvation Lake, #3)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Wolf, No Wolf
  • The Edge of Justice
  • Before She Dies
  • The Beautiful Truth
  • Blood Memory (A Catherine McLeod Mystery)
  • The Contrary Blues
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)