Start by marking “Tintin in the New World” as Want to Read:
Tintin in the New World

Tintin in the New World

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  408 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In this imaginative novel by Frederick Tuten, the author has dared to reimagine Tintin; the central character from Belgian artist Herge's comic book series, The Adventures of Tintin. In this story, Tintin, world traveler and reporter is once again joined by his fellow adventurers , Captain Haddock and his dog Snowy as they travel to the Inca city of Machu Picchu in Peru wh ...more
Published June 23rd 2005 by Black Classic Press, Inprint Editions (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Tintin in the New World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tintin in the New World

Jasmine
Jan 02, 2011 Jasmine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: facists and people who like magic mountain
Shelves: american
This book is super reminiscent of magic mountain, and on actually thinking about it, was the reason I even tried to read magic mountain. I'm as a rule not great at remembering character names, so I didn't realize that the book was using the supporting cast of magic mountain (in fact I couldn't even tell you the name of the main character from magic mountain). But about 30 pages in I thought to myself this writing is really very reminiscent of magic mountain.

This book is what would happen if you
Reza
Oct 31, 2007 Reza rated it did not like it
Watching your childhood heroes to grow up, feel ennui, fornicate for the first time, and die isn't much fun. Reading Tintin in the New World was like finding out Santa was really my mom, the tooth fairy didn't pay out for self-pulled teeth, and life really wasn't fair. Give me Tintin, Captain Haddock, and Snowy sitting in Marlinspike locked forever in their agelessness. For those who want serious haute literature then read this thing. I for one shall regress and take my ageless, untroubled Tinti ...more
Hákon Gunnarsson
Tintin by Hergé was one of my favorite childhood characters, but once I was grown up I realized that he really seems to be a teenager with an adult job, and adult life. He is grown up, and he is not grown up. There seems to be a contradiction in the character.

I somehow got it into my head that Tuten was going to explore this unusual nature of Tintin, yank him into adulthood so to speak, and because I was such a fan of Tintin as a kid I was interested in seeing what he could do with it.

I have to
Brent Legault
Jun 13, 2008 Brent Legault rated it it was ok
I knew I was in trouble when on page 13, the author has Milou say: Seldom hear Tintin talk so much. I like him better when he's chasing villains or getting out of a scrape. I nodded my head toward the page. I felt the same way.

Actually, I had my doubts about this novel from the opening paragraph. It was there that I noticed Tuten's curious lack of care for the written word. And perhaps he noticed it too, for he inserted a long passage by James M. Cain in his Chapter One.

I only made it through C
D.A.Calf
I need to read this again.
Sammy
Aug 02, 2011 Sammy rated it liked it
Shelves: modern
My review, as published in Tintin Books

Frederic Tuten, a literature professor and author, first wrote this book in 1993. It is something of an academic treatise, using Tintin as a symbol who is here thrust from the confines of Marlinspike into adulthood and the real world: a place where political and aesthetical discussions are far more complex than he can understand. (Although any serious "Tintin" fan will acknowledge that there is actually quite a lot of complexity in much of Herge's ideology.
Rhys
Jan 02, 2016 Rhys rated it really liked it
I thought this was a magnificent novel, a philosophical wonderpiece with beautiful writing and wry humour. I understand that some fans of the Tintin character don't like this book very much; perhaps they feel it violates the spirit of Hergé's original; but I don't think it does.

Yes, it is a postmodernist work, and parody is essential to postmodernism, and parody can often been seen as mocking and therefore offensive. But at no point in this novel is Tintin turned into a travesty of what he was i
Bill
Sep 23, 2007 Bill rated it did not like it
An attempt to take a serious, more "artistic" look at beloved Belgian kids' adventure comic character Tintin, but it doesn't work all that well because A.) you have to be incredibly well-versed in Tintin going into this to really appreciate it; and B.) you have to be the sort of person who can read a 100+ page dream sequence and actually think it wasn't a colossal waste of time.
Floyd Clemens
Apr 24, 2016 Floyd Clemens rated it really liked it
Reminded me, sort-of, of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383028/

Thought this sentence to be funny, decidedly-so: "Tintin," Clavdia whispers, kneeling beside the bed, "you are so strange, so hairless."

Liked this section, in a Kerouac-way: "Welcome to South American, continent of contrasts and romance - not my kind of territory at first, hard and gritty and tough on the liver for a pure white man, yet once it got in your blood, you couldn't get over it even if you lived five lives more, because that
Allegra
Dec 20, 2011 Allegra rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Well-written but too in love with its allegory and obtuse devices. 80 page dream sequence? 30 page speech utilizing quotes within quotes within quotes? Ugh. Recommended most and perhaps only to people who've read The Magic Mountain or similarly experimental fiction as this borrows heavily from that afaik.
Pranabesh Sinha
Jan 23, 2015 Pranabesh Sinha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I gave up on reading this book when I found even Snowy waxes philosophical.
My main problem was I couldn't identify the voice of the character who was speaking.
In a comic you can see who is saying a line which avoids the need to provide each character with a unique voice, but in a novel if a few characters are talking at once it is important to either establish this or use Tintin said or Snowy said to demarcate the dialogue.
Tuten didn't do this, what is worse each and every character is an expert
sophie
Jul 12, 2008 sophie rated it liked it
This book about Tintin's budding sexuality is weird in places and illuminatingly allegorical in others. You can't give a 2.5 rating on Goodreads, otherwise I would have split my score evenly between the jems and refuse of this novel.
Line
Oct 22, 2014 Line rated it really liked it
It was not at all what i expected, but i really liked it, though it was a little strange...
John
Apr 07, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
A very distinctive and enjoyable tale.
Christine
Oct 28, 2012 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, literary
Peter Greenwell
Feb 02, 2016 Peter Greenwell rated it did not like it
Actually read this book years ago, just adding it today for posterity.

I didn't like it. If there's one character in this world who doesn't need postmodernist deconstruction, it's Tintin. Captain Haddock didn't need to be put through the po-mo grinder either.
Tim Love
Apr 18, 2016 Tim Love rated it it was ok
I liked chapter X - a stand-alone dream. Elsewhere there are too many long, tedious monologues. A missed opportunity. I thought Captain Haddock would turn out to be his father.
Sep 09, 2013 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: biblioteca, 2013
Dolent és poc. Fins i tot horrible es queda curt a l'hora de descriure aquest llibre. No val la pena ni molestar-se a obrir-lo.

Jo esperava retrobar-m'hi l'amic Tintín, el que anava amb en Milú i tota la resta. I sí, hi apareixen. Però només de nom. Aquest intent de llibre només agafa el nom d'en Tintín i li dóna una personalitat completament diferent. El llibre no té ni solta ni volta: entre les converses avorrides i sense sentit i moments en què l'autor sembla que s'hagi fumat alguna cosa i h
Lisa Houlihan
Aug 09, 2014 Lisa Houlihan added it
Shelves: novel, male
Tintin! So when I happened across it, knowing nothing about it, I picked it up. It started out well, with Snowy having thoughtful asides and Tintin not knowing what to make of James N. Cain. That amused me because Camus called Cain an influence, which baffles me.

If there are cultural references besides Tintin that would help it make sense, I didn't get them. Also I was sure it was in translation and I just wasn't getting the frainchness of the style. The copyright page doesn't cite a translatio
Lee
Nov 22, 2014 Lee rated it did not like it
Just terrible......a crime has been committed in the literary world!
Ian Rogers
Jan 23, 2014 Ian Rogers rated it it was ok
As a life-long fan of Tintin, I found this interesting, if a bit heavy handed in plot construction, and rife with downright unwieldy dialogue. I'm not convinced I'd pick up another book by Tuten based on this one.
Matthew
Aug 05, 2012 Matthew rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
I am not sure what was the point of this book. I was expecting a satire or a deconstruction or some kind of examination of the character but is stead found...what? I don't even know. Long passages where boring characters discuss empty ideas. This book seemed to have nothing to do with Tintin. It did not use the character in any interesting way. It was really a waste because the character of Tintin is so particular and has such a rich history of adventures it might have been interesting to see hi ...more
Lise
Feb 08, 2016 Lise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great idea and such a disappointing book.
Bryce
Aug 26, 2007 Bryce rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, mostly because the man who read it is one of my bosses at my internship. However, I think a lot of it was lost on me because I've never read Tintin before. I would imgaine I would appreciate it a lot more had I read that first. Some of it is interesting, but a lot of it takes on a talky/preachy tone that got pretty old. A cool idea that wasn't executed that well, I thought.
Marten
I just did not like the book that much. As a huge fan of Tintin I struggled with the idea that the Captain and everyone else felt the need to find Tintin a mate. I also found the language used to be too unlike these characters that I already love. I respect what the author was trying to do, but I just could not accept it based on my childhood image of Tintin and the other characters.
Zedder
Mar 20, 2007 Zedder rated it it was ok
The only good part of this book is the experience of reading the first few pages, in which you realize just how weird it is to imagine Tintin as a full-blooded human being with sexual desires, etc. Beyond the weirdness of that initial shock, however, this book is pretty worthless.
Long Vo
Feb 10, 2010 Long Vo rated it did not like it
This book is like having a childhood icon character like Big Bird debate about The deductive-nomological model of philosophy, then go descriptive in the sex scenes while being poetic and confused....
Liz
Mar 09, 2011 Liz rated it it was ok
this is the kind of thing that I normally really hate but for some reason I kind of liked it. it still only gets two stars, it's just too pretentious and reactionary for me to give it more.
Mike
Apr 10, 2009 Mike rated it liked it
I read this in two sittings, it was enthralling. It is a nice (read pedestrian) comment on post-modernism but the story telling, the setting and the characters are first rate.
Ty
Apr 17, 2010 Ty rated it did not like it
Weird. HIghbrow-ing up a cartoon character is conceited but whatever, just please don't do it to my childhood heroes. No one wins when Tintin starts considering eating Snowy.
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • The Far Side Observer
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Stories for the Heart-The Original Collection: 110 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
Frederic Tuten is the author of Tintin in the New World, The Green Hour, and Self Portraits, among other fiction. He has received a Guggenheim fellowship and an American Academy of Arts and Letters Award for Distinguished Writing. He lives in New York City."
More about Frederic Tuten...

“I loved him in the way young people are mad for those they wish to resemble.” 5 likes