Start by marking “Schlangen im Paradies” as Want to Read:
Schlangen im Paradies

Schlangen im Paradies (Alvirah and Willy #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  11,381 Ratings  ·  256 Reviews
In der luxuriösen Umgebung einer exklusiven Schönheitsfarm versucht eine junge Schauspielerin, Klarheit zu gewinnen über den plötzlichen Tod ihrer Schwester. Aber hinter den Fassaden dieses idyllischen Landsitzes lauert das Unheil. Elizabeth gerät in einen Strudel von gefährlichen Ereignissen, die nicht nur ihr Leben bedrohen...
Published 1999 by Wilhelm Heyne (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Schlangen im Paradies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schlangen im Paradies

Ashleigh
Aug 17, 2009 Ashleigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Ashleigh by: Mother
Celina
Apr 01, 2013 Celina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel was my first foray into Mary Higgins Clark, and my expectations were pretty high considering she is well known for being the queen of suspense. I didn't find this book to be all that suspenseful or mysterious though, so I was disappointed. I'm not all that clever, and even I had the killer pegged from the beginning! I feel like this book was formulaic and very much like all the other books being produced by the likes of John Saul, Dean Koontz, Stuart Woods, and Heather Graham.

That sa
Kavita
May 21, 2015 Kavita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A woman is dead and before her trial starts, a bunch of her former friends gather together at a spa, including her sister, the star witness and the fiance Ted, the man on trial for her murder. The killer is apprehended at the end. The premise is interesting enough and the suspense is sustained throughout the book, especially since everyone has something to hide and people keep lying in order to protect themselves or someone else. The author also introduced Alvirah Meehan in this book, who goes o ...more
Amanda McGill
May 20, 2016 Amanda McGill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, 2016
Not the best novel by Mary Higgins Clark.

I was surprised by the number of similarities between Weep No More, My Lady and one of Higgins Clark's newest novels All Dressed in White even though there is almost 30 years between them.

A superstar celebrity, Leila LaSalla, was killed after being throw off a balcony. Her fiancé is the prime suspect, while her sister, Elizabeth, is one of the witnesses. Before trial begin, like the rick and famous do, all her Leila's friends gather together at a spa.

O
Ashley Haley
Somewhere around 3.5 stars... About half way through I thought I had it figured out and was disappointed that it was so easy, but alas in the last 40 pages or so the plot thickened and the ending did take me by surprise.
Bea
A very 80s book but it held up fairly well. The romance, which was slight, was not believable but the mystery was nicely done except for the motive. That was hinted at but should have been fleshed out a bit more.
Rachel
Aug 21, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. I had a lot of buildup to it because I'd heard about Mary Higgins Clark my whole life thanks to Gram :). I had anticipated it being a little creepier but maybe there are others that have a bit more of the scare factor to it. I guessed correctly early on, switched my answer halfway through and then about 3/4 of the way in I called it for sure. She did do a good job of making it seem like everyone was capable of it and yet not capable of it at the same time. Although ...more
Faouzia
May 26, 2015 Faouzia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read many books by Mary Higgins Clarck, some i liked, others not really! This one is really great!!
I enjoyed the story a lot, and it's one of her best thrillers.

Leila LaSalla, a famous actress, is murdrered and her fiancé, a rich businessman, is accused of her murder. Her sister, Elizabeth Lange, is the main witness to this accusation. She is invited to Cypress Point Spa, where she find herself surrounded by many friends that all seem to have some hidden secrets regarding her sister!

As the sto
Jessica
Nov 09, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marj
Aug 26, 2013 Marj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Lauren S.
Mar 24, 2011 Lauren S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favortie mystery books. I never saw the end coming. And thats what makes it great. Its full of twists and turn ands secrets that keep you guessing. It is extremely well done to make the ending exciting. This also makes the rest of the book suspenseful with clues about different characters dropped here and there.
It also draws you in because of the beginning. The young life/conditions lived in it displays for these girls is deplorable really at best. But then they get out and w
Sridhar Babu
AUTHOR
Mary Higgins Clark..
Location..
New York..Cypress point Spa Pebble Beach California..
Characters..
Elizabeth Lange, Leila LaSalle, Ted Winters, Syd, Cheryl, Craig, Scott, Min ,Helmut,ALvirah Meehan
PLOT..
Leila Lasalle is dead. A famous actress who plunged from the balcony of her Manhattan penthouse. Ted Winters a New York based business tycoon stands accused of Leila's murder . Ted Winters was witnessed by two of his friends (Syd and Helmut)in Leila's penthouse apartment at the time of her
Connie
Jun 24, 2011 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book today and liked it very much. I did guess who had murdered Leila, but still enjoyed how everything was tied together. This one had Alvirha Meehan in it and I am pretty sure this is the first book that she was introduced in. She is quite the character. The only complaint I have and it is a minor one, is that some of the sentences appear to be choppy. But I did like the book and plan to read more by this author.
Francesca
May 15, 2015 Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Higgins Clark è una piacevole scoperta fatta grazie a mia madre, assidua lettrice dei suoi romanzi gialli.
Non ero una fan del genere, ma ho voluto provare..e ne sono rimasta entusiasta, tanto che ho sullo scaffale due altri suoi titoli pronti per essere divorati!

La trama è molto ben articolata, la protagonista è una giovane donna la cui sorella, modella e attrice di successo, è morta in un misterioso incidente del quale viene accusato il ricco fidanzato.
Tutto fa credere che sia lui il colp
David
Jul 13, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a little while for the story to grip me, but once it did, it held tight. I enjoyed the previous book of hers that I read more, but this was still a thrilling read!
Gab
Feb 27, 2015 Gab rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those really bad books that I shouldn't have bothered to finish reading. I'm not sure why this author is known as the 'Queen of Suspense' but she apparently is. Lucky I only paid a dollar or two for it
Jessica Gettel
A little pulpy, but enjoyable. I've read a lot of mary Higgins Clark, but in my experience this is one of her lesser books. Seems like the motive wasn't built up enough so It wasn't a very satisfactory end.
Toni
Having not read any Mary Higgins Clark since my teens (more than a decade ago), I recently grabbed a few of her works at the used bookstore. This was the first that I picked up.

I'm not really sure if my sleuthing powers have drastically improved, or if this was simply not one of the author's best novels. I had the mystery (or the killer, anyhow) figured out within the first 20 pages. I stuck with it for two reasons: first, I kept expecting some twists and turns to make me doubt my initial hypot
Allisa
Jan 29, 2014 Allisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
This book was so fantastic! I mean, of course it was, but wow! This is the very first of Mary Higgins Clark that I've read and I'm so happy I started. No going back after this.

Elizabeth Lange is getting read to testify in court against her late sister's fiance and is invited to a wonderfully fancy spa to relax before going. All kind of trouble happens, secrets unearthed, and lots of glamorous characters find themselves in the middle of a murder mystery.

I loved all of the different point of views
Marilyn
May 24, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have read almost all of Mary Higgins Clark's books. I DO NOT read those by her daughter Carol nor those that were co-authored by Carol. The daughter is NOT the writer that Mary is. I have enjoyed almost all of Mary Higgins Clark's books though there were a couple that seems far too similar. I suppose that can be a problem when you are trying to put out so many books. There was also ONE book where a woman was buried alive and that freaked me out so that particular book rates a little lower than ...more
Rea Reina
Jan 03, 2016 Rea Reina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
--VERY SHORT COMMENT AND CONTAIN SPOILER--
this one wasnt really interesting at first. i found the fun at about thirty pages before the book's end. the climax was amazing and i like how the murder imitates Ted's voice-- that's brand new for me.
but i hate relationship between elizabeth and ted. how the heck they can be together? they relationship came so sudden and unnatural.

so at the end, all of leila's worries and judge to ted becomes true. ted has someone else, and that was leila's sister.
Claire
To understand Leila, you had to have lived that childhood, that trip to New York, the fear and the disappointments.... And you had to know that however good it sounded in people magazine, it wasn't a beautiful story at all." The Leila in question is a gorgeous, successful actress, who has been pushed to her death from her apartment terrace. Elizabeth, her younger sister, is to be a witness at the murder trial of Leila's fiance, a wealthy building contractor.
Mary Higgins Clark, the author of seve
Ina
Since most of the book consists of spa scenes and eating at nice restaurants, it's a must that you actually enjoy reading about these things. For me, it was a breeze. I loved reading about the spa, and it's inspired me to someday get myself into a luxury spa (you know, once I save up the money first...). I can't comment on how easy I felt it was to guess the murderer, since I first read it so long ago and I had much less in the way of detective skills at that time. I will say, though, it was eng ...more
Kimberly
Jan 15, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Originally posted on my blog, Over The Bookshelf

It took me three tries to finally get through this book. I always got suck about 50 pages in. I would get bored and put it down and not pick it up until much later. I guess this time around it was the right time. I picked up the book and didn’t put it down until I was finished. The thing I love about Mary Higgins Clark is how she manages to keep you guessing until the end, although I actually figured out who the killer was way before it was reveale
Vanessa Kay
Sep 16, 2016 Vanessa Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another MHC’s story huh? You might be thinking that I’m now back on digging another of hers for one straight month eh? I don’t think I am. It’s just that, I miss reading her stories and FYI there’s still a ton of hers in my reading list.

And about this story, well, it’s just actually a short read. I could possibly finish it in just one sitting, but surprisingly, it took me a week. Well, I have some good reasons for that. First, I was busy with my job; second, I was also working on my so called “a
Alida arabelle
May 15, 2015 Alida arabelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, gripping
Miles Oliver
Feb 02, 2012 Miles Oliver rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children or Young Adults
Recommended to Miles by: No one to blame but myself...
I remember REALLY enjoying A Cry in the Night and While My Pretty One Sleeps in my youth, but these novels just don't hold the same magic that they once possessed for me. I've been picking up her novels to gulp down in brief chugs between some of the heavier titles (War and Remembrance, Exodus, etc.), and they definitely serve as something of a sorbet, but nothing more. I have one or two other titles that I'm considering giving my time to (if for no other reason than that I've already purchased ...more
Rebecca
Aug 10, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Higgins Clark captures the 'who done it' in a way Christie would be proud of, and this was no disappointment.
Set in the back drop of an exclusive spa the plot twists and turns, pointing its finger at everyone, for a murder the protagonist thinks she already has sewn up.
A little longer and slightly more drawn out than some of Clark's other fictions. Not quite as fast paced and the love interest was a touch more slushy. Still a good read that kept me wondering until the end.
Barbara M
Aug 28, 2014 Barbara M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this mystery while lounging on the beach! The setting is a high end spa where a cast of interesting characters are drawn together by the owner of the spa. One of the characters is accused of murder by the sister of the deceased. The owner of the spa doesn't think the accused did it. Did he or didn't he? An interesting story unravels with a lot of twists and turns.

This was the first time I read a book by Mary Higgins Clark. I enjoyed this one & will read another.
Bonnie Gleckler Clark
This is Mary Higgins Clark's sixth novel. Written in 1987. I have to say that Mary Higgins Clark definitely put her best work into this book. The plot intrigued me like no other book of hers I have ever read. In Weep No More, My Lady, Elizabeth Lange, a young actress, is grieving over her sister's death more than one year later. Her sister, Leila LaSalle, was murdered at her New York apartment. Preparing to testify against her dead sister's lover. Following his murder indictment in the case, an ...more
  • Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Twanged (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #4)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • The Golden Unicorn
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...

Alvirah and Willy (10 books)
  • The Lottery Winner
  • Dashing Through the Snow
  • I'll Walk Alone
  • The Lost Years
  • As Time Goes By

“you’ll be your usual overbearing self.” Min smiled wanly and allowed him to lead her toward the bedroom. His arm was still around her, she was half-leaning against him. Her head fitted into the crook of his shoulder. After” 1 likes