Start by marking “The Complete Book of Running” as Want to Read:
The Complete Book of Running

The Complete Book of Running

Discusses not only the physical benefits of running, but its psychological benefits as well: increasing self-esteem, acquiring a "high" from running, and being able to cope better with pressure and tension. Yep, it still sells.
Published September 12th 1977 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Running

Loederkoningin
Feb 06, 2011 Loederkoningin rated it liked it
A deliciously outdated book. Fixx wrote The Complete Book of Running in the seventies and therefore a lot of what he has to say is no longer accurate, which is a little amusing and sometimes even cute. His passion for running withstands the test of time though. And so does his ability to make his reader share in his excitement.

It is a wee bit ironic that Fixx adopted running as part of a healthy life style that would hopefully provide him with a longer and healthier life - his family had a histo
Kristy
Aug 30, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: running
Some of the topics in this book are laughable due to the passage of years (it was published in 1977). For example, did you know that the author tried wearing negative-heel shoes once upon a time to help stretch his calves? Apparently, they were popular in their own right and he had the idea they would be helpful...but he couldn't walk well in them and gave them up.

Another tidbit he gleaned from women runners: It is optional to wear a bra while running. Some like to wear one, some don't, and only
Abby
Apr 10, 2008 Abby rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It sounds like it may be boring (because running is boring), but if anyone is interested in starting a running program or competing in a race, it's full of great information and fascinating facts.

Like, for example, women may have an advantage to men in running long distance. Men don't have as much body fat, which you can pull on for fuel during a marathon.

There's a story about a woman who had diarreah during a marathon but kept running because she was going to win. She did wi
Jen
Feb 09, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most informative and motivating books about running on the market. I ran distance track in high school, and when I tried to get back into it a couple of years ago I found myself with absolutely no motivation. I happened upon this book at the library, and it quickly became one of my favorite running books. I eventually got back into running, and I think about this book on most of my runs. It is a complete guide that covers everything from what type of shoes to buy, to ho ...more
Chelsea
Apr 16, 2011 Chelsea rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has everything anyone needs to know about running. It talks about what to wear, different weather, where to run, how to train, etc. It is a very good motivator to start running! Every time I read it, I'd want to go out and run. Maybe it'll persuade me to run a marathon! :)
Gerald
Nov 08, 2009 Gerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, insight
I clearly date myself by stating that this book is responsible for the enthusiasm that I felt for running in the late '70's.
Lynn
Jan 13, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
This book may be 35 years old, but most of the advice still stands... though it's amusing (read: heartbreaking) to see how the price of running shoes has changed!
Beth
Jun 23, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
An oldie but a goodie, I think. I was never a runner, and this is probably not the recommended order to do things, but it worked for me. I (1) signed up for a 5k 3 weeks before it, (2) started practicing my running every other day, (3) started reading this book about a week before the race. I found the book to be very encouraging for a beginning runner and would definitely recommend it. It was very motivational in terms of the benefits that regular running can give you. It had a lot of practical ...more
Jason Collins
Jan 22, 2012 Jason Collins rated it really liked it
The manifesto that started it all! A great inspiration for any beginning runner. Fixx's iconic guide details all the physical and psychological benefits of running. Though it will come across as a bit of a dated read today, running is such a basic sport that Fixx's advice holds up against more modern approaches to running.

My only criticism of Fixx's doctrine is the notion that a good runner ought to be noticeably skinny. I've known extreme runners who run themselves absolutely frail. But I've a
John
Apr 18, 2013 John rated it really liked it
It's funny reading this, 35 years after being published. References to East German athletic training, and advice on how to measure route distances before Google Maps and GPS (guesstimate by pace/time, use a car odometer, or a special tool attached to a bicycle). It's also probably wise to ignore any scientific or medical discussion, though I was amused to hear about Dr. J. E. Schmidt's Playboy article, "Jogging Can Kill You" (unfortunately, I can't find the original, but he appears in many newsp ...more
Karen
Feb 09, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it
The original running book remains relevant.
Mary Beth
Jun 22, 2007 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
An excellent guide to all things regarding runningl. I loved his advice and would follow every step with one small issue: the book is only marred by the knowledge that this man died running at the age of 52. That kind of blows the whole thing apart unless you take into consideration his medical history, even though we don't really know his medical history or how long he would have lived without the joy of running in his life. Eliminate his unhealthy lifestyle before his advocacy of running and o ...more
Victor Claar
Aug 06, 2009 Victor Claar rated it liked it
Read this one back in the early eighties along with plenty of others. Inspiring--perhaps the most inspiring book about running out there. Still a fine read, but read with caution; much of our understanding about calisthenics, stretching, and physiology has evolved and changed since this book. Many of the exercises can hurt you--we now know--so proceed with care and consult a trainer before you try any of Fixx's ideas.
John
Dec 08, 2007 John rated it it was amazing
Jim Fixx was a courageous man by showing people to just go out and do it. His family history was rampant with heart disease and when he found himself unfit and overweight he decided to change and change he did. Unfortunately, his history caught up with him and he died of a heart attack at age 52 but not before he blazed the path.
Kristen MacGregor
Mar 05, 2011 Kristen MacGregor rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kristen by: Abby Hansen
This book is very helpful, but also very funny. Since it was written in the 70s, a LOT has changed since then. So some of the things he goes off about are humorous nowadays. But he has some good pointers for anyone who's trying to start a lifetime habit of running- and even some pointers for those wanting to race [marathons, etc.]
Mark
Nov 08, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport
Read this when I was a kid (age 12 approx). At the time I was a competitive athlete and would read anything I could lay my hands on to do with running. This book was absolutely brilliant and I finished it in a couple of days.

Particularly remember the chapter on how to cope with Dogs and the one about Bill Rogers.

Jess
Sep 07, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book definitely needs to go through a reprint, because it's a fantastic (and humorous) definitive book about running. While some of the material in the book is outdated, the majority of it is interesting and applicable. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a passion for running, or who wants to understand why people run recreationally.
Joe Savage
Jul 17, 2014 Joe Savage rated it liked it
Read this some while ago. Was helpful then but now there a great wealth of running literature is available. Sadly James Fixx died on the road and this was apparently due to heart disease. Much in his story should have raised red flags.
Russ
Jun 11, 2010 Russ rated it really liked it
I read this years ago, and while the information hasn't aged well, it is still an infectious read. Fixx's love of running, and his unwavering belief that running would cure all evils, comes through on every page. Worth the read just for that...
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 12, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: outdoors
Fixx was considered the guru of distances runners until his death due to a heart attack. He explains his ideas of running and fitness.
Jerry
Oct 14, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it
It is a little dated but still an inspirational read. Written at a time when fistance running was coming back into popularity it helped forge the boom that biilt a multi-billion dollar industry
David Housholder
Mar 25, 2011 David Housholder rated it really liked it
I ran through the 1980's with this book...And then as did Forrest Gump, I stopped.
Kristen
Jan 29, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
Some of the information is outdated, but it's still worth reading if you're interested in running.
Jeremy
Jan 06, 2010 Jeremy rated it really liked it
First book I read on running. Still quite informative.
Rick
Aug 01, 2008 Rick rated it liked it
Shelves: running
I liked Galloway's better, but this is a wonderful introduction.
Kevin
Feb 16, 2013 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book. For those who don't, this could get you hooked!
Aug 07, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I didn't really read this book, but one of our relatives is quoted in it so I am giving it 5 stars anyway!
Darryl Scroggins
Sep 30, 2012 Darryl Scroggins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
This book was written long ago, but it is still very solid. It does a great job convincing you that you should run.
Toph White
Dated, but interesting to read one of the jogging/running motivators.
Angela
Mar 10, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Awesome to read something written in 1977. I can't believe there was ever a time when women were not ALLOWED to run in a marathon.
  • The Four-Minute Mile
  • The Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • Stretching
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
  • To the Edge: A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
  • Strides: Running Through History With an Unlikely Athlete
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Running: Everything You Need to Run for Fun, Fitness and Competition
  • The Runner's Field Manual: A Tactical (and Practical) Survival Guide
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • First Marathons: Personal Encounters with the 26.2-Mile Monster
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Running with Joy
  • Galloway's Book on Running
James Fuller Fixx was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging.
More about Jim Fixx...