Start by marking “Way Out in the Desert” as Want to Read:
Way Out in the Desert

Way Out in the Desert

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Filled with vibrant illustrations of many of the charming plants and animals that call the Sonoron Desert home, each illustration also hides numerals to teach children to count.
Published May 1st 1998 by Cooper Square Pub

To ask other readers questions about Way Out in the Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Way Out in the Desert

Angela
Best for kids ages 3 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness

From cover:
This toe-tapping text will have you singing along with the lovable creatures of the desert in no time! Filled with vibrant illustrations of many of the charming plants and animals that call the Sonoran Desert home, Way Out in the Desert is also a wonderful teaching tol that takes you on a trip down memory lane.
For new readers, the text' s rhyming repetition reinforces emerging readi
Cindi

Way Out in the Desert is a new take on an old classic; authors T. J. Marsh and Jennifer Ward, along with illustrator Kenneth J. Spengler have written a book that is fun to read and educational at the same time.

Remember the old song, Over in the Meadow? Its the same story here, only it takes place in the Sonoran Desert. The Sonoran Desert covers parts of California and Arizona in the U.S. and crosses over into Mexico. It also shares a border with the Mojave Desert, also in California. The animals
Leah
This board book is sung to the tune of over in the meadow. It focuses on desert creatures and works on counting skills. The picture are beautiful and they match what the author is writing.

Recommended age 0-5
Reading Level 2nd grade
Tanya
I revisited this tale of the Sonoran Desert this week when I was asked to come read a story to my youngest daughter's school class. Since Madeline was born in Tucson, I decided it would be fun to share a book so full of the culture of her birthplace. This was one of my oldest daughter's favorites when she was a kindergartner there because it showcases so many unique Arizona plants and animals, and does it to the tune of "Over in the Meadow." Maddie's class of Utahns loved the colorful illustrati ...more
Alice
I really enjoyed this book! The counting wasn't too much in your face! And the PICTURES!! WOW!! LOVE LOVE LOVE The pictures! This is going on "my pick" shelf!" Thanks!
Barbie
This is a fun one for yournger children. It's a counting book, a desert book and a singing book. It even has a glossary of animals in the back. There is a page of sheet music. Each page of the book can be sung to the tune. Very fun.
Krystal
A fun story that helped us learn our numbers while learning about the different desert animals. It's a song, so you can sing it or read it.
Theresa
a singing song... helps with music and writing also great resource for teachers.. artistic impression, art projects,and a cute story.
Lindsay
The rhyming is so clever in this book and all the kids loved it. Thanks Alisa for suggesting it, I can't wait to see her other ones.
Mandy
(4.5 stars)

Read or sing this story to the tune of "Over in the Meadow" as you learn about the animals in their desert habitat.
Rachel English
I learned: that way out in the desert having fun in the sun is a momma horned toad and her little baby one.
Good book to teach about counting and about southwestern animals and environment.
Jmhadzima
I liked that this book introduced some more unusual (desert) animals.
Amber
Jan 18, 2008 Amber rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids (beginning readers)
A poetic introduction to desert animals. Very cute.
Rachel
great rhyming counting board book for toddlers
Hilary
Great rhyming story! I love the artwork as well.
ErinJoseph Cook
ErinJoseph Cook marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014