Start by marking “The Islands” as Want to Read:
The Islands

The Islands

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  306 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It's the psychedelic '70s and social conventions are being challenged. When Catherine Moreland from rural Australia goes on her first trip abroad, a handsome American naval officer sweeps her off her feet and she goes to live in beautiful, romantic Hawaii with her new husband. At first, the magic and loveliness of the Islands lead Catherine to believe she is living in para ...more
Audio CD
Published May 14th 2012 by Bolinda Audio (first published July 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Islands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Islands

Steve
Nov 06, 2015 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Disdain. That's the overwhelming feeling I'm left with now that I've finished this book. Disdain from the author for the US and the US Navy comes through loud and clear in large swatches of this book. I found the chapters a bit too long, but the scene changes did help. The story felt stilted and predictable, and I guessed (correctly, it turns out) how the rest of the book was going to turn out roughly half way through it. The climax, if you can call it that was as predictable as the rest of the ...more
Amanda Barrett  - Mrs B's book reviews
The dusty outback plains of the cattle station property Heatherbrae in rural Australia and the majestic beauty of the Hawaiian Islands is captured in Di Morrissey’s 16th novel, The Islands. Set in the 1970’s, young Catherine Moreland receives a gift to travel overseas for her 21st birthday. In London she falls head over heels in love with a handsome American Naval Officer, Bradley Connor. After a whirlwind courtship, the two are soon married and Catherine joins her new husband at his naval posti ...more
Kathy
Sep 23, 2012 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up in Hawaii and knowing the culture and islands well I thought this was going to be an excellent read - well for me it was just plain stupid. I'm not big on fiction but when I do read fiction I want a book that is written in a style that captures me and pulls me into the book. I think I could have done a better job of writing the book - the author's level of writing was fairly basic and as such I had difficulty staying with the story line. Nah, would not recommend !!
Jessica
May 19, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, listened to it on an Audio book, and the story was great. My first experience with a Di Morrissey book and I loved it.

The story of Catherine and her time in the islands of Hawaii was amazing, the description of the places and people of Hawaii, made me feel like I was there, now I want to go and see the places spoken about in the book.

Great story and one with a happy ending, nice feel good story.
The Cats Mother
This was great - about a young Australian woman who meets an American naval officer in the 70s and settles with him in Hawaii, then starts getting involved with local people and surfers. I didn't know much about Hawaii but now I want to go there!
Loraine
May 08, 2015 Loraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-romance
Bronwyn Rykiert
Catherine Moreland, who has been brought up on the family cattle property “Heatherbrae”, is given a trip to London with a stopover at Hawaii for her 21st birthday by her parents. In London she meets American Naval Officer Bradley Connor and they start dating. Not long after Bradley is transferred to Hawaii so he and Catherine start correspondence and on her way home to Australia she stops over to catch up with him in Hawaii and while there he asks her to marry him, Catherine is sure she is in lo ...more
Siobhan
Jan 03, 2016 Siobhan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading two previous Di Morrissey books (The Plantation and Monsoon) I was really looking forward to reading this. Unfortunately I got just over a third of the way through and stopped. It was predictable and frankly, dull in many places. What a disappointment. Life is too short to waste it plowing your way through boring, predictable books.
Priscilla Hodge
I found this book readable (or listenable to - as I listened to an audiobook), but quite dull and far from this author's best work. It was long and tedious, with much unimportant embellishment about some of the minor characters lives. I would not recommend the book, unless desperate for something to read!
Chiara Pasquali
Oct 22, 2014 Chiara Pasquali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She has a wonderful way to tell stories and to make you fall in love with places..
Anne
Apr 26, 2016 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK storyline but a bit light on character development. Not one of her best.
Ethne Mcleod
This book didn't really work for me. I'll try another one by the same author.
Julia
Mar 17, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to go on a holiday to Hawaii!
Heather Perring
This was disappointing, I did finish the book but skim read many parts as the narrative on Hawaiian traditions and culture seemed to be a sideline to the main plot. The ending was highly predictable and dragged out. There we're some intriguing characters but overall I didn't have any great emotional response to the story.
Lisa
Jun 15, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like it as much as I thought I would. The style of writing seemed very disjointed in parts and at times was hard to follow. Jumped ahead to quick and was very predictable. It did make me want to visit Hawaii but that was about it.
Christine
I really liked the fact that this book was written by an Australian with an Australian character based in Hawaii. It was a very culturally rich book. A good read.
I am looking to reading other books of hers now.
Diane
Nov 26, 2014 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read after going to Hawaii but just a tad light for me. Definitely a contrast to Michener's epic.
Cheryl
Aug 17, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, especially having been to Hawaii I could picture everything she wrote. Haven't been to Kuaii but she has made me want to travel there someday.
Naomi
Aug 06, 2009 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to start this book. I really enjoy Di Morrissey. I wish that Her books were published in the US, not just other countries. :)
Clare
Feb 14, 2015 Clare rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first & last Di Morrissey book. Just terrible. A lot of dribble about nothing - didn't even get half way through
Gayle
Oct 20, 2010 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
can just see the scenery!
Jan
Jan 17, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read
Colleen.withers
great book
Diana Gorey
Diana Gorey marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Allison Brunton
Allison Brunton rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
richard dalley
richard dalley rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Denise Overell
Denise Overell rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Ali Bush
Ali Bush rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
  • The Cattleman's Daughter
  • Beneath the Southern Cross
  • Wind In The Wires
  • Farewell to Lancashire (The Swan River Saga, #1)
  • Never Say Die
  • Bella's Run
  • House for all Seasons
  • The Family Farm
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ
More about Di Morrissey...