Start by marking “The Horse in My Garage and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Horse in My Garage and Other Stories

The Horse in My Garage and Other Stories

The author of Kerplunk! offers a collection of humorous stories on such topics as hunting, fishing, horseback riding and more. 20,000 first printing.
Published October 1st 2012 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Horse in My Garage and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horse in My Garage and Other Stories

Bethany
Jul 19, 2013 Bethany rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Pat McManus, short story readers, people who aren't bothered by typos
Shelves: short-stories
An absolute delight! This is a collection of short writings that McManus pulled from his discard pile (apparently did not edit at all) and put in print. I'm glad for it; as a fan, I enjoyed reading the odds and ends stories that previously didn't make the cut. I gave it four stars because that is what the book was worth to me and because it seems to have very adequately fulfilled its stated purpose. These are not his best pieces, and there are plenty of typographical errors and repeated chunks ...more
Katie
Nov 29, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
My favorite chapters were about how McManus became a writer, and about the US Forest Service lookout stations, along with the low-budget filming of a historical drama in Spokane -- so easy to imagine it in that place!
Serena
Christmas Shopping
Who Ate My Shakespeare?
Romantic
Marilyn
I discovered I have a limit for exaggerated humor, I guess.
Madison Keller
Aug 27, 2013 Madison Keller rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I'll be honest - there isn't much here for new readers. Much of his older stuff is much better (for new readers I highly recommend 'The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw' as your starting point - watch for a Nostalgia Review coming soon to this blog!) But there are a few gems nestled among the un-edited roughs that make up most of the stories.

The Lady Who Kept Things is the shining jewel of this collection. An original piece of comedic horror, you'll see the end coming but still love every minute of it
Justin
May 24, 2015 Justin rated it it was ok
Shelves: fishing-etc, humor
At one point McManus was one of my favorite writers. I've lost track of him a little, but have still enjoyed what I've come across over more recent years. This is a complete odds and sods collection, with very little editing or information about when and where these pieces came from (or if some of them were previously published at all). It's easy to see why they haven't been collected: they're mostly his scraps.

There are a few hilarious moments, and quite a few smiles, but it's a lot of McManus-
Maria
Collection of McManus's short stories not published before. They span his career, and it is a delightful romp thru the pleasure and challenges of fishing, marriage, and all sorts of other things.

Why I started this book: I remember laughing out loud the first time I read The Good Samaritan Strikes Again back in junior high. I immediate ran into the other room and proceeded to read the whole story to my Mom. Although she didn't find it quite as funny as I couldn't stop laughing to read it properly
Joyce
Aug 31, 2016 Joyce rated it liked it
An amusing, easy read. This collection of short stories was purportedly complied from older stories that were discarded from being published previously. Probably not the best as a first introduction to McManus' work, but still enjoyable. He could have done with a bit of editing; there were a couple of instances where pieces were repeated from one story to the next, and a couple of stories had proofreading errors. I think, too, that he's probably more appreciated by a male audience. My husband ...more
Benj FitzPatrick
Jan 13, 2013 Benj FitzPatrick rated it liked it
After over 30 years of writing I wondered what McManus had left. In the intro, he specifically stated there might be overlap in some of the stories. Well, he was telling the truth, and while I found the almost identical paragraphs a bit annoying, my overall reaction was sadness. Here is an author who never fails to bring a smile to my face because his his humor and creativity always seemed boundless. Aside from this issue, some of the stories were as hilarious as ever. I especially enjoyed the ...more
Susan
Feb 07, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I have really liked McManus's other books, but this one has a lot of repetition. You'll find the same paragraphs in two or three of the stories--word for word. That leads me to believe that nobody proofread the entire book before it was published--that McManus just found a bunch of stories he hadn't put in a book before and submitted them, and nobody read through them.

I found most of the stories kind of boring--not the laugh-out-loud stories of his previous books.

Even though over all I was pret
Ebenezer Scrooge
McManus' stories are always so wonderful. These are shorter ones, some seem more like sketches than anything, but they were brilliant and I loved spending time in his book.
Meaghan
I prefer McManus's other humor story collections. This one appears to have been put together from cast-offs that he never bothered to submit for publication. It's kind of repetitive -- sometimes passages appear word-for-word the same in different stories -- and I don't think the stories are as funny as in his other books. (Perhaps that's why he did not have them published originally.) I would recommend this only for McManus completists.
Djorth
Jan 07, 2013 Djorth rated it really liked it
Great book for fun reading. I liked this book, but it's definitely not his best. It says in the beginning that some of the stories have overlap, but you wouldn't expect 2-3 paragraphs of identical material. All in all, I liked about 75% of the stories. Reads fast, so you won't feel like you've wasted time on the stories you don't like.
Karin Livingston
Our five dogs lay in front of me on the living room floor, heads raised, and brows furrowed, as I guffawed over “The Horse in My Garage”. I could not stop. Just thinking about it makes my smile twitch. This collection of outdoorsy stories by Patrick F. McManus is a go-to, especially if you find yourself wondering whatever happened to your sense of humor.
Catherine Boomer
Jun 19, 2016 Catherine Boomer rated it really liked it
This book was recommended by me for our library monthly reading group to discuss. I really enjoyed reading a book of short stories, for a change, and the author was very humorous in his telling of his fishing, hunting, and other adventures.
Lavender Dreamer
Jul 20, 2016 Lavender Dreamer rated it it was ok
I enjoyed a couple of the stories but couldn't quite get into the humor of this author. I should probably read one of his other books. These were short stories, some left over material he put in a book.
Linnae
Is there a category for embellished memoirs? If so, this would be in it! All kinds of funny stories, with much more of the "what really happened" than some of his other work. I enjoyed getting the biographical insights. I like his older books better, but hey, this was a quick, fun diversion.
Donna
Jan 09, 2013 Donna rated it liked it
Three laugh out loud sections but not PFMs best work. I felt it was a collection of leftovers, with some essays repeating paragraphs from another essay.
Mary
Oct 20, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Typically funny Patrick McManus!
I read this in small chunks while waiting at the bus stop for my kids over a span of two years...it never failed to make the afternoon a little happier.
Micki
Jul 20, 2013 Micki rated it liked it
Some funny stuff but nothing great. The best story was the one about the volunteers in the fire towers. Funny and informative.
Raelynn
Jan 13, 2014 Raelynn rated it liked it
This was my first time reading this author and I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of short stories. He has an honest take on life and the experiences that go with it in the outdoors.
Mary Simonsen
Mar 04, 2016 Mary Simonsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious

Be warned, this is not a book to read in a public place because parts of it will make you have tears streaming down your face from laughing so hard.
Bookista
Jul 31, 2014 Bookista rated it liked it
Not his best, but still funny. Even has one of his older "serious" pieces, and I enjoyed the one about the national park fire-watchers.
Marfita
Aug 21, 2015 Marfita rated it liked it
Shelves: essays
The first few stories had me laughing out loud (worms - hahahaha!). I smiled through the rest. I love Patrick McManus.
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Jon Dal Poggetto
Jon Dal Poggetto rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Yvonne Riedl
Yvonne Riedl rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Joan Ruthruff
Joan Ruthruff rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
  • The Spellman Series Box Set 1 - 4 (The Spellmans, #1-4)
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • The Letters of John and Abigail Adams
  • The Xanadu Adventure (Vesper Holly #6)
  • Waggit Again
  • Catherine the Great
  • The Festival of Earthly Delights
  • Signing Their Lives Away
  • I Spy DIY Style: Find Fashion You Love and Do It Yourself
  • Fodor's Ireland 2011
  • The Dog Crusoe: A Tale of the Western Plains
  • Gifts of the Desert: The Forgotten Path of Christian Spirituality
  • A Counterfeit Christmas Summons (Regency Seasons, #1)
  • Dinner with the Smileys: One Military Family, One Year of Heroes, and Lessons for a Lifetime
  • Much Ado About Grubstake
  • That Girl Lucy Moon
  • Okavango: Beware the Ultimate Cure
  • Thread of Suspicion
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...

“Another thing I like about fishing with maggots is that if left alone they turn into flies. What kind of future is that for them? You have saved them from that particular horror, for which they should thank you copiously.” 2 likes
“While I was explaining to my own doctor that I was planning to undertake some serious exercise, I happened to mention that I thought I had lost quite a bit of weight since my last physical. “You didn’t lose it,” he said. “It just slipped around to your rear where you can’t see it.” 1 likes