Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers

Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Why Pro-life? This revised edition of Why Pro-Life? Offers concise, non-abrasive answers to the central issues in the abortion debate. Infused with grace and compassion, grounded in medical science and psychology, Randy Alcorn defends both unborn children and their mothers. Alcorn helps readers look at all aspects of this polarizing issue. For those who are unsure of their...more
Published December 31st 2012 by Hendrickson (first published September 23rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Why Pro-Life?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Pro-Life?

Kristi
I have always been staunchly pro choice but with certain things happening lately I have had a serious change of heart. After reading this book, it only confirms my decision. And I've had an early term chemical abortion when I was 18, so I have an idea of what I'm talking about. There's a lot more emotion and guilt that plagues a woman than is revealed in the pro choice movement. It is sad to say neither side can tell the whole truth.
Kent
May 17, 2010 Kent rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pro-life people who want good reinforcement of their beliefs
Solid review of why it makes sense to be pro-life. The author spends time on the biological, philosophical, and logical reasons why it is proper to defend life. Excellent chapters on why the feminists from 1900 forward (except Sanger) were mostly pro-life. Good book for anyone who wants reinforcement of his pro-life beliefs or wants to be ready when challenged by the those who defend abortion as practiced in America today.
Lillie
Although Randy Alcorn is a Bible-believing Christian, he doesn't depend on the Bible to show that abortion is wrong. He documents science as recognizing that life begins at conception, and he uses logic to show that if it's wrong to take the life of three year old child, it's equally wrong to take the life of a three month old unborn baby. He presents facts and logic for nonbelievers who would not respond to a Biblical message. But he presents a Christian message to those who have been involved...more
Jeanmarie Hilt
When people think of the anti-abortion movement, thoughts of judgmental, woman-hating zealots carrying signs and attacking abortion clinics unfortunately come to mind. In Why Pro-Life: Caring for the Unborn and their Mothers, author Randy Alcorn presents the case against abortion in a way that is compassionate, non-judgmental, and supported by scientific research and historical notes. Although the book is not an all-encompassing treatise, it does discuss the ‘big questions’ associated with abor...more
Adam T Calvert
It's amazing how compelling and convicting simple logic can be. This book is great for educating Christians on why the pro-life movement is worthy of their consideration (and action). And Randy Alcorn doesn't make it so much about politics rather than actual people. Even in talking about steps to take he doesn't sound the alarm for everyone to go protesting outside of abortion clinics. But he does show that everyone can have a part to play, even including caring for those single mothers who deci...more
Jerry
This outstanding resource by Randy Alcorn moves through five sections: 1) The Basics; 2) The Child; 3) The Woman; 4) Other Important Issues; 5) Spiritual Perspectives. It's written for the average person with no spiritual background and covers a ton of territory addressing all of the sham arguments and difficult issues surrounding abortion. Everyone should read and hand out copies of this.
Ginelle
Alcorn addresses many questions and aspects that make the topic of abortion so difficult today. With chapters covering the baby's development, affects of abortion on the mother spiritual aspects, and more, he is constantly providing sourced references and statistics to follow up what he is saying.

The whole book is written in a very informative style, rather than an accusatory or aggressive style. This make it easier to focus on the presented statistics and facts.

I would honestly like to make a r...more
Every issue has its ‘one-liners’ that cause your heart to stop, mind to race, and basically make you feel inadequate and unintelligent. Until three seconds go past and you suddenly remember the answer that you memorized several years ago. From ‘we’re under grace, not law’ to ‘but God would never make anybody love Him!’ these cliché phrases can be super hard to answer, because they’re packed with misconceptions – and the teeniest bit of truth.

The abortion issue is no exception to this rule – ‘I c...more
Hannah
Incredible! I would give this more than 5 stars if possible, and I definitely plan to read it again.

Abortion is the taking of a human life - the fact cannot be escaped. Human life is so precious, and ought to be treasured, whether adult, young child, or an unborn baby in the womb. It is not whether a child is "wanted" that gives him worth. It is the fact that he is created in the image of Almighty God.

Mr. Alcorn presents the facts as they are, and makes a compelling case for the pro-life posit...more
Mandy
Aug 22, 2007 Mandy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pro-lifers and Pro-choicers, and those who can't decide
Before reading this book, I knew in my heart that I was pro-life. I guess I really never put much thought into why, other than it seems right to me. In "Why Pro-Life?" Randy Alcorn discusses the scientific reasons why abortion hurts mothers, babies and society. He makes a compelling case for when a baby is "alive." Alcorn explains how many post-abortion mothers suffer severe physical and emotional effects for years afterward. Most of his information is backed up with more than one source. He dra...more
Jung Sun
I've been a sleeping pro-lifer, until recently when Obama brought it to the fore front. Now it's suddenly dire to become more well informed and active. I came away from this book really impressed with how Alcorn addressed various aspects of abortion, made it educational, not condemning but loving. Mainly statistics and quotes are used to support answers. The book isn't overly religious or relying heavily on Bible verses. Which is wonderful for when there's resistance to Bible verses or "religiou...more
Ben Zajdel
Why Pro-Life? is an excellent book that answers questions about the Pro-Life position. This book is small, only about one hundred pages, but covers plenty of information.

Randy Alcorn attempts to make an argument for the Pro-Life position without using the Bible, and he does a stellar job. Using statistics, scientific research, historical notes, and psychological findings, Alcorn presents a convincing case against abortion.

While not exhaustive, Why Pro-Life? covers just about every question you c...more
Brian Watson
This is a short and solid book reasoning for the pro-life position against abortion. It has some very good information and short chapters that deal with the major issues. I think it could have been improved by having more up-to-date facts regarding statistics. However, Alcorn has revised this book and a newer version was printed in 2012. I'm guessing he corrected that issue.

If you were interested in reading one, short book on abortion, I would recommend this one. If you want a longer case agains...more
Richard Minor
A short and excellent book explaining the pro-life position and answering objections to the position.
Rivqah Coover
Aug 05, 2013 Rivqah Coover rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Rivqah by: Joni and Friends International Disability Center
One of the most awesome books I have ever read. Thank-you so much, Randy. The copy I read was an earlier edition. I plan to get your newest edition, also, as well as some copies to share with others. I am also referring it over our family websites, www.LoveTheUnbornBabies.name and www.facebook.com/lovetheunbornbabies . I just want to thank you tremendously for such a wonderful book, and for making it available to others at such an affordable price. I think everyone ought to read this book. Pleas...more
Shawn Matthew
I was surprised at the number of facts and logical arguments Alcorn was able to fit in 121 pages. As a serious pro-life advocate, this book only solidified my view and gave me more facts to support my view. However, this book would be perfect to give to any pro-choice friend. Alcorn acknowledges that there may be pro-choice readers, and invites them to think critically about the nature of abortion. I will definitely refer anybody looking to understand the realities of abortion to this solid intr...more
Tyler Walsh
This is an excellent book! You should read this book even if you're pro-choice. It'll only take an hour or two and you'll be more informed and aware by the end of it. I was personally on the fence and in the middle before reading this book. It really helped me get a grasp on some of the issues surrounding abortion. Seriously, give this book a shot.
Darren Sapp
In 172 pages, Alcorn speaks so many truths about this subject, you might consider consuming just a few pages per day. That’s what I did. Regardless of your position on abortion, you will find a fair treatment of each issue.
Victor Chininin
An excellent resource - short and yet makes sound, precise, compelling arguments. And it doesn't stop there. It points the reader to the gospel - it shows us the power of Jesus Christ.
KC McCauley
This book is an excellent resource for the pro-life position. The arguments are simple and persuading, and the information is clear and compelling. Great resource!
Beth

One of My favorite quotes, "There can be no equal rights for all women until there are equal rights for unborn women!"
Deanna
Awesome, eye-opening book. I'm pro-life and there were so many things I hadn't thought of or knew about before I read this!
Jason
I am most grateful for the work Randy Alcorn has done to support and defend the lives of mothers and the unborn!
Jeff
Great book! Not preachy, but presents great responses to questions to explain why we should be pro-life!
Theresa
A great book that answers the abortion question clearly and concisely.
Joe
Excellent presentation of the pro-life position in a very reasonable fashion.
Andrea
Quick read to organize and solidify my beliefs.
Spunky Reader
I have this Kindle book to lend.
  • Abortion: A Rational Look At An Emotional Issue
  • What He Must Be: If He Wants to Marry My Daughter
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?
  • Already Gone
  • Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus
  • Addicted to Mediocrity (Revised Edition): Contemporary Christians and the Arts
  • 10 People Every Christian Should Know
  • How to Stay Christian in College
  • One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven
  • The Attributes of God
  • Holy Bible (NASB - New American Standard Bible)
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • Genesis Flood
  • The Marketing of Evil: How Radicals, Elitists and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised as Freedom
  • Why Men Hate Going to Church
  • Standing on the Promises: A Handbook of Biblical Childrearing
  • The Mark of a Man
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim...more
More about Randy Alcorn...
Courageous Safely Home Heaven Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1) Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)

“I could feel the baby being torn from my insides. It was really painful....Three-quarters of the way through the operation I sat up....In the cylinder I saw the bits and pieces of my little child floating in a pool of blood. I screamed and jumped up off the table....I just couldn't stop throwing up....” 1 likes