Start by marking “The Games Do Count: America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports” as Want to Read:
The Games Do Count: America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports

The Games Do Count: America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
What do Henry Kissinger, Jack Welch, Condoleezza Rice, and Jon Bon Jovi all have in common? They have all reached the top of their respective professions, and they all credit sports for teaching them the lessons that were fundamental to their success. In his years spent interviewing and profiling celebrities, politicians, and top business people, popular sportscaster and F ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by HarperEntertainment (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Games Do Count, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Games Do Count

Katie
Feb 14, 2016 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The overall intention of this book, to show that sports are an important part of character development, was really appealing to me. I agree that participation in sports helps to shape a person and influence them all their life. However, there were lots of typos. Worth a casual read.
Lawrence Kao
Feb 28, 2010 Lawrence Kao rated it liked it
I picked up "The Games Do Count" whilst browsing in the bargain books bin in a Border's in San Francisco. Being a huge sports fan and a relatively recent MBA grad, I really thought this book would be perfect. I mean think about it, it's about the US's most powerful leaders and their experiences and takeaways from the universal activity, sports! And for $3, he steals second! (Whoa, I am lame).

I cracked the book open immediately and realized I didn't really like it. In fact, the stories often tim
Sean
Jul 31, 2016 Sean rated it liked it
It's a nice book. The chapters are pretty short and are quick reads.

For me, there are too many typos. For instance Tony Danza boxed in the Golden Gloves not the Golden Globes; Dr. J's name is Julius Erving, not Julius Irving. Those kind of errors, and they're all over the place, just detracted from my enjoyment of the book. In a book about sports, wouldn't you think that there wouldn't be so many sports reference errors?
Apr 04, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book provides insight into the part that sports have played in the lives of an interesting assortment of successful people.
Louis Picone
Dec 03, 2014 Louis Picone rated it really liked it
great concept for a book - it just got a little long & repetitive. I would have preferred cutting about 10 of the stories
Rickey
This may be necessary reading for educators that seem to want to cut out sports. Although I did not grow up with much of this in my earlier education, there seem to be lessons that are best learned while actively engaged in these types of activities. It made me more interested in playing these games that sometimes we have taken for granted. More importantly, it made me more interested in making sure to provide opportunities for our children to participate in sports.
Judine
Jul 21, 2008 Judine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read 15 or 20 of these profiles, but I like that so many of the people talk about how their participation in sports influenced what they're doing now - and they're doing everything from acting to politics. I also appreciate that the sports include what many people in my part of the country consider "minor" sports - like soccer and horseback riding. It provides a good balance.
John Desmond
Apr 30, 2009 John Desmond rated it liked it
A collection of essays written by some of the most famous people in America. They tell the story of how participation in sports influenced their lives, how they applied lessons of teamwork, dedication, etc. to their successes off the field. After a while, the stories begin to sound the same, however.
Dave
Nov 06, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok
The stories were not that remarkable but it was interesting to see what value sports played in these lives.

Same old theme for me... great theme but not that great of a book.

The author is one of the anchors on Fox and Friends on morning TV. Smart guy.
Reid Corcoran
Oct 15, 2010 Reid Corcoran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Their stories illustrate what the games are supposed to mean to our kids. NOWHERE in the book does it talk about the importance of the games to the guy pacing the siadelines, veins bulging, living vicariously through his offspring!
Jeff
Jul 31, 2012 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. From the perspective of leaders, sports figures, CEO's and others, it's a great way to see how organized sports and coaches affected/changed their lives.
Raymond Bial
Jun 29, 2016 Raymond Bial rated it really liked it
Very insightful book. Kilmeade did a very good job of assembling an interesting array of well-known people who share their experiences in a variety of sports.
Nick Lloyd
Jan 16, 2013 Nick Lloyd rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, sports
Famous people played sports too? The hell you say. Some crack reporting there, third-smartest host of Fox and Friends.
Glenn Liguori
Apr 03, 2012 Glenn Liguori marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
X
Soren
Soren rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Thom Taylor
Thom Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Terrie
Terrie added it
Aug 14, 2016
TimM
TimM rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Kacy
Kacy rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Chandler R Wall
Chandler R Wall marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Hank Weaver
Hank Weaver rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Ken Megale
Ken Megale marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Josh Smith
Josh Smith rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Derek Coulson
Derek Coulson rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
  • Serious Play: How the World's Best Companies Simulate to Innovate
  • One Soldier's Story: A Memoir
  • Global Business Today
  • Beyond Boredom and Anxiety: Experiencing Flow in Work and Play
  • Masters and Commanders: The Military Geniuses Who Led the West to Victory in World War II
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters
  • Playing with the Enemy: A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home
  • The Path To Power
  • Rumsfeld's Rules: Leadership Lessons in Business, Politics, War, and Life
  • American Soldier
  • Sports Illustrated: The Football Book
As cohost of FOX & Friends, the number one rated morning program on cable television for the past nine years, Brian Kilmeade shares his unique perspective on the daily news. He has interviewed the biggest names in politics, sports and entertainment, often securing exclusive content.

Kilmeade played a large part in FOX ís coverage of September 11th, as well as coverage including reporting from w
More about Brian Kilmeade...