Start by marking “The Games Do Count: America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports” as Want to Read:
The Games Do Count: America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports

The Games Do Count: America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  10 reviews
What do Henry Kissinger, Jack Welch, Condoleezza Rice, and Jon Bon Jovi all have in common? They have all reached the top of their respective professions, and they all credit sports for teaching them the lessons that were fundamental to their success. In his years spent interviewing and profiling celebrities, politicians, and top business people, popular sportscaster and F ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by HarperEntertainment (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Games Do Count, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Games Do Count

Lawrence Kao
I picked up "The Games Do Count" whilst browsing in the bargain books bin in a Border's in San Francisco. Being a huge sports fan and a relatively recent MBA grad, I really thought this book would be perfect. I mean think about it, it's about the US's most powerful leaders and their experiences and takeaways from the universal activity, sports! And for $3, he steals second! (Whoa, I am lame).

I cracked the book open immediately and realized I didn't really like it. In fact, the stories often tim
Louis Picone
great concept for a book - it just got a little long & repetitive. I would have preferred cutting about 10 of the stories
Rickey
This may be necessary reading for educators that seem to want to cut out sports. Although I did not grow up with much of this in my earlier education, there seem to be lessons that are best learned while actively engaged in these types of activities. It made me more interested in playing these games that sometimes we have taken for granted. More importantly, it made me more interested in making sure to provide opportunities for our children to participate in sports.
Judine
Jul 21, 2008 Judine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read 15 or 20 of these profiles, but I like that so many of the people talk about how their participation in sports influenced what they're doing now - and they're doing everything from acting to politics. I also appreciate that the sports include what many people in my part of the country consider "minor" sports - like soccer and horseback riding. It provides a good balance.
John Desmond
A collection of essays written by some of the most famous people in America. They tell the story of how participation in sports influenced their lives, how they applied lessons of teamwork, dedication, etc. to their successes off the field. After a while, the stories begin to sound the same, however.
Katie
The overall intention of this book, to show that sports are an important part of character development, was really appealing to me. I agree that participation in sports helps to shape a person and influence them all their life. However, there were lots of typos. Worth a casual read.
Dave
The stories were not that remarkable but it was interesting to see what value sports played in these lives.

Same old theme for me... great theme but not that great of a book.

The author is one of the anchors on Fox and Friends on morning TV. Smart guy.
Reid Corcoran
Their stories illustrate what the games are supposed to mean to our kids. NOWHERE in the book does it talk about the importance of the games to the guy pacing the siadelines, veins bulging, living vicariously through his offspring!
Jeff
Loved this book. From the perspective of leaders, sports figures, CEO's and others, it's a great way to see how organized sports and coaches affected/changed their lives.
Nick Lloyd
Famous people played sports too? The hell you say. Some crack reporting there, third-smartest host of Fox and Friends.
Glenn Liguori
Apr 03, 2012 Glenn Liguori marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
X
Anita Adkins
Anita Adkins marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Terri Simmons
Terri Simmons marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2015
Jahaas
Jahaas marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Dan Devine
Dan Devine marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
  • One Soldier's Story: A Memoir
  • The Head Game: Baseball Seen from the Pitcher's Mound
  • Beyond Boredom Anxiety Flow 25th Anniv
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters
  • Masters and Commanders: The Military Geniuses Who Led the West to Victory in World War II
  • Global Business Today
  • Rumsfeld's Rules: Leadership Lessons in Business, Politics, War, and Life
  • Wins, Losses, and Lessons: An Autobiography
  • The Path To Power
  • Sports Illustrated: The Football Book
  • Cardboard Gods: An All-American Tale Told Through Baseball Cards
  • Chicken Soup for the Sports Fan's Soul: Stories of Insight, Inspiration and Laughter in the World of Sport
  • Catherine the Great
As cohost of FOX & Friends, the number one rated morning program on cable television for the past nine years, Brian Kilmeade shares his unique perspective on the daily news. He has interviewed the biggest names in politics, sports and entertainment, often securing exclusive content.

Kilmeade played a large part in FOX ís coverage of September 11th, as well as coverage including reporting from w
More about Brian Kilmeade...
George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution It's How You Play the Game: The Powerful Sports Moments That Taught Lasting Values to America's Finest It's How You Play the Game/The Games Do Count: The Powerful Sports Moments That Taught Lasting Values to America's Finest/America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports Search for George Washinton's Secret Six. The Spy Ring ........ George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved America