The Games Do Count: America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports

The Games Do Count: America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  10 reviews
What do Henry Kissinger, Jack Welch, Condoleezza Rice, and Jon Bon Jovi all have in common? They have all reached the top of their respective professions, and they all credit sports for teaching them the lessons that were fundamental to their success. In his years spent interviewing and profiling celebrities, politicians, and top business people, popular sportscaster and F...more
Published October 12th 2004 by HarperEntertainment (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Games Do Count, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Games Do Count

Lawrence Kao
I picked up "The Games Do Count" whilst browsing in the bargain books bin in a Border's in San Francisco. Being a huge sports fan and a relatively recent MBA grad, I really thought this book would be perfect. I mean think about it, it's about the US's most powerful leaders and their experiences and takeaways from the universal activity, sports! And for $3, he steals second! (Whoa, I am lame).

I cracked the book open immediately and realized I didn't really like it. In fact, the stories often tim...more
Plainfield Public Library District
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Eric Rickey
This may be necessary reading for educators that seem to want to cut out sports. Although I did not grow up with much of this in my earlier education, there seem to be lessons that are best learned while actively engaged in these types of activities. It made me more interested in playing these games that sometimes we have taken for granted. More importantly, it made me more interested in making sure to provide opportunities for our children to participate in sports.
Judine
Jul 21, 2008 Judine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read 15 or 20 of these profiles, but I like that so many of the people talk about how their participation in sports influenced what they're doing now - and they're doing everything from acting to politics. I also appreciate that the sports include what many people in my part of the country consider "minor" sports - like soccer and horseback riding. It provides a good balance.
John Desmond
A collection of essays written by some of the most famous people in America. They tell the story of how participation in sports influenced their lives, how they applied lessons of teamwork, dedication, etc. to their successes off the field. After a while, the stories begin to sound the same, however.
Katie
The overall intention of this book, to show that sports are an important part of character development, was really appealing to me. I agree that participation in sports helps to shape a person and influence them all their life. However, there were lots of typos. Worth a casual read.
Dave
The stories were not that remarkable but it was interesting to see what value sports played in these lives.

Same old theme for me... great theme but not that great of a book.

The author is one of the anchors on Fox and Friends on morning TV. Smart guy.
Reid Corcoran
Their stories illustrate what the games are supposed to mean to our kids. NOWHERE in the book does it talk about the importance of the games to the guy pacing the siadelines, veins bulging, living vicariously through his offspring!
Jeff
Loved this book. From the perspective of leaders, sports figures, CEO's and others, it's a great way to see how organized sports and coaches affected/changed their lives.
Nick Lloyd
Famous people played sports too? The hell you say. Some crack reporting there, third-smartest host of Fox and Friends.
Glenn Liguori
Apr 03, 2012 Glenn Liguori marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
X
Lonnie Engel
Lonnie Engel marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Kristen Vanslette
Kristen Vanslette marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Yvonne Gilbert
Yvonne Gilbert marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Patricia Fellows
Patricia Fellows marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Sydney Stype
Sydney Stype marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
As cohost of FOX & Friends, the number one rated morning program on cable television for the past nine years, Brian Kilmeade shares his unique perspective on the daily news. He has interviewed the biggest names in politics, sports and entertainment, often securing exclusive content.

Kilmeade played a large part in FOX ís coverage of September 11th, as well as coverage including reporting from w...more
More about Brian Kilmeade...
George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution It's How You Play the Game: The Powerful Sports Moments That Taught Lasting Values to America's Finest It's How You Play the Game/The Games Do Count: The Powerful Sports Moments That Taught Lasting Values to America's Finest/America's Best and Brightest on the Power of Sports