Start by marking “Mars and Venus Starting Over” as Want to Read:
Mars and Venus Starting Over

Mars and Venus Starting Over

There is hope! You will find love again... John Gray has helped millions of men and women develop better relationships with his phenomenal New York Times bestseller Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus.

Now he turns his attention to the millions of people who find themselves single again and compassionately presents a process for healing a broken heart. Here are just som
Paperback, Large Print, 384 pages
Published October 6th 1999 by Harper (first published February 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mars and Venus Starting Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mars and Venus Starting Over

Corey Rae
May 20, 2009 Corey Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was terribly personal for me and made me work through the pain of true heartbreak. Once I had truthfully and 100% completed the steps in this books, I felt I had the capability to move on in my life! This is a must read for anyone out there that has had their heart completely and utterly ripped out. For those in this world shattered because they love with all they have and wear their hearts on their sleeve, this is a way to begin living again and preparing yourself for the love dive on ...more
Raja
Jan 18, 2015 Raja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
يُعابُ على الكتاب الإسهاب والتكرار في طرح نفس النقاط، لربما كان هناك غياب للتنظيم المناسب لفصول الكتاب-وجهة نظري الشخصية-. بينما من جهة أخرى أُشيد على بعض التمارين الذي ارفقها الكاتب التي من شأنها أن تساعد في الغوص والوصول إلى الأحساس الدفين. كذلك من الملاحظ أن يكون عنوان الكتاب في الترجمة العربية (البدء من جديد) بدلاً من (عودٌ على البدء).

يلخص دكتور جون غراي في هذا الكتاب إلى أن شفاء القلوب من ألم الخسارة (موت الحبيب، الطلاق.) ينبغي الإحساس العميق وأن تعيش أربعة مشاعر رئيسية هي (الغضب، الحزن،
Kristen MacGregor
I really loved the first section on how to heal your heart- the second and third sections are geared towards the different sexes about how to stop preventing new love in your life- they didn't really apply to my current situation. I do have issues that require for me to heal my broken heart and I plan on implementing several of his techniques to help me with that. The first section is a great read for anyone suffering from a broken heart- from death of a loved one, a break-up or divorce, etc.
Hon3yb33
Mar 30, 2007 Hon3yb33 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a broken heart
This book was so.. therapeutic. It understood exactly what I was going through. The author himself had to endure through such a tramatic tragedy that you can't help but trust him as he eventually got out of his pit. Even though it's a "secular" book, it had profound truths.. and all truths are God's truths. The end.
Heulwen
May 25, 2015 Heulwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having found Mars and Venus a help in understanding the psyche of men and women more easily and let's face it, we are very different in our practical thinking processes at times, I then found this book whilst seeking to find myself again after a painful marriage breakup.

I have to admit to wholeheartedly weeping from the depths of my soul whilst carrying out some of the tasks here in the recovery process, having said that, they proved invaluable in helping me to move on out of the 'pain and sadne
Andrea
Sep 23, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is going through a divorce or death of a loved one. It really helped me get my mind straight after my Ex left me.
Matthew
Feb 10, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the BEST book for a break up, divorce, or even a death of a loved one. I have never read a book on these topics until my divorce and a really bad break up afterwards that just completely left me crushed with no where to turn to. Then I stumbled upon this gem. John Gray's look at a broken heart is revolutionary and anyone that is hurting should check it out!
David
Oct 14, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to work through issues stemming from a breakup. There is much to be said about John Gray's approach to differentiating between the way a man and woman suffer after a breakup. There's also quite a bit of exploration of family-of-origin learned behaviors that can help someone trace why the breakup occurred in the first place and how to rewire faulty thinking that doesn't serve one's search for a healthy relationship.

That said, I am not positive that Dr. Gray's approach in writing from
Xjapank  TrK
Aug 15, 2015 Xjapank TrK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un excellent livre sur la psychologie liée à une rupture ou un deuil. Simple à lire, ce livre vous suivra tout au long du processus de la guérison. L'étude d'une partie pour les femmes, mais aussi celle des hommes vous permettra de mettre au clair certaines choses incomprises, sur la compréhension, l'attitude, le mode de fonctionnement, de pensée du sexe opposé.
Des exercices efficaces sont proposés également, témoignages et résultats à l'appui.
Il répond aussi à plusieurs questions qu'on se pose
Robyn26 loid
There are some great ideas and suggestions here. He give you a lot to think about. A book that I have also found helpful in a supportive way is called, " Living Happier After: 20 Women Talk About Life After Divorce" by author Wilma Jones.

"Living Happier After" tells you the real deal regarding what it takes to overcome the demise of a marriage and emerge living happier after. This is the first book to speak from the perspective of a working woman who contributed as much, or more to the househol
Alona
Feb 18, 2014 Alona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really helpful to those people who thought that there's no hope. This book taught me that to be able to move forward we should remove/unload the baggages that we carry from our past. That everything has an end. Thanks to John Gray because he continue writing such an inspiring books like this which tackles things that is happening in reality and this has been an inspiration to me to be a strong and better person... thanks you help another person to becoming a positive and ready to fa ...more
AnnMarie Latimer
I was surprised with how much sense this book made. It is worth the read to anyone in a relationship, struggling in a relationship or better yet; to read it before getting into a relationship. It helps you get in touch with your own personal hang ups and insight as to why you have such struggles. I really wish I had read this one years ago, it might have made a major difference in my life, it is making a difference from here on and this is good for me.
Otor Zoubi
Aug 09, 2015 Otor Zoubi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most useful books I've ever read
If you just got out of a relationship, you probably have a million thoughts and questions, and you think you are alone, this book will answer your questions and give you back your peace of mind, and help you realize that many people are on the same boat with you (and that's kind of reassuring) its scientific approach and practical examples and exercises are very helpful.
David
Jan 11, 2017 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read most all of the Mars and Venus books. This is one I felt was important for me to start off the year reading and finishing. I read this in two sittings. This is a practical book on grieving lost relationships and starting over when a relationship has ended due to various reasons including death, divorce, and relationship personality problems. It is divided up into sections and gives good advice on how to honor old relationships and start the healing process. As with all Mars and Venus b ...more
Katie
Oct 26, 2016 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-t-read-these
Hated it. Advises men to sleep around after they break up with a woman after he spends 30% of the book explaining how women close up and resist relationships....they do this mostly because they are used by men....duh....weird relationship advice. Very weird.
Lisa
Oct 13, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
LIke most self-help books, this one has some things that apply and some that don't. My biggest takeaway was the strategies for different ways to write your feelings in letter/journal form to release your grief.
Amber
Jan 17, 2017 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some good ideas in this book, and the journal exercises are helpful. The exercise at the end where you role play (I just pictured) you ex telling you they don't want to be with you was very painful, but helpful. Overall, Dr. Gray is very black and white in his assigning gender roles across the board. I gained a lot from reading the section geared towards men. It gave me a lot to think about. I took what I could from this book. Not everything was helpful, but I'm glad I read it.
Nicole G.
2.5.
Men and women are soo different, so how they function after a breakup is naturally dissimilar. Men will jump right into another relationship. Women will close off to stop themselves from getting hurt again. The book is separated into three parts. The first is general information about how to heal one's heart and that we must feel all the important emotions equally - fear, anger, sorrow, etc. Otherwise, we don't fully heal and bring hidden issues into our next relationship. The latter two sec
Christine Balaty
Aug 30, 2014 Christine Balaty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with other Mars and Venus books by John Gray, many points resonate, but some seem off-base. Some traits identified as male or female could easily apply to the other sex, and the book got tedious and repetitive in parts two (Starting over on Venus) and three (Starting over on Mars). However, with any relationship self-help book, if one can glean a few golden nuggets of truth, go a little deeper into the mystery of self, and see life a little more clearly, then the time was well-spent. Overall, ...more
المدرب محمد الملا
كعادته جون جراي فإن كتبه تتناول قضايا الرجال والنساء بطريقة عميقة وعملية وواقعية

الكتاب مليئ بالتمارين والتطبيقات العملية للشفاء من ألم الإفتقراق عن الشريك

الكتاب أنصح به لكل الأخوة المتخصصين في العلاج الأسري، وأنصح به لكل الذين عايشوا تجربة الإنفصال عن محبوبهم أو الإنفصال عن شريك حياة سيء

هو بلا شك سوف يلامس الكثير من الناس، فاكثرنا بنا ما بنا من آلام لم يتم شفائها

أعجبني في الكتاب القدرة على استخلاص الكثير من الإقتباسات

أربع نجمات لأني لا أملك القدرة في الحكم على التمارين والتطبيقات الموجودة
Dayne Myers
Dec 07, 2011 Dayne Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like John Gray's writing style and agree with his insights almost completely. I feel that there are a lot of good tips and surprising concepts that are somewhat counter-intuitive that most anyone could benefit from in this book. Certainly anyone going through any process mentioned in the title should read this book, I also think that most everyone else should as well.
Linda
Sep 24, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't let the Mars and Venus title fool you into thinking this is an arm chair psychology book. Good solid advice accompanied by exercises that can promote healing for the reader. I would reccomend this book to serval friends and think they could actually heal the wounds of the past using this book.
Medhat
Feb 10, 2013 Medhat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this really amazing book, that really helped me after my divorce
Gray has organized all my feelings and told me how to deal with it on right way
he helped me to understand all the vague and undesirable emotions and know the way to get over it
now i am reading it again and again, reading chapters related to my dialy emotions
thanx gray
Haryati Abd. Halim
Setiap dari kita pernah mengalami kehilangan orang-orang yang pernah kita sayang. Itu sesuatu yang tak akan dapat kita elak. Kita percaya setiap apa yang berlaku ada hikmah yang tersembunyi.

Memaafkan dan melupakan itu perkara yang sangat perlu dilakukan. Namun, apa yang pasti payah betul untuk melaksanakan.
Tammy
Even though I'm a lesbian and the 'Mars' doesn't technically apply here, I'm hoping this will help me move forward. The ex is emotionally retarded, so maybe this will be a better fit than I expect!
Eleanor
It was concise and helpful. Since I've read it over a long span of time, I have trouble remembering the first half of the book, but I liked how it mentioned a set of issues and perspectives I haven't seen approached anywhere else, namely the differences between the sexes.
Pure
May 14, 2009 Pure rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I have to say is ladies you need to have this book in your collection of books its a good guide for us as ladies in moving forward espicially after aa painful break up or losing someone we love who has died.
Juram
Feb 03, 2016 Juram rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In begin part, not bad to me. I can't fully agree all contents, but sometimes drag sympathy from me.
But, from middle part, I can't agree more. It seems like to target a married couple.

I think when I get marry, it is good to read this book again.
Lynn
Jun 13, 2015 Lynn marked it as abandoned-for-now  ·  review of another edition
I flipped through this at a huge departmental store sometime back and I told myself I had to purchase this one, and just this one. As luck has it, I bought it for eight bucks at a book sale - original price? Perhaps nineteen or, at the very most, twenty seven.
Eric Beaty
Feb 07, 2011 Eric Beaty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with tremendous insight on dealing with the loss of love, letting go, healing, and finding love again. I don't agree with his take on having multiple sexual partners and "good-time sex" though.
  • Getting Past Your Breakup: How to Turn a Devastating Loss into the Best Thing That Ever Happened to You
  • Healing Grief
  • Perfect Love, Imperfect Relationships: Healing the Wound of the Heart
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • Releasing You From The Past: Healing Past Hurt Through Forgiveness
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • Transformation: Understanding the Three Levels of Mascul
  • Living with Your Heart Wide Open: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Unworthiness, Inadequacy, and Shame
  • Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents
  • The Law of the Garbage Truck: How to Respond to People Who Dump on You, and How to Stop Dumping on Others
  • Everything Happens for a Reason: Finding the True Meaning of the Events in Our Lives
  • Getting the Love You Want Workbook: The New Couples' Study Guide
  • After the Affair: Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust When a Partner Has Been Unfaithful
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
  • Power, Freedom, and Grace: Living from the Source of Lasting Happiness
  • The Invisible Force: 365 Ways to Apply the Power of Intention to Your Life
  • The Spirit of Intimacy: Ancient Teachings In The Ways Of Relationships

John Gray is an American author on relationships and personal growth, best known for his 1992 book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, and other "pop psychology" books offering relationship advice.

He was previously married to fellow self-help author Barbara De Angelis, but they divorced in 1984. He is now m
More about John Gray...

“As this pain comes up also focus on the love you feel for him/her. Focus on the love. Love feels good, love is expansive. Love is open and accepting. This love you feel is healing the pain of your loss. One day soon your pain will go and only the love will remain.” 0 likes