Start by marking “The Romantic Egoists: A Pictorial Autobiography from the Scrapbooks and Albums of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald” as Want to Read:

This pictorial autobiography of Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald documents two lives that have become legendary. The Romantic Egoists draws almost entirely from the scrapbooks and photograph albums that the Fitzgeralds scrupulously kept as their personal record and provides a wealth of illustrative material not previously available.

In a unique way this book gives Scott and Zelda

Published December 8th 2003 by University of South Carolina Press (first published November 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Romantic Egoists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Romantic Egoists

Winter Sophia Rose
Mar 20, 2016 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Tragic, Insightful, Heartfelt & Tragic! An Amazing Read! I Loved It!
Claudia
Aug 13, 2014 Claudia rated it it was amazing
I almost classified this as a 'picture book,' but Scott would not approve...it's so much more. Baby books, scrap books, newspaper clippings, reviews, photos. This book, co-written by Scotty Fitzgerald, compiles so many memories of this little doomed family, and shares it all with us.

We see Scott and Zelda grow up, fall in love, gain notice, abuse their fame, destroy themselves and each other. But through it all, they were curiously devoted to each other.

Some observations:

All the bestseller lis
Amber Strangstalien
Aug 12, 2015 Amber Strangstalien rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book! Full of interesting pictures, love letters and memorabilia! I would not have even considered myself a fan of Fitzgerald before.
Sylvia Sierra
Jun 06, 2016 Sylvia Sierra rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this over-sized book from my university library and enjoyed it very much. It gives a full and detailed account of both Scott and Zelda's lives and how they were intertwined, skillfully weaving together their own scrapbooks, critical reviews, letters, telegrams, and excerpts from their written works. It even includes full glossy page prints of Zelda's paintings, which are beautiful and strange. I thought this book demonstrated how much a part of each other's lives Scott and Zelda remai ...more
Bill Peschel
A great, overlooked collection of photos and memorabilia, taken from Fitzgerald's scrapbooks. Stuff you'd never see in standard biographies.
Emily
Mar 04, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
A must read for any Fitzgerald fanatic!
Gabriela
Feb 10, 2016 Gabriela rated it really liked it
If you want to get acquainted with the Fitzgeralds, this much-more-than a pictorial autobiography is a good place to begin. Compiled and edited by their own daughter, Scottie Fitzgerald, The Romantic Egoists is filled with personal records you'd never come across in standard biographies. As a Fitzgeralds enthusiast, I found this fascinating.

Among numerous photos, clippings and letters there was one specific entry ("What a ‘Flapper Novelist’ Thinks of His Wife") where Scott interviews Zelda in t
Allison
Dec 10, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing
This (enormous) book is a fascinating and personal glimpse into the fascinating lives of F.Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald. Compiled from personal scrapbooks and the meticulous personal diaries of F. Scott by their daughter Scottie, this was such an interesting read for a person like me who is obsessed with the Fitzgeralds.
Casey Laura Campbell
Apr 06, 2015 Casey Laura Campbell rated it it was amazing
This book is stunning! Their daughter is a collab in creating this. A perfect book for lovers of their work.
Rebecca Dunbar
Jul 02, 2014 Rebecca Dunbar rated it it was amazing
A veritable treasure trove for anyone who loves Fitzgerald. A dream to sift through! Five stars.
Marlies
Mar 10, 2016 Marlies rated it really liked it
I've been fasciated by F.S.F. and Zelda since college....so I enjoyed this bizarre collection of memorabilia. Included are facsimiles of pages from many scrapbooks the family created over the years.
Lance Huffman
Jun 26, 2015 Lance Huffman rated it really liked it
A scrap book for anyone fascinated by Fitzgeralds. My most looked at coffee table book.
Molly
Oct 22, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing
Insanely brilliant. Gives insight into the life of F. Scott via original documents and the personal scrapbooks he kept and the clippings he kept of his own fame. Very endearing look at a writer whom we think of as a genius, someone who perhaps automatically wrote a novel that we all "had" to read in high school... but in reality he was actually very prone to insecurity and self doubt.
Susie
May 01, 2013 Susie rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
This is a collection of letters, clippings, photographs and stories from the scrapbooks of F. Scott, Zelda and Scottie Fitzgerald. It is great to see what they kept, photos from different periods of their lives and their versions of experiences as told through letters.
Ann Piccirillo
Jun 24, 2010 Ann Piccirillo rated it it was amazing
An amazing pictorial biography co-edited by Scottie Fitzgerald that contains pictures, clippings, journal entries, and letters taken from her parents' scrapbooks that have never before been printed. A must read/must have for all Scott and Zelda fans.
Lisa Mcbroom
May 07, 2013 Lisa Mcbroom rated it it was amazing
I always love to look at this when I visit my friend George in Atlanta. He has a copy of this and you really get to know Zelda nad Scott visually through this wonderful scrapbook!
Jean
Nov 08, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I loved The Romantic Egoists. I have been very into Hemingway and the Fitzgeralds lately and this biography, full of pictures and other memorabilia was amazing.
D'Arcy
Sep 27, 2013 D'Arcy rated it it was amazing
An absolute must for fans of the Fitzgeralds. It was like having their own personal scrapbook in your hands. I found it fascinating.
christy
Mar 08, 2008 christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-generation, bio
i gave myself a project to find out as much about the lost generation as i could. this book was part of that project.
Soudabeh
Soudabeh marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Caroline Butler
Caroline Butler marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
  • Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin: Writers Running Wild in the Twenties
  • Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald: An American Woman's Life
  • Scott Fitzgerald
  • Everybody Was So Young: Gerald and Sara Murphy: A Lost Generation Love Story
  • Living Well Is the Best Revenge (Modern Library)
  • The Far Side of Paradise: A Biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Zelda
  • Flappers: Six Women of a Dangerous Generation
  • Anything Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties
  • Charmed Circle: Gertrude Stein and Company
  • The Damned and the Beautiful: American Youth in the 1920's
  • That Summer in Paris
7222053
Matthew Joseph Bruccoli was an American professor of English at the University of South Carolina. He was the preeminent expert on F. Scott Fitzgerald. He also wrote about writers such as Ernest Hemingway, Thomas Wolfe and John O'Hara, and was editor of the 'Dictionary of Literary Biography'.

Bruccoli's interest in Fitzgerald began in 1947 when he heard a radio broadcast of Fitzgerald's short story
More about Matthew J. Bruccoli...