Start by marking “The Snows of Kilimanjaro and the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” as Want to Read:
The Snows of Kilimanjaro and the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Reflects Hemingway's obsession with big -- game hunting and offers a powerful portrait of how men confront their fear of death -- and the emptiness of their lives.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2000 by Books on Tape (first published 1961)

Be the first to ask a question about The Snows of Kilimanjaro and the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

Over the past year and a half, I've started writing fairly seriously. It's been mostly short stories, and I think because of this, I've grown much more fond of short stories. In many cases, I tend to prefer them to novels. It's a lot more compact, and you can really get the punch of a story better if you've read it in one sitting. With a novel, it always takes me long enough that I forget things by the time a given story thread is closed up.

These were both really well-done (who knew Hemingway c
I read "The Short happy Life of Francis Macomber). I think I liked this one because of how it got me thinking. Hemingway was so exact with his use of symbols and images - (spoiler alert) and really does anyone know if Margaret really meant to do it?

As a reader we are never privileged to know the thoughts of Mrs. Macomber. We know what she says and we know the thoughts of Wilson, who in the end leads the reader to believe that she shot her husband on purpose. Wilson said, “That was a pretty thin
Oct 08, 2010 Amalie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hemingway fans and to anyone with a taste for a good prose
'The Snows of Kilimanjaro' is probably the best from Hemingway’s short stories. Just like ‘The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber’ this story also deals with the death of a man on safari

The Snows of Kilimanjaro is set in the snow-covered Mount Kilimanjaro, in Africa. The story is a combination of fact and fiction since the main character is based on Hemingway, himself.

Harry, the protagonist, is a writer. While facing his imminent death on an African safari, his thoughts go back to his life ex
Khalid Al Khalili
Hemingway strikes again with these two short stories in which he portrays the feelings of regret and contempt of a writer dying of gangrene. The recollections of lost chances and opportunities is concise, keeping in line with Hemingway's style of writing, but capable of touching you as if they were our own failures.

The second story is about Francis Macomber, a wealthy coward on Safari with his wife, and not-so-trusty guide. Attempting to face his fears, we are granted several glimpses into his m
Mandy France
I would give the short story "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" 3 stars--I found the main character's journey to death an interesting one--even though he was an ass.

I hated the "Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber". Maybe it is because I am vegan and don't appreciate reading about animals being killed for sport. I was hoping there was some hidden element to this character but there wasn't.
As much as Twain is American, Hemingway is un-American. He is the most famous narrator of "losers but proud". He came to the world of literature with Nick Adams, lived as Nick lived, and died as Nick would die! Laconic but efficient, compendious but moving. Wishing for peace he lived in war and came to the coast with the fish skeleton left in his hand, as Santiago did (Old Man and the Sea(
یکی از داستان های خوش ساخت همینگوی است که در فارسی یک بار توسط شجاع الدین شفا (1336)، یک بار توسط جواد شمس (
Ghaith Lattouf
"He had had his life and it was over and then he went on living it again with different people"
Alexey Makarov
Интересные рассказы.
Заставляющие задуматься о некоторых аспектах своей жизни.
Sarthak Parajulee
A great Hemingway classic. Poured his heart out, he did. Loved the way he portrayed the the frustrating blabbering of a dying man, and, a writer's fear of not being able to write about all those things that he'd always mused.
Woah, misogynisitic much, Mr. Hemingway? I won't even say "he never met the right woman" because I think with that frame of mind, he wouldn't have known her if she'd stopped a bullet for him. On the other hand, it seems as though he's unsatisfied with "manly" stuff too (mostly killing different things). Now that I think about it, he seems dissatisfied with gender roles in general and stifled by the expectations attached to gender.
I wish half-stars were possible. It'd give it 4.5/5.

I love Hemingway's narrative voice. It's so raw and drawing. If that makes sense. There was only one part that dragged a bit for me: hence the less-than-five.

Read it. It's good. :)
Chris Gager
Another prep school read. "Macomber" was actually read to us by our teacher Al Wise. I'm not sure why. But I did read "Snows" somewhere along the line. Haven't read much Hemingway. Date read is a guess.
I keep trying to read Hemingway and I just can't love it. Everything is beautifully written, but so-o-o-o depressing. There are no appreciable highs and lows, just a steady drone of hopelessness.
Well, maybe 1.5 stars. Other reviews don't have much to say about these stories about failure. No wonder I haven't read Hemingway since high school.
I reread this short is very memorable. Once you read it, you will remember it, besides I love with a setting in AFRICA!
My first exposure to the short stories of Hemingway. Very impressed.
Jane Rutherford
Too male for me -- I just couldn't get into either of these.
John Arnette
Hemingway at his absolute best:)
Markie Mark
Markie Mark marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Nora marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Julia marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Motaher marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
  • The Negro Speaks of Rivers
  • A Dog's Tale
  • Press Enter
  • Sailing to Byzantium
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...