Start by marking “A Monster Calls” as Want to Read:
A Monster Calls
Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  58,265 ratings  ·  10,572 reviews
At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting — he’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments.

The monster in his backyard is different. It’s ancient. And wild. And it wants somethi
Audio Cassette
Published 2012 by Scobre Press (first published May 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Monster Calls, please sign up.

Geraldine i would say it's a mix between a graphic novel and a young adult book. that's how i interpret it.

You can also find this review on my blog, Cait's Corner!

First things first: This almost never happens, but I have to admit that I cried at the end of this book; I clutched my cute little kitty-kat and bawled.

However, I didn't cry because of what the book in general, necessarily, but because of what it did to me. It drags out your saddest memories and pains, kicking and screaming, makes you look them right in the face and watch them all happen all over again, no matter how much you don't want
Wendy Darling
In the dark of night, when the house is still, what fears creep into your heart? For Conor O'Malley, his nightmares take the shape of a very old and very dangerous monster who visits him every night at seven minutes past midnight. He's half-convinced that these must be dreams of his fevered mind. But how can they be, when the visits are so vivid and when he finds physical evidence of the monster's existence the next day?

Conor's nightmares begin shortly after his mother starts her treatments for
Emily May

I got back to my apartment in Bulgaria and thought I'd read a little bit of this novel before I went to bed. 2 hours later I was still sat in my original position but by this time I was sobbing my heart out. Literally sat there crying like a baby to myself. I doubt this book will be everyone's cup of tea but, whatever it has, it really worked it's magic on me.

I thought A Monster Calls was pretty much amazing in every way; from it's darkly beautiful illustrations (worth buying a paper copy for)
A Monster Calls did not constitute what I first visualized in term of story, plot and themes.

Due to the spooky cover, mystifying title and evasive blurb, my mind pictured something closer to the fantasy world than our contemporary one. Yet, the author remarkably brought together the real and the unreal, inserted in the narration that which touches one, can tear another apart and is a component of what we call ‘‘life,’’ and skilfully unfolded what laid deep inside Conor hidden…in the fragile corn
Steph Sinclair

A Monster Calls has to be the most inventive book I've read this year. And I find myself struggling to put in words how much this book has touched me. But it did. If you haven't read A Monster Calls, I suggest you immediately purchase it. Don't read the e-book because you would miss out on the amazing artwork. This book is stunning. Masterfully written and beautifully drawn.

I remember the first time a book made me cry like this. I was in eighth grade in my English class, sitting under my desk i
this book is a perfect modern fairy tale.

not a nice disney one with singing birds where everyone gets to go home with their prince and all of their limbs, but the older, darker kind involving foot-choppery and decimation.

lemme step back a bit. i added this book to my to-read shelf the moment i saw its cover here on i knew nothing about it except that something in me bellowed "WANT!" i did not win it in the firstreads giveaway (naturally) and as more and more people began writing r
I don’t think I can write a review for this book. I feel neither equipped, nor inclined, to make an evaluation of A Monster Calls based strictly on its literary style and merits. (Therefore, if you’re looking for an analysis of the plot, characters etc – you will be better served with another review).

So I’m writing a response instead. Or, I will attempt to.

I have a difficult relationship with books that deal with the subject of death and grief.

Occasionally, I find a book that is moving and re
The Holy Terror
I just read this book from cover to cover.

I have no idea how to rate it.

It is the worst book I've read.

I would never be able to recommend it,

because I hated it.

It's ripped my heart in two.

It'll make you think of losing the one person who means the most to you.

Or it'll make you think of those you've already lost.

It's not a happy book, but it's an important one.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Such a beautiful and gripping story. I feel like this is one of those books that will stay with you long after you've read it.
I don't believe that you can ever learn everything from a single story.

Many tales and many lessons contribute to an individual's personal truth. However, if you're looking for something that comes close to being a one-stop-shop for all your personal emotional needs, this would be it.

A Monster Calls contains breathtaking art by Jim Kay and is paired with a story of heartbreaking artistry from Patrick Ness.

Do I recommend this book? A million times yes and a million times no. How can I recommend so
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jun 30, 2015 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Paige Bookdragon
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade

“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between."

Reading this somehow transported me to my 10 year old me when my grandfather was still alive and would tell me tales, most of them either horror or something that would teach a moral lesson and I would be all ears, wide-eyed, heart pounding, completely engaged and involved, emotions guided by that deep, wise, kind voice, anxious to know how one story will end but at the same time afraid it
Quick Note: This review is going to be extremely incoherent and incredibly useless. So if you have seen this book anywhere around and been a little bit curious…. I urge you to read it.
It probably won’t surprise you to see that I’ve decided not to write this review in my usual form. This is because the ‘High Points’ would consist of just a picture of the book. The Low Points would be redundant (I can usually find a few low points, even if I adore the book, but this one… I got nothing). I can’t t
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
You want to know what a boohooing baby I am? It took me a month to write this review and it wasn't because I was being my normal lazy self. Everytime I tried to write, my eyes just filled with tears. I'm such a baby!

Ok.. here it is....

When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to go on a big senior trip that was going to occur right after graduation. I had no money. It was just me and my 19 year old sister. The school stated that I could fundraise but that is about all I could do. My sister’s
Oh my God. This.
This is why I read.

I don't always find what I'm looking for in the books I read. Most of the time, I'm disappointed. Sometimes I'm so angry because the book is so bad and God, I wasted my time and I'm never getting it back. And, damn it, if it's so bad, why even keep on reading?

You keep reading, because sometimes, you find a book that blows you away. When you start the book, you're someone. And when you finish the book, you're someone else. Someone different. Someone better.

When going into this book, I was expecting a horror/creepy/spooky story, and that isn't what I got.. exactly. What I mean is that the overall tone of the book is creepy, and the drawings definitely are spooky, but the story itself is a contemporary tale about a boy trying to understand the feelings he has in regards to his mothers illness.

I loved this book. I loved it. It is absolutely now one of my "all-time favourites". Here's why:

1) The illustrations: The artwork in this book is BEAUTIFUL. It
The Ugly Cry.

You know the kind of crying that's so chest-heavingly horrific that you look at your face in the mirror during or after and what you see is so awful you think, "No wonder I'm single." or "If anyone saw me in this state I would definitely be single."?

The Ugly Cry.

I have wept during many books. Silent, salty tears. Or maybe a little sob escaping. Or maybe even a tough, sobering cry. But only three books have elicited the Ugly Cry.

1. Kate DiCamillo's The Miraculous Journey of Edward
Raeleen Lemay
This book was so beautiful.

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Feb 08, 2014 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The child within
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Hooked by the Title and Cover
Minute I saw Jim Kay’s cover illustration I knew I’d read this. Edgy, his use of rapid, almost angry slashing strokes and a palette of grey capturing the tone that permeates this novel to perfection. Young adult but read it anyway, only takes a few hours and does what the best fables do, speaks to all ages. It never lets up from this hook of an opening line “The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.” In the category of contemporary fairy tales I’m putting this right up there with C ...more
This is great book! And very quick to read so if you are interested on it, you'll find out that you'd read it in no time. Also, it helps that it's a page turner, since the story has many elements to keep you hooked to it. I hate to classify books for some specific age, since I think that books shouldn't have any age or genre. Books should be read by men or women at any age and they should be as good as effective. However, one can't deny that the author made this story thinking in kids and/or ear ...more
Read along with Cecile. Unfortunately neither of us liked it.

My motto should be “I don’t fucking get it”. Maybe I’ll change my name. Litchick (who doesn’t fucking get it). Can I drop the f-bomb in my GR name? I’m not sure. Maybe if I put q’s in there it’ll be less offensive. Litchick (who doesn’t fuqing get it). Better? No that looks kind of dumb, doesn’t it?

I use that word so much that I can’t really bring myself to butcher it anyway. And why should I? I’m not a fan of censorship. Litchick (w
Patrick Ness is becoming one of my all time favourite authors. His stories are so beautiful, achingly beautiful that I just don't have the words to describe how they make me feel. <3
Aug 10, 2015 Denisse rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denisse by: The beautiful cover <3
Shelves: favorites
Buddy Read at: Emma's Tea Party la ultima vez que hice uno andábamos con thrillers psicológicos y ahora andamos de lloronas? Como sucedió? XD

A middle grade book that shows kids not everything is black or white? Yes, please. A Monster Calls has a simple goal, and doesn’t waste hundreds and hundreds of pages on unnecessary situations. It deals with something so real and human, it’s almost impossible not to connect. Captures the essence of puberty and isolation in few chapters. Emotive and beautifu
Amy (Foxy)
PRICE DROP $1.99 ->

Beautiful and Profound!

In no way is this book a light read even though the genre is young adult. A Monster Calls is Conor's journey to the truth. A truth that no one wants to experience. Conor is a 13 year old boy who is struggling with a stressful situation.
"You do not write your life with words. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do."-Monster

The last quarter of the book
Nov 07, 2011 Flannery rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Flannery by: Goodreaders
Last Fourth of July, I played a party game called Time’s Up with some friends. The gist of the game is that everyone has a partner and you start with a certain number of cards as a group—say 40. Each one has a different movie/television show/book title on it and you use the same cards for the entire game so if you have great recall, the game is much easier. In the first round, you try to get your partner to guess the title by describing the movie without using specific words. (like Taboo) The s ...more
Damn you Patrick Ness!!

You rip my heart out of my chest, squeeze it, bounce of the wall like a tennis ball, burn and shred it, put it back together and then shove it back in.

I’m not sure what to do with it now.

One night a monster came to call on Conor just after midnight. The monster looks like the yew tree from his back yard, but all big and scary and, well, walking about. But what the monster really is, is a monster we all deal with, he is the ‘fear of loss’ monster. Not ‘loss’ itself exactl
This will be one of the shortest reviews I've ever written about a book that I truly love:

Books don't make me cry . . . until now.

The end.
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.

If I could get the whole world to read just one book it would be A Monster Calls. I could list here a whole ream of adjectives to try and describe it -- beautiful, haunting, heartbreaking, lyrical -- but none do it justice. I would need to invent adjectives, and even then I would come up short.

I can tell you A Monster Calls is the warmest hug, the hug that makes you feel the most safe, when you are at your most frightened. The world can be
This book is so breathtakingly brilliant and I don’t have anything to say about it. I feel stunned.

My fellow reviewers have done such a wonderful job at keeping mum about the plot of this book, so I will promise to do the same. This review will be very brief.

All I can say is, if you’ve ever experienced grief or loss of any kind, then please, please, for the love of everything, just go and get this book. It’s indescribable, beautiful, and true. The writing is just spectacular. I’d like to gather
My heart is aching.
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
Boy, when you judge a book by its cover, you can be completely wrong. I read the little jacket synopsis, and I saw the creepy vibe of the illustrations, but once I started reading this I couldn’t stop. It’s not what I expected, at all which is also a big reason why I loved it.
Conor is a thirteen year old boy whose mother is battling cancer. One night he starts having nightmares of a monster that comes to his house and starts talking to him. The monster tells him three stories and the last one Co
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • Okay for Now
  • Plain Kate
  • Bigger than a Bread Box
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Long Lankin
  • Leverage
  • My Name Is Mina (Skellig, #0.5)
  • Bog Child
  • Everybody Sees the Ants
  • Paintings from the Cave: Three Novellas
  • Hidden
  • Half Brother
  • Splendors and Glooms
  • How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous
  • Tales from Outer Suburbia
  • The Riverman (The Riverman Trilogy, #1)
  • Breadcrumbs
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness...

“You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.” 1631 likes
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.” 966 likes