Start by marking “Deadline” as Want to Read:
Deadline

Deadline (The Godmothers #4)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  527 ratings  ·  51 reviews
No sooner have Toots Loudenberry and her three best friends Sophie, Ida, and Mavis returned from Sacramento, where Sophie provided some much-needed psychic advice to the First Lady of California, when another situation demands their attention Laura Leigh, a Hollywood starlet whose main talent seems to be landing in trouble, is missing. Toots' daughter, Abby, has both a per ...more
Audio
Published May 1st 2012 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadline

Jessica Kelishes
Yeah.. This one was mostly review.. it felt like it took forever to get started and then when it should have been a huge build up it was a little disappointing.. There was a part where a couple of the characters finally do something that has been building since the beginning.. and what a let down the way it was handled in the book.. All that for a big fat nothing.. Also, the characters keep getting mixed up in the writing and that is a little confusing.. Plus there are more errors on this one wi ...more
Bev
I didn't realize when i bought this book its from a series. I won't pick up another one. I'm not a name dropper, don't like name droppers. The writing could have said, she got in her car.....no, she got in her Escalade. It could have said his credit card......no it was his Am. Ex. gold card. They didn't go out to any old place, no its the Polo Lounge. Was the writer getting kickback for dropping the names of these places? Don't know. Not my style of writing.
Heather
Deadline follows the path of four well-to-do older, but active, best friends. Touts is the richest, after 8 husbands and owns substantial homes in both NC and CA. They move around in private jets and fancy cars. Sophie holds seances, with some skill and seems to have a particular skill for unearthing murders. Mavis and Ida "dress the dead" with a specialty line of "Good Mourning" clothing and make-up. Kind of a creepy plot but it is all tied together and perhaps uplifted by Touts' daughter, Abby ...more
Marion Vinette
Although the storyline was ok.....I found the writing kind of elementary. Not one of her best, although, I loved the sisterhood series, near the end it was getting boring as well with repitition.
Saadia
Interesting group of characters: four "seasoned" women who remind me of the Golden Girls TV Show and the "Hot in Cleveland" TV show. Basically, women who are financially independent or even very, very wealthy and who have survived many tribulations and are now a tight-knit supportive group. They speak their mind, boy... They say things like bitch slap and showing the finger and calling each other sluts. This may be the way real people behave, so I am not sure this is what I am seeking in an "esc ...more
Melanie Adkins
Four women who have been friends since grade school are now living together and sharing life. They've helped each other through some trying times over the years. These aren't your typical senior citizens. These ladies all have talents and they use them every day. Toots has the money and owns several businesses. Ida is the flirt and does make up for the deceased. Mavis has a clothing line for those in mourning and for the deceased. Sophie is they psychic and seance coordinator. Together they solv ...more
Carol  MacInnis
Theresa "Toots" Loudenberry and her three best friends, Mavis, Ida and Sophie are Toots' daughter, Abby's godmothers. All four women live together in a beach house in Malibu and are all widowed and are all very well off. Abby learned of a B-grade actress, Laura Leigh's disappearance and the last person to be seen with Laura is Chris Clay, Entertainment Attorney and stepson of her mother. Since Toots has been married eight times, Abby and Chris are in no way related other than the fact that Toots ...more
Nancy
So,so... I guess I just don't like this series that much. Too many unbelievable things going on....

No sooner have Toots Loudenberry and her three best friends--Sophie, Ida, and Mavis--returned from Sacramento, where Sophie provided some much-needed psychic advice to the First Lady of California, when another situation demands their attention. . .

Carol
I'm a serious Fern Michael's fan. Her writing is very enjoyable. This is my first in her Godmother series, and it is a real cute background of which to write from. There are four woman that have grown fairly old together and they are all successful in the business world in one way or another. One of the main characters Toots Loudenberry and her three friends Sophie, Ida and Mavis have shared joys and successes and many problems and marriages. Sophie has developing psychic skills and it has been ...more
Chris

Laura Leigh, a Hollywood starlet whose main talent seems to be landing in trouble, is missing. Toots' daughter, Abby, has both a personal and professional stake in the story. Not only is she editor-in-chief at gossip magazine The Informer, but enterta
Jacqueline J Cross
Loved it

The more I get into this series the more I feel I can have in my golden years. These women follow their passions even after retirement. They stuck together uplifted each other and helped each other and these are things we should and could do for our friends. Lessons I'm not too old to learn.
Annette K Hernandez
I enjoy this series about godmothers.

This story is fun, suspenseful, and even a little creepy. I love the part of the story about the man that committed suicide.
Julie Barrett
Deadline by Fern Michaels
The women of the sisterhood are summoned to CA in hopes to treat the first lady and rid her of the nightmares she's having about the death of her uncle, JFK.
After arriving via private jet, really loved the airplane terminology about how to land, they are brought to the governor's mansion to perform the seance.
Toot's daughter Abbey is not the editor of The Informer and she's hot on the trail of a missing actress.
Her stepson Chris clay was the last to see the actress.
Was
Elise
This was enjoyable to listen to a book on tape. The ending was predictable.
Liz Destefano
Another story of friends that take care of each other
Lori
Perhaps this is not a fair review because I have not read any of the other books in the series but I simply could not stand the 4 women (friends) as characters in this novel! They just grated on my nerves and I did not think the plot was all that exciting. However, I seem to really like the other novels by Fern Michaels (and I am currently reading one and enjoying it now).
Roma Del
I was glad when Chris finally got away from Laura.
Lucy Bilik
I think this one along with the first were the best of the series. A well rounded series overall. This book combined a suspense, supernatural, amazing connections, and some fun. A book about missing Toots son while he was a person of interest due to missing b-rate spoiled brat actress. The suspense of the search and unknown is incredible. Like the resolution and fulfillment of other girls professional lives and the ending.
BJ
Another Installment in The Godmothers series. Toots, et al visit the Governor's Mansion in Sacramento, Chris disappears, is found, and the romance between he and Abby heats up, Toots and the Godmothers retreat to Charleston when Bernice has a health scare, Goebel makes another appearance and the "friendship" between he and Sophie heats up. Another excellent visit with the "old broads" and their friends and family.
Linda
This book is about four women who have been friends for 50 years and they solve people's problems. One is a psychic and two of them work with makeup and cosmetics for funerals; another does clothes for corpses. I liked how the characters tease each other and have a good time. There are a few nice men in it, too. Fun to read. Very believable dialogue. I would recommend this for women, mostly.
Debra S
I wanted to like this more than I did. It felt as thought there was too much thrown together to fill the pages. Instead of sticking with the main issue of a missing family member, it went off on other tangents that might have been interesting or used as the main line for a separate books.

Oh, well. It was a quick, pleasant but not exciting read for a cool, cloudy day.
Kathy Warren
I love Fern Michaels. Have read all the Godmothers and still have two more after this on my book shelf. This series started with a bang but is losing its luster.
Jeanne
Could have done without the first 6 or 7 chapters--then the book started to live up to Fern Michael’s standards. The first two chapters were an entire waste and added no value to the story. I do love the Godmother series, and starting on chapter 7 or 8, I was fully engrossed in the story line again.
Patricia Solla
I should have read this book before reading Breaking News. I have enjoyed reading this "godmothers" series it's quite entertaining. I just take exception to the crassness of the four friends. I'm an old biddy but I can't say I use the foul language that these women use at the drop of hat.
Cheryl
I "read" this book on audio and found it a fun book to listen to. It appears to be #4 in a series, but I didn't know that until I started to log it. So, that being said, I guess it is not neccessary to read the prior books first. I do plan on reading the previous books as this was a fun book.
Karen
I'm a huge fan of Fern Michael's and I enjoy the Godmother's series..This was a wonderful book..A starlet is missing and Chris is also missing and thought to be involved in her disappearance..The book moves along at a good pace and there's several romances playing out..Highly recommend this book..
Jackie
I absolutely love this godmothers series! These women are true friends in every sense and do what needs to be done to take care of each other and family!
Cindy
This is one of Fern Michaels Godmother series. It has just the right mystery to it. she keeps you guessing till the end.
Amy
Maybe it's because I took a break from the series for a while, but this one was a quick, easy, entertaining read!
Mary Ellen
I enjoy these 4 senior citizens and their antics. If it wasn't for some occult in the books, I would rate them higher.
  • By Starlight
  • Catching Fireflies (The Sweet Magnolias, #9)
  • Protecting Her Own (Guardians, Inc., #2)
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • Sugar And Spice (Silhouette Romance, No 494)
  • Moonlight Kiss (Cricket Creek, #5)
  • Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • Heart of Glass (Irish Angel #3)
  • The Black Madonna
  • Informed Risk
  • Letter from a Stranger
  • A Home For Christmas (Angel Ridge, #2)
  • Larkspur Cove (Moses Lake, #1)
  • The Accidental Bride (Summer Island #2)
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I ...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)