Start by marking “Further: Beyond the Threshold” as Want to Read:
Further: Beyond the Threshold

Further: Beyond the Threshold

Humankind is spread across three thousand light years in a myriad of worlds and habitats known as the Human Entelechy. Linked by a network of wormholes with Earth at its center, it is the world Captain RJ Stone awakens to after a twelve-thousand-year cryogenic suspension.

Stone soon finds himself commanding the maiden voyage of the first spacecraft to break the light speed
Audio CD
Published May 22nd 2012 by Brilliance Audio (first published May 20th 2012)

Elijs Dima
May 26, 2012 Elijs Dima rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is, on balance, just on the edge between 'not recommended' and 'meh'.

The general concept and ideas Roberson toys with here are promising in potentia. The downfall is the absolutely nothing is being done with them.
There is no character development, no personal arcs. People are introduced, and never ever stray outside their single-paragraph archetypical characterizations.
There are no events happening throughout the first half of the book. Literally nothing.
There is exactly one single confli
Tamahome
Hah. This is like Doctor Who or Hitchhiker's Guide. Deceptive cover. The cover should have a lot of crazy-looking creatures.

Nice vocabulary. Ebook is probably the ideal way to read this. It's nice to be able to quickly look up the occasional exotic word.

59/343: Like science fiction candy. Future earth is cool.

Old interview on Functional Nerds. http://functionalnerds.com/2010/09/ep...

He wrote the Fables Cinderella comic too. John Annealio says the science in his books doesn't get in the way of ca
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

In the 22nd century, Captain Ramachandra Jason ("RJ") Stone and a small crew of five others embarked on a perilous but hopeful journey to the stars - spending the 10 light-year journey in cryogenic sleep en route to Alpha Centauri B. When RJ awakens, however, he is not surrounded by his fellow travelers on the surface of a new Earth-like planet four decades later, as planned. Instead, the Captain finds himself the sole survivor of Wayfarer One's unlucky f
Kerry Nietz
I’m torn on how to review this book. I think it is wildly imaginative. For instance, the premise is great—a deep space explorer is woken from cryogenic suspension later than he expected. Sure, that notion has been used before in everything from Rip Van Winkle to Buck Rogers to Aliens. But what sets this book apart is the amount of time involved. Not tens or even hundreds of years, but thousands.

The irony here is that the protagonist (Captain RJ Stone) went out looking for alien life, but by the
Chris
Mar 13, 2014 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At around 50% through this book I felt there had been no plot progression, there was too much explanation, brought on by how widely different this future is from the present. At 70% through there was at last movement through a plot, though it was basically just that, movement, still no real story arcs.

The story itself really happened in the last 30% of the book, and at times could be exciting in it's own right. However, I feel that the most interesting part of this book could have been an explor
Chip
Jul 01, 2015 Chip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a particularly deep book but it's lots of fun. A good portion of the book, we are following the main character around looking at cool futuristic things or ideas. Roberson's description of these objects are incredible but it doesn't make for much of a story. Only in the last 3rd of the book does anything happen. If you like Buck Rogers in the 25th century, give this book a try.
Alice Paqman
Feb 13, 2013 Alice Paqman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this one 5 out of 5!
From beginning to ind this book had my attention and kept it.
I love that in a book! I really hope he writes a sequel to this. I would really love to learn more about Captain RJ Stone and his travelling mates.

I love books that explore a unique way of looking at things. Trust me when I say the Chris Roberson has quite the imagination and would truly love to hear his thoughts on a few subjects.
I loved his approach to RJ Stone and RJ's thoughts when thrown into suc
Jeff Raymond
This is a book that I've had in my Kindle for a while, and being that I'm becoming more and more of a fan of Chris Roberson by the day, I finally bumped this one into the front.

There are two great things about this book:

1) It is solid, five-star, classic science fiction worldbuilding. In a sense, half the book is worldbuilding, and it's glorious. We spend a ton of time establishing everything around us, it's not hard science but feels like it, and so on. It's great fun.

2) In the same classic se
Iain Gray
Jun 15, 2012 Iain Gray rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This started well and built a well rounded main character transported so far into the future due to cryogenic stasis that lasted 12,000 years. The future is, as expected, a myriad of "human" intellegence in various forms, this is portrayed well. Energy is the currency and transportation is instantaneous to all the now known worlds via portals, though the destinations all have to be travelled to first by sub light transport to build the other end of the portals. The science behind these is plausi ...more
Paul
May 01, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I think its impossible to review this book without commenting on the fact that it was published by Amazon. In terms of the quality of the printing the UK book industry doesn't have much to worry about. Its US style binding so after 10 minutes of reading the front and back cover were already banana-ing away from the book contents. The inks were to heavy for the paper so my brand new book arrived looking like someone head beat me in spilling a cup of tea over it ;) Also, this is only a guess given ...more
David Willson
Jul 08, 2012 David Willson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book at a book sale, and it had a cover note from John Scalzi saying he'd been "reading Chris Roberson for years ... Welcome. Enjoy."

Well, I couldn't pass that up. And it turned out to be a great book.

I particularly liked Roberson's concept of the Human Entelechy that exists 12 thousand years in the future. Not only do AI's coexist with humans but so do uplifted apes, lions, killer whales and just about anything else, because sentience can inhabit any form — and for any of them not to
John Mann
I had a lot of fun reading this book. It reminded me of a futuristic Rip Van Winkle story. I liked the author's approach to technology in the future, and the story was just right in weight for my taste. However, I would have liked to have had a few surprises along the way!

I haven't looked into the author's other books, but this could easily be the first book of a series. The ends are mostly tied up at the end, but I could definitely see more 'adventures' to come, as it's really only getting star
Johnathan Tamayo
Such a fun read!

Set 12,000 years into the future, Roberson is at complete liberty creating a universe all his own. Recreating his vision can be mind boggling at times and that's what makes it such a fun read. I was often left with the thought: "how does he come up with this?!" That, along with a solid storyline with many underlying themes and witty dialogue that is downright hilarious at times easily makes this one of my favorite books.

Granted, he frequently used vocabulary that seemed unnecess
Nathan
Feb 26, 2016 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Other views have surmised the failings of the book pretty well.
The characters are flat. They barley are 2 dimensional. Their ability for character growth is as flat as the plot.

The premise of this book is for the author to go "oh lookie I can imagine this" without thinking if imagining it was a good idea. The whole story is just to place the author in a place to write about something he thinks is "shiny". I found much of imagination to be unbelievable and fairly pedantic.

The only character growt
Trunatrschild
I rolled my eyes when I read the description, a man wakes up in the far far future... how trite and over used! Well, it is, but it's well written and within that plot outline a little odd enough to keep my interest. It sort of has a feel of several ideas mashed together, a man wakes up into the far future, barely has time to orient himself and is suddenly the captain of a starship... weird. BUT it is well written, I had a good time, definitely escapist literature. The end part IS almost space op ...more
Read Ng
A very interesting take off on the Planet of the Apes time shift plot. Roberson does not try to overwhelm you with all of the possible advances that could be made in 12,000 years of human advancement and to the associated future shock. He leaves himself plenty of room to explore the world for future books in a possible series. But this story screams "I'm the start of a series!" I feel too many authors focus on developing series and trilogies without properly "setting the hook" to get me addicted ...more
Kurt Galley
Hmmmm what to say about this book. It was an enjoyable read and I blew through it in a couple of days. When it comes to giving it a star rating I settled on a 3 stars and it just didn't have enough going for it to merit a 4 star review. That being said it is still a strong 3 star review from me.

The author has created a interesting vibrant universe and populated it with a vast array of humans however as much as I enjoyed the book it left me feeling like there should have been more. To many thing
Pablo Padilla
I was entertained throughout the whole book. What did trouble me is the amount of details involved in almost every aspect, which in the end lead to nothing. I missed more action, more depth, insight, etc.

I am impressed, however, with the imaginative capacity, execution, and creativity of the author. The overabundance of details was enjoyable most of the times, partly because it makes you wonder of how the future's actually gonna turn out.

When it comes to the diversity of intelligent beings, I ha
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
A pretty interesting premise and entertaining characters.

I actually quite liked this book, and would have given it 4 stars if not for one glaring error in timeline control on the author's part, which annoyed me on both ends of the timelapse.. both on the front end when I didn't understand, and then on the ass-end when I found the fault.

It's a worthwhile read, albeit short, and a good start to the series I assume it's supposed to spearhead, but as a stand-alone book it's lacking a little bit of
Derick Douglas
Mar 06, 2013 Derick Douglas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Some good popcorn sci-fi. Not to sell the book short calling it popcorn. It does a great job of world building. Roberson creates 2 futures. One the near future after a global disaster. The other 12000 years later. It is a unique take on culture and identity as sentience evolves. It does introduce many new culture/species which don't feel fully explored/presented before abandoning them for space action-adventure. The fish out of water, first act could have filled the whole book and it would have ...more
Francine Zane
The story drags. I tried to finish it, honest I did. Too much time was spent in world building and not enough time on the plot. The author has an amazing imagination. The book reads like he tried to cram every single idea he has ever had into Further: Beyond the Threshold. I have to wonder if he thinks this is the only book he will ever write.

I give Further two stars instead of one because Roberson does such a good job of making the world come alive. That stated, without a steady progression of
Pablo Padilla

When it comes to the diversity of intelligent beings, I ha
Tom
Jul 04, 2012 Tom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book starts with an interesting premise: a 22nd century astronaut, placed in cryogenic hybernation for a trip to an extra solar planet, awakes twelve millennia later to find that the galaxy is a very different place. Intriguing right? What would the world of 12,000 years in the future be like?

The answer, sadly, is "full of stilted exposition and sci-fi cliches." I guess if this was one of the first sci-fi books you had ever read it would be interesting. As a longtime veteran of the genre, I
Donna Church
Jun 19, 2013 Donna Church rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Buck Rogers meets Star Trek meets. . . When RJ Stone is awakened several centuries after boarding an exploratory starship, he finds a whole new world waiting for his exploration. In this world, many animals have been uplifted to sentience and several galaxies connected. And, the inhabitants have created a faster than lightspeed ship that will venture further into space at his command. [return]This was a fun, funny book that played with all of the usual space travel tropes without taking itself ...more
Jeni De Jesús
I loved this book! Not just saying that because I love future Oregonian Chris Roberson, think his wife Allison is the coolest person on Twitter, and his kid Georgia will be a have a great future in comics. It was a great old school type sci-fi novel...when I have access to a computer other then at work, I will post a complete review of the novel on my blog (nerdygeekwife.cafepress.com). You must go straight to Amazon, do not pass go, and buy this book! Otherwise the Chimp in a silk robe may poke ...more
Bgmcleod
Jan 22, 2013 Bgmcleod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This sci-fi book takes place in the distant future-12,000 from now. It has characters in it like talking dogs and sentient killer whales, usually turn offs for me, but this book was quite entertaining. A man from the 22th century in a space ship, heading for a potential site of an earth colony, wakes up 12,000 years in the future. He has survived a system failureand is barely alive. He makes his way in an unimaginable future, finding out he and his original mission are the stuff of legend. First ...more
Jerry
Feb 16, 2013 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not without some flaws, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Some great ideas about the evolution of human culture in the distant future, explored in a thoughtful way. The characters were interesting, if not deep.
There was really only 1 thing that bugged me: the main characters had to make a series of really bad decisions to get in the trouble that they did (I will not give away specifics). I think that stretched my credulity more than any of the future tech.
Yossi
Jun 05, 2015 Yossi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty disappointing book. Feels like a pilot for a 80's sci-fi TV show. A lot of world building, very little plot and an end that feels like "the start of something new". However, as a pilot this would not make me want to see the rest of the series. I could not relate with any character and the world seemed over thought out and over complex.
Steven
Dec 25, 2013 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A vague post scarcity economy future, where nobody has needs and thus nobody has sensible motives. The author delights in describing bizarre futurestuff, which is at least interesting. The plot is weak. There are a ton of either dangling plot threads or unused sequel hooks. Weak, but it could have potential as a series.
Andy Chang
May 05, 2016 Andy Chang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wished people would rate this higher. Personally enjoyed every bit of this book. Truly a down right adventure story with a wild beginning and interesting end. However I would enjoyed it better if the ending was spectacular if this is the only book. Even more so if a second part of the book would be created.
  • Harmony
  • Only Superhuman
  • Nanomech
  • Dead Water
  • All of an Instant
  • Second Star (Star Svensdotter, #1)
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
  • The Devil's Nebula
  • Flesh and Gold (Lyhhrt Trilogy, #1)
  • Grey
  • Mercury Rests (Mercury #3)
  • vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)
  • Thirst
  • Edge of Infinity
Chris Roberson is a science fiction author and publisher based in Austin, Texas, best known for alternate history novels and short stories.
More about Chris Roberson...