Start by marking “The Pine Island Paradox” as Want to Read:
The Pine Island Paradox

The Pine Island Paradox

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In this warm, stimulating brew of personal stories, acclaimed author Kathleen Dean Moore uses the metaphor of an island to challenge the cynicism inherent in the Western worldview. A gifted storyteller with a sly sense of humor, Moore explores three separations brought to us by Enlightenment philosophers: the separation of human from nature, of things near and far away, an ...more
Published April 30th 2004 by Milkweed Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Pine Island Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pine Island Paradox

Jen K.
Oct 31, 2013 Jen K. rated it it was amazing
I've now read two books by Kathleen Dean Moore. Both center around the same themes of the power of the natural world to help us see the world in a different way. Yet even though this book covered similar ground to the one I read earlier this year, I never once felt it was repetitive or boring. Every word Moore writes is lyrical and beautiful and true. She's quickly become one of my favorite writers.
Courtney Johnson
This book was ok. I had to read it for one of my classes. I thought it was kind of boring and had too much description. I like human interaction in my stories more than I like pure description.
Ali
Apr 12, 2008 Ali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
By a philosophy prof and nature writer. Essays on stitching together the rent-asunder, mostly set in Alaska and Oregon. (She owns property on the Mary's River. She never described where it was, but I'm betting that it's between Blodget and Wren.)

Some new faces. Some new faces, who, from their comments, had been attracted by the environmental message of the book. So the book was preaching to the choir, yet again. We had a tendency to wander off the subject of the book, to our favorite camping spo
Rebecca Cripe
Feb 06, 2008 Rebecca Cripe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I had to read it for an environmental spiritual class and it was well worth it. I would love to be a person who lives by national forests and gorgeous untouched pieces of land but unfortunately that life is not in my near future...but I love reading about people that can enjoy Gods beautiful gift of nature!
This book was an easy read and the author had a wonderful gift and making you feel like you were right beside her experiencing kayaking along side sea lions in the pacific
David O'Hara
Nov 09, 2014 David O'Hara rated it really liked it
Beautiful.
Jan 02, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
A collection of nature essays, beautifully written, grounded largely in the Pacific Northwest (my home). I loved the connections she draws - nature, humans, cosmos, family, that which is simple and that which is vast, the sacred, the numinous, the everyday, thrilling, frightening, beautiful. Highly recommended.
Ann Gonzalez
Feb 22, 2009 Ann Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
I was an ignorant fool and hadn't heard or read Kathleen Dean Moore until I heard her speak at the Whidbey Island Writers Workshop. Wow. Her work is smart, funny, and vivid and compelling. I don't know how I'd missed out for so long...these stories are great.
Eli
Mar 06, 2009 Eli rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books, introduced to me by one of my favorite teachers. It speaks to environmentalism and an ethic of care. I have used this book to teach students about their enviroment and build a stronger connection.
Doranne Long
Feb 13, 2015 Doranne Long rated it it was amazing
I love reading all of Kathleen Dean Moore's books. I usually read them over again at least once a year. She is a master at describing the miraculous mysteries of this earth and challenges us to see them too.
Matthew John
Mar 21, 2008 Matthew John rated it it was amazing
Not that this tells anyone anything about this actual book, but: I've never read anyone whose thoughts on nature and culture and life so closely mirror my own. I really like this book.
Sunny Remington
A nice book on nature philosophy and connection with place. A story of a woman and her family, the benefits of their connection with nature on their yearly summer trips to Alaska.
Andrea
May 14, 2010 Andrea marked it as to-read
recommended by Eric May 2010
Paul Hoy
Feb 07, 2011 Paul Hoy rated it liked it
Excellent read.
Fernleaf
Fernleaf marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Sherisa Aguirre
Sherisa Aguirre marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Marija Radoman
Marija Radoman marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Karen McLeod
Karen McLeod rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Christopher Klein
Christopher Klein marked it as to-read
Elena Holmgren
Elena Holmgren marked it as to-read
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Jeannette Poulson
Jeannette Poulson marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Marjan
Marjan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Metalmother
Metalmother marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Tracink
Tracink rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
  • Settled in the Wild: Notes from the Edge of Town
  • Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal Investigation of Cancer and the Environment
  • It's a Guy Thing: A Owner's Manual for Women
  • Dawn Light: Dancing with Cranes and Other Ways to Start the Day
  • Raven's Exile: A Season on the Green River
  • Dreaming Up America
  • A Year in the Maine Woods
  • The Sweet Breathing of Plants: Women Writing on the Green World
  • Midlife Crisis at 30
  • Date or Soul Mate?: How to Know If Someone Is Worth Pursuing in Two Dates or Less
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
  • My Green Manifesto: Down the Charles River in Pursuit of a New Environmentalism
  • Woodswoman II: Beyond Black Bear Lake
  • The Singing Wilderness
  • First We Read, Then We Write: Emerson on the Creative Process
  • Providence of a Sparrow: Lessons from a Life Gone to the Birds
  • A Conservationist Manifesto
  • The Island Within
Environmental philosopher Kathleen Dean Moore writes about moral, spiritual, and cultural relationships to the natural world. In 2000 she founded the Spring Creek Project at Oregon State, which brings together the practical wisdom of the environmental sciences, the clarity of philosophy, and the emotive power of the written word to re-imagine humankind’s relation to the natural world. In addition ...more
More about Kathleen Dean Moore...