Start by marking “Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary Of Current English” as Want to Read:
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary Of Current English

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary Of Current English

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  844 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
A new, completely rewritten edition of the leading dictionary for learners of English. Now fully up to date, including many terms connected with the Internet and electronic communication. 4,500 words and meanings are new to this edition. Excellent coverage of both British and American English, and colloquial as well as formal English. All information is authenticated by th ...more
Published (first published 1948)

imad  Ali
Jul 01, 2015 imad Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هذا القاموس كان له الفضل الكبير بعد الله في تطوير وتحسين مستواي في اللغة الانجليزية
, حيث أنه قام يتغذيتي بكمية كبيرة من المفردات المزوده بشرح مبسط لها ,حيث جعلها سهلة الفهم راسخه في العقل.
هذا العجم برفقتي منذ خمس سنوات, ومازلت أتصفحه بلا كلل او ملل وكل ما اعتقدت اني اخذت كفايتي من هذا المعجم ,وأصبحت أملك مخزون جيد من المفردات ,أجد نفسي بحاجه للرجوع إليه , وكأنه يقول لي أنت تعلم القليل وتجهل الكثير لذلك فلا غنى لك عني.
Asra Ghouse
Jul 02, 2011 Asra Ghouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A dictionary is the best book anyone can read without tiring for a second. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary offers much more than just the meanings of words. With its pictorial representations (wherever possible) and numerous examples for each word/phrase/idiom, it provides a thorough understanding of the word in the most easy manner. It also contains various word games which provide an efficient manner for memorizing the words. Also, it contains the diphthongs and monothongs which help the ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary: Of Current English, Albert Sydney Hornby
Anna
Sep 22, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dictionaries
One of the best dictionaries I've ever used. Big, fat with large number of words, maps and pictures. Great.
Deborah
Oct 08, 2011 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Great use of words but lacking in plot.
Tom
Hornby, A.S. (ed.). (2010). Oxford advanced learner's dictionary (8th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Citation created by: Tom Shaw

Call Number: PE1628 .O86 2010

Description: Developed by leading scholars of the English language, this dictionary is a valuable resource for word definition and usage.

Content/Scope: Word definitions are detailed in multi-colored arrangements for easier access to entries. At more than 1700 pages, most words in the English language are contained herein including i
Alison
Dec 17, 2008 Alison is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have a dictionary in every drawer in reach. And a thesaurus (but I didn't want to come off as TOO dorky!!).... nothing's better than a good word :)
Soplada
Aug 03, 2013 Soplada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE my Advanced Learners Dictionary when I hold it I feel like a Professional :3
Miriam
One of the few books I never read to the end, but still a must-have.
umberto
Jan 12, 2011 umberto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today (May 9) I bought this paperback (8th ed.) as an essential language reference for my ongoing teaching, reading, writing, translating, verifying, etc. since this OALD has long been pioneering since six decades ago in the ELT/L field as the first monolingual English dictionary for non-native speakers of English. Such unique vision and mission by A.S. Hornby, E.V. Gatenby and H. Wakefield have since evolved into its second edition (I bought a hardcover and used it during my studies for higher ...more
Prithvi Raj
Tomi Pakei
Sep 04, 2013 Tomi Pakei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dictionaries, 0-ĎĿ
Helps you think, in English!
My Hornby is a low-priced edition, thirteenth impression, 1984. Dad bought this on Sept. 26, 1985, for just about US$2 (measured in current price). I love the appendices, illustrations, codifications.. (you name it). But most of all, I love the dictionary(!). Because, as promised:
It gives practical definitions and usage notes in simple English
And for someone like me to whom English is a foreign language, this is big deal. A very big deal—especially when dealing with a
Purie
On Oxford Advance Learner’s Dictionary of Current English (1995:325), Hornby stated that “Language is the system of communication in speech and writing that is used by people of particular country.”
Mobile Library
Mai
Apr 27, 2014 Mai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dictionaries
My favorite dictionary since college.I luv it and Enjoy reading it in my free time to expand my vocabulary :)
David Daigneault
Perfect for people when need the dictionary!!
Azam
Jul 01, 2015 Azam is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i like this dictionary
Steve Tragedy
Jan 17, 2015 Steve Tragedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book!!
Angellin6237
Apr 05, 2015 Angellin6237 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
it is good
Taspel
Dec 24, 2015 Taspel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good
Sutikno Diharjo
Jun 10, 2015 Sutikno Diharjo is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
rare

Georgia
Jun 14, 2014 Georgia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is by far the best English to English dictionary you can possible find in the market.I am currently studying for my proficiency certificate in English and this baby is always there when I need it.So if you are an advanced learner and wondering what dictionary to get,help is at hand!However I do have to mention that I am quite fond of the iWriter.It is brilliant,handy and extremely explanatory!I just love it so much...
Elisabeth
Jan 03, 2016 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, school-stuff
OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER'S DICTIONARY
Albert Sydney Hornby

[**** ] 4 Stars

First and foremost, thank you, Book. I shall never ever forget the incredibly useful knowledge and enlightenment you brought to my life and forever hold you dear to my heart.

Seriously though, this dictionary may very well be the best tool ever known to man-kind if you want to understand the ins-and-outs of the English language.
Hadi Vafaei
Dec 12, 2015 Hadi Vafaei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-learning
Simply the best! This dictionary includes everything you need, from word meanings to example sentences and illustrations, idioms, etc. Highly recommended for non-native English speakers. It also includes a writing tutor which I found really useful. This dictionary has been my best pal since I bought it. You won't find a better English learning guide than this one.
dali48
Nov 03, 2010 dali48 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent dictionary I got as a gift with the dedication "We wish you continued success" Debesai Zemui, Nighisti Embaye (Eritreans)... 30/10/81 Ellwangen (Germany) by my pupils as a teacher for German - it has been accompanying me since then through all these years as a teacher till today as a great help additionally to the Internet... (dali48)
Dr. Ravi Shankar
Very useful for finding the meaning of lot of words, well organized and in very planned manner, also a CD along it, purchased from amazon.co.in really good for any students/professional and for book lovers too very useful companion always on my table and use it regularly to finding lot of meanings
Oceana2602
Dec 18, 2009 Oceana2602 rated it it was ok
Shelves: language, english, 1997
"Leftover" from school. Guess they were renewing there collection, so we were allowed to keep these. Thanks, school. You didn't manage to teach me english, and you certainly tried to sabotage all my efforts to teach me myself, but you gave me this book. That's, you know, really nice.
André
May 25, 2008 André rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to André by: Steffi Jäcklin
Really good monolingual dictionary, with two colors, example phrases, lexical information where neccessary, pronunciation in IPA, some colored maps and illustrations and style guides... quite nice. But not perfect, there's no particular reason to give it the 5th star, so...
Makhabbat
very nice
Dariush
Jul 14, 2012 Dariush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a very nice dictionary , I have never used the paper one , when I bought that I've took the cd inside that and installed on my laptop which is very useful ! U could use as a reference of that and pretty sure u will be happy to buy it.
Word Game Change One letter 1 2 Oct 18, 2013 09:00AM
Harganya Berapa Sih? 1 7 Sep 17, 2008 09:06AM
  • Oxford Collocations Dictionary for Students of English
  • Practical English Usage
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized
  • Kamus Inggris-Indonesia (An English-Indonesian Dictionary)
  • English Grammar in Use with Answers: Reference and Practice for Intermediate Students
  • Oxford Dictionary of English