Start by marking “King of the Dollhouse” as Want to Read:
King of the Dollhouse

King of the Dollhouse

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A miniature royal family moves into the dollhouse of Ellie, an only child, and keeps her company the summer her mother is writing a story for children.
Published June 1st 1976 by Scholastic (first published 1974)

Among the Dolls by William SleatorTime Windows by Kathryn ReissThe Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren WrightDollhouse of the Dead by Kathryn ReissSweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge by Kathryn Reiss
Dollhouse Living
17th out of 34 books — 4 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamilloThe Magic City by E. NesbitThe Doll People by Ann M. MartinThe Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
Magical Toys
94th out of 94 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Decker
One day Ellie's dollhouse is suddenly occupied by a tiny king and his dozens of even tinier babies! Ellie has to put up with the king's attitude, use her creativity to provide for his family and give them appropriate facilities to use, and handle crises as they come.

As a kid it bothered me that this king and his miniature absent queen apparently had a hundred children that are all the same age. I hope mini-people don't use the same birthing process that big people do! There were also a lot of un
Swankivy
I had a dollhouse as a kid and loved the idea of an actual tiny family moving in. In this story, Ellie actually had it happen. Suddenly a king and his huge brood of tiny babies were living in the house, and she has to figure out how to provide for him. Using her imagination and ingenuity to make sure the king and his kids have food to eat and facilities to use, she marvels at their small size and enjoys her time with them when she has to amuse herself. (Her mother's busy writing a book, and she ...more
Deborah Kinisky
I read this book when I was a young girl and it impacted me so much that I wrote about it in my book "HerStory - Victim to Victorious available here

Emilydodge
read with my kids - it was fun. I've been reading books from my childhood to them which we all enjoy
Sharyn L.
I enjoy reading this book to my class. It has non-traditional gender roles. The king (father) is the primary caretaker of the Peanut Butter Babies, while the queen (Mother) is having adventures. At first the boys in my class don't want to hear a book that involves a dollhouse, but they quickly get over their inhibitions and enjoy the story.
Daria
This was one of my favorite books as a kid & still holds a special place in my heart. When Ellie hears a little voice say, "Drat!" she discovers tiny little King Bora Bora and his babies living in her dollhouse. She has to try to sneak them food and keep them entertained without her parents finding out.
Carrie
One of more than 100 children's novels from the 1970s left in the attic of my house. I'm slowly going through them to decide which to keep for my daughter. This one is sweet and charming, with the oddly acceptable strangeness of an ages-old fairy tale.
Yasmin
I'm pretty sure Ellie gives the King a toothpaste cap to use as a cup. I remember thinking this was a great idea.
Kenna
There's just something very magical about this book (:
Very fond memories.
Shanon
I read this book over and over and over. A favorite from my childhood.
Deena
I adored this book. I wish I knew where my copy is.
CLM
Aug 20, 2009 CLM marked it as to-read
Oddly, I don't remember reading this.
Nicole Modie
My favorite book as a kid!
Maddie
This is my favorite book.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Chantel Donnan
Chantel Donnan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Spruce
Spruce added it
Nov 27, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Patricia Clapp was born in Boston and attended the Columbia University School of Journalism. Her first novel, Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth, was a runner-up for the 1969 National Book Award for Children's Literature. Her other books include, I'm Deborah Sampson, King of the Dollhouse, Dr. Elizabeth, and Jane-Emily. She also authored many plays for children.
More about Patricia Clapp...
Jane-Emily Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth The Tamarack Tree Jane-Emily: And Witches' Children Witches' Children