Start by marking “King of the Dollhouse” as Want to Read:
King of the Dollhouse

King of the Dollhouse

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A miniature royal family moves into the dollhouse of Ellie, an only child, and keeps her company the summer her mother is writing a story for children.
Published June 1st 1976 by Scholastic (first published 1974)

Among the Dolls by William SleatorTime Windows by Kathryn ReissThe Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren WrightThe Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth WinthropDollhouse of the Dead by Kathryn Reiss
Dollhouse Living
24th out of 35 books — 7 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsThe Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid BanksThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamilloThe Doll People by Ann M. MartinCoraline by Neil Gaiman
Magical Toys
92nd out of 94 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Decker
Feb 11, 2014 Julie Decker rated it really liked it
One day Ellie's dollhouse is suddenly occupied by a tiny king and his dozens of even tinier babies! Ellie has to put up with the king's attitude, use her creativity to provide for his family and give them appropriate facilities to use, and handle crises as they come.

As a kid it bothered me that this king and his miniature absent queen apparently had a hundred children that are all the same age. I hope mini-people don't use the same birthing process that big people do! There were also a lot of un
Swankivy
Apr 23, 2013 Swankivy rated it really liked it
I had a dollhouse as a kid and loved the idea of an actual tiny family moving in. In this story, Ellie actually had it happen. Suddenly a king and his huge brood of tiny babies were living in the house, and she has to figure out how to provide for him. Using her imagination and ingenuity to make sure the king and his kids have food to eat and facilities to use, she marvels at their small size and enjoys her time with them when she has to amuse herself. (Her mother's busy writing a book, and she ...more
Deborah Kinisky
Apr 16, 2015 Deborah Kinisky rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a young girl and it impacted me so much that I wrote about it in my book "HerStory - Victim to Victorious available here

Emilydodge
May 02, 2015 Emilydodge rated it really liked it
read with my kids - it was fun. I've been reading books from my childhood to them which we all enjoy
Sharyn L.
I enjoy reading this book to my class. It has non-traditional gender roles. The king (father) is the primary caretaker of the Peanut Butter Babies, while the queen (Mother) is having adventures. At first the boys in my class don't want to hear a book that involves a dollhouse, but they quickly get over their inhibitions and enjoy the story.
Daria
Jul 19, 2008 Daria rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was one of my favorite books as a kid & still holds a special place in my heart. When Ellie hears a little voice say, "Drat!" she discovers tiny little King Bora Bora and his babies living in her dollhouse. She has to try to sneak them food and keep them entertained without her parents finding out.
Carrie
Apr 28, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of more than 100 children's novels from the 1970s left in the attic of my house. I'm slowly going through them to decide which to keep for my daughter. This one is sweet and charming, with the oddly acceptable strangeness of an ages-old fairy tale.
Yasmin
Mar 18, 2011 Yasmin rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I'm pretty sure Ellie gives the King a toothpaste cap to use as a cup. I remember thinking this was a great idea.
Kenna
Jun 15, 2011 Kenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
There's just something very magical about this book (:
Very fond memories.
Shanon
Jan 26, 2010 Shanon rated it it was amazing
I read this book over and over and over. A favorite from my childhood.
Deena
May 21, 2015 Deena rated it really liked it
I adored this book. I wish I knew where my copy is.
CLM
Aug 20, 2009 CLM marked it as to-read
Oddly, I don't remember reading this.
Nicole Modie
Sep 15, 2013 Nicole Modie rated it it was amazing
My favorite book as a kid!
Maddie
Apr 25, 2013 Maddie rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book.
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Crissy
Crissy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Jennifer Duff
Jennifer Duff marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Veronica Stanley-Katz
Veronica Stanley-Katz rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
Dec 25, 2015
Soscha
Soscha rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2015
Kiri
Kiri rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Kathleen Wolf Davis
Kathleen Wolf Davis rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Jessica Connors
Jessica Connors marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Patricia Clapp was born in Boston and attended the Columbia University School of Journalism. Her first novel, Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth, was a runner-up for the 1969 National Book Award for Children's Literature. Her other books include, I'm Deborah Sampson, King of the Dollhouse, Dr. Elizabeth, and Jane-Emily. She also authored many plays for children.
More about Patricia Clapp...