Start by marking “Look Away, Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #2)” as Want to Read:
Look Away, Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #2)

Look Away, Beulah Land (Beulah Land Trilogy #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  11 reviews
It was made of passions, obsessions, and dreams, a golden-age Georgia plantation that would survive the flames and fury of the Civil War only to face Sherman's fierce guerrilla army...clash with the cunning carpetbaggers and their powerful corruption...seeth with the secret sins, loyalties, and lusts of three generations...and spawn an extraordinary family of men and women ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Look Away, Beulah Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Away, Beulah Land

The Godfather by Mario PuzoStrong Medicine by Arthur HaileyThe Firm by John GrishamThe Plantation by George McNeillOn Wings of Eagles by Ken Follett
the word
14th out of 55 books — 10 voters
The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Last Full Measure by Jeff ShaaraGods and Generals by Jeff ShaaraNorth and South by John Jakes
Great Fiction for Civil War Buffs
18th out of 25 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon
This is the second book in the "Beulah Land" trilogy, and far more brutal than the first.

This is a story of the violent and hardscrabble Reconstruction era in the South following the Civil War. The Elk family, which has long loathed the Kendrick family, takes advantage of the Union presence to try to bring low the people of Oaks and Beulah Land. Atrocities are committed that brought me to tears, despite an understanding that these were things that really did happen in the past. What this told me
LemonLinda
This continues the story of all of the people who are Beulah Land through the terror and devastation of the last days of the Civil War and their struggle to hold on to the land and the people they held so dear during the years of Reconstruction. Sarah Kendrick may not have been born to the plantation but it has become hers to love, to care for and to save from the clutches of her enemies.

This is the Antebellum South in its lowest period and one where those of means may have lost their prosperity
Sarah J. Bradley
Going back to my grade school years, I remember loving this book, so I reread it recently. This book does not hold up. I think, given the mores of late 70's middle America where I grew up, the book was a shocking, engrossing escape. But now, decades later, I find the whole book less about legitimate story telling and more about jumps from one gratuitous shock to another. While I'll probably always hold on to my nostalgic memories of my first reading, this book is going into the Goodwill box.
♥ Marlene♥
Sep 18, 2013 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: two or 3 times
Shelves: fiction, romance, series
On Sunday, July 01, 2007 I wrote:

It arrived!!! book 2. Now I have all 3 (does happy dance)

on Friday, July 27, 2007

8 out of 10
Read this book 2 weeks ago. I love the atmosphere in the Beulah land books. They are easy to read, but not boring at all. Lots of things happens. I
Book 2 was pretty good. 8.5
Going to lend them to my mom
Pamela L
A good series!
Graceann
Nov 29, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
Sequel to Beulah Land from the same author - more of the family ties are strung tightly through the pages of this generational saga. I'm a sucker for these, and the Beulah Land books are no exception.
The Twins
Dark and heavy at times, but i never read anything from this time before and even if you didn't get a lot of historical information - still a good read at bedtime!
Doris House
Sep 10, 2010 Doris House is currently reading it
What is was like for the slaves after they were freed and what it the war did to the economy of the South.
Kathleen Rowley
It's been awhile since I read this sequil to Beulah Land...but the Coleman stuck to it's roots.
Mar71mar
Excellent! It really wrapped up the stories from Part 1, Beulah Land.
S.B. Lerner
The second in the trilogy. As good as the first.
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Gwademan
Gwademan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Diana Gibson
Diana Gibson marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Dianne Bergsma
Dianne Bergsma marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
nancy
nancy added it
Jan 08, 2015
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sharon Smartt
Sharon Smartt marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Night's Pawn (Shadowrun, #10)
  • My Dearest Cecelia: A Novel of the Southern Belle Who Stole General Sherman's Heart
  • Southern Rapture
  • The Vines of Yarrabee
  • The Glory Cloak: A Novel of Louisa May Alcott and Clara Barton
  • Wish Come True (Carson Springs Novel)
  • Master of Falconhurst
  • The Plantation
  • Fairoaks
  • Martin's Mice
  • Forbidden Flowers
  • The Bride Ransom (Civil War Brides, #4)
  • 11th Hour Rose (Langston Brothers #3)
  • Secrets, Spies & Sweet Little Lies (Secrets & Spies, #1)
  • Iron Branch: A Civil War Tale of a Woman In-Between
  • War Chief (The White Indian Series #3)
  • Beyond the Wood
Born William Laurence "Lonnie" Coleman. American novelist and playwright best known for writing the Beulah Land trilogy. His first novel was published in 1944. Coleman was an associate editor at Ladies Home Journal, 1947-1950, and at Collier's, 1951-1955.

Coleman's 1959 novel "Sam" is considered a groundbreaking novel in American literature in its depiction of homosexuality and metropolitan gay lif
More about Lonnie Coleman...

Beulah Land Trilogy (3 books)
  • Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #1)
  • The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3)
Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #1) The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3) Orphan Jim Sam Mark